ADVERTISEMENT

It's A Hockey Night In Pittsburgh !

This is not new, but I blasted Jim Rutherford the previous offseason, then Hextall last off season and again at the trade deadline to get some veteran backup like the Pens had with Tomas Vokoun or Thomas Greiss, a guy like that. And this is going to bite them the second playoffs in a row.

It's a shame. And hey Domingue may become folklore, but we are playing the best goalie in the world right now. The shame of it is, these 3 pillars of Penguin hockey's careers (together) are going to come to an end because of this.
Buddy the starter and backup is hurt -
I suppose if the point was a different veteran and desmith as the 3 and don as the 4th-
That’s quite a stretch to think 2 goalie injuries in the playoffs is a fault of management
Nobody advances using a 3rd string goalie the majority of the series

I suppose if the point was a different veteran and desmith as the 3 and don as the 4th-
That’s quite a stretch to think 2 goalie injuries in the playoffs is a fault of management
Yeah, I sure can’t fault management either. Casey DeSmith was/is a more than adequate backup. How much can you plan for not 1 but 2 goalies going down.

When you’re tight up against the salary cap like the pens have been, how do you fit in better and more expensive 3rd and 4th string goalies? What other holes in the lineup do you not address just to have a better 2nd/3rd string goalie?

Yeah, I sure can’t fault management either. Casey DeSmith was/is a more than adequate backup. How much can you plan for not 1 but 2 goalies going down.

When you’re tight up against the salary cap like the pens have been, how do you fit in better and more expensive 3rd and 4th string goalies? What other holes in the lineup do you not address just to have a better 2nd/3rd string goalie?
I was joking when I posted that.
They're up against the best goalie in the world and even 1-1 in the series on the road. They need to score more than two goals per game if they are to win.
My actual point is that it isn't the fault of the goalies. They've given the chance to win.
Disclaimer: I am a goalie. It is NEVER the goalies fault. Back me up on this @goalieman .

Reactions: goalieman
I know. I know. But I am saying, I am not so sure DeSmith was a reliable #2.

They're up against the best goalie in the world and even 1-1 in the series on the road. They need to score more than two goals per game if they are to win.
My actual point is that it isn't the fault of the goalies. They've given the chance to win.
Disclaimer: I am a goalie. It is NEVER the goalies fault. Back me up on this @goalieman .
As another goalie myself, it’s never our fault. I was talking to my posts the other night, and they agreed with me too.

I know. I know. But I am saying, I am not so sure DeSmith was a reliable #2.
But he actually is.
If desmith was someone we traded for your perception is likely different

he struggled for a stretch - got right for the end of the season in relief - and was very good in game 1 for 7 periods

As another goalie myself, it’s never our fault. I was talking to my posts the other night, and they agreed with me too.
Let’s be honest -
Our inability to promptly clear the defensive zone - or to at least clear the net front for vision -
Is far more a culprit than our goalies

that lines 2 and 3 can’t sustain possession or generate offensive pressure one shot in the zone is the difference

the rangers 2 and 3 lines are the difference in game 2

Absolutely agree with you ....... our two goalies were both outstanding in Game 1 and were one of the big reasons we won ...... in Game 2, Domingue gave up 5 goals but 4 were on deflections where he didn't really have a chance to make the save and the 5th goal I discussed above which was a tough save chance ...... so he didn't give up any bad/soft goals in Game 2 .......

I had no doubt the Pens would take this series to the limit ..
The outcome now with 2 junior goalies .. Well .
Stranger things have happened .

Yeah, I knew you were joking. But I don’t think Recruits was.

In any case, we’re unfortunately down to our 3rd goalie. Through 2 games so far, sure can’t fault our goalie play for the one we lost and they sure were integral contributors to winning the first one. Now going forward, we’ll see what happens.

Last year, I think most agree that our goalie play was a major contributor and likely primary reason for our 1st round exit. So far based on 2 games in this year, can’t say the same thing…..yet.

But he actually is.
If desmith was someone we traded for your perception is likely different

he struggled for a stretch - got right for the end of the season in relief - and was very good in game 1 for 7 periods
No, this is NOT hindsight. DeSmith is slight, Jarry is slight, Murray is slight, just would like to have had a more durable and proven backup.

Jarry skated today in the optional.
Baby steps...........???
Maybe he made went to Lourdes on the Off day?

I'm going to be in trouble. I forgot that my wife is doing zoom church upstairs. I'm down here dropping f bombs flipping off the Rangers. Then the door slams. Oops!

GREAT 1st period for the Pens ....... long way to go so have to keep it up !
Rangers might call me up from NZ Beer League B grade.
We play the "Phantoms" tonight, so team bonding experience curling against our A grade affiliate.
The Rangers could have had me in net tonight. Instead I'll be on the piss cross-checking people with that curling sweeping thing.

• Haha
Reactions: goalieman
Is that a Craft Beer League?
Mostly Speights. They are the local mass production beer. But one of our teams is sponsored by Emersons, a local craft brewery. The sponsorship is free beer for the games. I keep trying to get traded to that team for that reason alone.

You can never blame everything on a goaltender, but pens know they have an ECHL level goalie in Domingue. This shouldn’t be a shock.

You can never blame everything on a goaltender, but pens know they have an ECHL level goalie in Domingue. This shouldn’t be a shock.
70 has been fine. He made the first save on Letang's f up. That was a PP and the Rangers had a second player win the race to the rebound.
Carter was slow getting back on the goal on the saucer pass. Open shots from there go in.
The other one was a scramble where he made four saves already.
I forget the other one.
Pens got completely dominated in that period.

70 has been fine. He made the first save on Letang's f up. That was a PP and the Rangers had a second player win the race to the rebound.
Carter was slow getting back on the goal on the saucer pass. Open shots from there go in.
The other one was a scramble where he made four saves already.
I forget the other one.
Pens got completely dominated in that period.
Pens needed to come out in the 2nd period just like they played in the 1st period ........ get the puck deep, fierce forecheck and win the battles, have the Rangers defense turn it over and get to the net ...... instead they came out too lackadaisical, the Rangers started using their speed, scored early, got the momentum, and Domingue got overwhelmed with shots ....... we chase Shesterkin and they come back with 3 goals to tie it ...... need better effort and simplify/smart play in the 3rd period with getting pucks deep and physical forecheck.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Totally pathetic to play a 2nd period like that with a 3 goal lead. I guess they thought the Rangers would quit down3.

Get rid of all of them, Letang, Matheson and Malkin. He looks so disinterested tonight, missing tap ins now smh. Yes the puck was not steady but that was an easy goal Geno whiffed on.

And just when we started to get momentum again we take another stupid penalty. Sullivan era was great for awhile, time for a new coach too. This loss if it happens would be an epic collapse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT