ADVERTISEMENT

Jackie Sherrill: ‘A lot of mistakes I’ve made in my life. Leaving Pitt was one of them.’

Tiger Paul Lives

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 17, 2003
a Trib article.

It’s been 39 years since Jackie Sherrill’s last game as head coach of the Pitt Panthers.

After three straight 11-1 seasons, four bowl victories and a career record of 50-9-1, he now sounds like someone who wishes he had never left.

“There’s a lot of mistakes I’ve made in my life. Leaving Pitt was one of them,” Sherrill told me Wednesday.

Sherrill made the comments while discussing his induction to the University of Pittsburgh Athletics Hall of Fame. That news was released Tuesday. The ceremony will take place Oct. 16 at Heinz Field.

He’ll join the likes of fellow Panther football legends Craig “Ironhead” Heyward, Curtis Martin, Bob Peck and Glenn Scobey “Pop” Warner. Basketball standout Brandin Knight and former baseball star Ken Machaare also among the inductees.

Sherrill’s relatively brief but successful tenure ended after the 1981 season, when he accepted a $1.6 million deal at Texas A&M.

That’s $1.6 million over five years, by the way. A number that was shockingly high in 1982. At the time, that was a record contract for a college football coach.

Sherrill’s estimated total compensation package when he left Pitt was $175,000. He was also said to be dubious of some looming changes within the structure of the athletic department.

As a result, Sherrill zipped down to College Station, where he won the Southwest Conference three times and had a 52-28-1 record over six years with the Aggies. After a 7-5 season in 1988 and a two-year probation levied by the NCAA, Sherrill resigned. Two years later, he went to Mississippi State and won a school-record 75 games. But he enjoyed just two bowl wins in 13 seasons while slogging through the challenging SEC and finished with a record of 75-75-2 there.

So, despite 127 coaching victories in two major conferences after leaving Pitt, Sherrill still regrets his decision to leave Western Pennsylvania. Especially when the Panthers were as good as they were. After all, quarterback Dan Marino was about to enter his senior season.

“If (Sherrill and his family) had stayed, I have no doubt, with the team we had, we would’ve won it all in ‘82. Certainly, with Danny being the leader that he was,” Sherrill said.

Maybe. Marino’s senior season wasn’t as good as his previous years with the Panthers. Perhaps that would’ve been different if Sherrill stayed.

There were rumblings in the early ’90s that Sherrill may come back to Pitt. I asked Sherrill whether the temptation ever flashed through his mind.

“It certainly did,” Sherrill said. “But it didn’t materialize. It kind of passed real quickly.”

Sherrill wasn’t done there, giving a few more notable nuggets.

On his desire that Pitt still played football on campus: “I wished that they had never moved the stadium away from Pitt,” Sherrill said. “I always felt they could’ve built the colosseum up (on the top of the hill) and be able to have a walkway built. Have luxury boxes built in the stadium. Remodel it. And have people walk back and forth.

Sherrill bemoaned the empty seats at Heinz Field, particularly on days when he thinks the team may be drawing enough fans to look like a satisfactory turn out.

“Heinz Field is very difficult,” Sherrill continued. “You have over 60,000. And even if it’s not full, you could still have a good crowd.”

Optimism of seeing college football in the fall of 2020: “You have a lot of people in a lot of universities saying ‘yes,’ they are going to be open. When you get quite a few saying they will be open, a lot of people will follow suit.”

What if a college football playoff existed during his years coaching the Panthers: “We would’ve been there three, four, maybe five years if there had been a playoff.”

On eventually patching up his relationship with Joe Paterno: The former Penn State coach was known to take a shot or two at Sherrill, particularly in the wake of an alleged 1978 recruiting feud.

“It was a fierce competition,” Sherrill said.

“Years later, I was invited to Penn State for a game. I spent time with coach Paterno at his house and at a recruiting dinner he had. He had me speak to the team. I said, ‘Coach, I’m only here because you invited my wife, and I’m a tagalong,’ ” Sherrill recalled. “And he said, ‘Well, maybe that’s true.’

“A couple years later, they played A&M in the Alamo Bowl and I went up to him and wished him good luck. He put his arms around my shoulders, looked me square in the eye, and said, ‘Jackie, you don’t mean that.’ ”

Sherrill paused.

“And I laughed and said, ‘Well, maybe that’s true.’ ”

There is plenty more from Sherrill in our podcast about coaching Marino, seeing the Steelers pass on him in the draft, and what life was like coaching as one of the Eastern Independents.

sherrill left for one thing ..................$$$$$$. it always is -always will be.jopa hated jackie-fiercely. he was taking food from joe's table.
Sherrill left to be the highest paid college football coach in the country, true, but he also knew Pitt's admin was going to inflict mortal wounds to Pitt football soon.

1A and 1B. Flip a coin for the order.

Reactions: PittAU
"He was also said to be dubious of some looming changes within the structure of the athletic department."

Translation: Pitt was about to clean some stuff up with boosters, academic reporting, etc..

Anyway, long live Jackie. He got the job done in a way nobody else at Pitt in my lifetime has even come close to.

Reactions: BPKY
sherrill left for one thing ..................$$$$$$. it always is -always will be.jopa hated jackie-fiercely. he was taking food from joe's table.

At one point when hypocrite Joe was asked about coaching pro football, he was quoted in print saying that:

"No, I can't leave this game to the Barry Switzer's and Jackie Sherrill's of this world".

Imagine the gall and arrogance! Meanwhile, at the time he said that (1979-1980), Joe had Jerry Sandusky on his staff for over 10 years and was aiding and abetting a serial pedophile by covering up for him.

So, no, regardless of any platitiudes that are mentioned now, there was no love lost between the 2 of them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/philad...ed-abrasive-egocentric-and-unsympathetic/amp/

Last edited:
At one point when hypocrite Joe was asked about coaching pro football, he was quoted in print saying that:

"No, I can't leave this game to the Barry Switzer's and Jackie Sherrill's of this world".

Imagine the gall and arrogance! Meanwhile, at the time he said that (1979-1980), Joe had Jerry Sandusky on his staff for over 10 years and was aiding and abetting a serial pedophile by covering up for him.

So, no, regardless of any platitiudes that are mentioned now, there was no love lost between the 2 of them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/philad...ed-abrasive-egocentric-and-unsympathetic/amp/

No One was happier to see Jackie leave Pitt than Paterno! NO ONE!!!

* Joe arriving at the gates of hell. Satan places his arms around Joe's shoulders...

Satan: "Welcome to hell Joe!"

Paterno: "Satan. You don't mean that."

Satan: "Oh, but I do mean it Joe. But I do..."

Last edited:
Nice to see Kenny Macha inducted in the Hall of Fame.
The most competitive human being I ever met. He hated to lose at ANYTHING!
Played on a lot of intramural sports teams with him back in the day, and most recently saw him at the O before a hoops game.
Nice to catch up with him, and he hadn't changed a bit, except the white hair!

Here is a description of went down from No Experience Require: Jackie Sherrill and the Texas A&M's 12th Man Kickoff Team by Caleb Pirtle, 2008, pages 18-23. Keep in mind that Sherrill himself wrote the books introduction.

Sherrill had a better-than-average financial arrangement at Pittsburgh but was suffering from a malady that often struck successful coaches. He simply felt as though Pittsburgh, at least the hierarchy within the institution, did not appreciate him or the job he was doing. Little things, which in time became big things, kept happening to his program without his knowledge. Late one afternoon, for example, he learned in an elevator ride that a new opponent had been added to the Pitt schedule, and no one had bothered to tell him. He had to prepare for a team and had no idea who the team was. Jackie Sherrill was a man who liked to be in charge, and, at Pittsburgh, he was, day after day, at someone else's mercy. He frankly did not like the idea of always being obliged to follow someone else's rules. Jackie Sherrill was his own rules maker.

The head football coach's job at Pitt, when Sherrill joined Johnny Major's staff in 1973, was widely considered to be the worst college job in the country. The program had sunk dreadfully to unfathomable depths, had not produced a winning record in a decade, was staggering off a 1-10 record, had been outscored the year before, 350-193, and had been beaten by Penn State for the past eight years. Majors had told his coaches, bring in anybody who can help us win, and Sherrill promptly began tracking down and hounding players from Georgia, Florida, Maryland, Ohio, and, of course, Western Pennsylvania.

Sherrill returned to head the program in 1977 and discovered that, even after a national championship, the political landscape of Pittsburgh sports remained unaltered. He made some immediate changes, worked hard, traveled night and day on the recruiting trail, and faced a constant struggle against the corporate structure of the university, one governed by too many regulations established at too many board meetings, and drawn up by too many self-appointed dignitaries who wanted to meddle with his football program. Sherrill had to fight to secure pay increases for his assistants. He had to fight to buy new socks for his football team. It was a never-ending fight from daylight to dark, and the pressure from outside sources was beginning to smother him. He led the Panthers to a 9-2 record, and the Pittsburgh press blatantly called him the worst coach in America. Even when his team when 11-1 for three consecutive years, Pittsburgh had not been able to sell out the stadium, and newspaper were continuing to criticize the job he had done. At Pitt, Sherrill realized that he was trapped in a no-win situation.

Sherrill listened to Brandt's unofficial overture from Bright and McKenzie, then said, sure, I'm interested in Texas A&M.
Would you really leave Pittsburgh?

For Texas A&M, I would.

You know that Bo Schembechler is their first choice, Brandt carefully explained.

Sherrill shrugged nonchalantly. Bo would certainly be my first choice, he replied.

Before the East-West Shrine game, Sherrill sought out Schembechler and urged him to make the move from Michigan. The job at A&M, Sherrill said, is the greatest opportunity in college coaching today.

Bo smiled.

Maybe it was.

Maybe not.

Jackie Sherrill was about to find out.

As soon as Bo Schembechler had firmly declined the offer, William McKenzie was on the phone to Pittsburgh. I'd like to talk to you more about Texas A&M, he told Sherrill. Is there a chance we can get together and talk it over?

I don't know, Sherrill replied. First, I'll have to clear it with my athletic director. He believed in honesty and protocol above all else.

If he has no objections, McKenzie said, feeling his way through the conversation, let me know when I can be there.

How soon can you come?

Tomorrow.

Tomorrow worked out fine.
Bond hooked up with McKenzie and John Blocker at Love Field in Dallas. As the clock ticked toward the afternoon side of noon, the three men headed north by northeast on one of Blocker's private planes. By five-thirty, they were knocking on the front door of Sherrill's large, two-story home. He and his wife had plans to host a dinner buffet that evening, but, don't worry, Sherrill told them all, we have a couple of hours before any of the guests arrive. He was as jovial and as hospitable as a genteel country gentleman, although those dark, deep-set, smoldering eyes of his were absolutely hypnotic. When he walked into the room, Jackie Sherrill was definitely in charge. No one doubted it for a minute. The three representatives from A&M followed him into his study, heard the door close behind them, and opened their briefcases. The men only thought they had been prepared. Jackie Sherrill had every detail outlined and underlined, and he answered almost every question before it could be asked. He knew how to run a football team, a business, and certainly the study of his own home.

For two hours, the talk was mixed with a little supper, and the A&M hiring committee waited together in secrecy while Sherrill left to play the gracious host for awhile. On the far side of the door, among the Panther faithful, no one was harboring any foggiest of ideas that Jackie Sherrill just might be a negotiation point or two, a dollar or two away from leaving Pittsburgh as abruptly as he had arrived. It had nothing to do with football. It was all about business. But then, somewhere down through the years, football had become as big a business as there was in the country.

When Sherrill returned, the talks, during the next three hours, gradually took on a more serious form of negotiations. McKenzie refused to leave without making an offer. Sherrill had no intention of letting anyone on the committee leave before an offer was placed on the table. Sherrill was quite willing to play hardball and hard to get. After all, he had a potential National Championship team waiting for him in Pittsburgh. What exactly did Texas A&M have to propose that was any better?

The A&M representatives walked away in the darkness of night. No one had seen them arrive, seen them depart, or had any idea who they were or why they happened to be in Pittsburgh on such a brutally cold night. A fresh layer of snow blanketed the ground. The temperature had fallen on the sough side of zero. Sherrill had not given them a final decision. He wanted to meet with Frank Vandiver first, but McKenzie wondered privately if that would be such a good idea.

The next morning, early on Sunday, McKenzie called the A&M president and reported that Jackie Sherrill had not yet taken the job and would not take the job without meeting personally with Vandiver to discuss, among other things, the recruitment of new staff.

Vandiver frowned. He did not quite understand the unspoken message being cloaked by McKenzie's words. He paused for a moment, then asked, what does an athletic director need with a staff?

It's a little more complicated than that, the attorney told him.

What do you mean?

Jackie will only come to A&M if he's hired as both athletic director and head football coach.
Vandiver felt as though he had taken a sudden shot to the midsection. He realized that the decision to hire a football coach had been made behind his back – neither Bright nor McKenzie had bothered to consult with him – and he knew that Tom Wilson’s pride would be a taking a serious beating. The man was being treated shabbily and probably unfairly. A coach was losing his job, was out on the road recruiting somewhere, and still in the dark as far as his future at A&M or anywhere else, for that matter, was concerned.​

Reactions: Pittparade

Jackie Sherrill’s plane touched down on Monday, January 18, and he, along with Gil Brandt, met briefly with the A&M athletic council before sitting down to business in Vandiver’s office. The discussions were formal, low key, and cordial. The president had the authority to make it all official, but he had already been given his orders and the key to the bank by Bum Bright. Whatever Jackie Sherrill wanted, within reason, and almost every request was within reason, he would receive.

The new Aggie head football coach and athletic director walked out with a five-year rollover contract, meaning it would be automatically renewed at the end of every year and always have five years remaining on the ultimate life of the agreement. Sherrill’s base salary, paid from athletic department funds, totaled $95,000, which was five thousand dollars more than Vandiver received each year. The ship was righted a month later when the president’s salary was increased to $100,000. The regents were able to guarantee another $130,000 a year from television and radio programming, as well as from board memberships and a few assorted endorsement deals. Using private donations to the athletic program, the university managed to subsidize half the purchase price of a new home, with Sherrill paying the other half. The coach received an insurance policy valued at close to $200,000, two cars, and a paid membership to the prestigious Briarcrest Country Club.

Bum Bright had been right.

The earnings of a big-time, college football coach had indeed become as glamorous and almost as lucrative as the oil business. Jackie Sherrill and Frank Vandiver signed on the dotted line. They stood and shook hands. No criticism. No dispute. No disagreements. No second thoughts, at least not on the surface.

The deal had been struck.

The A&M faculty was outraged. One disgruntled professor simply shook his head and said, it will take ten years to recover from this. The university, some wrote, had been exposed as an institution seemingly willing to pay any price for a national championship in football, and the price, for some, had been exorbitant. The Washington Post reported that the events transpiring at Texas A&M were characterized by a quality of rawness and insensitivity that shocked even those people who had grown accustomed to big money in college football. As the newspaper said, Texas A&M was not, after all, Michigan or Notre Dame, searching to replace a legend. It was a university with a mediocre reputation in athletics grasping for greatness.

According to card-carrying members of the national media, who had pieced together every dollar and cent scattered throughout the fine print of Sherrill’s contract, the new Aggie coach was earning $267,000 a year. For the five-year length of its terms, the salary totaled a little more than $1.3 million, which, the press claimed, made Jackie Sherrill America’s first million-dollar coach. True or not, repeated twice and printed once, the label stuck.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Pittparade
Just wish we could have kept Jackie!
Wasn't the AD bozik at the time?
Don't remember anymore.
Just remember Danny wearing a tee shirt that said no
where else but Texas. I knew it was over for us.
Foge had his heart in the right place but didn't have
the mean streak that Jackie had. Such a sad, sad day
for Pittsburgh

The Pittsburgh newspapers criticized his every move. Shocking.
Of course they did.....it's what you do when you have nowhere else to go.
Sherrill did not make a mistake. Pitt did and it starts with the rare combination of arrogance and ignorance.
Jackie is protecting his legacy because he cares about his players. But he did not make a mistake.

Clearly, Sherrill at Pitt was ahead of its time, and unfortunately uncharted territory for both Universities and coaches.

Jackie was pioneering into uncharted territory with the deal he got and college football would never be the same. Kind of the beginning of an arms race.

Pitt was wrong for not seeing what was happening and staying firmly planted in the old days and old ways. Remember, Pitt was not far removed from its attempt to become Ivy League light. Foreign language requirement for everyone, including football players, etc.

Remnants of the tug of war between academics and athletics still exist today. Like the herpes virus that later comes back as shingles, it is lying there dormant ready to pounce again.

Pitt had it rolling but did not realize that it was Majors/Sherrill that was the driving force, not the institution. A sad lesson learned and payed for for 40+ years!

Clearly, Sherrill at Pitt was ahead of its time, and unfortunately uncharted territory for both Universities and coaches.

Jackie was pioneering into uncharted territory with the deal he got and college football would never be the same. Kind of the beginning of an arms race.

Pitt was wrong for not seeing what was happening and staying firmly planted in the old days and old ways. Remember, Pitt was not far removed from its attempt to become Ivy League light. Foreign language requirement for everyone, including football players, etc.

Remnants of the tug of war between academics and athletics still exist today. Like the herpes virus that later comes back as shingles, it is lying there dormant ready to pounce again.

Pitt had it rolling but did not realize that it was Majors/Sherrill that was the driving force, not the institution. A sad lesson learned and payed for for 40+ years!
I often wondered if those 7 years (75-82) happened when the Steelers weren't on their dynastic run, how much more of an impact would it have made on the status of Pitt football? But then, you hear these things, and while external factors didn't help, the implosion happened from the inside more than the outside.

No college football program has repeatedly self sabotaged itself after getting to the highest of heights. Little did they realize how much of a revenue generator it would become. But in Pitt's case, it's potential was always going to limited by the Steelers. But if Pitt's great run occurred during say the 80's dry spell of the Steelers, maybe it would have gotten more of a foothold with the general public.

But the other things, PSU just has so much political pull, both in politics and within the media. Pitt just has so many challenges.

I often wondered if those 7 years (75-82) happened when the Steelers weren't on their dynastic run, how much more of an impact would it have made on the status of Pitt football? But then, you hear these things, and while external factors didn't help, the implosion happened from the inside more than the outside.

No college football program has repeatedly self sabotaged itself after getting to the highest of heights. Little did they realize how much of a revenue generator it would become. But in Pitt's case, it's potential was always going to limited by the Steelers. But if Pitt's great run occurred during say the 80's dry spell of the Steelers, maybe it would have gotten more of a foothold with the general public.

But the other things, PSU just has so much political pull, both in politics and within the media. Pitt just has so many challenges.
Yes, it was a magic time and hard to believe it even happened.
College football was waaaaaay different back then. Not the $$ juggernaut it is today.
The Northeast was still relevant, the WPIAL was super strong, there wasn't the facility arms race, salaries were reasonable (even though some didn't realize it).

Your point about the Steelers is well taken. They had also been dormant their entire existence and a punchline of a franchise. Chuck Noll changed all of that and Pittsburgh was starved for a football winner. Pitt would have given them that, but unfortunately, the Steelers beat them to it.
Prior to Noll, the Steelers played in Pitt stadium to small crowds. Now we have the opposite situation! Oh the irony!

the Dallas media did the same thing to SMU. It’s low hanging fruit in a major market. You can bust the local college teams balls repeatedly because you’re too big of a wussy to risk criticizing the popular pro team.

exactly. Remember in the 70's when John Clayton was on the Steelers beat? He discovered the Steelers were practicing in full pads in the off-season, or something to that effect. Wrote a story for the PG (or Press, can't remember) exposing it and it cost the Steelers a draft pick or two. He was quickly banished off the beat and out of Pittsburgh, which actually turned out ok for him as he had some national fame as a sports writer. I think Myron Cope led the charge to expel him, but the Rooney's were certainly behind it as well. So after that you had Ernie Holmes shooting his gun for no apparent reason on a highway and barely a word mentioned about it. And it continues to this day.

Pitt didn't even exercise the $2 million buyout for Sherrill.

Then it didn't even interview Jimmy Johnson or George Welsh.

Hard to believe the quantum of mistakes made by the school the past 40 years.

and conversely, remember the fuss he made when Pitt fired Foge? I wonder why?
Foge was 1-2-1 against PSU, but you look inside those numbers and Pitt could very well have been 3-1. Foge could have brought the 85 Bears in third place. His teams demonstrated no killer instinct and let the big games slip away time after time. Paterno knew he would dominate Foge over the long haul.

What you surmise about Pitt and the Steelers in the 80s has fascinated me for years. Suppose Pitt had kept its foot on the gas pedal. Kept Sherrill or made a smart coaching hire and found a guy to keep the program winning big at the 9-10 average?

Then the Steelers hit the skids, the Noll magic is gone but fans still thirst for a winner. I doubt the Steelers would have been knocked off their perch as the fans' darling, but Pitt would have carved out its share of positive attention instead of being a perennial butt of snarky columnists. Further, Pitt might have blunted the appeal of PSU in this market despite the JoePa-kissing media. And Pitt would have made it tougher on the rising programs at WVU and Syracuse. Most of all, Pitt would have built on, not squandered, the successes of the Majors/Sherrill era. What might have been......

Yes, it was a magic time and hard to believe it even happened.
College football was waaaaaay different back then. Not the $$ juggernaut it is today.
The Northeast was still relevant, the WPIAL was super strong, there wasn't the facility arms race, salaries were reasonable (even though some didn't realize it).

Your point about the Steelers is well taken. They had also been dormant their entire existence and a punchline of a franchise. Chuck Noll changed all of that and Pittsburgh was starved for a football winner. Pitt would have given them that, but unfortunately, the Steelers beat them to it.
Prior to Noll, the Steelers played in Pitt stadium to small crowds. Now we have the opposite situation! Oh the irony!
For most of primordial Steelers history -- 1933 through 1969 -- the Jungle Cats and Rooney U (as the newspapers called them) were locked in a race to see who could field the worse team. Pittsburgh was a football cemetery at the college and pro level. The Steelers found the golden acorn (Noll) a few years before Pitt.

For most of primordial Steelers history -- 1933 through 1969 -- the Jungle Cats and Rooney U (as the newspapers called them) were locked in a race to see who could field the worse team. Pittsburgh was a football cemetery at the college and pro level. The Steelers found the golden acorn (Noll) a few years before Pitt.

Well, not from 1933 to 1939 when Pitt won national championships in 1934, 1936, and 1937, was ranked as high as #1 in the AP and finished #8 in 1938, and had an in-season #1 AP rankings in 1939.

There were also top 15 finishes and Sugar and Gator Bowl appearances in 1955 and 1956, and in-season appearances in the AP top 20 each year from 1952 to 1960, and a finish at #4 in the AP in 1963.

The Steelers had only 8 seasons above .500 (one of which was as the Steagles) and one playoff appearance (under Jock) from 1933 to 1969 and no conference or division titles. Pitt had 15 seasons above .500 over the same period, three national titles, and four eastern championships, one of which was in the 50s. But yes, the 40s were bad as was the rest of the 60s, and the 50s to early 60s was a bunch of mediocrity punctuated by a few individual great seasons, but Pitt was generally more successful until the later 60s when the bottom fell out.

What you surmise about Pitt and the Steelers in the 80s has fascinated me for years. Suppose Pitt had kept its foot on the gas pedal. Kept Sherrill or made a smart coaching hire and found a guy to keep the program winning big at the 9-10 average?

Then the Steelers hit the skids, the Noll magic is gone but fans still thirst for a winner. I doubt the Steelers would have been knocked off their perch as the fans' darling, but Pitt would have carved out its share of positive attention instead of being a perennial butt of snarky columnists. Further, Pitt might have blunted the appeal of PSU in this market despite the JoePa-kissing media. And Pitt would have made it tougher on the rising programs at WVU and Syracuse. Most of all, Pitt would have built on, not squandered, the successes of the Majors/Sherrill era. What might have been......

Think about this......we were #1 in the country, 10-0, going into 1981 Penn State game. We jump ahead 14-0, driving inside the 20 to make it 21-0. Pitt just 5 years prior won a National title, and a Heisman winner. Pitt was 22-2 the previous two season. Pitt is going to punch it in, beat PSU for the 3rd year in a row and 4 out of the last 6 and go on to win a National Title.

Penn State picks the ball off, scores the next 48 points. Pitt still finishes 11-1 with the big win over Georgia.

Pitt starts off 1982 and unanimous #1 in preseason polls. Pitt crashes an burns to a 9-3 season and....AND....Penn State goes on to win their first national title. In a span of 13 months, the dynamics of the two programs changed forever. Forever. Never coming back.

If I was magic, and could have two things over.......
1) Marino doesn't throw that pick (or DC doesn't get clocked in the end zone)
2) Pitt keeps Sherrill.

Think about it. Pitt could have won the National titles for the 81 and 82 seasons. That would have been 3 in 7 years? How many more would they have won during the 80's? Probably another. Hell, Paterno may have been driven into the NFL by Pitt.

But...that didn't happen. Pitt happened. As it always does.

Foge was 1-2-1 against PSU, but you look inside those numbers and Pitt could very well have been 3-1. Foge could have brought the 85 Bears in third place. His teams demonstrated no killer instinct and let the big games slip away time after time. Paterno knew he would dominate Foge over the long haul.

bottom line... Pitt parted ways with Foge as soon as they realistically could. By 1985, no one wanted the job. Gottfried was not exactly a hot commodity. At least 2 head coaches had declined interviews. It was as bad as 1997. A mere 2 seasons from a Fiesta Bowl bid.

bottom line... Pitt parted ways with Foge as soon as they realistically could. By 1985, no one wanted the job. Gottfried was not exactly a hot commodity. At least 2 head coaches had declined interviews. It was as bad as 1997. A mere 2 seasons from a Fiesta Bowl bid.

1985 I am 5 years old. What 2 coaches declined interviews and what were their reasons. Also how was it as bad as 1996 (1997 was the year Harris brought Pitt back to the Liberty Bowl), 1996 was the year Ohio St/David Boston made Pitt look like a HS Freshman team.

Gottfried had been where? Morehead State? He turned out to be a decent coach. And they ran him off. He held his own against PSU (2-2).

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
Think about this......we were #1 in the country, 10-0, going into 1981 Penn State game. We jump ahead 14-0, driving inside the 20 to make it 21-0. Pitt just 5 years prior won a National title, and a Heisman winner. Pitt was 22-2 the previous two season. Pitt is going to punch it in, beat PSU for the 3rd year in a row and 4 out of the last 6 and go on to win a National Title.

Penn State picks the ball off, scores the next 48 points. Pitt still finishes 11-1 with the big win over Georgia.

Pitt starts off 1982 and unanimous #1 in preseason polls. Pitt crashes an burns to a 9-3 season and....AND....Penn State goes on to win their first national title. In a span of 13 months, the dynamics of the two programs changed forever. Forever. Never coming back.

If I was magic, and could have two things over.......
1) Marino doesn't throw that pick (or DC doesn't get clocked in the end zone)
2) Pitt keeps Sherrill.

Think about it. Pitt could have won the National titles for the 81 and 82 seasons. That would have been 3 in 7 years? How many more would they have won during the 80's? Probably another. Hell, Paterno may have been driven into the NFL by Pitt.

But...that didn't happen. Pitt happened. As it always does.
That interception.... damn what an athletic play by the DB.... I remember my heart freezing. Like, uh oh... With the talent on the 82-83 teams I think Pitt avoids the Gerry Faust debacle and splits the two with Penn State. They sure as hell would have played a better Cotton Bowl. But as you say... Pitt happened.

Well, not from 1933 to 1939 when Pitt won national championships in 1934, 1936, and 1937, was ranked as high as #1 in the AP and finished #8 in 1938, and had an in-season #1 AP rankings in 1939.

There were also top 15 finishes and Sugar and Gator Bowl appearances in 1955 and 1956, and in-season appearances in the AP top 20 each year from 1952 to 1960, and a finish at #4 in the AP in 1963.

The Steelers had only 8 seasons above .500 (one of which was as the Steagles) and one playoff appearance (under Jock) from 1933 to 1969 and no conference or division titles. Pitt had 15 seasons above .500 over the same period, three national titles, and four eastern championships, one of which was in the 50s. But yes, the 40s were bad as was the rest of the 60s, and the 50s to early 60s was a bunch of mediocrity punctuated by a few individual great seasons, but Pitt was generally more successful until the later 60s when the bottom fell out.
Remiss of me to forget the glorious 1930s at Pitt. Can I plead that it was before my time?

a Trib article.

It’s been 39 years since Jackie Sherrill’s last game as head coach of the Pitt Panthers.

After three straight 11-1 seasons, four bowl victories and a career record of 50-9-1, he now sounds like someone who wishes he had never left.

“There’s a lot of mistakes I’ve made in my life. Leaving Pitt was one of them,” Sherrill told me Wednesday.

Sherrill made the comments while discussing his induction to the University of Pittsburgh Athletics Hall of Fame. That news was released Tuesday. The ceremony will take place Oct. 16 at Heinz Field.

He’ll join the likes of fellow Panther football legends Craig “Ironhead” Heyward, Curtis Martin, Bob Peck and Glenn Scobey “Pop” Warner. Basketball standout Brandin Knight and former baseball star Ken Machaare also among the inductees.

Sherrill’s relatively brief but successful tenure ended after the 1981 season, when he accepted a $1.6 million deal at Texas A&M.

That’s $1.6 million over five years, by the way. A number that was shockingly high in 1982. At the time, that was a record contract for a college football coach.

Sherrill’s estimated total compensation package when he left Pitt was $175,000. He was also said to be dubious of some looming changes within the structure of the athletic department.

As a result, Sherrill zipped down to College Station, where he won the Southwest Conference three times and had a 52-28-1 record over six years with the Aggies. After a 7-5 season in 1988 and a two-year probation levied by the NCAA, Sherrill resigned. Two years later, he went to Mississippi State and won a school-record 75 games. But he enjoyed just two bowl wins in 13 seasons while slogging through the challenging SEC and finished with a record of 75-75-2 there.

So, despite 127 coaching victories in two major conferences after leaving Pitt, Sherrill still regrets his decision to leave Western Pennsylvania. Especially when the Panthers were as good as they were. After all, quarterback Dan Marino was about to enter his senior season.

“If (Sherrill and his family) had stayed, I have no doubt, with the team we had, we would’ve won it all in ‘82. Certainly, with Danny being the leader that he was,” Sherrill said.

Maybe. Marino’s senior season wasn’t as good as his previous years with the Panthers. Perhaps that would’ve been different if Sherrill stayed.

There were rumblings in the early ’90s that Sherrill may come back to Pitt. I asked Sherrill whether the temptation ever flashed through his mind.

“It certainly did,” Sherrill said. “But it didn’t materialize. It kind of passed real quickly.”

Sherrill wasn’t done there, giving a few more notable nuggets.

On his desire that Pitt still played football on campus: “I wished that they had never moved the stadium away from Pitt,” Sherrill said. “I always felt they could’ve built the colosseum up (on the top of the hill) and be able to have a walkway built. Have luxury boxes built in the stadium. Remodel it. And have people walk back and forth.

Sherrill bemoaned the empty seats at Heinz Field, particularly on days when he thinks the team may be drawing enough fans to look like a satisfactory turn out.

“Heinz Field is very difficult,” Sherrill continued. “You have over 60,000. And even if it’s not full, you could still have a good crowd.”

Optimism of seeing college football in the fall of 2020: “You have a lot of people in a lot of universities saying ‘yes,’ they are going to be open. When you get quite a few saying they will be open, a lot of people will follow suit.”

What if a college football playoff existed during his years coaching the Panthers: “We would’ve been there three, four, maybe five years if there had been a playoff.”

On eventually patching up his relationship with Joe Paterno: The former Penn State coach was known to take a shot or two at Sherrill, particularly in the wake of an alleged 1978 recruiting feud.

“It was a fierce competition,” Sherrill said.

“Years later, I was invited to Penn State for a game. I spent time with coach Paterno at his house and at a recruiting dinner he had. He had me speak to the team. I said, ‘Coach, I’m only here because you invited my wife, and I’m a tagalong,’ ” Sherrill recalled. “And he said, ‘Well, maybe that’s true.’

“A couple years later, they played A&M in the Alamo Bowl and I went up to him and wished him good luck. He put his arms around my shoulders, looked me square in the eye, and said, ‘Jackie, you don’t mean that.’ ”

Sherrill paused.

“And I laughed and said, ‘Well, maybe that’s true.’ ”

There is plenty more from Sherrill in our podcast about coaching Marino, seeing the Steelers pass on him in the draft, and what life was like coaching as one of the Eastern Independents.

They should have made a run at him after Wlat left.

Gottfried had been where? Morehead State? He turned out to be a decent coach. And they ran him off. He held his own against PSU (2-2).

Murray State, Cincy and Kansas. Upset #2 Oklahoma with the Jayhawks and KU went back to its 1-10 self the rest of the 80s after Mike left. Gottfried checked all the boxes you want as a coach. Being a little crazy didn’t help his cause but better bosses than the Pitt administration would have dealt with it.

He was also 2-2 versus Notre Dame and my favorite, 1-0 versus Ohio State.

He brought the passing game to Pitt and when he finally had his QB he was fired. Pitt's past of hitting rock bottom has always been self inflicted. It could have a very solid to spectacular past, but it just hasn't been important enough to those who matter since 1938.

Although being in the same town as the Steelers has had a significant impact on Pitt, consider this,

Even after Sherril left, after Foge was fired, the administration let Pitt go back to mediocrity. Firing Gottfried.....hiring...and firing Hackett, JM2, and on and on it goes.

How many seasons did Pitt not go bowling...in an era where as an independent, they shared bowl money with no one.

How far ahead would this program have been if the brass made even a half-assed effort to maintain a winning football program ? How many millions did we walk away from over the years?

Murray State, Cincy and Kansas. Upset #2 Oklahoma with the Jayhawks and KU went back to its 1-10 self the rest of the 80s after Mike left. Gottfried checked all the boxes you want as a coach. Being a little crazy didn’t help his cause but better bosses than the Pitt administration would have dealt with it.

He was also 2-2 versus Notre Dame and my favorite, 1-0 versus Ohio State.

He brought the passing game to Pitt and when he finally had his QB he was fired. Pitt's past of hitting rock bottom has always been self inflicted. It could have a very solid to spectacular past, but it just hasn't been important enough to those who matter since 1938.
Sad but true.

Yes that OSU game.... then we lose three in a row. Gottfried was also 2-1-1 vs. WVU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT