ADVERTISEMENT

Jackie Sherrill: ‘A lot of mistakes I’ve made in my life. Leaving Pitt was one of them.’

Sad but true.

Yes that OSU game.... then we lose three in a row. Gottfried was also 2-1-1 vs. WVU.
We did lose to two teams who played in the title game. Just imagine if Pitt had Major Harris and not WVU.

That BC loss when up 31-19 in the fourth is what plagues our program to the day. Richards' fumble allowed BC to come back. That was a fun 6-5 season, odd as that sounds.

We did lose to two teams who played in the title game. Just imagine if Pitt had Major Harris and not WVU.

That BC loss when up 31-19 in the fourth is what plagues our program to the day. Richards' fumble allowed BC to come back. That was a fun 6-5 season, odd as that sounds.

Gottfried would have still found a way to screw it up. Not better than Walt, Narduzzi or Wanny. Marginally better than Chryst.

Even if Sherrill passed on A&M wouldn't he have been #1 on the list to replace Bear Bryant when he retired?

If he stayed, the frustration of dealing with the Killer B's for the 82 season may have led him to Alabama the following year when Bear retired.

Sherrill probably wins it all in 82, but not a given. That game at State College would have been difficult even for him but I guarantee he wouldn't punt on 3rd down like Foge did.

But again, you need an admin that is "all in" and Sherrill would not have had that here.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther

The major Harris to pitt is the biggest ‘what if’ in pitt history. Maybe takes a backseat to ‘what if’ we hired jimmy Johnson in ‘78 but even that is a reach cause I think he leaves a year or two later regardless.

The major Harris to pitt is the biggest ‘what if’ in pitt history. Maybe takes a backseat to ‘what if’ we hired jimmy Johnson in ‘78 but even that is a reach cause I think he leaves a year or two later regardless.

Gottfried would have switched offenses every year with Hackett finally totally ruining Major.

Major was such a talent that the offense would have scored more than 24 total points in the final three games that season that a change likely would not have happened. Then again, Gottfried was a little crazy and may have made a move just for the sake of making one.

The OC who was fired, Mike Dickins, never coached again I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT