ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Bilas - SEC playing football - NCAA has no regulation over this....

May 6, 2017
I was listening to Bilas yesterday talking about the Jordan documentary when he was comparing Len Bias to Jordan.. They switched gears and talked about what sports will look like this fall.

Bilas said that if the SEC or any other league want to play football that the NCAA doesn't have jurisdiction over football decisions. I didn't really understand it. He made it sound like they do for the other sports but not football. He said he fully believes football will be played this fall. There is "way too much money involved" for these universities.

Did anyone see this on ESPN?

I was listening to Bilas yesterday talking about the Jordan documentary when he was comparing Len Bias to Jordan.. They switched gears and talked about what sports will look like this fall.

Bilas said that if the SEC or any other league want to play football that the NCAA doesn't have jurisdiction over football decisions. I didn't really understand it. He made it sound like they do for the other sports but not football. He said he fully believes football will be played this fall. There is "way too much money involved" for these universities.

Yes - I heard it. $$$

I didn’t hear it but someone will be playing football this fall who? Probably SEC Big 12 after that who knows.

Ask professor SeanMillerFan. He's a pure genius.

Yea. Any college can do whatever they want as long as they don't have to adhere to rules set by their governing body (ie NCAA). If the SEC wants to play in the fall and pack their stadiums, they can do so if their governors allow. They would just have to do so on their own outside of the NCAA. In another thread I said this was possible. Unlikely but possible.

This also goes back to me saying schools may just play Independent schedules in the fall to cut down on travel and for other reasons.

Reactions: Nashville Panther
My question is, if students aren’t allowed on campus per that home states Governor, how can they justify letting athletes on campus?

I think these analysts are looking at it through the sports side only, rather than the university as a whole.
Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking. Football won’t go on without students on campus, which is dictated by the governor.

i can’t possibly imagine colleges and high schools ( elementary schools as well ) being online in the fall though so I think it’s a moot point.

Sadly, I was never a celts fan back then, I rooted for the lakers (I’m ashamed to admit this now). With that said, if Bias doesn’t pass away, who does he start over?? Mchale? Was he a PF? Obviously bird plays so do you have bias coming off bench?

I guess you could eat into ainge’s minutes and have DJ, bird, bias, mchale and Parrish but would you be at a disadvantage having bird cover the other teams shooting guard.

Yea. Any college can do whatever they want as long as they don't have to adhere to rules set by their governing body (ie NCAA). If the SEC wants to play in the fall and pack their stadiums, they can do so if their governors allow. They would just have to do so on their own outside of the NCAA. In another thread I said this was possible. Unlikely but possible.

This also goes back to me saying schools may just play Independent schedules in the fall to cut down on travel and for other reasons.

Make one prediction. One. You aren’t allowed to make 6 and then take credit for being right when you predicted every possibility conceivable.

My question is, and I think it’s a long shot but what happens if some states open up schooling and some don’t. Southern schools open up but Mass. and Pa don’t. Does BC and pitt just not play and the other teams in acc do? Obviously that creates issues.

Again, a long shot and I can’t imagine a few states not opening up if a majority of the other states do. The backlash would be too great for any governor to have that on their record.

but if it did, what a mess that would make.

Sadly, I was never a celts fan back then, I rooted for the lakers (I’m ashamed to admit this now). With that said, if Bias doesn’t pass away, who does he start over?? Mchale? Was he a PF? Obviously bird plays so do you have bias coming off bench?

I guess you could eat into ainge’s minutes and have DJ, bird, bias, mchale and Parrish but would you be at a disadvantage having bird cover the other teams shooting guard.
The only way Bias was coming off anyone's bench was for the center jump to start the game.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
If the SEC wants to play in the fall and pack their stadiums, they can do so if their governors allow. They would just have to do so on their own outside of the NCAA. In another thread I said this was possible. Unlikely but possible.

Uhhh, no.

In another thread you said, and I quote,

"There is a o.ooooo% chance that fans will be allowed to attend NFL or college games in less than 4 months"

Thread titled "NCAA Presidents "

Just to be clear.

Growing up, Bias was the equivalent of Mario or Clemente in my living room for Pittsburgh people. My dad was a diehard MD fan. I'm going to be "biased" lol.. However, I don't think Lenny was going to stop Michael's greatness or dominance. I do think he had the chance to be something awesome. If Lebron and Mike had a baby it would be Lenny.

I think Lenny would've played the 3 or 2. Within a year he would've taken someone's job on that Celtics team. Who that was? Probably Ainge. Or maybe Ainge goes to the point..

Make one prediction. One. You aren’t allowed to make 6 and then take credit for being right when you predicted every possibility conceivable.

Uhhh, no.

In another thread you said, and I quote,

"There is a o.ooooo% chance that fans will be allowed to attend NFL or college games in less than 4 months"

Thread titled "NCAA Presidents "

Just to be clear.

Right and that is my prediction. I am pointing out that it is possible, though highly unlikely that the SEC (and Big 12 maybe), football-first universities in areas which haven't been hit that hard by COVID and have mostly Republican governors, could play a fall season with fans outside of the NCAA. This isn't my prediction as its very far-fetched. If this were to happen, I could see the ACC, Big Ten, and Pac12, the 3 academics-first conferences in areas which were hit harder by COVID and have many Democrat governors pushing the season to the 2nd semester in the hopes the virus will be at lower levels then.

I agree, these guys are looking purely at the sport part of things. (and unfortunately so do many of these colleges). I love Bilas, he's a smart guy, like his calls of college basketball games, but he has become almost over the top in his advocacy of college player's rights.

While I agree with some better compensation, but if you are going to turn this into another pro league, with unfettered free agency, and wild wild west payments, the big powers just constantly getting rich devouring the smaller programs, then let's remove the hypocrisy in total, and stop with the "student" part of student athlete.

Right and that is my prediction. I am pointing out that it is possible, though highly unlikely that the SEC (and Big 12 maybe), football-first universities in areas which haven't been hit that hard by COVID and have mostly Republican governors, could play a fall season with fans outside of the NCAA. This isn't my prediction as its very far-fetched. If this were to happen, I could see the ACC, Big Ten, and Pac12, the 3 academics-first conferences in areas which were hit harder by COVID and have many Democrat governors pushing the season to the 2nd semester in the hopes the virus will be at lower levels then.

"right, that is my prediction "

And two sentences later,

"this isnt my prediction as it's very far fetched"

#noonetakesyouseriously

"right, that is my prediction "

And two sentences later,

"this isnt my prediction as it's very far fetched"

#noonetakesyouseriously

Prediction: no football in the fall

Far-fetched idea that is not my prediction: SEC and maybe Big 12 play a fall season outside of the NCAA.

Do you understand what a prediction is and what isnt a prediction isnt?

SMF, I can’t for the life of me see how one or two P5 programs play in the fall and the rest play in the spring. Talk about going rogue.

That would cause havoc in major college football that would never be undone.

Franklin of PSU said as far as he knows the BIG10 is playing and if a program like Rutgers in NJ isn't ready to go the conference will move ahead without them.

I believe Ziese reported this on his broadcast.

Last edited:
SMF, I can’t for the life of me see how one or two P5 programs play in the fall and the rest play in the spring. Talk about going rogue.

That would cause havoc in major college football that would never be undone.

Conferences and schools need to change their stance on playing with no fans or no kids on campus. If schools are willing to play with 0 fans on 0 kids on campus, college football can be played in the fall juat like the NFL. My prediction of no fall football is based on dozens of quotes from administrators saying they arent playing with 0 fans or 0 kids on campus.

As for the far-fetched scenario, I could see the NCAA saying we are delaying to the winter and the SEC and Big 12 saying "eff you," we need out football. Dont eff with our football. There's no guarantee of a winter season so we are playing in the fall without you. I wouldn't predict this but these are unprecedented times.

Prediction: no football in the fall

Far-fetched idea that is not my prediction: SEC and maybe Big 12 play a fall season outside of the NCAA.

Do you understand what a prediction is and what isnt a prediction isnt?

Ok, we have you on record... "no football in the fall". Since you've been the most vocal and most insistent in your prediction, we are going to hold you to account...

Don't look now, but Disney World may open up this summer.... Can fall football be far behind??? Follow the money....

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/disney-world-hotel-reservations-july-reopening-coronavirus

Ok, we have you on record... "no football in the fall". Since you've been the most vocal and most insistent in your prediction, we are going to hold you to account...

Don't look now, but Disney World may open up this summer.... Can fall football be far behind??? Follow the money....

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/disney-world-hotel-reservations-july-reopening-coronavirus

Shanghai Disneyland opened yesterday at 30% capacity so I could see DW doing something similar eventually. I have said college football CAN play in the fall without fans. My prediction is based on administrators including Heather Lyke saying they won't play without fans. I, in fact, think they SHOULD play even if no fans are allowed. Its all about TV revenue

Here is my prediction: football will be played this Fall. It may be delayed a month, but by October every weekend will have a full slate of football games with limited fans. Football is too important of an institution in this country, too big of a business, and too important to the country’s quality of life and morale for it not to happen. Politicians want it to happen badly. The only people who don’t want football to return are the millennials in the media who want every excuse not to go back to normal because it either further weakens and defeats the Trump Administration (in their mind) or because going back to normal means they have to get out of bed, out of their apartment and back to real work.

Is Bilas correct when he asserts that if colleges want to play football, the NCAA does not have jurisdiction in this decision?

BTW, Georgia just opened up HS football.

I've gotten word that PA will have football in some fashion.

Not every school I can tell you that . I live here

Kemp is saying summer camps can open for kids

Let’s just say parents ARENT really psyched are all about that prospect

where I live isn’t even supposed to peak for about another week.

Just because others are being completely irresponsible doesn’t mean I will ... going to friggen restaurants without a mask ... Jesus H ... it’s literally the Darwin Awards for some...

Per our AD at our high school. Fall sports are
iffy at best in Pa.
He honestly doesn't expect to have a fall sports
schedule.

Franklin of PSU said as far as he knows the BIG10 is playing and if a program like Rutgers in NJ isn't ready to go the conference will move ahead without them.

I believe Ziese reported this on his broadcast.
What’s the B1G going to do if Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State can’t play? I can’t see the Governor’s in those states allowing crowds of any size or even allowing massive campuses like those three schools to even be open.

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking. Football won’t go on without students on campus, which is dictated by the governor.

i can’t possibly imagine colleges and high schools ( elementary schools as well ) being online in the fall though so I think it’s a moot point.
All the experts say a second and much worse wave of this virus is coming probably late summer or fall. Maybe Bilas should take that into consideration.

Probably says NCAA has no jurisdiction over shoe companies and Duke alumni getting $$$$ to Zion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT