ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Madden: Pitt needs what college football used to be, not what it has become

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
Some interesting comments

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-ma...e-football-used-to-be-not-what-it-has-become/

College football is beyond screwed up and not worth paying attention to unless you’re a fan of one of the chosen few and can look past being on the grifter’s end of a con game.

So it’s a lot like following MLB.

College football’s latest carny move is the SEC’s absorption of Oklahoma and Texas at the quiet behest of ESPN, which wants to see the Big 12 dissolve by way of shedding rights fees that the network currently pays the conference. The Big 12 signed a 13-year, $2.6-billion deal with ESPN and Fox in 2012. The agreement is back-loaded, and the Big 12 title game costs extra.

The Big 12 filed a cease-and-desist against ESPN, accusing the network of steering schools to other conferences.

It’s a difficult story for ESPN to objectively cover. Fortunately, ESPN stopped objectively covering most things years ago. (ESPN’s leverage over college football is overwhelming, not least because ESPN has exclusive rights to the playoff, which likely expands to 12 teams in 2023.)

This isn’t the end. The SEC will keep poaching teams in its quest to become the NFL of college football. Wait till they kick out Vanderbilt and add Southern Cal. That’s not exactly “Southeast.”

But the NCAA is both powerless and gutless. The SEC runs college football.

Alabama quarterback Bryce Young has yet to start a collegiate game, but he’s already agreed to roughly $1 million in name, image and likeness rights deals. Pitt quarterback Kenny Pickett, by contrast, got himself and his offensive linemen a free meal every week.

Ohio State recruit Quinn Ewers, a top-rated quarterback from Texas, is skipping his senior season of high school ball and will start college early so he can start pocketing NIL money right away.

College football is becoming more and more like the NFL. That ignores and compromises its main selling point, namely that it’s not like the NFL.

It’s all good for Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and the like.

It’s not so good for Pitt.

Pitt badly needs what college football used to be.

Pitt just isn’t a proper ACC school. Any Pitt fan who says he/she cares about the ACC is lying. Pitt doesn’t have a single rival in the ACC, nor a game to look forward to.

Pitt football has no buzz. The most highly anticipated events are the sporadic nonconference games vs. Penn State and West Virginia. Those games were once the anchor of Pitt’s program but mean considerably less now because of their diluted and occasional nature.

Pitt has no on-campus stadium. Leaving and demolishing Pitt Stadium in 1999 was a crippling mistake that even the most lame-brained saw coming a mile away. Pitt football committed suicide when that decision was made. Petersen Events Center and college basketball don’t remotely matter by comparison.

Truly blue-chip WPIAL prospects don’t dot Pitt’s roster anymore and won’t. When the next Tony Dorsett, Dan Marino or Bill Fralic comes along, he won’t go to Pitt.

Pitt needs to be in an Eastern conference playing meaningful games against legit rivals. The value of Big East football wasn’t realized till it was gone.

But Big East football is dead and has been since 2012. It’s not coming back.

Rivalries created by geographic proximity and tradition are the lifeblood of college football. That’s still the case in truly elite college football markets despite conference realignment. Ohio State and Michigan always will play. So will Alabama and Auburn. Oklahoma and Texas, too. Those schools have their cake and eat it, too.

Pitt has got nothing.

College football takes from the small and gives to the big. That’s more evident every day and just isn’t going to stop

Some interesting comments

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-ma...e-football-used-to-be-not-what-it-has-become/

College football is beyond screwed up and not worth paying attention to unless you’re a fan of one of the chosen few and can look past being on the grifter’s end of a con game.

So it’s a lot like following MLB.

College football’s latest carny move is the SEC’s absorption of Oklahoma and Texas at the quiet behest of ESPN, which wants to see the Big 12 dissolve by way of shedding rights fees that the network currently pays the conference. The Big 12 signed a 13-year, $2.6-billion deal with ESPN and Fox in 2012. The agreement is back-loaded, and the Big 12 title game costs extra.

The Big 12 filed a cease-and-desist against ESPN, accusing the network of steering schools to other conferences.

It’s a difficult story for ESPN to objectively cover. Fortunately, ESPN stopped objectively covering most things years ago. (ESPN’s leverage over college football is overwhelming, not least because ESPN has exclusive rights to the playoff, which likely expands to 12 teams in 2023.)

This isn’t the end. The SEC will keep poaching teams in its quest to become the NFL of college football. Wait till they kick out Vanderbilt and add Southern Cal. That’s not exactly “Southeast.”

But the NCAA is both powerless and gutless. The SEC runs college football.

Alabama quarterback Bryce Young has yet to start a collegiate game, but he’s already agreed to roughly $1 million in name, image and likeness rights deals. Pitt quarterback Kenny Pickett, by contrast, got himself and his offensive linemen a free meal every week.

Ohio State recruit Quinn Ewers, a top-rated quarterback from Texas, is skipping his senior season of high school ball and will start college early so he can start pocketing NIL money right away.

College football is becoming more and more like the NFL. That ignores and compromises its main selling point, namely that it’s not like the NFL.

It’s all good for Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and the like.

It’s not so good for Pitt.

Pitt badly needs what college football used to be.

Pitt just isn’t a proper ACC school. Any Pitt fan who says he/she cares about the ACC is lying. Pitt doesn’t have a single rival in the ACC, nor a game to look forward to.

Pitt football has no buzz. The most highly anticipated events are the sporadic nonconference games vs. Penn State and West Virginia. Those games were once the anchor of Pitt’s program but mean considerably less now because of their diluted and occasional nature.

Pitt has no on-campus stadium. Leaving and demolishing Pitt Stadium in 1999 was a crippling mistake that even the most lame-brained saw coming a mile away. Pitt football committed suicide when that decision was made. Petersen Events Center and college basketball don’t remotely matter by comparison.

Truly blue-chip WPIAL prospects don’t dot Pitt’s roster anymore and won’t. When the next Tony Dorsett, Dan Marino or Bill Fralic comes along, he won’t go to Pitt.

Pitt needs to be in an Eastern conference playing meaningful games against legit rivals. The value of Big East football wasn’t realized till it was gone.

But Big East football is dead and has been since 2012. It’s not coming back.

Rivalries created by geographic proximity and tradition are the lifeblood of college football. That’s still the case in truly elite college football markets despite conference realignment. Ohio State and Michigan always will play. So will Alabama and Auburn. Oklahoma and Texas, too. Those schools have their cake and eat it, too.

Pitt has got nothing.

College football takes from the small and gives to the big. That’s more evident every day and just isn’t going to stop

He is right

Reactions: UP_WarStreets21
Why should anyone care what that fat sack of crap says? He doesn’t like or care about Pitt. His opinion is the equivalent to that of a skunk in the woods.
Because he's 100% right. Pitt football is fine, just for the social aspect. it's fun to go see friends at a tailgate party, or watch a regular season game on TV, the sport of college football as a whole is garbage and getting worse every year, there's nothing to be excited about for the fans of 95% of teams other than just what I said, enjoy seeing your old friends at the tailgate or have a TV show to watch.

Reactions: cdmg and PantherDDS
Honestly, Penn State and West Virginia are in the same position. Does he mention that? No.
I'd argue Penn State has at least a chance to get in a playoff, Pitt is at like 0.1% and dropping every year. And why should he, this article is about Pitt, the local team in the city he covers.

Reactions: cdmg and PantherDDS
I'd argue Penn State has at least a chance to get in a playoff, Pitt is at like 0.1% and dropping every year. And why should he, this article is about Pitt, the local team in the city he covers.
Madden has come out and said he doesn’t watch and doesn’t care about Pitt. He doesn’t cover Pitt. He just slams Pitt when he feels like it. You are a jabroney for listening to him. I stopped listening to him a long time ago once I saw the loser in person and just laughed at the thought of valuing anything he said.

Madden has come out and said he doesn’t watch and doesn’t care about Pitt. He doesn’t cover Pitt. He just slams Pitt when he feels like it. You are a jabroney for listening to him. I stopped listening to him a long time ago once I saw the loser in person and just laughed at the thought of valuing anything he said.

I don't like him too. Doesn't mean he is always wrong. In this particular instance, he makes fair points.

None of that matters WHEN WHAT HE SAYS IS 100% TRUE.

I disagree that ACC games are meaningless. I look forward to UNC, Miami, UVa, VT, and Duke.
I do too, as stand alone entertainment TV shows or a tailgate party to get drunk at. That's the most meaningful part of it.

Reactions: BPKY
Honestly, Penn State and West Virginia are in the same position. Does he mention that? No.

Actually, I think Penn State could potentially lose more than any other school with realignment. Imagine if OSU, Mich, FSU and Clemson joined the SEC. They would be effed.

Actually, I think Penn State could potentially lose more than any other school with realignment. Imagine if OSU, Mich, FSU and Clemson joined the SEC. They would be effed.
Penn State has been largely irrelevant since joining the Big 10. Just because you draw big crowds doesn't make you big time. The same applies to the the likes of Michigan State, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Texas, Tennessee, Auburn, Michigan, Washington, Ole Miss, etc.

None of that matters WHEN WHAT HE SAYS IS 100% TRUE.
1) Madden is either a liar or someone else wrote the article for him. How did he write on a topic he doesn’t follow?

2) Aren’t you the guy who says he could care less who Pitt plays as long as they win?

3) Pitt football just landed Nakhi Johnson, Elliott Donald, and Dorien Ford who were blue-chip WPIAL prospects.

4) Times change and the ACC is the closest thing to an Eastern conference. We have WV scheduled next year and will be playing them in a 4 Game Series. PS refuses to play us.

At that point who cares? I'll still watch Pitt games only, like I do now, but I'll never follow the "National CFB Scene", It will be some super league, since I hate all the teams that will be in it, I won't watch. It won't be for fans of the teams left out, but more for fans of the teams that are in and fans of the sport more than any team, who care about watching high quality talent play games more than root for a specific team.

Penn State is basically just as irrelevant as Pitt is because their odds of winning a national title are vanishingly small. What's the difference between having a 1% chance and a .1% chance? Both are extremely unlikely and every year the gap between the actual title contenders and the Tier 2 pretenders like PSU widens moreso.

The only difference between PSU fans and Pitt fans is the latter don't lie to themselves that they matter.

Penn State has been largely irrelevant since joining the Big 10. Just because you draw big crowds doesn't make you big time. The same applies to the the likes of Michigan State, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Texas, Tennessee, Auburn, Michigan, Washington, Ole Miss, etc.

I'd take Auburn and Texas off of the list since Auburn and Texas actually won a national championship. Penn State's last outright national championship was 35 years ago lol. They're good at beating up on Indiana though.

Penn State is basically just as irrelevant as Pitt is because their odds of winning a national title are vanishingly small. What's the difference between having a 1% chance and a .1% chance? Both are extremely unlikely and every year the gap between the actual title contenders and the Tier 2 pretenders like PSU widens moreso.

The only difference between PSU fans and Pitt fans is the latter don't lie to themselves that they matter.
I disagree, Penn State has a better chance than 1%, a couple years ago, they where on the cusp of making it, they won the B1G and tOSU still got in over them. With a 12 team playoff, their chances are even better. Still their chances are way better than Pitt. Pitt has JUST ONE 10 win season in about 40 years.

I disagree, Penn State has a better chance than 1%, a couple years ago, they where on the cusp of making it, they won the B1G and tOSU still got in over them. With a 12 team playoff, their chances are even better. Still their chances are way better than Pitt. Pitt has JUST ONE 10 win season in about 40 years.

So your argument is that Penn State almost made the playoffs one time a few years ago? Wow, what a resume. If they work hard maybe someday they can be Michigan State.

So your argument is that Penn State almost made the playoffs one time a few years ago? Wow, what a resume. If they work hard maybe someday they can be Michigan State.
In the last 5 years, Penn State finished in the top 10 three out of five years. We haven't finished in the top 10 in the last 39 years. So yeah, they are the same as us.

Look, I am sure some of you guys are really smart, have really good jobs, but college football, like politics makes your takes stupid and wrong. Okay?? It's a stupid take. Not "everybody has their opinion", no,......it is a bad (wrong) take.

Reactions: JohnCPitt
Revisionist history concerning the Big East.

Pitt should be embracing the changing landscape, or at least pretending to embrace it. If only Mark Madden had some meaningful solutions or some kind of platform where he could help out in some small way during the NIL era. Hmmm... Oh, wait.

Reactions: PaNDalum
In the last 5 years, Penn State finished in the top 10 three out of five years. We haven't finished in the top 10 in the last 39 years. So yeah, they are the same as us.

Look, I am sure some of you guys are really smart, have really good jobs, but college football, like politics makes your takes stupid and wrong. Okay?? It's a stupid take. Not "everybody has their opinion", no,......it is a bad (wrong) take.

I'd encourage you to re-read what I posted because you badly missed the point. I clearly said that PSU is better than us. It also doesn't matter. They're not a Tier 1 team. They've never played in the CFP and they haven't won an outright national championship in 35 years. They're a souped up Virginia Tech with a child abuse scandal.

For all you geezers that decry participation trophies, you sure love to pump up #8 finishes.

The way this ends, potentially not until 2036 when ACC GOR ends

SEC adds NC State and VT
Big Ten adds Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, UNC, UVa
Pac 12 adds OK St, TT, TCU, Houston (or Baylor)

ACC will be:

Pitt
BC
Syr
Lou
WVU
Temple
UConn
Duke
Wake
UCF
Baylor (or Houston)
Cincy
Memphis
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

One heck of a basketball conference at least.

SEC adds NC State and VT

ACC will be:

Pitt
BC
Syr
Lou
WVU
Temple
UConn
Duke
Wake
UCF
Baylor (or Houston)
Cincy
Memphis
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

What garbage of a conference

Reactions: sherepower

SEC adds NC State and VT

ACC will be:

Pitt
BC
Syr
Lou
WVU
Temple
UConn
Duke
Wake
UCF
Baylor (or Houston)
Cincy
Memphis
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

2036? LOL. We are going to worry about that now? Come on.

• Haha
Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT