ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Madden: Pitt needs what college football used to be, not what it has become

The way this ends, potentially not until 2036 when ACC GOR ends

SEC adds NC State and VT
Big Ten adds Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, UNC, UVa
Pac 12 adds OK St, TT, TCU, Houston (or Baylor)

ACC will be:

Pitt
BC
Syr
Lou
WVU
Temple
UConn
Duke
Wake
UCF
Baylor (or Houston)
Cincy
Memphis
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

One heck of a basketball conference at least.
Thanks for letting us know, Dude of the Burgh.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
Because he's 100% right. Pitt football is fine, just for the social aspect. it's fun to go see friends at a tailgate party, or watch a regular season game on TV, the sport of college football as a whole is garbage and getting worse every year, there's nothing to be excited about for the fans of 95% of teams other than just what I said, enjoy seeing your old friends at the tailgate or have a TV show to watch.

I always hated the BCS and thought the playoffs were a step in the right direction. But the way it has evolved; it is Alabama's god-given right to be included every year. Ohio State, Clemson, or maybe another SEC team. And I don't see it changing anytime soon.

I don't think the 12 team playoff will offer much more hope. It will be one champ from each conference, 6 SEC teams, and a second Big 10 team

Reactions: Pitt79
I'd encourage you to re-read what I posted because you badly missed the point. I clearly said that PSU is better than us. It also doesn't matter. They're not a Tier 1 team. They've never played in the CFP and they haven't won an outright national championship in 35 years. They're a souped up Virginia Tech with a child abuse scandal.

For all you geezers that decry participation trophies, you sure love to pump up #8 finishes.
Agree with this. Sure PSU was close to making the playoffs several years back. Sure they as a program are closer to that level than Pitt. Sure they might make the playoffs in the future. But if there is anything we have learned from the 4 team college football playoffs, there is an enormous difference between making it and being good enough to win the national championship. PSU would get crushed by Bama or Clemson and I do not see them ascending to be one of the next big programs if either of those two slip. PSU isn't even close to Ohio State level. In the past 9 meetings, OSU won 8 of them.

Actually, I think Penn State could potentially lose more than any other school with realignment. Imagine if OSU, Mich, FSU and Clemson joined the SEC. They would be effed.
If OSU and MIchigan left the Big 10 PSU would win more

The only ACC games I get excited about are VT, Syracuse, BC, Miami.
I would love to add WVU and have an all big East division.
I f that happened, the lousy homer ref calls wouldn’t be in effect.

Reactions: WeaverIsComing
Agree with this. Sure PSU was close to making the playoffs several years back. Sure they as a program are closer to that level than Pitt. Sure they might make the playoffs in the future. But if there is anything we have learned from the 4 team college football playoffs, there is an enormous difference between making it and being good enough to win the national championship. PSU would get crushed by Bama or Clemson and I do not see them ascending to be one of the next big programs if either of those two slip. PSU isn't even close to Ohio State level. In the past 9 meetings, OSU won 8 of them.
PSU has the #1 ranked recruiting class right now. Now it is bigger than the others, but it will still likely finish in the top 5. I think they are doing well. They have supplanted Michigan as the "other" team in the Big 10.

Reactions: JohnCPitt
So your argument is that Penn State almost made the playoffs one time a few years ago? Wow, what a resume. If they work hard maybe someday they can be Michigan State.
And being Michigan State would be way better than being Pitt

And being Michigan State would be way better than being Pitt

And being Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma, Auburn, Oregon, Georgia, Notre Dame, FSU, and Washington would be better than being Penn State. That's my point. You keep arguing that I think Penn State isn't head and shoulders better than Pitt. They are but I never said they weren't.

To paraphrase Kanye, "what you think I rap for, to push a f***** Rav 4?" Of course Pitt is a Corolla. Nobody is denying that. But Penn State is puffing their chest out about the fact that the drive a Dodge Stratus. Nobody cares about the team that's always finishing 8th.

Last edited:
Reactions: Panther Holla
And being Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma, Auburn, Oregon, Georgia, Notre Dame, FSU, and Washington would be better than being Penn State. That's my point. You keep arguing that I think Penn State isn't head and shoulders better than Pitt. They are but I never said they weren't.

To paraphrase Kanye, "what you think I rap for, to push a f***** Rav 4?" Of course Pitt is a Corolla. Nobody is denying that. But Penn State is puffing their chest out about the fact that the drive a Dodge Stratus. Nobody cares about the team that's always finishing 8th.
Finishing 8th will get you in the 12 team playoff.

That was before Texas and OU moved to the SEC and everyone else realized that the SEC might not have been helping to plan the new playoff scheme in good faith. Every other conference is backing off, now.
Why would every other conference choose not to expand the playoff (and thus increase its ability to have a playoff team)? It’s the most backwards thinking.

There are two big brands outside of the SEC. Two. TOSU and USC. The SEC owns college football. It’s not cyclical. It’s forever. All of the recruits are in that footprint. Either way you slice it, the SEC is going to rule. Therefore, you may as well try and get a team or two in from your inferior conference (whether B1G, XII, ACC, PAC, etc).

Why would every other conference choose not to expand the playoff (and thus increase its ability to have a playoff team)? It’s the most backwards thinking.

There are two big brands outside of the SEC. Two. TOSU and USC.

Marshall and WVU, those two will bring the eyeballs

The way this ends, potentially not until 2036 when ACC GOR ends

SEC adds NC State and VT
Big Ten adds Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, UNC, UVa
Pac 12 adds OK St, TT, TCU, Houston (or Baylor)

ACC will be:

Pitt
BC
Syr
Lou
WVU
Temple
UConn
Duke
Wake
UCF
Baylor (or Houston)
Cincy
Memphis
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

One heck of a basketball conference at least.
If the ACC isn’t proactive and doesn’t add anyone between now and then, they deserve to morph into that. No reason why it shouldn’t go on the attack and add a few schools (Penn State, Notre Dame, Maryland, WVU) depending on what the Big Ten does with their next media contract. Just my opinion.

Penn State, Michigan and the Aggies are all similar. They may not be seated at the adult table with the likes of Alabama, Ohio state and LSU but they aren’t sitting at the kids table in the basement like Pitt, Rutgers and Virginia.

Pitt will be left out of a 32 school football league. Small fanbase, mid size market, limited recent success, low profile brand. However Pitt might have a chance for entry if the concept of promotion and relegation is utilized.

Madden really should lose some weight for his health. God only knows what one might find between those rolls of fat on his ass.

There are two big brands outside of the SEC. Two. TOSU and USC. The SEC owns college football. It’s not cyclical. It’s forever. All of the recruits are in that footprint. Either way you slice it, the SEC is going to rule. Therefore, you may as well try and get a team or two in from your inferior conference (whether B1G, XII, ACC, PAC, etc).
Why would every other conference just lay down and give away any leverage they still have?

Why would every other conference just lay down and give away any leverage they still have?
That’s the thing. They have ZERO leverage. Go get your cash for your conference. Why give the SEC 2-3 of 4 playoff spots? Let them have 4-5 of 12 as long as I get 1-2.

The latter is a helluva lot better than the current system if you’re the PAC.

Your post proves that many are infatuated about the SEC. Don’t try to be SEC. You have no shot B1G, XII, ACC and PAC. The B1G easily has the biggest inferiority complex. They can’t get over themselves when it comes to SEC dominance. They literally will cut their own throat in order to get Kansas or Cal and maintain AAU order. And that’s fine. That’s what they cherish. Academics and research.

But here’s the secret! B1G values football greatly! They just don’t have a prayer versus the SEC and why would they? They are the ACC. A bunch of nothing programs and Clemson (TOSU in its case). That’s not a slight. That’s the truth. Same as OU and the rest of XII. There are 6-7 schools with a chance of winning natty. They are UGA, Bama, LSU, TOSU, OU, Clemson and maybe Florida. That’s it. USC doesn’t have a chance because best recruits in West go to SEC now.

Oregon? Florida St? Notre Dame? Texas? Ha! No chance.

SEC values football superiority. Good for them. They figure “to hell with NFL” and sell out for Saturday. Personally, I like the NFL/Steelers more than college. However, at least the SEC owns it.

Last edited:
Be grateful if you were alive and rememe right 1976 and the National Championship. Pitt will never see that again. For that matter neither will Penn State or West Virginia.

Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson will always have more money than most other schools and the odds will never change.

It has to be mentally worse for Penn State fans because they are mostly delusional and THINK they are one of the BIG BOYS when they are just a pawn in the game and will never climb that mountain ever.

This ends when colleges get control of the conferences and builds equitable regional parings. The NFL, MLB and NBA realized the value ( profit)of competitive teams so must the NCAA. The losers will be the fat cats at the SEC, ACC, PAC and the Big. Let the law suits begin.

There are two paragraphs that are totally wrongheaded in the article. (1) Despite those who constantly claim otherwise, getting rid of Pitt Stadium is no longer relevant. Even had it been kept and fully refurbished and modernized Pitt football would be no better off in 2021 than it is. That might have slowed the deckine for awhile but by now is a non-factor. (2) Changing demographics have made loading up on western PA talent a non solution to Pitt's recruiting woes. As of 2021 there aren't more than a handful at best of high school players from western PA, or even State-wide who will be in the national top 100-150 in any given year. This is why Pitt is forced to recruit so much further away from home than it did in the past. Recruiting appreciably better in western PA wont make a measurable difference today.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
There are two paragraphs that are totally wrongheaded in the article. (1) Despite those who constantly claim otherwise, getting rid of Pitt Stadium is no longer relevant. Even had it been kept and fully refurbished and modernized Pitt football would be no better off in 2021 than it is. That might have slowed the deckine for awhile but by now is a non-factor. (2) Changing demographics have made loading up on western PA talent a non solution to Pitt's recruiting woes. As of 2021 there aren't more than a handful at best of high school players from western PA, or even State-wide who will be in the national top 100-150 in any given year. This is why Pitt is forced to recruit so much further away from home than it did in the past. Recruiting appreciably better in western PA wont make a measurable difference today.
I’ll tell you who I think is doing an unbelievable job. Todd Franklin at Penn St. I am very surprised at how well he is able to recruit there at this day and age. You think WVU is isolated? I know that PSU is a bigger program (not debating that) but they are isolated and very “northeast”, relatively speaking.

I thought for sure they’d be more of a Michigan but they’re at least staying competitive and getting really good recruiting classes.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
I’ll tell you who I think is doing an unbelievable job. Todd Franklin at Penn St. I am very surprised at how well he is able to recruit there at this day and age. You think WVU is isolated? I know that PSU is a bigger program (not debating that) but they are isolated and very “northeast”, relatively speaking.

I thought for sure they’d be more of a Michigan but they’re at least staying competitive and getting really good recruiting classes.

I hate him but he makes Duzz look like Barney Fife

That’s the thing. They have ZERO leverage. Go get your cash for your conference. Why give the SEC 2-3 of 4 playoff spots? Let them have 4-5 of 12 as long as I get 1-2.

The latter is a helluva lot better than the current system if you’re the PAC.

Your post proves that many are infatuated about the SEC. Don’t try to be SEC. You have no shot B1G, XII, ACC and PAC. The B1G easily has the biggest inferiority complex. They can’t get over themselves when it comes to SEC dominance. They literally will cut their own throat in order to get Kansas or Cal and maintain AAU order. And that’s fine. That’s what they cherish. Academics and research.

But here’s the secret! B1G values football greatly! They just don’t have a prayer versus the SEC and why would they? They are the ACC. A bunch of nothing programs and Clemson (TOSU in its case). That’s not a slight. That’s the truth. Same as OU and the rest of XII. There are 6-7 schools with a chance of winning natty. They are UGA, Bama, LSU, TOSU, OU, Clemson and maybe Florida. That’s it. USC doesn’t have a chance because best recruits in West go to SEC now.

Oregon? Florida St? Notre Dame? Texas? Ha! No chance.

SEC values football superiority. Good for them. They figure “to hell with NFL” and sell out for Saturday. Personally, I like the NFL/Steelers more than college. However, at least the SEC owns it.
That's what I am saying. The SEC got bigger, got Texas and Oklahoma. So what. So the bleep what. They already pay the most and the most football centric conference located in the most fertile recruiting areas. Nothing any other conference does is going to change this. So don't just make knee jerk, stupid reactions (like honestly the Pac 12 did by adding Utah and Colorado or even the ACC adding Pitt and Syracuse) because those programs really have not done much for those conferences. (though lets also recognize Pitt has the second best overall record since the conference shuffling of 2012 somehow, so it shows most of the "adds" have been nothing burgers)

Just relax. Think it through there is no reason to make a move right now.

I hate him but he makes Duzz look like Barney Fife
I always thought Penn St was “Florida St North”. Program that was elevated because of its coach. FSU was NOTHING before BB (RIP, Coach!). As bad as WVU at the time (mid 70s). However, if you’d ask anyone under the age of 50 about FSU many would erroneously believe they are an elite brand. They aren’t. Still a really good brand but not to level of Florida.

How many big brands does the SEC have?

I always thought Penn St was “Florida St North”. Program that was elevated because of its coach. FSU was NOTHING before BB (RIP, Coach!). As bad as WVU at the time (mid 70s). However, if you’d ask anyone under the age of 50 about FSU many would erroneously believe they are an elite brand. They aren’t. Still a really good brand but not to level of Florida.
Florida wasn’t elite before Spurrier. They were meh for years. Coaches matter.

Reactions: PittMan 72
Florida wasn’t elite before Spurrier. They were meh for years. Coaches matter.
Penn State was solid before Paterno. But man, he took them to another level, I think from 1967 to 1982 they finished out of the top 10 only 3 seasons. Of course coal country and steel mills were producing tons of talent then.

It has to be mentally worse for Penn State fans because they are mostly delusional and THINK they are one of the BIG BOYS when they are just a pawn in the game and will never climb that mountain ever.
My USAF unit had a few kids from different schools: Pitt, Penn State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, and Southern Cal were a few that I can remember. One time we were shooting the poo about college football. Penn State guy tried to put their program in with the elite and Southern Cal guy took my side after I pointed out PSU hadn't won squat in 20 years.

PSU is big and respected until you hit about Northern Virginia in the South and maybe Illinois in the West. Nobody thought that they were hot nationally in various places that I've lived (West Coast, Texas, and now the South) and that was pre-Sandusky. I think the scandal really knocked off whatever remaining cachet they had nationally.

Of course, you'll get a very different take in the Commonwealth of PA, but once you leave their little bubble, everyone looks down on them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT