ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Football

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I thought Yellen played well. Seemed to me a more natural passer/decision maker than Pickett. Pickett is obviously the better scrambler but he misses a lot of throws. I'd like to see Yellen be the guy from here on out.

Reactions: persp and APanther
Did anyone see the helmet stickers on Yellen’s helmet? How did he get those if this was his first significant playing time? Did he earn them in practice? LOL!!!

Reactions: Millerton
Yellen looks hesitant to run with the ball, there were a couple of times he could have picked up a couple of yards, but not a bad game

he looked poised; a lot of catchable balls were dropped; defense overall was very good. Red zone failures once again, were a big problem.

Reactions: APanther
he looked poised; a lot of catchable balls were dropped; defense overall was very good. Red zone failures once again, were a big problem.

He was a Top 300 National Recruit and a Top 10 pro-style QB coming out of HS. The kid is a FRESHMAN in his 2nd ever college start. I like his potential and I'd go with him. Looked very natural.

Career backup at best, somehow you’d make an even worse coach than Narduzzi. This fanbase doesn’t even deserve Kenny Pickett. Pathetic.

• Haha
Reactions: persp and kma0043
Great. Pickett was worlds better as a true freshman.

Mr Pickett. Your son is a good kid a great athlete and a gutty player. Sorry but your son is not a QB. I know you will throw stats out to suggest otherwise but he got those stats throwing it 2 to 3 yards 50 times a game. His actual ability to read a defense is lacking. He does not know how to avoid a rush and keep looking downfield. Sorry but those 2 qualities are way more important in a QB than taking off with the ball unless you are at Mike Vick level.

Mr Pickett. Your son is a good kid a great athlete and a gutty player. Sorry but your son is not a QB. I know you will throw stats out to suggest otherwise but he got those stats throwing it 2 to 3 yards 50 times a game. His actual ability to read a defense is lacking. He does not know how to avoid a rush and keep looking downfield. Sorry but those 2 qualities are way more important in a QB than taking off with the ball unless you are at Mike Vick level.

Pickett is right about in between where you 2 say he is. x9 way overrates him. You way underrate him and even said he sucks. He’s a touch above average. With a lot more help some flaws could be masked. But he’s not the QB who can throw his team on his back and keep winning.

Pickett is right about in between where you 2 say he is. x9 way overrates him. You way underrate him and even said he sucks. He’s a touch above average. With a lot more help some flaws could be masked. But he’s not the QB who can throw his team on his back and keep winning.
No, I actually think he’s about where you say he is. Problem is everyone else acts like he’s terrible and we have better options. He can make the throws needed and is a good athlete. He’s not great at reading defenses, and even worse when it comes to reading them on RPOs.

At the end of the day though, the games he’s played in this season there’s not really much more you could’ve asked from him. Pitt could have a better NFL ready QB, but at the same time QB is probably the last position Pitt needs an upgrade at right now.

The o-line is terrible, there’s still nobody proven at tight end, the backs have shown nothing, and the receivers drop way too many passes. And whilst I think Whipple is a good coordinator with some good game plans, wow does he make some of the worst play calls imaginable.

Yellen looks hesitant to run with the ball, there were a couple of times he could have picked up a couple of yards, but not a bad game
He may have been told not to run. If he gets hurt Pitt is down to one QB.

It’s not a pickett VS yellen thing. Pickett is good but he’s hurt. He will be in nfl next year. We are talking about the future.
Yellen is not the future, I was just stating that because it’s not like Yellen showed so much that it looks like he’ll develop into a star.

And I don’t think Pickett is such a lock for the NFL that he has much of a chance to be more than a late rounder. Who knows, maybe he will want to return next season. When Pickett is healthy, he goes back in the lineup. He is the far superior QB.

Reactions: widesideend
Yellen is not the future, I was just stating that because it’s not like Yellen showed so much that it looks like he’ll develop into a star.

And I don’t think Pickett is such a lock for the NFL that he has much of a chance to be more than a late rounder. Who knows, maybe he will want to return next season. When Pickett is healthy, he goes back in the lineup. He is the far superior QB.
He is far better and he will get drafted. He’s not back on our roster next year. Even if he wants to come back to college, you’d have to imagine he’d look at another program.

Yellen looked alright. I was expecting nothing and he had some decent throws. It’s something.

Source? I know he’s not exactly forthcoming but Narduzzi said post game Pickett isn’t ruled out for next week.

I’m not saying you’re wrong - but where is that coming from?
I have some inside sources. Very reliable ones. Not something I’d make up. Just a question of when the news will break. Narduzzi can’t hide Kenny from the public forever.

Reactions: singregardless
I have some inside sources. Very reliable ones. Not something I’d make up. Just a question of when the news will break. Narduzzi can’t hide Kenny from the public forever.
Hmmm. If true, that would truly suck. Probably best for him though. Heal up and get ready for the draft.

Career backup at best, somehow you’d make an even worse coach than Narduzzi. This fanbase doesn’t even deserve Kenny Pickett. Pathetic.
So, what’s your prescription. Pitt should just drop football or what’s your fix?

Pickett absolutely has to play QB in college next year either at Pitt or elsewhere. He is no lock to make an NFL team.
I’m sure he will be given ample advice. If he has to come back to school, you’d have to imagine a grad transfer scenario would seem likely.

Pickett absolutely has to play QB in college next year either at Pitt or elsewhere. He is no lock to make an NFL team.

Nah. His best chance of improving is working and training post season with some NFL prep camp or gym. His weaknesses from last year were the same exact things this year. No need for another year of college.

Nah. His best chance of improving is working and training post season with some NFL prep camp or gym. His weaknesses from last year were the same exact things this year. No need for another year of college.
Agree. Can’t possibly imagine what another year if college football would do.

He is far better and he will get drafted. He’s not back on our roster next year. Even if he wants to come back to college, you’d have to imagine he’d look at another program.

Yellen looked alright. I was expecting nothing and he had some decent throws. It’s something.
I don’t know the kid, but if the NCAA is giving you a free year and you could improve your draft stock several rounds, stay in school with all your best friends, and maybe avenge a massively disappointing team season.... maybe that’s appealing to him. Obviously another injury is the risk, so maybe not.

I thought Yellen held his own much better than I thought he would. I just wasn’t impressed by his ability to throw the football, and his lack of mobility is a problem (especially with our line.) If he’s our backup QB the next few seasons, Pitt is probably in good shape. I just didn’t see anything from him to make me think he’ll be more than that. Definitely some things he’ll get better at with experience, but some concerning things as well.

Reactions: 303vND
So, what’s your prescription. Pitt should just drop football or what’s your fix?
Maybe just some fans should go elsewhere if they think Pickett is anywhere close to an issue with this team

I’m sure he will be given ample advice. If he has to come back to school, you’d have to imagine a grad transfer scenario would seem likely.

I agree
Agree. Can’t possibly imagine what another year if college football would do.

Really? He has done next to nothing in 4 years. He can't do ANYTHING else in college? If I'm him I'm grad transferring to a big-time program. If he's an NFL QB, Im sure there are many big programs that will have him.

Hard to argue with being the leading passer in FBS coming into this week. That is Pickett. That said, I don’t think he is a top tier QB coming out of college but could see him as a late round draft pick. I think he is a very Tyler Palko like player with his grit and attitude. I see him having a very Palko-like pro career. I see no benefit for him to stick around another year He would do much better being in a pro camp, working with a more organized offense than this one. I also don’t see him doing a grad transfer. That seems to benefit the the guy who lost his starting job to someone younger or who wasn’t given a fair shot to start. His stock can only get worst staying in this system.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Hard to argue with being the leading passer in FBS coming into this week. That is Pickett. That said, I don’t think he is a top tier QB coming out of college but could see him as a late round draft pick. I think he is a very Tyler Palko like player with his grit and attitude. I see him having a very Palko-like pro career. I see no benefit for him to stick around another year He would do much better being in a pro camp, working with a more organized offense than this one. I also don’t see him doing a grad transfer. That seems to benefit the the guy who lost his starting job to someone younger or who wasn’t given a fair shot to start. His stock can only get worst staying in this system.

This logic that a 4th to 7th Round draft pick should just leave makes no sense to me. How many late round QBs are underclassmen? Usually QBs dont leave unless they are Top 3 rounds.

This logic that a 4th to 7th Round draft pick should just leave makes no sense to me. How many late round QBs are underclassmen? Usually QBs dont leave unless they are Top 3 rounds.

I don’t think another year makes him a top 3 rounder either unless it’s LSU, Clemson or Alabama That he goes to.. And the likelihood of that happening is quite slim.

He wasn’t the leading passer, just happened to have the most passing yards which is a very deceptive stat. Had played more games than most other QB’s as well, most of his other stats were much more pedestrian.

Not saying he is the reason the team has struggled over the last couple seasons, on the contrary he has been one of the better performers on the offensive side of the ball.

I watched about half of the game in totality and he was a huge bright spot. Most freshman do not step in like that and look that collected. He has to be your future? He was the most promising thing on the field for Pitt. Pickett is what he is and hasn't really even developed much. You guys would obviously know more than me but since our conference is led by morons I have been playing closer attention to many other teams and individuals. Yellen looks like a player.

You guys have me a agreeingng with a Stater because you lost all perspective.

Is Pickett even close to being Pitt's biggest problem? No he is far down the list. That's the problem, at most P5 top 20 to 30 teams his play would be a top 3 issue. Unfortunately for Pitt there are so many bigger issues his play is like 9th or 10th down the list.

And you guys argue that he is at Palko's level? Palko carried this team to a BCS game. The only thing Palko didn't have was arm strength.

Reactions: singregardless
My biggest problem with Kenny was his lack of touch. He seems to throw every pass as hard as he could. I think Joey showed a little more touch.
As far as running. Yes, Joey could run more. Maybe he doesn't want to? IDK. Kenny makes lots of plays with his legs. He also tries too hard sometimes and fumbles because of it. Usually when our backs are against the end zone.
As long as he keeps his eyes down field looking for receivers, he should be ok. He's young. He's going to have growing pains. I honestly don't think anyone is going to look great with Whipple here.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I don’t think another year makes him a top 3 rounder either unless it’s LSU, Clemson or Alabama That he goes to.. And the likelihood of that happening is quite slim.

Burrow went from a 7th Round pick to #1 overall. Not saying Pickett will have that type of rise but QBs can leap multiple rounds. Right now, I think he's probably a 6th/7th rounder. He'll combine well but he's an average to below average decision maker.

Reactions: APanther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT