ADVERTISEMENT

Joke

FSU looks bad but Alabama scraped by Auburn and South Florida this year and didn't look too hot agaisnt Texas A & M either. This isn't some juggernaut. They beat Georgia (who had a total cakewalk schedule and barely beat GT) and that makes up for looking mediocre all year I guess.

Sure. I get that. And I’d put FSU in at 4 over Bama.

But this is the Michigan team’s reaction to learning they have to play Bama and not FSU. One the number one team in the country is gasping at the thought of an SEC team over FSU, I can’t really say the committee made the wrong choice.

The fact that Michigan so obviously wanted FSU and did not like getting Bama, is a strong argument that, if the goal is the 4 best teams, it shouldn’t have been FSU.

They are maybe the 20th best team without Travis. Come on.
It doesn't matter. They were undefeated in a Power 5 conference and got left out because of 13 people in a committee who got to determine who THEY FEEL are the best team and that is wrong. I am not even an FSU fan, the whole system is FLAWED. What would have happened if FSU announced before the game yesterday if Jordan Travis had made incredible progress and will be ready to play in the next FSU game??? I can't wait until next year, when it gets even worse.

Sure. I get that. And I’d put FSU in at 4 over Bama.

But this is the Michigan team’s reaction to learning they have to play Bama and not FSU. One the number one team in the country is gasping at the thought of an SEC team over FSU, I can’t really say the committee made the wrong choice.

The fact that Michigan so obviously wanted FSU and did not like getting Bama, is a strong argument that, if the goal is the 4 best teams, it shouldn’t have been FSU.

Quite a difference for sure. Last night a couple books put up theoretical odds and they had Michigan as a 1 point favorite over Alabama, but a 16.5 point favorite over FSU.

Reactions: bdur76
Interesting debate. I would agree that I don’t think today FSU is one of the top four teams. However, I find it neglectful that the committee goes back on their own standards by not rewarding an undefeated power five team. How do you explain that to these kids that worked hard for this undefeated season?

Who beat them since he went down?

Alabama beat a 6-6 team on a Hail Mary last week, but I keep hearing FSU hasn't looked great since Travis went down.

FSU was three spots ahead of Texas yesterday and they beat a better team. But the spots flip by 5?

Lol, come on. This is all a TV think. F*cking joke.
That’s a pretty good point. Most of the debate was Bama vs Texas or Bama vs FSU for the last spot. Never really heard much about Texas vs FSU.

But heading into this weekend FSU was ranked 3rd with the committee already knowing they were without their QB and Texas was ranked 7. FSU beat a higher ranked team this weekend than Texas did. Not much logic to explain the change in relative ranking between those 2 teams based on those two facts. And they are facts not opinions.

Only way to justify or explain it, the committee definitely wanted Bama in and they couldn’t do it while leaving Texas out.

It is going to be objectively hilarious when FSU, after defeating Georgia in the Orange Bowl, claims a national championship as the lone remaining undefeated team after dogging UCF for doing the same thing in 2017.
PISS ON FSU. They are the biggest crybabies in college football and I have no sympathy for them.

I guess they need another 20 million dollars to make the playoffs!

F Them!
Truth.

That’s a pretty good point. Most of the debate was Bama vs Texas or Bama vs FSU for the last spot. Never really heard much about Texas vs FSU.

But heading into this weekend FSU was ranked 3rd with the committee already knowing they were without their QB and Texas was ranked 7. FSU beat a higher ranked team this weekend than Texas did. Not much logic to explain the change in relative ranking between those 2 teams based on those two facts. And they are facts not opinions.

Only way to justify or explain it, the committee definitely wanted Bama in and they couldn’t do it while leaving Texas out.
I stopped putting stock in what the next to last rankings were in 2014 when TCU was ranked #3 and beat Iowa St 55-3, yet dropped down to #5.

Yea, Florida State wouldn’t have scored against Washington or Michigan. Florida State is good, but they’re not one of the 4 best teams in the Country. I’d put Georgia ahead of them too.
How do you know that? Do you possess some special power that allows you to know what would have happened in the "what if world"? The reality of it is, if on field results don't matter then why play the regular games? It is clear that the steelers are not one of the top 7 teams in the AFC. What if the NFL decided to use a selection committee at the end of the year to determine the best 7 teams in the AFC, not the actual W/L record of each team? Clearly the steelers are not one of the top 7, they should not be allowed in. Would that be fair?

Reactions: ratking17
I don’t get the love for
Free Sneaker University here.
The money difference between playing Michigan in the Rose and Georgia in the Orange is like $2m or $143k per team.

I’m pretty sure that they wanted tiers for conference money payouts. So it doesn’t matter to me. Next year team 13 will cry

It doesn't matter. They were undefeated in a Power 5 conference and got left out because of 13 people in a committee who got to determine who THEY FEEL are the best team and that is wrong. I am not even an FSU fan, the whole system is FLAWED. What would have happened if FSU announced before the game yesterday if Jordan Travis had made incredible progress and will be ready to play in the next FSU game??? I can't wait until next year, when it gets even worse.
How does it “get worse” by including all these teams that are whining about being left out, including your QB-less Semen-oles?

Interesting debate. I would agree that I don’t think today FSU is one of the top four teams. However, I find it neglectful that the committee goes back on their own standards by not rewarding an undefeated power five team. How do you explain that to these kids that worked hard for this undefeated season?
You say they are not the same team without Travis. For those who actually watched last night, it was an ugly game and bad Louisville team. They struggled against UF who was also missing their starting qb.

I think you’re all screwed in the head…

Here is a school (FSU) that has cried and threw a tantrum because they wanted to leave the ACC and make more money. They felt they DESERVED IT!

When they couldn’t find a way to weasel out of the contract, they tried and extort more money from the other schools in the conference. Why? Because they felt they DESERVED IT! They haven’t done anything the last few years. Clemson has carried the water for the ACC.

Then to top it off, they voted against adding new teams to the conference! I guess they felt the ACC didn’t DESERVE to survive!

Well now they feel they (as well as some of you) DESERVE to be in the playoffs. Maybe so, but the committee felt they DIDN’T DESERVE it based on the last few weeks. Or maybe they don’t have the inflated view FSU has about themselves.

Either way, I say tough luck!

Last edited:
I stopped putting stock in what the next to last rankings were in 2014 when TCU was ranked #3 and beat Iowa St 55-3, yet dropped down to #5.
I agree with you but in both cases, it sure demonstrates that the committee isn’t making objective decisions, it’s more about who they want in.

You have the same 13 people ranking FSU 3rd one week and beating a higher ranked team than who you had ranked 7. There is zero that could logically explain that other than ‘we want Bama in but can’t do that unless we also put Texas in because of H-to-H win’.

There is no way any BIG or SEC team gets left out even if they have an injury to their first or second string QBs. Plus it sounds like FSU’s backup will be ready to go by playoff time.

This is a really dangerous precedent. Do team now need to submit medical reports on all players prior to selection? Do we need to have an independent medical council? Where does it stop?

12 teams next year doesn't excuse the mistake of this year. Not an FSU fan but they should've been in
No they shouldn’t have. And you may not be an FSU fan but I am quite certain that if this was Ohio State, Oklahoma or Oregon and not the ACC champ we’re talking about you and the others on this board lamenting FSU’s exclusion would be singing a very different tune. This outcry on the board is nothing more than ACC member bias. “The world screwed ‘us’ again, what’s new”….

Reactions: Hardslider21
There is no way any BIG or SEC team gets left out even if they have an injury to their first or second string QBs. Plus it sounds like FSU’s backup will be ready to go by playoff time.

This is a really dangerous precedent. Do team now need to submit medical reports on all players prior to selection? Do we need to have an independent medical council? Where does it stop?
It will be great once players start opting out of not just meaningless bowl games but these playoff games so as to not risk injury and start prepping for the draft combine.

Quite a difference for sure. Last night a couple books put up theoretical odds and they had Michigan as a 1 point favorite over Alabama, but a 16.5 point favorite over FSU.
Yeah but what do the wise guys know. The Lair guys have it all figured out.

We are talking about a full body of work. Louisville still scored a lot of points over the year, and had their entire team healthy for last night's game, and were higher ranked than OK State for example
That was the ACC runner up, lost to Pitt. Lost to UK. Lost to FSU with a third stringer at QB. Who did Louisville beat this year of note? If Georgia wins, FSU may get in because then Texas doesn’t have a win against another conference champ.

You say they are not the same team without Travis. For those who actually watched last night, it was an ugly game and bad Louisville team. They struggled against UF who was also missing their starting qb.

Well, that's the take for people who watched the Bama/Auburn game, developed memory loss, and then watched the last two FSU games.

No they shouldn’t have. And you may not be an FSU fan but I am quite certain that if this was Ohio State, Oklahoma or Oregon and not the ACC champ we’re talking about you and the others on this board lamenting FSU’s exclusion would be singing a very different tune. This outcry on the board is nothing more than ACC member bias. “The world screwed ‘us’ again, what’s new”….
I think you’re way off base thinking most of the outcry herein is because of ACC bias. I think it’s definitely more about an undefeated P5 team coupled with perceived SEC bias by the committee.

You don’t think there’d be similar outcry if it was Washington left out instead of FSU?

Nope. Not my position or stance on this. I look at each year by the results.

I think you’re way off base thinking most of the outcry herein is because of ACC bias. I think it’s definitely more about an undefeated P5 team coupled with perceived SEC bias by the committee.
If the committee had all this ACC bias everyone’s bitching about, UGA would be in instead of Texas. And frankly I think they should be.

Yeah but what do the wise guys know. The Lair guys have it all figured out.
I usually like your comments Badby but herein every reply you make screams out that you really don’t understand what posters are opposing about this.

Don’t you think just about everyone not agreeing with this outcome does so primarily because they’re more in favor of most deserving not perceived best?

You don’t think there’d be similar outcry if it was Washington left out instead of FSU?

Probably not from this board.

There’s some posters that argued all summer, “The ACC isn’t that bad. FSU and Clemson can have the type of years they are capable of having and go to the playoffs. They don’t need to be in the SEC or Big Ten to win championships.”

Well that argument, to the extent it ever had any merit, has none. College football just told the ACC it is a joke of a conference, and you must get out of it if you can.

So a lot of the outrage right now is going to come from fans of teams that want the ACC to survive in its current form.

Reactions: bdur76
FSU is tough because they did go undefeated as a P5 champion.

At the same time they didn’t exactly look great with Travis this year.

And without him they don’t look like they can play within 2 TDs of any playoff contender except for maybe Michigan since Michigan’s style of play artificially keeps games close.

Oh well. This all goes away next year anyway.
How does Michigan's style of play artificially keep games close?

What about Alabama? They beat TAMU by 6, Arkansas by 3, Auburn by 3. They scored 17 vs USF, 24 on Ole Miss.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
You’re clueless, who’s saying the committee has bias against the ACC?
all kinds of posters bitching incessantly about what they falsely perceive as the committee’s pro-SEC and B10 bias. Is that different than anti-ACC bias?

Yeah the 21 they hung on Pitt and IU and the 13 against NCSU was pretty badass stuff.

Not sure I’d call the #45 scoring offense “pretty explosive”.
Not to mention they scored 40+ ONCE against a Division 1 opponent. Solid offense? Pretty good offense? Sure, but not anywhere near explosive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT