ADVERTISEMENT

Joke

FSU literally wouldn't have scored against Michigan. Just about a 0% chance to score. It was a waste of a game. Alabama will beat Michigan
Yea, Florida State wouldn’t have scored against Washington or Michigan. Florida State is good, but they’re not one of the 4 best teams in the Country. I’d put Georgia ahead of them too.
Since you two Nostradamuses know this without the games being played, what else ya got? Powerball numbers? Stock tips?

If jj Mccarthy got hurt yesterday is Michigan in? Yep
Probably, but Jordan Travis didn't get hurt "yesterday" though. He broke his ankle 2 weeks ago and FSU had 2 games to show the committee that their offense was still capable to put them in the top 4. Instead, their offense sputtered against a mediocre Louisville team and an awful Florida team. They typically put up 400 to 500 yds each game and could barely sniff 200 yds the past 2 games.

A better example would be Ohio State in 2014 when JT Barrett was injured and Cardale Jones came in during the Michigan game. OSU went on to clobber a solid Wisconsin team in the B1G champ game, 59-0. Their offense didn't skip a beat and they went on to win the NC. Meanwhile FSU was forced to run the wildcat (which they installed this week) just to even sniff the end zone. It sucks for them but they aren't one of the top 4 teams in the country right now.

Probably, but Jordan Travis didn't get hurt "yesterday" though. He broke his ankle 2 weeks ago and FSU had 2 games to show the committee that their offense was still capable to put them in the top 4. Instead, their offense sputtered against a mediocre Louisville team and an awful Florida team. They typically put up 400 to 500 yds each game and could barely sniff 200 yds the past 2 games.

A better example would be Ohio State in 2014 when JT Barrett was injured and Cardale Jones came in during the Michigan game. OSU went on to clobber a solid Wisconsin team in the B1G champ game, 59-0. Their offense didn't skip a beat and they went on to win the NC. Meanwhile FSU was forced to run the wildcat (which they installed this week) just to even sniff the end zone. It sucks for them but they aren't one of the top 4 teams in the country right now.
Totally different scenarios. OSU had a loss to an average VT team. FSU is undefeated.

Well, UW is in the B1g next year and Texas in the SEC. So this is the committee's way of welcoming them to the Big 2.

all kinds of posters bitching incessantly about what they falsely perceive as the committee’s pro-SEC and B10 bias. Is that different than anti-ACC bias?
I would say "yes." I think the committee wanted to assure that the SEC was in the playoffs. Had Georgia won, I think FL ST would have been in along with Georgia.

However, Alabama upset the apple cart. Now, by virtue of the head to head with Texas, they were forced to put in Texas in order to justify picking Alabama.

It wasn't that they were anti-ACC: it was that they were pro-SEC. Michigan was never in question.

Totally different scenarios. OSU had a loss to an average VT team. FSU is undefeated.
That's why the committee looks at how teams are performing (and how healthy they are) in early December, not early September.

Their own guiding principles show they must consider "Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team's performance during the season or likely will affect its post season performance." The FSU offense is practically moribund without Jordan Travis, and they showed the committee that in the final stretch.

Bama and Texas met or exceeded the same criteria as FSU did in the other principles (both conference champions, strength of schedule, etc). There's no principle that says you have to be undefeated to get in, or that it somehow outweighs the other considerations.

I'll reiterate I feel bad for FSU and their bad luck with an injury to the most important position in sports, but the committee made the right call here.

Reactions: Burgh15
That's why the committee looks at how teams are performing (and how healthy they are) in early December, not early September.

Their own guiding principles show they must consider "Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team's performance during the season or likely will affect its post season performance." The FSU offense is practically moribund without Jordan Travis, and they showed the committee that in the final stretch.

Bama and Texas met or exceeded the same criteria as FSU did in the other principles (both conference champions, strength of schedule, etc). There's no principle that says you have to be undefeated to get in, or that it somehow outweighs the other considerations.

I'll reiterate I feel bad for FSU and their bad luck with an injury to the most important position in sports, but the committee made the right call here.
None of what you said explains why the committee knowing everything about their QB had FSU ranked 3rd going into the weekend and Texas 7, and FSU beat a higher ranked team than Texas this weekend.

Really only one thing could explain the above and it’s not anything you mentioned.

None of what you said explains why the committee knowing everything about their QB had FSU ranked 3rd going into the weekend and Texas 7, and FSU beat a higher ranked team than Texas this weekend.

Really only one thing could explain the above and it’s not anything you mentioned.
Fwiw FSU was ranked 4th, Oregon 5th, OSU 6th. The conference championship games had not been played yet, and that factors heavily into their final rankings (which is precisely why 2014 Ohio State got in with a 3rd string QB at the helm). FSU's offense is almost as bad as Iowa's currently. They simply are not a top 4 team right now when their best player at the most important position in all of sports is out and their backups are garbage tier. Had they decisively beat Florida and boat raced Louisville 59-0 instead of desperation resorting to the wildcat and relying on Jake Plummer's situational blindness to squeak by, I think they get in.

FSU just beat a top 15 team.

Reactions: pittdan77
Fwiw FSU was ranked 4th, Oregon 5th, OSU 6th. The conference championship games had not been played yet, and that factors heavily into their final rankings (which is precisely why 2014 Ohio State got in with a 3rd string QB at the helm). FSU's offense is almost as bad as Iowa's currently. They simply are not a top 4 team right now when their best player at the most important position in all of sports is out and their backups are garbage tier. Had they decisively beat Florida and boat raced Louisville 59-0 instead of desperation resorting to the wildcat and relying on Jake Plummer's situational blindness to squeak by, I think they get in.
Oops you’re correct, I said FSU 3rd but that was Washington. Rest of the argument still pretty much holds. If they as in the committee had em ranked higher than Texas knowing everything about their QB situation, and then they went out and beat a team that that same committee had ranked higher than the team Texas beat, the outcome defies logic.

I stand by the thought that there’s only one thing that can explain that illogical final outcome.

Oops you’re correct, I said FSU 3rd but that was Washington. Rest of the argument still pretty much holds. If they as in the committee had em ranked higher than Texas knowing everything about their QB situation, and then they went out and beat a team that that same committee had ranked higher than the team Texas beat, the outcome defies logic.

I stand by the thought that there’s only one thing that can explain that illogical final outcome.
The problem is they didn't know "everything" about FSU and their offense in Week 13. They had a sample size of 1 game against an in-state rival. FSU had another opportunity to show the committee that they can play at a high level on offense with a backup QB in against a ranked team on the big stage. They blew that opportunity, looked atrocious and perplexed on offense, and simply showed they aren't a top 4 team without Jordan Travis. They had seven 3 and out's and punted 9 times Lol.

We can agree to disagree here but I think if FSU won convincingly and showed their offense didnt skip a beat, they are in right now and Texas is the team disappointed.

How do you know that? Your batting average on prognostications is worse than mine, and mine sucks

I got the CFP right and the Pitt bball score almost exactly right today so Im 100% on the weekend. Did you watch FSU's offense? Their QBs are worse than Jurkovec. There is no chance on Earth they would have scored vs Michigan. Would have been a 10-14 point dog. Alabama is a 1.5 point dog.

Reactions: Hayekr
I got the CFP right and the Pitt bball score almost exactly right today so Im 100% on the weekend. Did you watch FSU's offense? Their QBs are worse than Jurkovec. There is no chance on Earth they would have scored vs Michigan. Would have been a 10-14 point dog. Alabama is a 1.5 point dog.
The QB last night wouldn't have played against Michigan.

Everyone can do playoffs with conference Champions except FBS. 1AA, DII, DIII, NAIA, high school, even little league. But somehow D1 can't.

Reactions: Pitt79
12 teams next year doesn't excuse the mistake of this year. Not an FSU fan but they should've been in
There has been controversy about who is in and out for as long as there has been a BCS Championship Gane or 4 team playoff.

Selfishly, as a Pitt fan, I'm furious the one thing that needed to happen for FSU to possibly reconsider wanting to defect from the ACC in the face of diminishing TV contract payouts at the time of the next renewals did not happen.

I used to think FSU fans were short sided in wanting out of the ACC at all cost, when the next round of TV contract bidding is likely to not produce financial windfalls given ESPN is running in the red and possibly in a death spiral.

Now, I don't blame them. They scheduled 2 SEC games, neither at home, won them both, and still got passed over for an Alabama team that struggled vs South Florida and only beat 6-6 Auburn because the blew it on defending 4th and 31. If I were them and felt positive an invite to one of the two privileged conferences was coming I'd want out of this too.

It was only natural that they would get spurned like this a year short of where they would have been an autobid as one of the 5 top ranked conference champions.

How does Michigan's style of play artificially keep games close?

What about Alabama? They beat TAMU by 6, Arkansas by 3, Auburn by 3. They scored 17 vs USF, 24 on Ole Miss.

Because they play at a lower pace burn a lot of plays just running into stacked boxes.

Their game this year against PSU is a perfect example. Michigan wasn’t trying to score in the game. They were just trying to burn plays.

There has been controversy about who is in and out for as long as there has been a BCS Championship Gane or 4 team playoff.

Selfishly, as a Pitt fan, I'm furious the one thing that needed to happen for FSU to possibly reconsider wanting to defect from the ACC in the face of diminishing TV contract payouts at the time of the next renewals did not happen.

I used to think FSU fans were short sided in wanting out of the ACC at all cost, when the next round of TV contract bidding is likely to not produce financial windfalls given ESPN is running in the red and possibly in a death spiral.

Now, I don't blame them. They scheduled 2 SEC games, neither at home, won them both, and still got passed over for an Alabama team that struggled vs South Florida and only beat 6-6 Auburn because the blew it on defending 4th and 31. If I were them and felt positive an invite to one of the two privileged conferences was coming I'd want out of this too.

It was only natural that they would get spurned like this a year short of where they would have been an autobid as one of the 5 top ranked conference champions.
Alabama did this crazy thing where they beat the team that has been the consensus national #1 since the first week, winning the championship game of what is by far the toughest league in the country in the process. So there’s that.

Reactions: NKSplitter

Because they play at a lower pace burn a lot of plays just running into stacked boxes.

Their game this year against PSU is a perfect example. Michigan wasn’t trying to score in the game. They were just trying to burn plays.
Michigan literally has the largest margin of victory in college football this year. That means they aren't artificially keeping games close.

And u think the National Fix League is better???? It's all entertainment and big $$$$ ruined it.
Yes, I do, at least it's based on game results, you want to claim it's fixed, fine, at least it looks like it's decided on the field and not by a committee doing eye tests.

Maybe teams ranked 5th, 6th, 7th should start bribing opposing players to go after the QBs knees of top 4 teams, to create unavailability to knock teams out?

Alabama did this crazy thing where they beat the team that has been the consensus national #1 since the first week, winning the championship game of what is by far the toughest league in the country in the process. So there’s that.
Don't disagree at all. But they are also letting Alabama into the field as a team that has already lost to a team in the field(Texas) If the regular season has value, I'm not sure an undefeated P5 champ should be passed over a team that already lost to a team in the field. If they let Georgia in over FSU I'd have significantly less objection.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT