ADVERTISEMENT

Joke

Not sure who doesn't understand this by now but the TV people call the shots. How does Texas jump that far? How does Bama sneak in over an unbeaten P5 champ? It's as simple as they get to make more money and cater to the fan bases they desire with two future B1G schools versus two future SEC schools. FSU gets screwed because, like some of us have been saying, they're really not worth as much as they think and this either proves it or it's an opening shot to drive their asking price down. It's not really that complicated.

Reactions: pittmeister
Not sure who doesn't understand this by now but the TV people call the shots. How does Texas jump that far? How does Bama sneak in over an unbeaten P5 champ? It's as simple as they get to make more money and cater to the fan bases they desire with two future B1G schools versus two future SEC schools. FSU gets screwed because, like some of us have been saying, they're really not worth as much as they think and this either proves it or it's an opening shot to drive their asking price down. It's not really that complicated.
Who are these fans? Do fans with no connection to any schools want those teams? Personally, I'm sick of seeing the same small group of teams every year. Is that what people want? Are they dying to see Bama every year?

Who are these fans? Do fans with no connection to any schools want those teams? Personally, I'm sick of seeing the same small group of teams every year. Is that what people want? Are they dying to see Bama every year?
ESPN gave Texas their own network. Someone was doing mental gymnastics to make sure they're in. Hell, most of the SEC will tune in just to root for Bama to lose.

ESPN gave Texas their own network. Someone was doing mental gymnastics to make sure they're in. Hell, most of the SEC will tune in just to root for Bama to lose.
They weren't going to leave the SEC Champion out. I think once Bama won, they felt they had to elevate Texas.

Had UGA won, I think FSU would have went in over Texas.

They weren't going to leave the SEC Champion out. I think once Bama won, they felt they had to elevate Texas.

Had UGA won, I think FSU would have went in over Texas.
Everyone is pointing at Bama but Texas jumped over a lot of schools to end up where they landed. The "SEC spot" was a given so it really wasn't Bama that took FSU's place. As soon as Texas won, FSU was in trouble.

Everyone is pointing at Bama but Texas jumped over a lot of schools to end up where they landed. The "SEC spot" was a given so it really wasn't Bama that took FSU's place. As soon as Texas won, FSU was in trouble.
No, I agree more with TD’s post right above yours.

Texas win didn’t do in FSU, Bama’s did. I think if UGA had won, FSU would be in. But they couldn’t put Bama in without putting Texas in.

And of course, the whole no QB thing has done play in it as well. Or that’s just one of the excuses they use.

No, I agree more with TD’s post right above yours.

Texas win didn’t do in FSU, Bama’s did. I think if UGA had won, FSU would be in. But they couldn’t put Bama in without putting Texas in.

And of course, the whole no QB thing has done play in it as well. Or that’s just one of the excuses they use.
Bama or Georgia were going to be in, regardless. The SEC was never going to get left out. If both made it, I would agree but Texas is the school with the mammoth fan base that moved up four spots.

You are correct. But it is average scoring margin for an undefeated team.

Do you think it’s possible that:

1. Michigan plays a kind of offense that artificially limits plays/possessions run, thereby limiting its offensive production.

And

2. None of that mattered against most team’s on Michigan’s schedule because the opposing offenses they played can’t score on anybody, so even playing a more -1960s style of offense would have led to comfortable wins?

Do you think it’s possible that:

1. Michigan plays a kind of offense that artificially limits plays/possessions run, thereby limiting its offensive production.

And

2. None of that mattered against most team’s on Michigan’s schedule because the opposing offenses they played can’t score on anybody, so even playing a more -1960s style of offense would have led to comfortable wins?
I don't know why you use the term artificially.

The goal isn't to maximize yards and points. The goal is score when you have possession of the ball and to keep your opponent from scoring when they have the ball.

Bama or Georgia were going to be in, regardless. The SEC was never going to get left out. If both made it, I would agree but Texas is the school with the mammoth fan base that moved up four spots.
Yeah, Bama or UGA were going to get in. The rest of the dominoes we’ll never know, I just think if UGA had won, it’s a real good chance the 4th would have been FSU.

Yeah, Bama or UGA were going to get in. The rest of the dominoes we’ll never know, I just think if UGA had won, it’s a real good chance the 4th would have been FSU.
This

No way they were leaving an SEC team out. And once they let Bama in, they'd have had a huge outcry from Texas fans who justifiably so would have claimed results on the field dont matter as they beat Bama at Bama.

The entire NCAA D1 Football playoff has always been about $$ and influence and not about crowning a true champion as its done in EVERY sport including lower levels of NCAA Football So while I think leaving FSU out is total BS, I kind of like it because it just exposes the entire process as being a fraud. In what other sport does a team get eliminated because on of their key players got injured even though they didnt lose a game

I don't know why you use the term artificially.

The goal isn't to maximize yards and points. The goal is score when you have possession of the ball and to keep your opponent from scoring when they have the ball.

I’ve already explained how I use the term artificially.

I gave an example of a game that perfectly sums it up. Michigan vs. PSU.

Michigan’s offense was not trying to score that game. It was just running the ball into stacked boxes, knowing it would go nowhere. They literally refused to throw the football.

What that did was bleed the clock, limited possessions, and guaranteed that Michigan was only going to score so many points.

That’s how you end up losing to a 3* team in the college football playoffs.

My point is that, margin of victory is not a great indicator of offensive style of play, when teams in your conference have Brian Ferentz as a play caller.

It’s possible that Michigan does have a style of play that’s going to limit the number of points Michigan can score, while at the same time that not show up in most games because the other teams have trouble scoring any points on just about anybody.

I’ve already explained how I use the term artificially.

I gave an example of a game that perfectly sums it up. Michigan vs. PSU.

Michigan’s offense was not trying to score that game. It was just running the ball into stacked boxes, knowing it would go nowhere. They literally refused to throw the football.

What that did was bleed the clock, limited possessions, and guaranteed that Michigan was only going to score so many points.

That’s how you end up losing to a 3* team in the college football playoffs.

My point is that, margin of victory is not a great indicator of offensive style of play, when teams in your conference have Brian Ferentz as a play caller.

It’s possible that Michigan does have a style of play that’s going to limit the number of points Michigan can score, while at the same time that not show up in most games because the other teams have trouble scoring any points on just about anybody.
Bleeding clock and limiting possessions had absolutely nothing to do with Michigan losing to TCU. A fumble at the goal line, two other trips with 1st and goal that resulted in only 3 points, and 2 pick-6s is how Michigan lost to TCU.

Michigan had 18 possessions that game.

Reactions: Hayekr
Bama or Georgia were going to be in, regardless. The SEC was never going to get left out.
Leaving the SEC out at least once would have made the committee look good, legit, instead of looking like they're owned by the SEC, this was a year where game results were such that it would have been arguably legit to leave the SEC out. and if anyone complains, say you went with most deserving and F-U SEC and Uncle Fester Feinbaum.

Reactions: PITT 76
Leaving the SEC out at least once would have made the committee look good, legit, instead of looking like they're owned by the SEC, this was a year where game results were such that it would have been arguably legit to leave the SEC out. and if anyone complains, say you went with most deserving and F-U SEC and Uncle Fester Feinbaum.
Fester has been on one helluva diet.

Bleeding clock and limiting possessions had absolutely nothing to do with Michigan losing to TCU. A fumble at the goal line, two other trips with 1st and goal that resulted in only 3 points, and 2 pick-6s is how Michigan lost to TCU.

Michigan had 18 possessions that game.

Forcing the run 40 times for an okay per carry average at a slow pace, sure worked in TCU’s favor after it got some good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT