ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Hough

Las Panteras

All Conference
May 11, 2014
For those that follow recruiting closely, any info in Josh Hough?

Did we go after him? Was the interest mutual?

It seems this kid is the type of back we havent seen this year. All those 3rd and 1 snaps would have worked with a kid like this?

Curious what you guys think of this kid

Not sure how much Pitt recruited him, but his dad really had some negative, nasty things to say about the program. Don’t know if it was sour grapes, but doubt if this kid would have even considered the Panthers.

We offered late. Personally, I think he's a DL. Dad took it personal. Funny because psu thought he was a DT too.

They were featured on Friday Night Tykes Steel Country. The dad was an asshat on the show and apparently hasn’t changed. Supposedly his dad is a Pitt fan and was upset we didn’t recruit him harder. They both think he is a RB, our staff along with other schools disagreed. He isn’t worth the headache.

They were featured on Friday Night Tykes Steel Country. The dad was an asshat on the show and apparently hasn’t changed. Supposedly his dad is a Pitt fan and was upset we didn’t recruit him harder. They both think he is a RB, our staff along with other schools disagreed. He isn’t worth the headache.
Is he better than Malik Newton? We''ll see.

It seems this kid is the type of back we havent seen this year. All those 3rd and 1 snaps would have worked with a kid like this?

Yeah, Hough perked my curiosity as well. I had just finished reading a write up in Pitt’s recruits and there being a comment on Newton being a big bruiser of a back and could come in next year as our best RB.

And then I proceeded to read another article on all the local WPIAL recruits and where they signed. Got to Hough and him going to the Cuse. His height/weight stat line makes Newton sound small.

Hough may do well at Syracuse, but you guys are right .....

Hough is a low 3 star with P5 offers from Syracuse/Pitt/Kentucky ......

Newton is a high 3 star with P5 offers from Pitt/Clemson/Louisville/Maryland/Nebraska/North Carolina/Penn State/Purdue/South Carolina/Tennessee/Texas A&M/Virginia/Virginia Tech/WVU .....

At this point in time based on rankings and P5 offers, I know which recruit I would take as a RB and it's not the local kid.

Hough may do well at Syracuse, but you guys are right .....

Hough is a low 3 star with P5 offers from Syracuse/Pitt/Kentucky ......

Newton is a high 3 star with P5 offers from Pitt/Clemson/Louisville/Maryland/Nebraska/North Carolina/Penn State/Purdue/South Carolina/Tennessee/Texas A&M/Virginia/Virginia Tech/WVU .....

At this point in time based on rankings and P5 offers, I know which recruit I would take as a RB and it's not the local kid.
My cousin lives in the Norfolk area and said we're getting a good one in Newton. I think a kid like Hough that has an overbearing dad is better suited to leaving the area.

I know of someone in the Beaver Falls sports community and their direct quote. " He is a big time D1 player. But he is not a D1 RB and that is what he wants to be. Cuse is letting him do that so he is going there. Hopefully it works out for him because he has big time talent on D."

I know of someone in the Beaver Falls sports community and their direct quote. " He is a big time D1 player. But he is not a D1 RB and that is what he wants to be. Cuse is letting him do that so he is going there. Hopefully it works out for him because he has big time talent on D."

The Beaver falls people may be right about Hough, but I would take all 3 of the defensive lineman we signed (Ford/Donald/Johnson) over Hough by a clear margin.

The Beaver falls people may be right about Hough, but I would take all 3 of the defensive lineman we signed (Ford/Donald/Johnson) over Hough by a clear margin.
Correct and if he doesn’t want to switch and his dad is a loud mouth then it isn’t worth the additional hassle.

Reactions: pierre93

I like Malik Newton better. Newton and Rodney Hammond comprise a potentially excellent tandem of RB’s in the 2021 class.

I like Malik Newton better. Newton and Rodney Hammond comprise a potentially excellent tandem of RB’s in the 2021 class.

I don't think anyone is going to argue this outside of Hough's true inner circle. Like I said even Beaver Falls people who are high on him and support him don't see him being a D1 Running Back. I have no problem with him trying out RB but I hope he is wise enough to move to another position if that is what it takes.

Newton shown squatting 500 on recent video. Weight north of 220 now. A load that needs to fit into Whipple’s O.

I don't think anyone is going to argue this outside of Hough's true inner circle. Like I said even Beaver Falls people who are high on him and support him don't see him being a D1 Running Back. I have no problem with him trying out RB but I hope he is wise enough to move to another position if that is what it takes.

Newton’s put together. Reportedly a hard worker. Going to enroll at Pitt in January. He’ll be able to participate in the Pitt S&C and nutrition programs. Get a head start on the offensive system and playbook.

Then - HOPEFULLY - a full spring practice session. This will be an important spring for a lot of guys.

Reactions: pierre93
If I want to be a star running back, I don't think I'd go to either Pitt or Syracuse given the styles of offense they run.

If I want to be a star running back, I don't think I'd go to either Pitt or Syracuse given the styles of offense they run.

I guess that is the point with Hough. He is not a D1 RB so he will go where he can to be one.

Newton’s put together. Reportedly a hard worker. Going to enroll at Pitt in January. He’ll be able to participate in the Pitt S&C and nutrition programs. Get a head start on the offensive system and playbook.

Then - HOPEFULLY - a full spring practice session. This will be an important spring for a lot of guys.

This.....

I guess that is the point with Hough. He is not a D1 RB so he will go where he can to be one.
Sure, if you want to get some snaps out of the tailback position, go to Syracuse. But if you really want to be a star running back, and Syracuse is the only P5 that wants you as RB, I would have picked an AAC school, or Buffalo or another MAC school, that uses a feature RB.

I don't want to get it twisted. I think Hough is really good player. It's hard to compare him to the Newton kid.

I thought Hough looked physically gassed in their loss to Wilmington. But, he's a +athlete and might be more athletic than Newton. It's just hard to tell based upon different circumstances. Hough reminds me a bit of David Bailey up at BC and Kevin Givens at PSU.

Newton shown squatting 500 on recent video. Weight north of 220 now. A load that needs to fit into Whipple’s O.

He doesn't squat 500. That video of him attempting that weight is textbook for why you should have certified professional trainers working with athletes. It is an injury waiting to happen. I would venture to say he probably can legitimately squat 405-425 parallel. Which is a nice solid lift. But, 500lb 6" squats are more ego/ignorance of the trainer than anything else.

I have a feeling Newton will be on defense as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT