ADVERTISEMENT

Just spoke with a friend who is employed in a management capacity by Disney...

Businesses can open up if they want to. That doesn't guarantee people will flock back immediately. Businesses are going to fail. Just like people are going to die.
Those two items are for sure.

The unknown question is who is going to accept the liability for this. I'm sure the insurance companies and especially the lawyers are reading these tealeaves. I would bet that the insurance companies that offer liability and workers comp. are already increasing their premiums. They really don't have a choice.

The lawyers are also sharpening their pencils just drooling at the thought of going after the
nfl or any team that has a player, or a member of the players family, or a support staff die from this. The guy that fell off the scaffold at norte dame his settlement will be peanuts compared to this one.

Can any university president or Board of Directors accept this risk? Some on this board feel it is not a big risk, we shall see.
I would anticipate that by mid to late May decisions will have to be made on the fall football schedule. We will see who wins out. An old adage states to follow the money.
40 days and counting.
This is such a stupid take. So you think if someone goes to a sporting event and gets this virus a week or two later that they will not only be able to prove that they got it at the gsme but that the ownership or the school is liable for millions?? You really think that??

This is such a stupid opinion that I am kind of annoyed I even acknowledged it. With a response.

Reactions: superstein61a
The subway in New York has been operating throughout - that is a mass gathering with 1000's of people squished together
No it’s not because 1000s of people aren’t on the trains now

my brother lives in NYC...

The NYT just ran a COVID story showing two passengers on the Staten Island Ferry like 10 ft apart.

Reactions: pierre93
This is such a stupid take. So you think if someone goes to a sporting event and gets this virus a week or two later that they will not only be able to prove that they got it at the gsme but that the ownership or the school is liable for millions?? You really think that??

This is such a stupid opinion that I am kind of annoyed I even acknowledged it. With a response.

Interestingly, 5 people who attended an Indiana (state) HS bball playoff game died from COVID. The crowd was estimated at 2800. There is no way to know that they were infected at the game but there were rumors the game was going to be canceled because someone tested positive a few miles away. I don't know what to make of this but its interesting.

When you look at what Mardi Gra did or what the Atalanta's Champions League match (was moved to a bigger stadium in Milan in early March to accomodate the large ticket demand), which has been blamed for helping make the Lombardy region a hot spot, I think its pretty clear that these mass gatherings are a pretty bad idea. Just not worth it.

Protecting the brand.

Pay attention to those industry leaders who make business decisions based on science and facts vs political reasons or emotion and you'll get the real picture.
Look, I hope that everything gets back to normal tomorrow BUT with President Trump stating that it will be up to the governors of each state to decide when to open things up, that creates a huge problem for all sports leagues. You will need 50 governors agreeing that it is safe to allow sports to return and I just do not see that happening right away. What happen if Governor Wolf says no to sports being played in the state until next year? Will Pitt and penn state play out game against teams from out of state? Has to be all of them and that may be harder to get done then what we think.

Last edited:
Here's the thing. I've said it a million times. Businesses can open up but they will have little to no business. Not many people will be going to bars, nightclubs, restaurants, malls, etc until there is a vaccine/treatment.

Bull. Just because you are paralyzed by fear does not mean everyone is. People will patronize businesses when they open. No one is going to sit home cowering in a corner like you for over a year waiting for some vaccine.

Will businesses be immediately packed like before, likely not. But it will ramp up

The subway is essential transportation. It is the ONLY means of transportation for many ESSENTIAL workers. Shutting it down is not even an option.

So you admit you were wrong and mass gatherings are already occurring and have been in mass transit systems across the country

Again

no clue what your problem is but NYC subways are NOT packed with 1000s of passengers

what planet are you living on anyway?

Again, a mass gathering does not have to be 1000's of people. You put 50 people in a subway car or a bus and you have a mass gathering - and there are a lot more riding

Easy to find evidence:

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/some-ne...d-subway-commutes-during-coronavirus-pandemic

https://t.co/Wp7Kj5Ca8i

https://cdn.talkingpointsmemo.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/AP20098513788845-600x400@2x.jpg

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/new-york-subway-transit-coronavirus

https://abc7ny.com/overcrowded-subway-train-nyc-social-distancing-coronavirus/6068366/

What planet are you living on

Last edited:
You’re missing the goddamn point if you read his tweets he has examples of other cars being practically empty in NY

he was literally posting those pictures to gripe about those more busy cars as being out of line in the standard

yet you use it as an example of why people will choose to go out more or to stadiums or whatever you dreamt up.

like I said Staten Island Ferris 3 days ago bare... I was just there in November.... standing room only.

Reactions: pierre93
You’re missing the goddamn point if you read his tweets he has examples of other cars being practically empty in NY

he was literally posting those pictures to gripe about those more busy cars as being out of line in the standard

yet you use it as an example of why people will choose to go out more or to stadiums or whatever you dreamt up.

like I said Staten Island Ferris 3 days ago bare... I was just there in November.... standing room only.

No - you are missing the god damn point. This was about mass gatherings occurring - and people not realizing they have been and still occur daily on mass transit systems in cities across the country

Here is just one example:

Things are opening up but there will be 0 mass gatherings until a vaccine/effective treatment

Yeah I’m gonna take a wild guess that he was referring to stadiums and concerts and the like and you keep referring to an example of an outlier train in nyc that people are actually upset over as an example of how people will conduct mass gatherings...

despite the fact there is literally no comparison to be made there... at all.

So you admit you were wrong and mass gatherings are already occurring and have been in mass transit systems across the country

Please stop talking about subways. It is essential travel, has drastically decreased ridership, and is one of the reasons NY was hit so hard.

I am sorry if this is difficult for you to hear but there will be no mass gatherings until there is a vaccine (or possibly an effective treatment). There is just no way, none at all, that sports leagues are going to have fans in the stands until then. Again, I am sorry.

And as for business reopening, the traffic at restaurants and retail businesses will be like 1/10-1/4 of normal traffic. How can you think as soon as they open up, everyone will flock to them like its pre-Coronavirus. Yes, people will go but in far fewer numbers

Reactions: rrig5
I’m a high school basketball coach.
We are currently scheduling for next season.
But my gut tells me it is less than 50/50 that we start playing in December. I’m guessing liability issues combined with a fall Covid resurgence cancel high school sports for 20-21. Sure hope I’m wrong.

Or football? Or basketball?

contact sports and all?

first college player gets sick and dies and you have an enormous lawsuit on your preferred schools hands.

You people are afraid of your shadows.

This is slightly worst than the flu and it like the flu will be around forever.

So far you are is part of the problem not part of the solution. You have no ideas or positive thoughts as to how to begin making some progress with the economy and society.

Things cant stay this way for much longer or Covid 19 will be the least of our problems.

Healthy people don't die from Covid 19. That's a fact.

Rachel Levin the Health Secretary from PA mentioned people who die from Covid sometimes have three underlying conditions and Covid is #4. She said healthy people will be fine.She went on to say these people are classified as Covid deaths and more study needs to take place to actually figure out how they died.

She herself said young people who die from Covid have some underlying issue in every case.

Its not as bad as you alarmists ( trump haters) are making it out to be.

So one college death will stop the games??
Look back at how many college and HS players die from other medical issues during the season
That doesn't case the games to stop.

A few of you are making a big deal about this as the general US population is wanting to move out of the lock down condition.

Most realize this is destroying lives, marriages, jobs, family savings, people will lose their homes and life savings before this is over.

The Justice Department today said they may join in lawsuits against states that overuse the lockdown provision.

still do not understand why you cannot have pro or college sports played with very few or no fans...no sure what Disney not having folks packed in lines and on rides and attractions has to do with a fan free competition broadcast on tv. Heinz Field can easily admit 20,000 well spaced fans for a football game..
Why can’t people make their own decisions? Folks this virus, like all flu type viruses, is never going away. We all have to adapt and eventually the human body will adjust. Even with the flu shot people still get A, B, Swine, etc. Living in complete fear is no why to live. Political correctness can sometimes go way too far. So having said that, we all should have the freedoms within reason to do the things we like, understanding the risks. But don’t force a plural your agenda on me.

So far you are is part of the problem not part of the solution. You have no ideas or positive thoughts as to how to begin making some progress with the economy and society.

Things cant stay this way for much longer or Covid 19 will be the least of our problems.

Rachel Levin the Health Secretary from PA mentioned people who die from Covid sometimes have three underlying conditions and Covid is #4. She said healthy people will be fine.She went on to say these people are classified as Covid deaths and more study needs to take place to actually figure out how they died.

She herself said young people who die from Covid have some underlying issue in every case.

Look back at how many college and HS players die from other medical issues during the season

A few of you are making a big deal about this as the general US population is wanting to move out of the lock down condition.

Most realize this is destroying lives, marriages, jobs, family savings, people will lose their homes and life savings before this is over.

The Justice Department today said they may join in lawsuits against states that overuse the lockdown provision.

I think the game itself and the training are much more dangerous than the virus itself. Think about it: These players undergo complete physicals before every season to detect possible underlying conditions. They are not at risk from the virus

It seems like every season someone dies or is seriously hurt in the offseason conditioning programs. The violence and physical nature is much more dangerous, IMO

Reactions: superstein61a
I’m 66, healthy as a horse, walk the golf course 3x a week, but I take a blood pressure drug that makes me at risk. It’s not that I’m afraid, but I’m not taking any chances. It’s the people with no risk, that scares the sh!t out of me. If all used precaution, we would be able to open the economy slowly.
Kids feel invincible...I was one of them, but this brings added risk to a guy like me.
Chicago is a hotbed of COVID, but some are blaming it on 2 people at small parties that spread like a California wildfire. Don’t have the answers. And I’m not ready to croak.....
We cannot fully open the economy until people feel safe. It’s the healthy that carry this disease that scares the “at risk” to death.
If my family was in dire straights, sure I’d do whatever to provide for them, but you can’t just throw caution to the wind. Stay safe.

I’m 66, healthy as a horse, walk the golf course 3x a week, but I take a blood pressure drug that makes me at risk. It’s not that I’m afraid, but I’m not taking any chances. It’s the people with no risk, that scares the sh!t out of me. If all used precaution, we would be able to open the economy slowly.
Kids feel invincible...I was one of them, but this brings added risk to a guy like me.
Chicago is a hotbed of COVID, but some are blaming it on 2 people at small parties that spread like a California wildfire. Don’t have the answers. And I’m not ready to croak.....
We cannot fully open the economy until people feel safe. It’s the healthy that carry this disease that scares the “at risk” to death.
If my family was in dire straights, sure I’d do whatever to provide for them, but you can’t just throw caution to the wind. Stay safe.
I remember you! You were really fast when you were younger! ;)

Here in HHI the private beaches are open, and there are very few people using them. We walked to the Palmetto Dunes House entrance on Monday, and it was fine. Only a few hundred people for as far as I could see...no issues with distance, and lotsa dogs having fun.
Out governor wants to open the public beaches, but the Mayors of Savannah and HHI said not yet.
Not sure what exactly a non essential business is, but they will be opening here shortly, so there is some traction to get things moving slowly....

Some doctors think BP meds put people at more risk, and others think they may reduce the symptoms.

"Instead of making COVID-19 symptoms worse, some antihypertensive drugs may actually reduce the severity of infections, and could therefore be used to treat the disease, both sets of doctors say. A closer look at the underlying mechanisms of the medications has also buoyed another idea for how to treat COVID-19—give patients the enzyme ACE2 as a decoy to direct SARS-CoV-2 away from their cells. A biotech company developing such an approach using recombinant ACE2 received regulatory approval today (April 2) to start clinical trials on COVID-19 patients."

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-...-the-way-to-possible-covid-19-treatment-67371

I hope you stay safe.....But I have a question for you. Obviously, you are smart enough to realize that you are at risk and the "healthy" carry the disease.....most people miss that part. Would you be willing to quarantine all people 66 years and over so that the economy could start to re-open? Would you be willing to give up your freedoms so others could live their lives?

still do not understand why you cannot have pro or college sports played with very few or no fans...no sure what Disney not having folks packed in lines and on rides and attractions has to do with a fan free competition broadcast on tv. Heinz Field can easily admit 20,000 well spaced fans for a football game..

Well, we won't need the upper deck tarps if they enforce social distancing. We'll be spread all over the stadium.

Found the person who has never been to NY.
I have been there. Great city. In addition to the subway, NYC has streets and cars and bikes and sidewalks. I recall shops all over the place. Bottom line, social isolation cannot occur on public transportation. Just can’t.

I have been there. Great city. In addition to the subway, NYC has streets and cars and bikes and sidewalks. I recall shops all over the place. Bottom line, social isolation cannot occur on public transportation. Just can’t.

Correct but NYC would be completely shut down if not for them. Some people have no choice but to ride the subway.

I hope you stay safe.....But I have a question for you. Obviously, you are smart enough to realize that you are at risk and the "healthy" carry the disease.....most people miss that part. Would you be willing to quarantine all people 66 years and over so that the economy could start to re-open? Would you be willing to give up your freedoms so others could live their lives?
Yes. I’m very cautious in all aspects. I can social distance at golf. Have my own Clicgear cart, so I have no interaction with anyone. We shop sparingly, with a mask and a spray bottle of sanitizer. We can walk an unlimited miles of trails and the beach here responsibly, and then we stay home the rest of the day. I buy a case of vino at a time from a small mom and pop place.
We will live like this as long as it takes...it’s not that bad of a life....being in Hilton Head helps a lot too...

My wife’s an epidemiologist

you are clueless... slightly worse than the flu???

COVID has killed more Americans in one month than the flu has in a year.

this isnt being afraid it’s just being rational.

the Justice Department is currently run by a sycophant who hasn’t done a single duty “for the people “ since his confirmation... all he does is run cover for trump and if you can’t see that by now it’s on you.

I’m not huddled in my home 24/7.... I get out I bike I even taught my son how to bike this week. I walk but I observe distancing, wear a mask and use gloves or sanitizer any time I do anything related to getting groceries... it’s not fear it’s reality.

it’s also not at all true only old or only people with preexisting conditions can get sick or die... this week a 5 year old girl died after getting COVID which led to further complications (daughter of two first responders police and I believe EMS). There’s been deaths in the 20s,30s and 40s also . It’s just not true only bedridden old people die from it. Although they are obviously more vulnerable.

The point right isn’t just if YOU get it or not ... it’s also if you pass it along without knowing... it’s frankly just being a good unselfish citizen at this point

“political correctness “ has nothing and I mean nothing to do with the discussion.
It’s obvious some prefer to listen to Dr Drew or Dr Oz honest to god.

Last edited:
You couldn’t pay me enough money to take my kids to a Disney park. There ls not enough money on this planet.

Think of the accumulation of foreign and domestic trash and filth that congregate in mass numbers at Disney world every day. To be stuck in a closed area next to that? No way in hell.

That place is like a big Petri dish to mix and match germs from all over the world. It's like Disney World for viruses! Last time we went, it seemed like we were in the minority speaking English - which suggests that the parks would be the perfect catalyst for worldwide transmission.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Correct but NYC would be completely shut down if not for them. Some people have no choice but to ride the subway.
Who are these people? Did the roads disappear? During normal times, the subway is absolutely critical. If everyone is staying nome, notsomuch. Bottom line, if public transportation is open — especially in NYC - I am really struggling to grasp how shutting anything else down accomplishes much.

Actually Zelda would probably be the filthiest thing at Disney World.
giphy.gif

That place is like a big Petri dish to mix and match germs from all over the world. It's like Disney World for viruses! Last time we went, it seemed like we were in the minority speaking English - which suggests that the parks would be the perfect catalyst for worldwide transmission.
when the vast majority of it's occupants are foreigners from third world countries that don't know what a vaccination is, probably best not to hang out with them in tight spots for hours at a time..

Business owners will have to weigh a lot of decisions about reopening. Cost of start up again/bringing or hiring staff, and will people even support them.
Worst case scenario would be for someone to open and have a staff or patron have virus and spread it to all in the establishment. That would be a death wish to the business.

A lot of decisions to make, what would you do?

and will people even support

Things are opening up but there will be 0 mass gatherings until a vaccine/effective treatment
Yeah I’m gonna take a wild guess that he was referring to stadiums and concerts and the like and you keep referring to an example of an outlier train in nyc that people are actually upset over as an example of how people will conduct mass gatherings...

despite the fact there is literally no comparison to be made there... at all.

A mass gathering is a mass gathering. Makes no difference where it is

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT