ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas State Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** This might be one of those College Hoops seasons that just doesn’t make any sense.

** Evansville beats Kentucky. Virginia Tech beats Michigan State.

** Pitt beats Florida State, then loses to Nicholls, while Florida State then goes and beats Florida.

** Nope. No sense.

** Even less sense is winning a game when you turn the ball over 21 times, assist on just 2 buckets, and hit one single three.

** Just three weeks ago, it made nothing but total sense to suggest that the Panther backcourt would be our strength. We returned a brilliant sophomore plus and his inconsistent but talented sophomore sidekick, who offered a pair of 30 point games a year ago.

** How is it even possible that these two combined for 13 turnovers tonight? That doesn’t make any sense.

** The last time I can remember anything so completely nonsensical is when an All-Conference Vonteego turned it over 12 times in a single game.

** I’d like anyone who is reading this to raise your hand if you thought the strength of the Panthers in any single game would be with Terrell playing the four, Justin Champaigne the three, and Eric Hamilton playing the five.

** If you have your hand raised right now, I say NONSENSE! Or maybe I’ll just call you a liar.

** Those three combined for 33 points, 21 rebounds, and 5 blocks. Terrell altered about a half dozen other shots. And with this trio, somehow they managed to make the difference on the defensive end, win the boards, and get points without anyone really ever getting them the ball.

** No sense.

** Actually, something we said about the Panthers before the season started still makes plenty of sense.

** That is, the conventional wisdom was that the Panthers would likely go as far as Xavier and Trey would take them. This is probably just as true now as it was on November 1.

** We need for X and Trey to find their games. If they can find their games, it’s even possible that this team could somehow exceed pre-season expectations, knowing that Hamilton and, especially, Champaigne look so much more capable than it would have made sense to assert previously.

** But both of our sophomore guards have such a long way to go.

** Accordingly, our offense as a whole has an ever longer way to go. And thinking we can be even an NIT team really doesn't yet make any sense.

** I’ll go as far to say that we won’t win any more games this year when notching 2 assists and 21 turnovers.

** I’ll go as far to say that we won’t win any more games this year when we lose a six point lead in the final four minutes with four egregious errors, to put us down by a point.

** I’ll go as far to say that we won’t win any more games this year being outshot at the three point line 10-1.

** None of that makes sense.

** But toughness makes sense. The final score of Pitt +4 only makes sense knowing we were the tougher team on the Fort Meyers Court.

** The score makes even more sense knowing that Xavier was able to gather himself to hit a tremendous winning shot, then drawing a courageous charge for the difference.

** It's good to know that’s still somewhere inside him.

** On this night, as much as it doesn’t make any sense, I’ll end this night congratulating Xavier and the Panthers on a really fine win.

** And to be sure, I really don’t mind if this season ever really makes sense, as long as the wins keep coming.

** I’d like anyone who is reading this to raise your hand if you thought the strength of the Panthers in any single game would be with Terrell playing the four, Justin Champaigne the three, and Eric Hamilton playing the five.

LOL...you might want to read some of my posts tonight on this very point.
However, I admit it didn't cross my mind until after tonight's game.
I guess we were on the same wave length tonight. LOL

We also have to provide a shout-out to the Pittsburgh dad's sitting near the announcers table that were giving it to the refs all night, n'at.

Wally Rutecki certainly had it coming for missing KSU knock the ball out of bounds right in front on him.

And they missed the offensive basket interference that led to the three to give KSU their 30th point.

But otherwise, I thought the crew did a pretty decent job for a game as scrappy as this one.

** This might be one of those College Hoops seasons that just doesn’t make any sense.

** Pitt beats Florida State, then loses to Nicholls, while Florida State then goes and beats Florida.

** Nope. No sense.

** Even less sense is winning a game when you turn the ball over 21 times, assist on just 2 buckets, and hit one single three.

** Just three weeks ago, it made nothing but total sense to suggest that the Panther backcourt would be our strength. We returned a brilliant sophomore plus and his inconsistent but talented sophomore sidekick, who offered a pair of 30 point games a year ago.

** How is it even possible that these two combined for 13 turnovers tonight? That doesn’t make any sense.

** The last time I can remember anything so completely nonsensical is when an All-Conference Vonteego turned it over 12 times in a single game.

** If you have your hand raised right now, I say NONSENSE! Or maybe I’ll just call you a liar.

** Those three combined for 33 points, 21 rebounds, and 5 blocks. Terrell altered about a half dozen other shots. And with this trio, somehow they managed to make the difference on the defensive end, win the boards, and get points without anyone really ever getting them the ball.

** No sense.

** Actually, something we said about the Panthers before the season started still makes plenty of sense.

** That is, the conventional wisdom was that the Panthers would likely go as far as Xavier and Trey would take them. This is probably just as true now as it was on November 1.

** We need for X and Trey to find their games. If they can find their games, it’s even possible that this team could somehow exceed pre-season expectations, knowing that Hamilton and, especially, Champaigne look so much more capable than it would have made sense to assert previously.

** Accordingly, our offense as a whole has an ever longer way to go. And thinking we can be even an NIT team really doesn't yet make any sense.

** I’ll go as far to say that we won’t win any more games this year when notching 2 assists and 21 turnovers.

** I’ll go as far to say that we won’t win any more games this year when we lose a six point lead in the final four minutes with four egregious errors, to put us down by a point.

** I’ll go as far to say that we won’t win any more games this year being outshot at the three point line 10-1.

** But toughness makes sense. The final score of Pitt +4 only makes sense knowing we were the tougher team on the Fort Meyers Court.

** The score makes even more sense knowing that Xavier was able to gather himself to hit a tremendous winning shot, then drawing a courageous charge for the difference.

** On this night, as much as it doesn’t make any sense, I’ll end this night congratulating Xavier and the Panthers on a really fine win.

** And to be sure, I really don’t mind if this season ever really makes sense, as long as the wins keep coming.
How about Nicholls getting beat pretty easily by the NC A&T Aggies?

** Nope. No sense.

** No sense.

The win was a very nice win, but the play of our guards is very concerning. What is especially troubling is that as of now, this team seems incapable of learning from their mistakes. We had hoped these "freshman" mistakes would stop, but as of now, I don't see any changes. This is not a very smart team and an assist to TO ratio of 2-21 is downright embarrassing.

** Nope. No sense.

** No sense.

I am in the camp that when you scrap for a win like tonight and win, good things tend to happen down the road. Thinking about this year we all thought that our 2 guards would be great and hoping that our bigs played just a little better. Well Champagnie is looking to be the real deal and that only will make the others better. This season start I think will ground our guards which will lead them to become better team players which eventually will prove to be a tough winning team later on. Trying to see the glass half full, I don’t think our guards can play any worse and when they finally get it going the team has a chance to put together a decent year.

The win was a very nice win, but the play of our guards is very concerning. What is especially troubling is that as of now, this team seems incapable of learning from their mistakes. We had hoped these "freshman" mistakes would stop, but as of now, I don't see any changes. This is not a very smart team and an assist to TO ratio of 2-21 is downright embarrassing.

It seemed like they are making many more "freshman mistakes" than they did as freshmen.

Earlier and earlier start to the season. More and more one and done effects.

I don't know.......just trying to explain the wackiness to the start of the season.

I’ll take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day. Neither team has a lot of firepower on O, so you knew it would be ugly. But to win a game where you have 2 assists and 21 turnovers...wow. So credit to Pitt for winning the battle on the glass, hitting FT’s and finding a way to win.

What I liked:

-The toughness and rebounding from Hamilton and Champ. We got the physical play out of Hamilton we needed. His post game is underrated...he’s no Tim Duncan but I would like to see us go to him more. As for Champ, no doubt he is going to be a fan favorite with his all out hustle and play.

-JC going big with a front court of Brown, Hamilton and Champ. This gives us legit size and rebounding. Brown will never be a big rebounder but he provides rim protection. Hamilton and Champ can do the rebounding.

-The 2-3 zone with the big lineup. Just having a shot blocker in the middle of the zone makes it tough. And many college teams run garbage O against a zone D. As long as you rebound out of it the zone can be a nice weapon.

-The play where Brown got a block on one end and then the O rebound and dunk on the other. Will probably never be consistent with his motor but what a difference he can be when he brings it. And the Champ follow up dunk was nice!

-The P/R where Hamilton got the dunk, K State could not slide over for weak side help because we had nice movement with our weak side O. This was a simple and nice move by JC. We need more of this.

-FT shooting 18 of 21

What needs work:

-Clearly protecting the ball. Some of the turnovers by X and Trey are beyond bad. We tried to give the game away at the end.

-Murphy needs to stop forcing the 3. Sure nothing is being run to get him open, because of this he is rushing his 3 and not getting his feet set. Instead stick to using ball fakes and take the pull up J which is money for him so far.

-It was clear K State was overplaying and denying the ball on D. So why not use that against them and run some back doors. If we do this early and get a few easy buckets they will back off.

-The half court O has a long way to go. As Raftery said we need more movement and cutting. And he talked about how we can’t just stay with the dibble drive we have to run some actual O. We are not Kentucky where most nights they can get away with spreading the court and running dribble drive due to superior talent.

-Even if JC wants to stick with some type of high screen as his go to...why not switch it up and run a little side P&R as a different look. Seems JC likes to keep it simple, well like the high P&R the side P&R is also simple. Plus it can be harder for the D to help if you are running some type of action on the weak side of the court. See what I wrote about the Hamilton dunk...

Let’s clean up the turnovers and get another win Wednesday!

Last edited:

** Nope. No sense.

** No sense.

Great post. I am wondering by the end of this year if X can be more under control if we will see the beginnings of the Howland days. In terms of toughness and grind it out attitude. I remember listening to those games and somehow we won games that second season by wanting it more and finishing the game even in non pretty ways.

X=BK
Trey=Julius
Murphy=Donats
Champagne=Jaron

Big East style hoops. Not pretty.
We have a much better chance in the ACC in playing a Big East style than ACC. Turn the game into a street fight and we have a chance against more talented teams the same way we used to do it.

Last season until JWF started heating up the offense really was X and Trey . Their quickness caught a few teams off guard , but teams adjusted and they were far less effective as the season progressed . Everyone including both players were expecting growth in their games and so far they’ve actually regressed . They don’t have the element of surprise working for them this year , the strategy is clear , stop their penetration and force them to make bad passes or shoot . They’re both forcing things trying to take too much upon themselves and unfortunately they’re showing that they’re not capable of handling the load alone . The game needs to slow down for them and they need to rely on their teammates more . I doubt we’ll see a poorer performance from 3 ( hopefully) as a team , but until they find someone who can stretch the defense Pitt will continue to struggle because even OOC teams can take away the penetration their offense thrives on .

ps a win is a win !

I'm strapped in. If not you're gonna fall out. ;)

Cant wait until the next game and I HATE roller coasters!
PITT basketball this year is moments of sheer terror, mixed in with excitement, and calm when a commercial comes on.
roller-coaster.jpg

Reactions: rrig5 and pitt-girl
I have to plead the fifth that was me two rows behind Billy Raf at half court. The crowd was loud and hopefully came across on the TV have the games taped for watching when I get back to College Station.

Reactions: pitt-girl
I have to plead the fifth that was me two rows behind Billy Raf at half court. The crowd was loud and hopefully came across on the TV have the games taped for watching when I get back to College Station.
LOL - We heard you you giving it to the refs and Raftery even made a comment about it. We heard some good Pitt cheers, but we need more “Let’s Go Pitt” and “Defense” chants against Northwestern.

Well done!!

It's really fun yelling at a ref when you know they can hear you. When I went to Maui in 2014, I was 4 rows from the court, and during the Chaminade game I yelled at the ref all game long (much to the chagrin of my neighbors). I really didn't have much of a problem with any of the calls. I just basically yelled because I could. LOL!

Anyone old enough to remember Pete Neff, who reffed Pitt and Duquesne games in the 60s and early 70s? He was a terrible ref. One night I was giving him a particularly hard time. We were playing Westminster and one of their players kept laughing at my insults. Finally, Neff Teed him up. Buzz Ridl was coaching Westminster back then and he and the player asked Neff why he got the T. He pointed at me and said “Because I can’t give him a technical.”

With about 5 minutes left on the clock, Horse Czarnecki comes up to me and whispers that it probably would be a good idea for me to leave now. I asked why and he said that Neff was a Marine recruiter and kept a sidearm in his locker.

Anyone old enough to remember Pete Neff, who reffed Pitt and Duquesne games in the 60s and early 70s? He was a terrible ref. One night I was giving him a particularly hard time. We were playing Westminster and one of their players kept laughing at my insults. Finally, Neff Teed him up. Buzz Ridl was coaching Westminster back then and he and the player asked Neff why he got the T. He pointed at me and said “Because I can’t give him a technical.”

With about 5 minutes left on the clock, Horse Czarnecki comes up to me and whispers that it probably would be a good idea for me to leave now. I asked why and he said that Neff was a Marine recruiter and kept a sidearm in his locker.

lol. Great story

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT