ADVERTISEMENT

Keep Capel

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Sorry guys, I've done a 180. Barring something like an 0 or 1 win ACC season (and I dont see that), I want Pitt to save the $3 million in buyout money and see what Capel can do with Hugley, Femi, Burton, Horton, and Sibande. Those are 5 legit ACC players. I know, its only 5 but if he can return all those guys and maybe land a key FR who decommitted after a coaching change and/or 1-2 quality transfers, I actually believe we can be an NCAAT team next year. At the risk of sounding like RutgersAl, hear me out:

First of all, I would not predict the NCAAT but saying that if he can return all those guys and they all improve (with 1-2 making that "great leap forward," we would have a core of players just as talented as most of the rest of the weak league we play in). He needs to add a few pieces but if he can return those guys, I want him to have one more chance to see what they can do. I would much prefer that to the flavor of the month mid-major lottery ticket who will have to bring in 12 transfers to go 2-18. We can get that guy AFTER next season and save $3 million.

Hugley is going to be big-time. Femi and Burton could develop into a higher-end ACc guard tandem and Horton and Sibande can score. We wouldn't have depth and would need a 4 but that team has A CHANCE. I cant do a 4th total rebuild in 6 years. Give Capel next season and if it sucks, you saved $3 million and then you get your CAA coach and 12 transfers in March 2023.

Caveats

- Hugley transfers: Capel has to go

- Hugley stays but he loses 2 of the other 4: maybe has to go if he cant replace them

- if you can guarantee a better coach now (Pitino, Buzz, etc), you go get him now

- If this ACC season ends up disastrous, he's got to go

Sorry guys, I've done a 180. Barring something like an 0 or 1 win ACC season (and I dont see that), I want Pitt to save the $3 million in buyout money and see what Capel can do with Hugley, Femi, Burton, Horton, and Sibande. Those are 5 legit ACC players. I know, its only 5 but if he can return all those guys and maybe land a key FR who decommitted after a coaching change and/or 1-2 quality transfers, I actually believe we can be an NCAAT team next year. At the risk of sounding like RutgersAl, hear me out:

First of all, I would not predict the NCAAT but saying that if he can return all those guys and they all improve (with 1-2 making that "great leap forward," we would have a core of players just as talented as most of the rest of the weak league we play in). He needs to add a few pieces but if he can return those guys, I want him to have one more chance to see what they can do. I would much prefer that to the flavor of the month mid-major lottery ticket who will have to bring in 12 transfers to go 2-18. We can get that guy AFTER next season and save $3 million.

Hugley is going to be big-time. Femi and Burton could develop into a higher-end ACc guard tandem and Horton and Sibande can score. We wouldn't have depth and would need a 4 but that team has A CHANCE. I cant do a 4th total rebuild in 6 years. Give Capel next season and if it sucks, you saved $3 million and then you get your CAA coach and 12 transfers in March 2023.

Caveats

- Hugley stays but he loses 2 of the other 4: maybe has to go if he cant replace them

- if you can guarantee a better coach now (Pitino, Buzz, etc), you go get him now

One guy that can play who is over 6-5

A wonderful recipe for success.

Caveats

1) Get some ACC wins, at least 5 or 6, with Horton back while keeping all the key players and remaining competitive all season with a legit defense

2) Get Darren Buchanan, who is having a major senior season and has all the tools necessary to get immediate playing time and contribute next year at the 4. He would be a significant add that is absolutely going to rise in the next recruiting rankings and should be pushing for a 4 star ranking. He is the epitome of an old school tough with grit Big East Pitt player from the early 2000s that has everything necessary to be successful in college. And he absolutely digs in on defense which is how our team is trying to win right now

3) Reconvince Mintz who is close friends with Buchanan after accomplishing the first 2 things. Because if, and its still a big if, number 1 happens, followed by number 2, number 3 can still happen.

And I think if those 3 things happened, many people would be back on board with another year.

Capel needs to get some wins, period.

1) Get some ACC wins, at least 5 or 6, with Horton back while keeping all the key players and remaining competitive all season with a legit defense

2) Get Darren Buchanan, who is having a major senior season and has all the tools necessary to get immediate playing time and contribute next year at the 4. He would be a significant add that is absolutely going to rise in the next recruiting rankings and should be pushing for a 4 star ranking. He is the epitome of an old school tough with grit Big East Pitt player from the early 2000s that has everything necessary to be successful in college. And he absolutely digs in on defense which is how our team is trying to win right now

3) Reconvince Mintz who is close friends with Buchanan after accomplishing the first 2 things. Because if, and its still a big if, number 1 happens, followed by number 2, number 3 can still happen.

And I think if those 3 things happened, many people would be back on board with another year.

As long as they're in most games, I'm ok with 2 wins if those 5 come back. I can wait a year for the CAA coach and 12 transfers. I want to see what Hugley can do next season.

As long as they're in most games, I'm ok with 2 wins if those 5 come back. I can wait a year for the CAA coach and 12 transfers. I want to see what Hugley can do next season.
Well i think what's going to happen is more your scenario than a firing.

I just think HL will give him enough leeway. And at that convincing the current team to stay on the team is his best chance and this teams best chance to be good next year despite no recruits but he has to recruit his current team.

Idc either way but this just seems like reality to me.

Like others have said, I think there’s a *path* for him to come back. But it requires Capel to accomplish things that he hasn’t accomplished yet in his time here - notably, not losing a ton of games down the stretch and having the roster fall apart late in the season and into the offseason.

Absolutely not, just no. Capel made this absolute mess of a hoops program and he needs to go. Period. He doesn’t get another chance for Moral Victories and close Losses. This team got embarrassed by The Citadel and UMBC. Let’s not get all giddy that we’re losing by 1 instead of by 20. Still 0 recruits. Still no future. Still nobody on his staff that is worth anything. We have fallen so far that I do understand we can easily be happy when we see any resemblance of progress. There is none. This is the ACC. Capel needs to win and he needs to recruit. He has done neither

If he can land a couple of 2022 HS players that have upside then I am starting to warm to the idea. However, we also haven’t hit the inevitable February slide that Capel always seems to engineer.

I find it strange that a few close calls and moral victories against bad ACC teams and a pretty decent Minnesota team are warranting an upgrade from "fire him" to "give him time."

Playing tough defense is nice, but it's not like convincing guys to play tough defense is a value add for a coach...it's a requirement. its something that is expected at a place like Pitt where tough defense is part of the brand.

I find it strange that a few close calls and moral victories against bad ACC teams and a pretty decent Minnesota team are warranting an upgrade from "fire him" to "give him time."

Playing tough defense is nice, but it's not like convincing guys to play tough defense is a value add for a coach...it's a requirement. its something that is expected at a place like Pitt where tough defense is part of the brand.
It’s because Capel has taken this program so low that people literally will latch on to anything that looks like progress, none has been made. Capel is awful and he needs to go.

im actually kind of impressed, well that's too strong a word, i'll say surprised, that this lineup looks like they actually belong on the court..

IF there were anything positive on the recruiting front, then i'd agree with SMF. and i am no expert at all on hoops recruiting but there seems to be zero buzz with recruiting with this coaching staff. that's what jumps out at me..

but yeah, hugley looks reall good, that skinny tall dude looks sweet, burton and femi holding their own. i mean, this team is actually worth watching. They look real good on defense, havent given up which i was worried about.

If they ever put horton back on the court, i mean he got drunk in south side and tried to fight a tow truck driver, who in the hell hasnt done that.. F'in get over it already and get him back on the court.

im actually kind of impressed, well that's too strong a word, i'll say surprised, that this lineup looks like they actually belong on the court..

IF there were anything positive on the recruiting front, then i'd agree with SMF. and i am no expert at all on hoops recruiting but there seems to be zero buzz with recruiting with this coaching staff. that's what jumps out at me..

but yeah, hugley looks reall good, that skinny tall dude looks sweet, burton and femi holding their own. i mean, this team is actually worth watching. They look real good on defense, havent given up which i was worried about.

If they ever put horton back on the court, i mean he got drunk in south side and tried to fight a tow truck driver, who in the hell hasnt done that.. F'in get over it already and get him back on the court.
Horton isn’t a difference maker

Reactions: PittPoker and gary2
Horton isn’t a difference maker
he can hit a shot from 18' out, unlike anyone else on this roster. he is needed. i watch jeffries shoot a 3 pointer and he has the same form as a 9th grade girl shooting who isnt strong enough to get the ball that far and has to push it with her legs. Trust me, we need him..

he can hit a shot from 18' out, unlike anyone else on this roster. he is needed. i watch jeffries shoot a 3 pointer and he has the same form as a 9th grade girl shooting who isnt strong enough to get the ball that far and has to push it with her legs. Trust me, we need him..
Why do we need him? To win 2 ACC games instead of 1? What we need, is an entirely new staff and a fresh start from the absolute embarrassment this last 5+ years has been

Reactions: PittPoker
I liked how we looked the other night but keeping Capel is prolonging the inevitable. He’s had 4 years to make tangible growth and, instead, any gains from the Stallings era are minimal and I think it’s fair to say he’s gone backwards from the optimism of his first year.

Personally I haven’t heard a bad word about Capel and it’s laudable that he’s improved some of the infrastructure areas where we were behind the times, but the goal of this program shouldn’t be “well, we’re not getting blown out.” It should be in all parties interest to find a reasonable compromise and move on

We’ll find the answer in Lyke’s business model. Does FB‘s success carry BB until it can sustain itself? HL should be excited with FB’s season tix sales upcoming after a so-so championship year at Heinz. She hinted at that this morning. But the Pete will remain morgue-like unless something is done or changed. FB and related ACC stuff helps the bottomline for all sports but any business woman can’t appreciate BB attendance.

Caveats

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with what you are saying but I would have waited a few more weeks to see if they continue to compete in conference. I also hope folks on here aren't being swayed by the endless commentary by the guys doing the ND game about what a bright future this program under Cappie has due to how young the roster is. I found myself hearing that and, along with the decent play, feeling somewhat hopeful.

We’ll find the answer in Lyke’s business model. Does FB‘s success carry BB until it can sustain itself? HL should be excited with FB’s season tix sales upcoming after a so-so championship year at Heinz. She hinted at that this morning. But the Pete will remain morgue-like unless something is done or changed. FB and related ACC stuff helps the bottomline for all sports but any business woman can’t appreciate BB attendance.
Yeah everybody discusses the demonstrative improvements of the team on the court as a reason to keep Capel (tempered by an absence of positive recruiting needs).

But as far as as HL and the admin, people in seats is a large consideration. If there’s no improvement in that, their hand will be forced to act.

Reactions: gary2
Kinda agree with SMF for once. I think Capel will ultimately be fired but I think he'll get another year and that's fine IF it's more fiscally prudent and the team doesn't collapse or give up.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
Yeah everybody discusses the demonstrative improvements of the team on the court as a reason to keep Capel (tempered by an absence of positive recruiting needs).

But as far as as HL and the admin, people in seats is a large consideration. If there’s no improvement in that, their hand will be forced to act.

Be honest, how many more tickets does a mid-major coach and a really bad team of all transfers sell? 30 more tickets per game? We will be TERRIBLE next year with the mid-major guy. Hiring him is a long-term move. You're telling the fanbase, be patient as we suck the first 2 years, hopefully make the NIT by Year 3, and NCAA by Year 4. Pitt fans ain't coming until he starts winning in a couple years and you know that.

# 3 ain’t happening that ship has sailed.

Well that's not an ncaat team even with sibande playing 35m on reconstructed knees.
There's a spec of hope because the acc stinks, but its probably gonna be reset to year 1 again next year for whomever is the coach.
And its gonna still be a multiple year ordeal. So she has to decide to ask for another money order for another guy or give Capel another shot at year 1.

You are painting a best case scenario with those 3 points. That said, I like the way you are thinking. I am not sure what I would set the probability of any of this happening, but there is always hope until there isn't.

Well that's not an ncaat team even with sibande playing 35m on reconstructed knees.
There's a spec of hope because the acc stinks, but its probably gonna be reset to year 1 again next year for whomever is the coach.
And its gonna still be a multiple year ordeal. So she has to decide to ask for another money order for another guy or give Capel another shot at year 1.

Right, that's the thing. With the mid-major guy, its another reset to Year 1. The team will be horrible, like 2-18 bad as he'd have to bring in all lower-level transfers. Its a long-term move. As a Pitt fan, I cant do a 4th total rebuild in 6 years. Give me Capel, Hugley, and those guards and I'll say my prayers that we can be something next year. We'd have a chance. To pay Capel $3 million not to coach so we can go 2-18 with a brand new team of transfers is silly.

Caveats

Whether or not people like it, I think he will be here again next year.

I saw an interview (Andrew Stockey?) where Capel basically said he knew very little about Pitt basketball or Pitt in general when hired. 'Facilities, recruiting, infrastructure'. Almost nothing. Explains alot for me why its still in year 1.

I saw an interview (Andrew Stockey?) where Capel basically said he knew very little about Pitt basketball or Pitt in general when hired. 'Facilities, recruiting, infrastructure'. Almost nothing. Explains alot for me why its still in year 1.
Saw the same thing. I thought more excuses to explain his lack of success.

poor locker room, no conference room, etc, etc.

Yup…..I’m a fan of action. Talk is cheap.
I sure hope Heather has Niko Medved on her short list. He’s moved to #1 on my list of potential candidates.

If we did make a change, it would have to be a high major guy like Medved or Odom (though he isnt having a good year) or of course a guarantee like Pitino.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like Pitt needs someone like Pitino to pull this program back from the dead. I know it will never happen but we really need a jolt and an instant shot of adrenaline or this program might never recover.

I'm not in love with his questionable reputation. But he would win and bring excitement back to the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT