ADVERTISEMENT

Let's focus on a different item, regarding Stallings.. Defense

Can the stat heads or the fans describe to me his defensive philosophy.
I know the DE is less than inspiring.

-He just said he expects to run at a very high pace. Let's see him have the balls to use a full court press right from the tip. Still watching.

Chris or Matt posted a pay article with some questions from the Rivals Vandy guy.

Suffice to say he is not known for defense.

Pretty stridently a man defense guy, and it sounds like his defenses make JD's dribble drive defense look good.

Chris or Matt posted a pay article with some questions from the Rivals Vandy guy.

Suffice to say he is not known for defense.

Pretty stridently a man defense guy, and it sounds like his defenses make JD's dribble drive defense look good.
that's my fear.

I want PRESSURE, especially on the perimeter and creating turnovers.
It's a much bigger desire to me, than playing faster on offense.

that's my fear.

I want PRESSURE, especially on the perimeter and creating turnovers.
It's a much bigger desire to me, than playing faster on offense.

My personal impression was backed up by the article, I don't think he recruits live athletes at guard so much as he is looking for shooters.

He isn't our guy if we are looking for turnovers, his teams historically are VERY low on them, more like JD in trying to "contest shots."

31st vandy
128 Pitt.

So that's encouraging.

But like others said its not pressure driven or complex

He fashions himself as an offensive coach

31st vandy
128 Pitt.

So that's encouraging.

But like others said its not pressure driven or complex

He fashions himself as an offensive coach
Pitt was 58th DE this year at kenpom
Stallings OE 109.3 66.8 rank avg
Dixon OE 113.4 20.5 rank avg

Stallings DE 97.6 77.8 rank avg
Dixon DE 95 57.7 rank avg.

I am ready for the change. We have NO FINALS FOURS to show for the defence number one seeds
Dixon's team only finished first in DE at kenpom his first year. Pitt had finished 2nd in Howland's last year. Never cracked the top ten DE again but did put up a #2 & #4 OE (09 & 11)

He and JD are comparable in terms of results (except he is JD light) but could not be more different as coaches.

Stallings is not some GREAT offensive mind, and hasn't been known for all this tempo stuff he and Barnes are babbling about.

But, compared to JD we will see a more relaxed offense.

JD stiffled the team by stressing so relentlessly on the tertiary things - offensive rebounding, ball security, etc. (This is the stuff that made his offensive efficiency so good).

This was good for winning a LOT of games on the margins, but just stiffled his players offensively. AND, effected what he was looking for in recruiting, because he didn't want volume shooters or skilled scorers, he wanted guys who were careful with the ball, who could pass, who would hit the boards.

Stallings will recruit big men who have offensive games and he will recruit shooters. He is known to adapt somewhat to what he has, but won't stress the players with the tertiary stuff like JD.

Its a tradeoff, and we will see over time if is an even split, net loss or gain.

It seems both and and Barnes have this thing in their mind that getting away from Vandy will somehow allow him to be become a more wide open coach ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT