ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville Game @ the Pete & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** I had to do a little research, but the answer I came up with was the Boston College game at the Pete in 2016. This was the last time I approached an ACC game with complete certainty we were going to win.

** I offered this notion to my son and friend pregame, and they didn’t quite share my 100% certainly. There was something of a consensus among them that we wouldn't beat the spread. I even saw a handful of some of the same thoughts on the PantherLair. I can only say that I wish I would have bet.

** Harbored among all of these false notions is something that those of us among the PantherHoops nation must now be finally willing to accept wholeheartedly … we have a pretty darn good basketball team.

** And even if you can’t get 100% on board with that notion, then you must accept the fact that two thirds of the way through the ACC season, we sit tied at the top of the League.

** What I can say about my pregame prognostication was it gave me the fullest opportunity to enjoy this ACC game 100% stress free. With that, I got to enjoy all of the wonderful aspects of our Panthers without worrying about anything we might not do right.

** And other than the first few minutes when we gave the Cards a few too easy jumpers, there was almost nothing we didn’t do right tonight.

** Move the ball on offense? Check. 23 assists on 28 baskets.

** Shoot the three at a high level? Check. Almost another record.

** Disrupt shots? Check. 28% for the Cards.

** Heck, we can do an even deeper dive into the fun. For the first time in a while, we activated the Wonder Twins to the tune of 19 points, 8 rebounds and a pretty incredible 9 blocks.

** Nate Santos joined the 3 point party and even turned a three into a four.

** This was even the kind of night when Nike could blow his completely appropriate breakaway showboat dunk and then circle around and hit a three instead.

** I’m not even going bother to describe how inept Louisville was tonight, or is in general, because … well … why bother.

** Like I said, I think it’s just a much better idea just to be on board with our pretty darn good basketball team.

** In five days, our Panthers must go on the road and play one of only three ACC teams who have been able to beat them. And while winning on the road in College Basketball should never be seen as a small task, I’m feeling pretty good about our chances for that one too. I wouldn’t call it 100% certainty. But I’m actually fair close to certain.

** Meanwhile, Clemson must go on the road and play UNC on Saturday. So allow me to dream a little and consider the notion that our Panthers will be sitting all alone atop the ACC on Saturday night. Two days later, allow me to conjure the image of seeing the name “Pittsburgh” among the teams listed among the Top 25.

** I’m always one to warn against getting too far ahead of ourselves and I know I’ve done just that. But I’m nonetheless smitten that all of these glorious items are in play 7 days into February when 17 days into November our Panthers were a miserable looking 1-3.

** But please play along for a second and assume these things I’ve just described come to pass in the next week. Then I think it should be 100% certain that Jeff Capel should sit at the top of everyone’s list as ACC Coach of the Year. Check that even. How about National Coach of the Year?

** OK … I’ll pull it back for a second and put my feet on the ground and leave with this -- I am indeed certain we can quit playing around with bubble talk because we’ll be dancing in March.

** And there’s a pretty simple reason why. We are a pretty darn good basketball team.

Jeff Capel should be a lock at this point for ACC Coach of the Year and if Pitt wins the ACC and dare I say wins the ACC tournament he should get serious consideration for National Coach of the Year!!

Federiko continues to shine, loved his game today, Blake finally hit a few 3's good to see and Elliott was on fire. The twins in the second half were a force and Nike is the spark plug.

Jay Alter at the end of the game said he thinks Pitt will be a 5 or 4 seed come Selection Sunday and I wrote the same thing. But who knows, if Pitt keeps winning and winning let's shoot even higher, how about a protected 3 seed in the East Region?

Sure I'm getting ahead of myself but for the first time in 6+ years I am having so much fun watching Pitt basketball. I love it.

** I had to do a little research, but the answer I came up with was the Boston College game at the Pete in 2016. This was the last time I approached an ACC game with complete certainty we were going to win.

** I offered this notion to my son and friend pregame, and they didn’t quite share my 100% certainly. There was even something of a consensus among them that we wouldn't beat the spread. I even saw a handful of some of the same thoughts on the PantherLair. I can only say that I wish I would have bet.

** Harbored among all of these false notions is something that all among the PantherHoops nation must now be finally willing to accept wholeheartedly … we have a pretty darn good basketball team.

** And even if you can’t get 100% on board with that notion, then you must accept the fact that two thirds of the way through the ACC season, we sit at the top of the League.

** What I can say about my pregame prognostication was it gave me the fullest opportunity to enjoy this ACC game 100% stress free. With that, I got to enjoy all of the wonderful aspects of our Panthers without worrying about anything we might not do right.

** And other than the first few minutes when the gave the Cards a few too easy jumpers, there was almost nothing we didn’t do right tonight.

** Move the ball on offense. Check. 23 assists on 28 baskets.

** Shoot the three at a high level. Check. Almost another record.

** Heck, we can do an even deeper dive into the fun. For the first time in a while, we activated the Wonder Twins to the tune of 19 points, 8 rebounds and a pretty incredible 9 blocks.

** This was even the kind of night when Nike could blow his completely appropriate breakaway showboat dunk and then circle around and hit a three instead.

** I’m not even going bother to describe how inept Louisville was tonight, or is in general, because … well … why bother.

** Like I said, I think it’s just a much better idea just to be on board with our pretty darn good basketball team.

** In five days, our Panthers must go on the road and play one of only three ACC teams who have been able to beat them. And while winning on the road in College Basketball should never be seen as a small task, I’m feeling pretty good about our chances for that one too. I wouldn’t call it 100% certainty. But I’m actually fair close to certain.

** Meanwhile, Clemson must go on the road and play UNC on Saturday. So allow me to dream a little and consider the notion that our Panthers will be sitting all alone atop the ACC on Saturday night. Two days later, allow me to conjure the image of seeing the name “Pittsburgh” among the teams listed among the Top 25.

** I’m always one to warn against getting too far ahead of ourselves and I know I’ve done just that. But I’m nonetheless smitten that all of these glorious items are in play 7 days into February when 17 days into November our Panthers were a miserably looking 1-3.

** But please play along for a second and assume these things I’ve just described come to pass in the next week. Then I think it should be 100% certain that Jeff Capel should sit at the top of everyone’s list as ACC Coach of the Year. Check that even. How about National Coach of the Year?

** OK … I’ll pull it back for a second and put my feet on the ground and leave with this -- I am indeed certain we can quit playing around with bubble talk because we’ll be dancing in March.

** And there’s a pretty simple reason why. We are a pretty darn good basketball team.

** I offered this notion to my son and friend pregame, and they didn’t quite share my 100% certainly. There was even something of a consensus among them that we wouldn't beat the spread. I even saw a handful of some of the same thoughts on the PantherLair. I can only say that I wish I would have bet.

** Harbored among all of these false notions is something that all among the PantherHoops nation must now be finally willing to accept wholeheartedly … we have a pretty darn good basketball team.

** And even if you can’t get 100% on board with that notion, then you must accept the fact that two thirds of the way through the ACC season, we sit at the top of the League.

** What I can say about my pregame prognostication was it gave me the fullest opportunity to enjoy this game 100% stress free. With that, I got to enjoy all of the wonderful aspects of our Panthers without worrying about anything we might not do right.

** And other than the first few minutes when the gave the Cards a few too easy jumpers, there was almost nothing we didn’t do right tonight.

** I’m not even going bother to describe how inept Louisville was tonight, or is general, because … well … why bother.

** I’m always one to warn against getting too far ahead of ourselves and I know I’ve done just that. But I’m nonetheless smitten that all of these glorious items are in play 7 days into February when 17 days into November our Panthers were a miserably looking 1-3.

You know DT…the phrase I had in my mind tonight as I watched the game was “a rising tide lifts all boats”.

This was plainly evident during the Howland/Dixon years. Guys in our program just got good because they were practicing every day against older, better players. And there was a culture of winning.

There’s so much turnover and it’s almost not even the same sport anymore, but when you see the twins, you see Santos, even Nike etc, guys just raise the level of their own games, it’s because the collective team is just rolling right now.

Do whatever you have to do Saturday to win. Win the game in the 80s, win the game in the 50s, I don’t care, but if we get that one, I think we can all really start dreaming about where this team could go….

I love your Dribbles. I just want to say that after several years of feeling like going to the Pete to watch our beloved Panthers was like going to a funeral home, I now feel like going to The Pete is like a celebration most nights. What a gift.

** What I can say about my pregame prognostication was it gave me the fullest opportunity to enjoy this game 100% stress free. With that, I got to enjoy all of the wonderful aspects of our Panthers without worrying about anything we might not do right.

** I’m not even going bother to describe how inept Louisville was tonight, or is general, because … well … why bother.

Love it.

I’ve decided to stop worrying about making the NCAAs, but rather wondering if we can win this league.- It’s tantalizingly possible.

And - to the offense is fools gold and just chucking 3s crowd- You have no idea what you’re watching. They put on a clinic on how to play team offense and team defense tonight .

You know DT…the phrase I had in my mind tonight as I watched the game was “a rising tide lifts all boats”.

This was plainly evident during the Howland/Dixon years. Guys in our program just got good because they were practicing every day against older, better players. And there was a culture of winning.

There’s so much turnover and it’s almost not even the same sport anymore, but when you see the twins, you see Santos, even Nike etc, guys just raise the level of their own games, it’s because the collective team is just rolling right now.

Do whatever you have to do Saturday to win. Win the game in the 80s, win the game in the 50s, I don’t care, but if we get that one, I think we can all really start dreaming about where this team could go….

Great phrase in conjunction with this team. Seems to be exactly what is going on right now.

Reactions: SteelBowl70

** I offered this notion to my son and friend pregame, and they didn’t quite share my 100% certainly. There was something of a consensus among them that we wouldn't beat the spread. I even saw a handful of some of the same thoughts on the PantherLair. I can only say that I wish I would have bet.

** Harbored among all of these false notions is something that those of us among the PantherHoops nation must now be finally willing to accept wholeheartedly … we have a pretty darn good basketball team.

** And even if you can’t get 100% on board with that notion, then you must accept the fact that two thirds of the way through the ACC season, we sit tied at the top of the League.

** And other than the first few minutes when we gave the Cards a few too easy jumpers, there was almost nothing we didn’t do right tonight.

Sooooo, you're saying "we're back"? 😁 😁

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn

Yeah, I wasn’t too worried about this, but thought we may come out a little lax. We didn’t play very good D for about the first 6 minutes and then shortly after that, the game was over. I did not take the game, thought we could get up by over 20 and let it slip away late, so I stayed off.

I am not as sure about Saturday as you are, but I am looking forward at seeing how we handle playing FSU for with revenge on our minds.

If we can win on Sat, we should be ranked come Monday. I haven’t really been too focused on us making the top 25, but if we win at FSU, we deserve to be ranked come Monday.

We won this game so easily that JB really didn’t have to do very much other than make a few nice passes.

Federico really made some very nice and athletic finishes around the hoop tonight and the way he and the twins patrolled the lane with 13 blocks was special.

Watching the twins press conference was really great. If you haven’t seen it, take a look, they are tons of fun.

** I’m always one to warn against getting too far ahead of ourselves and I know I’ve done just that. But I’m nonetheless smitten that all of these glorious items are in play 7 days into February when 17 days into November our Panthers were a miserable looking 1-3.

The standing O the team got in the 1st Half when Louisville called a TO after a big run capped off by a 3 on 1 break where the guys made several unselfish passes was one of the best feel-good moments I've had at The Pete in awhile. I realize Louisville is bad but it was nice to see the crowd recognize their performance. Wished more Yinzers would get on board and show up but it is what it is. Many still have PTSD from Stallings.

Reactions: PittIsIt1995

Great summation. Taking each game as its own proving ground is the key to success IMO and this Pitt team is Uber focused.
I watched parts of the Duke/UNC, Duke/Miami, UNC/Wake games and came away far more impressed by MIAMI and Wake than either Duke or UNC. Duke flat out gets calls at home they get nowhere else and Miami pushed them around like a rag doll. UNC is an above average team with (it seems to me) no floor leaders.
There is a fine line between winning and losing (exception being Louisville) in cbb. It’s great to be on the right side of that line and the credit goes to all the staff and all the players!

There is no reason to not think we will not win the vast Majority of our remaining games and may likely win the conference. At the very least get a couple of days bye for ACC tourney. Clemson does play UNC but Hubert has to be feeling the heat down there.

There is no reason to not think we will not win the vast Majority of our remaining games and may likely win the conference. At the very least get a couple of days bye for ACC tourney. Clemson does play UNC but Hubert has to be feeling the heat down there.

The sceanrio to avoid is being 13-7 and a 5 seed and having your 1st game vs a team like BC or FSU who just won the day before. A loss there could knock them out. If we get the double bye and lose to say 5 seed Duke, that wont matter.

This team is focused and confident. They did something Pitt teams generally don’t do which is destroy a team they should destroy. It’s not easy to do when you’re coming off a layoff and playing a team that you should beat easily. To their credit they didn’t miss a beat. Credit goes to the coaches as well as team leaders like JB and Nelllie.

I feel pretty good about FSU as well as I think there’s a bit of a revenge factor combined with the fact that the team appears to be continuing to improve, especially the bench guys like Nate and the twins

Speaking of Nate I think he’s going to be another in a fairly long line of players who the fan base wanted to run off and will end up being one of Pitt’s Better players before his career is over. Would be huge if he can continue to improve his shooting confidence and add some additional offense off the bench

Someone else mentioned the twins interview and I agree it’s worth watching. Capel was smiling like a proud papa. In addition to the talent focus confidence and grit this team as that chemistry really good teams have.

Kenny Payne was extremely complimentary and said Pitt has it all and is the best team faced

Good times. HTP

Man the ball spacing and ball sharing by this team is special. But the way our bigs come out and set high screens is also special. Next year there should be more "rolls" off of this as our bigs get more experienced and stronger.

I think what separates this team from alot of perimeter shooting teams, is that it is just so deep. That when 1 or 2 guys are off, there are 1 or 2 other guys who take up the slack.

And a special shout out to Nelly, who brings that "onions" Levance factor in his ability to hit that dagger 3.

Winning so easily over Louisville is hard to imagine when not so many yrs ago we watched as Louisville embarrassed the Panthers and we had the Stallings outburst !

This is the results you get when you buy your team ! Just ask Jimmy !!

Last week I said only Clemson’s coach stands in the way of JC being ACC/ National COY , but no one is close to comeback coach of the yr . What a remarkable turn around this team has made since its disastrous start .

The twins are a joy to watch now , but I can’t wait till they’re strong enough to really hold their own against ACC level bigs .Their future at Pitts is very bright .

Last edited:
As a fan is easy to get carried away thinking about how the team might finish this year and how good they can be in the years again.

But man I really do find myself just enjoying everything game more so than thinking about the possibility of an ACC champ and NCAA run.

Reactions: rrig5
I love your Dribbles. I just want to say that after several years of feeling like going to the Pete to watch our beloved Panthers was like going to a funeral home, I now feel like going to The Pete is like a celebration most nights. What a gift.

It wasn't just a funeral home. It was like a funeral home that went out of business.

I am not sure of the ceiling for the twins as far as strength training . Their body types may dictate a pretty low ceiling in terms only of weight gain

In five days, our Panthers must go on the road and play one of only three ACC teams who have been able to beat them. And while winning on the road in College Basketball should never be seen as a small task, I’m feeling pretty good about our chances for that one too. I wouldn’t call it 100% certainty. But I’m actually fair close to certain.
Our Panthers will be dead set on showing that the first game was a mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT