ADVERTISEMENT

MacVittie

He will get his chance,it's hard to beat out a gruduate transfer to begin with let a lone someone of his pedigree

I was wondering the same thing. When Dinucci came on in the Pinstripe Bowl I was under the impression they wanted to save MacVittie's redshirt. And Dinucci had 0 arm strength from what I saw. Kind of discouraging if MacVittie can't beat him out.

Reactions: Panther-MT
Dont hear to much about him now.
Its all Ben Dinucci .
I was under the impression that Mac was going to be the next one.

By the beginning of next season, Kenny Pickett will have passed both DiNucci and MacVittie. Both seem like great guys, and I would like to see them succeed, but Pickett has a better arm, better speed, and better awareness in the pocket than either of them.

By the beginning of next season, Kenny Pickett will have passed both DiNucci and MacVittie. Both seem like great guys, and I would like to see them succeed, but Pickett has a better arm, better speed, and better awareness in the pocket than either of them.

Pickett is a right armed Tyler...

Reactions: caleco's
Pickett is a right armed Tyler...
Pickett has a much better arm than Palko, and better size for the position. Palko's arm was never going to wow anybody. We'll see if Pickett has the rest of the package-Tyler had the leadership, toughness and intangibles in spades.

We are still searching for a great QB, we can't even luck up into one. What the hell is going on???? When they said Dan Marino comes once a lifetime for a school, concerning Pitt hammer meet nail!

Pickett has a much better arm than Palko, and better size for the position. Palko's arm was never going to wow anybody. We'll see if Pickett has the rest of the package-Tyler had the leadership, toughness and intangibles in spades.

Without looking up actuals, Pickett and Tyler seem about the same physically. Velocity seems to favor Pickett. Seeing them both up close and sideline presence, Tyler was second to none a true leader and one tough cat, Pickett appears to fit that tough cat mold.

He needs to get in better shape. Oh, by the way, Steel's prediction of a 4 year starter is not going to happen...

Reactions: Jpripper88
I was wondering the same thing. When Dinucci came on in the Pinstripe Bowl I was under the impression they wanted to save MacVittie's redshirt. And Dinucci had 0 arm strength from what I saw. Kind of discouraging if MacVittie can't beat him out.

Dinucci may not have the strongest arm, but the kid is a winner. He showed me a lot in the Pinstripe bowl and if he has to take snaps during a game, I am good with that.

We are still searching for a great QB, we can't even luck up into one. What the hell is going on???? When they said Dan Marino comes once a lifetime for a school, concerning Pitt hammer meet nail!

Are you referring to this year's crop of QBs who are currently on the roster? Last year, Nate Peterman was incredibly productive at the QB position.

Reactions: ncpittfan and pbrad
in true typical fashion, pitt fans blew up their image, perception of an incoming freshman and since they aren't anointed the starter from day 1, they feel it's over and now will anoint the next incoming freshman as the new face of the program.. So if pickett isn't starter by this time next year, are we going to read these same posts about him and how he is a bust and all all our future hopes are in the hands of Nick Patti?

Dinucci may not have the strongest arm, but the kid is a winner. He showed me a lot in the Pinstripe bowl and if he has to take snaps during a game, I am good with that.

My only concern with Dinucci was his tendency to telegraph where he is going with the ball long before he makes the pass; the result were two INTs in a limited number of possessions. I think he can and will get better, but has to learn to look off the secondary.

Reactions: pittmeister
I don't think I ever bought the hype of this kid - he had a terrible offer sheet and everyone wanted brag about a late offer from LSU when they were desperately trying to fill out their class. Dinucci and Pickett will be the guys competing for the job after this season, TMAC may look to transfer.

I don't think I ever bought the hype of this kid - he had a terrible offer sheet and everyone wanted brag about a late offer from LSU when they were desperately trying to fill out their class. Dinucci and Pickett will be the guys competing for the job after this season, TMAC may look to transfer.
I suspect TMAC's issue is the learning curve. He started off well behind with only a few games of varsity experience at QB. Going from that to P5 football is a big step.

Just one year of high school experience and even then a knee injury prevented him from playing his entire senior season. Tom's high school played one of the toughest schedules in the country and he threw 22 TDs and just one pick.

Can we let the kid get some weight room work in and some reps for a couple of seasons before we start judging whether he'll be a player or not for the program.

This board can be amazing. Ten years ago it was "You win with redshirt juniors and seniors on the line of scrimmage" to now if a linemen isn't winning the Outland Trophy as a true freshman then his career might be better off spent at IUP.

Do you find it ironic that you bag on Macvittie's offer sheet but ignore the equally uninspiring offer sheets of picket and dinucci?

Just one year of high school experience and even then a knee injury prevented him from playing his entire senior season. Tom's high school played one of the toughest schedules in the country and he threw 22 TDs and just one pick.

Can we let the kid get some weight room work in and some reps for a couple of seasons before we start judging whether he'll be a player or not for the program.

This board can be amazing. Ten years ago it was "You win with redshirt juniors and seniors on the line of scrimmage" to now if a linemen isn't winning the Outland Trophy as a true freshman then his career might be better off spent at IUP.
im really getting annoyed at a lot of pitt fans on this board giving up on these players in their redshirt freshmen years. I'd say it's comical but it's not, its just plain annoying. I saw someone post something about Elias Reynolds and where is he? dude was in his first practice in his redshirt freshman year and someone posts about how they are disappointed about him not being on two deep. a few posts after the depth chart was released and PUgh wasn't on it and people on this board said how he is a bust. guy literally hasn't even taken a snap at his new position yet and some fans were saying how he is under performing.

The more I read some of these posts, the more I think @ksquared33 is right with his valuing upper classmen.

tmac to Delaware?

i like not seeing all these freshmen in the 2 deep that means were building and older, stronger, wiser football program. WR is the only place you should start freshman regularly.

Doesn't MacVittie run a 4.4 40?
Yes. Hand timed.

When you read posts by fans of any school talking about multiple guys on the team running 4.3's or 4.4's rest assured they are fan boy morons who don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground.

I mean PSU fans seem to be convinced they have a dozen or so guys who run 4.3's or 4.4's. A really good player like Barkley is pretty fast but is actually around a 4.5 guy.

im really getting annoyed at a lot of pitt fans on this board giving up on these players in their redshirt freshmen years. I'd say it's comical but it's not, its just plain annoying. I saw someone post something about Elias Reynolds and where is he? dude was in his first practice in his redshirt freshman year and someone posts about how they are disappointed about him not being on two deep. a few posts after the depth chart was released and PUgh wasn't on it and people on this board said how he is a bust. guy literally hasn't even taken a snap at his new position yet and some fans were saying how he is under performing.

The more I read some of these posts, the more I think @ksquared33 is right with his valuing upper classmen.
Swervin, you are spot on. The under-appreciation of player development needs of 18 year olds is staggering. Some people think that 'player development' is something that only 2-star guys need, and that stud recruits will be ready to dominate as freshman.
Since the EARLY expectations of McV were so irrationally high, the level of disappointment, and the willingness to write him off so early, is not surprisingly, irrationally high.

Would love to see a young QB at last wow the coaches, win the reins, and lead us for 3 seasons.

It hasn't been possible in a long time, and the annual rotating door of the games top position is one of many reasons fans are not typically excited by new season prospects year to year (having to break in someone new, a transfer who hadn't worked out somewhere else, who likely will need most of the season just to figure the system, and in cases like Savage or Browne, even if it works well, he will be gone).

I am irked by it too ... And then I remember ... Tino. HE played three years. The claim then was that one ... two ... three different HC couldn't find ANYONE who could wrest the job from him...

... And it makes me more thankful the transfer rule is there now, and we could get someone with a pedigree, even if his prospects are not exactly inspiring.

ULTRA LIGHTENING BLITZBURGH FAST TEAM RAH RAH RAH FAST!

Sorry. Channeling my inner-Steel Curtain.

Reactions: Jpripper88

Completely agree. And most of Duzz's money was made on his player development at MSU, because he wasn't exactly targeting/landing 4/5 star guys. These kids need time to develop as they aren't top flight recruits.

I mean PSU fans seem to be convinced they have a dozen or so guys who run 4.3's or 4.4's. A really good player like Barkley is pretty fast but is actually around a 4.5 guy.

Lamont Wade grew 4 inches and ran a 4.3 40 just minutes after setting foot on PSUs campus!! its amazing, must be something in the water.... or the Lasch building showers.

tmac to Delaware?

i like not seeing all these freshmen in the 2 deep that means were building and older, stronger, wiser football program. WR is the only place you should start freshman regularly.

Robert Foster comes to mind... half kidding.

By the way, there are several clips from the first few days of camp of our QBs throwing passes in quick rotations.

What I've read is exactly what you see consistently in these clips: that Pickett throws the best ball, with the tightest spiral, and is the most accurate, with this throws right on target. Receivers are hit in stride, with the ball out in front where their hands are.

The other QBs throws are OK, but are not as consistent. On their throws, receivers often have to reach back, turn their bodies, slow up a bit, to make the catch. Not by a lot, but there is a notable difference between their throws and Pickett's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT