ADVERTISEMENT

Madden giving Pitt the business

he still licks Tom Bradleys' bag...

Nah, he is not one of those Bradleybots. Yinz are right, he certainly does not care about college sports, but he has always been a Pitt fan and hates Penn State fans.

I think he is like alot of us, frustrated and a bit pissed.

Reactions: Pittx9
Walt's second half of 2001 season, the 2002 and 2003 seasons were better than Wanny's last 3 years. Much, much tougher conference and schedule.

I have said this, Wanny was the perfect coach for this program. He loved Pitt. He sold Pitt. He recruited well at Pitt. Just he couldn't coach. If he would have done what I said, be the frontman and closer in recruiting, the CEO, and hire 2 really good coordinators and staff, and let them coach and X and O, Pitt would be a really solid program. But he didn't,.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Walt's second half of 2001 season, the 2002 and 2003 seasons were better than Wanny's last 3 years. Much, much tougher conference and schedule.

I have said this, Wanny was the perfect coach for this program. He loved Pitt. He sold Pitt. He recruited well at Pitt. Just he couldn't coach. If he would have done what I said, be the frontman and closer in recruiting, the CEO, and hire 2 really good coordinators and staff, and let them coach and X and O, Pitt would be a really solid program. But he didn't,.

He did have a decent staff....Gattuso, Wise, Bennett, Cignetti, Hafley. Not a bad line-up. Team just feeds off the head coach. In 2009 when he said the WVU game really didn't matter (in so many words, can't remember exact phrase), the team took it to heart and lost. In 2010 at UCONN when a win was needed to clinch the bowl, he was wound up tighter than a drum and the team played on that and lost.

Bobby Bowden was the only one who really was able to pull off the whole coach as CEO angle. Most of these guys will never give up that kind of control.

And one last Wanny thought, I agree with your assessment on Walt, but both had their chances for breakout seasons. Walt in 2003, Wanny in 2009. Both failed miserably. How anyone can be satisfied with a 3rd place finish in the worst BCS conference and an appearance in the tire is beyond me. But we had 10 wins.....yeah right.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
He did have a decent staff....Gattuso, Wise, Bennett, Cignetti, Hafley. Not a bad line-up. Team just feeds off the head coach. In 2009 when he said the WVU game really didn't matter (in so many words, can't remember exact phrase), the team took it to heart and lost. In 2010 at UCONN when a win was needed to clinch the bowl, he was wound up tighter than a drum and the team played on that and lost.

Bobby Bowden was the only one who really was able to pull off the whole coach as CEO angle. Most of these guys will never give up that kind of control.

And one last Wanny thought, I agree with your assessment on Walt, but both had their chances for breakout seasons. Walt in 2003, Wanny in 2009. Both failed miserably. How anyone can be satisfied with a 3rd place finish in the worst BCS conference and an appearance in the tire is beyond me. But we had 10 wins.....yeah right.
2009 we lost 3 games by a combined 11 points. That team was very close to and deserving of a BCS Bowl.

2009 we lost 3 games by a combined 11 points. That team was very close to and deserving of a BCS Bowl.

yeah it was all set up for 2009. Very easy schedule, lots of seniors. Really could have run the table that year.

I think I posted before but losing to WVU in 2009 has been worse for our program than 13-9 was for WVU. At least in terms of looking at the total record, coaching turnover, etc.

Do you also advocate Pitt paying Jamie Dixon his full buyout, instead of having TCU have to pay a buyout to sign him? Because those two situations are almost exactly the same.

Pitt may be cheap (OK, there isn't much maybe about it) but paying a coach who left you for the equivalent job at another school isn't a sign that you aren't cheap, it's a sign that you are batshit crazy. No one, literally no one, would have paid Harris in that situation.

Sure they would. It happens all the time.

I'll tell you what is batshit crazy... Those ridiculous contracts & buyouts that Pitt gave Jamie and Peterson at a time when they really weren't doing a helluva lot and didn't have many options to make a move that would be any better for them financially.

I'll tell you what is batshit crazy... Those ridiculous contracts & buyouts that Pitt gave Jamie and Peterson at a time when they really weren't doing a helluva lot and didn't have many options to make a move that would be any better for them financially.

Shhhhh, the truth will drive these sheep batty

If you think that paying a coach his buyout happens all the time when that coach leaves on his own accord to take an equivalent position at another school then this conversation is over. Because you can't argue with someone who won't acknowledge facts.

No one, literally no one, would have paid Harris off in that situation. I think the proof that you actually do understand that is that you didn't answer the question about Jamie Dixon. So I'll ask again. Should Pitt have paid Dixon the full buyout in his contract when he left for TCU? Because that is exactly what you are proposing with Harris.

If you think that paying a coach his buyout happens all the time when that coach leaves on his own accord to take an equivalent position at another school then this conversation is over. Because you can't argue with someone who won't acknowledge facts.

No one, literally no one, would have paid Harris off in that situation. I think the proof that you actually do understand that is that you didn't answer the question about Jamie Dixon. So I'll ask again. Should Pitt have paid Dixon the full buyout in his contract when he left for TCU? Because that is exactly what you are proposing with Harris.

First off, are you saying Walt Harris had the choice of coming back for 2005? Let's tackle that one first.

Reactions: TD_istheman

What was Steve's buyout?

Dixon's buyout was to match what USC offered him.
When your coach is desired ,you have to pay him.

We extended Narduzzi at the end of his first season ..and don't be shocked if we do it again.

Nobody wanted wannstedt.

First off, are you saying Walt Harris had the choice of coming back for 2005? Let's tackle that one first.

What difference does that make? Harris had a contract and he left of his own volition for a similar job elsewhere. Jamie Dixon had a contract and he left of his own volition for a similar job elsewhere. So do you advocate that Pitt should have paid Dixon however many millions of dollars his buyout was, or are you logically inconsistent?

Just out of curiosity, do you think Vanderbilt paid Kevin Stallings his buyout when he left for Pitt? Because that was the same situation as well.

1. It makes a huge difference. If he does not have the choice of coming back, then he isn't leaving out of his own volition.

2. I don't care how Vandy conducts business. It's Vanderbilt. 'nuff said.

One would think a coach should always do what you say Owt LOL.

I think the second half of 2001 & 2002, along with 2008 & 2009 are the highs of Pitt football since the 80s. Those teams, unlike the 2003 team, were tough upfront in the trenches.

The 03 team was often dominated upfront. They logged 3 or 4 really bad losses that year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT