ADVERTISEMENT

Making the playoff

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Don’t remember the thread it was in, but I can’t believe some posters said they’d rather win out and win the Peach Bowl than win out and lose convincingly in the playoff!

how many northern schools outside of tOSU have made the playoff? If we did it we’d certainly be first before WVU and PSU, if not all the rest too. A football final four would be so profoundly incredible for this program.

I would argue that a loss vs Georgia or Alabama wouldn’t be any worse than our loss vs Clemson in the ACC title game. Would a 55-21 loss to Alabama matter? Heck no. The fact is we were there and that title game appearance can’t be taken away from us. And that appearance contributed to the roster we have today. What would an appearance in the playoff do for recruiting vs a meaningless NYD bowl game?

Im shocked any Pitt fan would prefer peaches over playoffs.

I don't care about a Peach Bowl or whatever at large bowl they might get in. It's irrelevant. Pitt getting into a Final 4 playoff would mean significantly more than any bowl game. That should be Pitt's goal right now....winning out and getting into the playoffs. Anything else is just noise.

Last edited:
Don't think anybody would pass at a chance at a playoff, I'm just assuming they think we won't make it.

I don't care about a Peach Bowl of whatever at large bowl they might get in. It's irrelevant. Pitt getting into a Final 4 playoff would mean significantly more than any bowl game. That should be Pitt's goal right now....winning out and getting into the playoffs. Anything else is just noise.
Bowls are irrelevant.

Don't think anybody would pass at a chance at a playoff, I'm just assuming they think we won't make it.
No. They actually don’t want the playoff if it meant a blowout loss and they gave their reasons. The posts are within theses pages. I’m not interested in digging them up and calling anyone out. I just find it baffling that anyone would say that.

Reactions: WeaverIsComing
Don’t remember the thread it was in, but I can’t believe some posters said they’d rather win out and win the Peach Bowl than win out and lose convincingly in the playoff!

how many northern schools outside of tOSU have made the playoff? If we did it we’d certainly be first before WVU and PSU, if not all the rest too. A football final four would be so profoundly incredible for this program.

I would argue that a loss vs Georgia or Alabama wouldn’t be any worse than our loss vs Clemson in the ACC title game. Would a 55-21 loss to Alabama matter? Heck no. The fact is we were there and that title game appearance can’t be taken away from us. And that appearance contributed to the roster we have today. What would an appearance in the playoff do for recruiting vs a meaningless NYD bowl game?

I would rather lose 70-0 in the CFP than win the Peach Bowl 70-0.

Bowls are irrelevant.

Bowls, I suppose, are fun for some of the fans of the teams that are playing in them. And maybe the players and coaches and parents of the players. Most fans don't care unless their team is playing in the playoffs now.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I'm all for expanding the # of teams in the playoff now, would have been really interesting for Pitt if it was 8 this season.
Never underestimate what having a top notch QB does for a team.

Who are you referring to?

Who are you referring to?
Honestly I don’t remember. But as I recall there were a few. Again, I’m not interested in who they were specifically. I just can’t believe people feel that way.

one person said that it’s because the local media will use a playoff blowout loss as a vehicle to rip Pitt for being there in the first place. I just don’t understand that logic. As SMF said above, I’d take a 70-0 playoff loss over anything else. But as long as we are healthy, I don’t think that would ever happen anyway. We would score points.

reminds me of another thread where someone said we’d get killed by everyone in the top 10. In fairness to that person, and I do actually remember who that was, he said it after the GT game, which at the time we didn’t know as much about this team.

Honestly I don’t remember. But as I recall there were a few. Again, I’m not interested in who they were specifically. I just can’t believe people feel that way.

one person said that it’s because the local media will use a playoff blowout loss as a vehicle to rip Pitt for being there in the first place. I just don’t understand that logic. As SMF said above, I’d take a 70-0 playoff loss over anything else. But as long as we are healthy, I don’t think that would ever happen anyway. We would score points.

reminds me of another thread where someone said we’d get killed by everyone in the top 10. In fairness to that person, and I do actually remember who that was, he said it after the GT game, which at the time we didn’t know as much about this team.

The thing is, even if we got absolutely destroyed in the CFP, the national and local build-up to that game would be worth it in and of itself. The thought that "we are 2 wins away from a NC" would be incredible even if it was very unlikely. The Peach Bowl is the worst of the NY6 games by history and very few Yinzers would even realize its a NY6 game. I'd be way more excited about the Orange Bowl but even then, I would substitute any OB victory over any CFP loss.

Reactions: Pitt79 and Fk_Pitt
The thing is, even if we got absolutely destroyed in the CFP, the national and local build-up to that game would be worth it in and of itself. The thought that "we are 2 wins away from a NC" would be incredible even if it was very unlikely. The Peach Bowl is the worst of the NY6 games by history and very few Yinzers would even realize its a NY6 game. I'd be way more excited about the Orange Bowl but even then, I would substitute any OB victory over any CFP loss.
They equity the program would build up from that could change our program. Not saying it would…but it could.

A peach bowl would do nothing.

As a fan, I would travel to a playoff bowl. Would be tempted for a NY6 bowl, but just not the allure that a legit playoff game would have even if they were +7-10 dogs and lose by 20-30.

2015 - Michigan State made the playoffs and got throttled 38-0. The next season they went 3-9. A few years later Dantonio retired.

We simply aren’t at a Georgia/Alabama level. I’d rather beat ND in a big bowl, finish Top 5, and keep the recruiting momentum and fan excitement going into next year.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
2015 - Michigan State made the playoffs and got throttled 38-0. The next season they went 3-9. A few years later Dantonio retired.

We simply aren’t at a Georgia/Alabama level. I’d rather beat ND in a big bowl, finish Top 5, and keep the recruiting momentum and fan excitement going into next year.
And they are now 7-0 with seniors from the subsequent classes recruited after that appearance. Washington also got throttled, though was top 25 coming in this year. There is no guarantee of winning a lesser NY6 bowl either and always a chance to win a playoff game and advance. If a recruit truly wants to win, then you need to show them you can actually have a chance at making it to the playoff. A playoff appearance would be something PSU could not touch, something that could not be negatively recruited against. Franklin - Yeah pitt made the playoff but got destroyed. Player - but coach, when did PSU make the playoff? Franklin - well we made NY6 bowls..

I think a lot of the talk of Pitt can't run the table, or will get destroyed are excuses for not wanting to get emotionally invested in the team. Understandable given history, but this is not the same team as previous years metric wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fk_Pitt

I'd always rather GO THE FARTHEST POSSIBLE and lose, than not go at all. It's like people who say, they'd rather the Steelers not go to the Super Bowl, than go and lose- at the very least, you get your Steelers-centric Super Bowl Party. Or going 0-16 is better than losing the AFC Championship Game- for the draft pick, LOL :)

Why don't you sit this thread out because you're certain that Pitt is losing Saturday.

Always go as far as possible, I was happy Pitt made that ACC Championship game, getting crushed by Clemson didn't make we wish we didn't go, and the end of season win streak leading up to the BCS Bowl thrashing by Utah in 2004 was well worth it. Just get there and see what happens.

Its just not that clear cut.

A lot of us thought that winning the Coastal with maybe 9 wins was the absolute ceiling for this team. Maybe that's what you're thinking about? I personally haven't really thought about the CFP because Pitt has a long way to go to have that discussion. Of course I would want Pitt in the playoff. Not sure who you're talking to but you might consider calling them out by name.

A lot of us thought that winning the Coastal with maybe 9 wins was the absolute ceiling for this team. Maybe that's what you're thinking about? I personally haven't really thought about the CFP because Pitt has a long way to go to have that discussion. Of course I would want Pitt in the playoff. Not sure who you're talking to but you might consider calling them out by name.
No I’m not calling anyone out. That’s silly to me. And I don’t remember who said it. They are entitled to their opinion. But it was in a thread that was created since Sunday because everyone was riding high with things after the Clemson game. It was a direct discussion about the peach bowl and the playoff. A search using peach would probably find the thread. I honestly don’t care who specifically said it. It’s just surprising that people feel that way. Heck, one person said it in this thread.

No I’m not calling anyone out. That’s silly to me. And I don’t remember who said it. They are entitled to their opinion. But it was in a thread that was created since Sunday because everyone was riding high with things after the Clemson game. It was a direct discussion about the peach bowl and the playoff. A search using peach would probably find the thread. I honestly don’t care who specifically said it. It’s just surprising that people feel that way. Heck, one person said it in this thread.
Yeah, I see what you mean. Don't really get that logic unless it's just standing firm on the belief that Pitt can't ever make it to the CFP because the gods of college football wouldn't allow it. I never understood that logic either. I guess some people refuse to believe that Pitt can actually elevate the program.

And they are now 7-0 with seniors from the subsequent classes recruited after that appearance. Washington also got throttled, though was top 25 coming in this year. There is no guarantee of winning a lesser NY6 bowl either and always a chance to win a playoff game and advance. If a recruit truly wants to win, then you need to show them you can actually have a chance at making it to the playoff. A playoff appearance would be something PSU could not touch, something that could not be negatively recruited against. Franklin - Yeah pitt made the playoff but got destroyed. Player - but coach, when did PSU make the playoff? Franklin - well we made NY6 bowls..

I think a lot of the talk of Pitt can't run the table, or will get destroyed are excuses for not wanting to get emotionally invested in the team. Understandable given history, but this is not the same team as previous years metric wise.
I have been emotionally invested in this program for 35+ years and it definitely isn’t slowing down now. I will be at the bowl game as well cheering my a## off like I always do. A question was asked and I gave my response.

I agree. BUT.....I am not going to act disappointed and jilted if in fact we go 12-1 and win the ACC and Peach Bowl and am not invited to the playoffs, I think you can't hardly ask for a better season and one to build a brand on.

Reactions: pittdan77
I agree. BUT.....I am not going to act disappointed and jilted if in fact we go 12-1 and win the ACC and Peach Bowl and am not invited to the playoffs, I think you can't hardly ask for a better season and one to build a brand on.
It would be kind of cool to be in a position to be one of those fan bases screaming how we got screwed over.

I always laugh at those people, saying that they shouldn’t have lost that one game. Now we can be those people and others can say “you shouldn’t have lost to WMU.”

It would be kind of cool to be in a position to be one of those fan bases screaming how we got screwed over.

I always laugh at those people, saying that they shouldn’t have lost that one game. Now we can be those people and others can say “you shouldn’t have lost to WMU.”
Realistically, I think Pitt is going to be facing an uphill battle. Fairly safe to assume that at least four conferences will have a champ with one loss or less. Possibly all five. Then there's ND. Imagine a scenario where the Pac12 champ has two losses and it comes down to Cincy, ND, and Pitt for the last spot. This board would suddenly care a lot.

even if pitt won national title Ron cook’s first 6 paragraphs of column would be about past pitt teams disappointing and about how Larry had a bad game down the stretch in 03 and didn’t deserve heisman in his eyes. Clown status.

I agree. Also titles matter, both conference and national. And as far as I am concerned, this would be the FIRST real conference title in school history!

I don't care about a Peach Bowl or whatever at large bowl they might get in. It's irrelevant. Pitt getting into a Final 4 playoff would mean significantly more than any bowl game. That should be Pitt's goal right now....winning out and getting into the playoffs. Anything else is just noise.
It's asinine to say that making a NY6 Bowl Game is irrelevant. Honestly, some of our fan base is ridiculous.

I want to see Pitt go to the CFP if they can compete. I don't care to go if they can't.

Somebody posted something in here last week about this Pitt team being a college Rorschach test, and I think that is spot on.

If Pitt can win out & curb-stomp almost every opponent the rest of the way, hell yeah, I'd like to go. This is not really something outside the realm of possibility either.

I agree. Also titles matter, both conference and national. And as far as I am concerned, this would be the FIRST real conference title in school history!
Not only that, but don’t forget the Lambert trophy. When was the last time we won that? ;).

It's asinine to say that making a NY6 Bowl Game is irrelevant. Honestly, some of our fan base is ridiculous.
I wouldn’t say ridiculous. But the bump would be minimal. They’re exhibitions.

I want to see Pitt go to the CFP if they can compete. I don't care to go if they can't.

Somebody posted something in here last week about this Pitt team being a college Rorschach test, and I think that is spot on.

If Pitt can win out & curb-stomp almost every opponent the rest of the way, hell yeah, I'd like to go. This is not really something outside the realm of possibility either.
We scored 27 on Clemson. Georgia scored 13....with their starting QB. I am saying there isn't a really great team, though tOSU is really coming on, but then again they haven't played anyone yet but Oregon and Oregon beat them.

Georgia's really good....I think. But their schedule is not that daunting, sorry. The SEC is down this year, they played Auburn in one of their crossovers, but PSU beat Auburn. Arkansas? meh. Florida is down. Alabama? Sure...but again their schedule is not as daunting either. Will be real interesting at Auburn. I have a feeling it comes down to Alabama and Georgia, and Alabama beat Georgia and there ya go, two SEC teams in the CFP in a down year. If Georgia beats Alabama, they aren't getting in, nor do they deserve to.

Oklahoma actually struggled with two of the very worst D1 teams in Tulane and Kansas. They struggled to beat Nebraska and WVU. They rebounded after being down big to Texas, which has no spine nor soul. They do finish with 3 ranked teams, including 2 on the road. Oklahoma is not that good this year. If Oklahoma was named Wake Forest, they would be ranked where Wake Forest is this year.

The Big Ten teams? It will all work itself out right over this next month.

Oregon? Unfortunately the Pac 12 is as bad, if not worse, as the ACC. So....who knows, but they beat Ohio State AT Columbus.

My point here, unlike many years, I am not sure there is a really great team let alone 2 like there are most years.

Reactions: Chad40301
I would rather make the playoff, but given the scenario above... I'll take the Peach Bowl and claim we should have made the playoff.

Of course the playoff is preferred, but let's not downplay the significance of an ACC title and birth in a NY6 bowl game. It's a big deal and certainly NOT irrelevant.

I would rather make the playoff, but given the scenario above... I'll take the Peach Bowl and claim we should have made the playoff.

Of course the playoff is preferred, but let's not downplay the significance of an ACC title and birth in a NY6 bowl game. It's a big deal and certainly NOT irrelevant.
The ACC championship is certainly relevant. The bowl…not so much. Just my opinion…which isn’t worth much.

Screw it, Pitt having a magical season. Pitt win's out give me the playoff or give me death! Georgia's offense is average and I don't know if their secondary is elite. What I do know though is that front seven is scary. I think Pitt would be able to do enough to keep it interesting compared to other 1-4 matchups.'
'
If Pitt were to play a NY6 bowl, give me a big time program like Michigan which would be a fun game. Last thing I want is to play is a G5 school.

I wouldn’t say ridiculous. But the bump would be minimal. They’re exhibitions.
They always have been. You talk about getting a worthwhile bump from getting beat down in the ACC Championship game but dismiss making a NY6 Bowl as opposed to say the Tire Bowl or the Compass Bowl or what ever other shitty Bowls Pitt has been relegated to seemingly forever. It seems inconsistent to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT