ADVERTISEMENT

Mama bear says not tonight for reid

this isn't saying much, but he'd dismantle Max and Max has the size for P5 hoops. He would legit destroy him. This kid can ball. He's the #1 kid in the class and your take is he isn't P5 ready? lol what?
Unfortunately college basketball isn't a one on one game.

Everywhere? He’s a 7 foot athletic stud. If Gonzaga uses him as a stretch 5 then traditional 5’s won’t be able to play

I’m not saying he is this caliber of player, but he has the exact same height and build of Kevin Durant at Texas
But Durant couldn’t bench press hence won’t succeed in basketball

That kid is a couple thousand bacon dozen double cheeseburgers and a year or two of living in the weight room from being anywhere near ready to step in and play an effective center in a P5 league.

I know he has a lot of skill talent, but have you seen his physique? 7' and 190 #s. It's almost hard to even look at him. he makes a young Shawn Bradley look like Shaq Diesel physically.

9009128.jpg

I've only seen a few minutes of him but he has a very good handle and great shooting for a 7'. He's the #1 recruit in the class so programs don't seem to be as bearish on his physique as you. It's not like he has to guard Embiid every night.

I don't know what OSU's scholarship situation is but they may not be able to take 2 bigs. Or Reid may not want to go to a program with the best player in the country that will be used in somewhat similar ways as him. I was just pointing out that this could be a game of tic-tac-toe where Holmgren could block Reid from OSU.

His mom is engaged and involved and looks to be running some interference for him which are not negative things
It depends on ones take I suppose.
1. Why would a player being recruited need interference? Particularly in this case, his style to keep quiet and look over his options works very well.
2. Many mothers are greatly engaged without going public.
3. "Momma Bear" ? What positive connotations does one receive from such a moniker?

In fairness, Durant was 6'9 and 205 coming out of HS. He was thin but this guy is grotesquely so--and Holmgren is not the explosively quick athlete coming out of HS that KD was.

I'm not disputing his talent, I just think he will need to get bigger and stronger. Gonzaga would be the best choice for him, they play in a far less physical league than his other choices.

I'm not sure why this is a controversial take on him. If you watch his IMG game- he really was a non-factor against college talent. I'm not saying it was a close match-up but an "unicorn" should at least carry his team in tough high school games (like a Lebron did). The #1 ranking in this class is dubious imo. In a P5 conference, I could see his body breaking down quickly.

I have buddy who refs up that way. He always said Suggs was stud every time he was on the court. He doesn't say the same about Chet- just that he's a really weird match up for both teams.

Reactions: Crappy Davenpot
I'm not sure why this is a controversial take on him. If you watch his IMG game- he really was a non-factor against college talent. I'm not saying it was a close match-up but an "unicorn" should at least carry his team in tough high school games (like a Lebron did). The #1 ranking in this class is dubious imo. In a P5 conference, I could see his body breaking down quickly.

I have buddy who refs up that way. He always said Suggs was stud every time he was on the court. He doesn't say the same about Chet- just that he's a really weird match up for both teams.

A big part of the hype is so many scouts have described him as a generational talent and one of the best high school players they’ve ever seen. There must be something there, nearly every 2022 mock draft has him going #1 overall.

Last edited:
I've only seen a few minutes of him but he has a very good handle and great shooting for a 7'. He's the #1 recruit in the class so programs don't seem to be as bearish on his physique as you. It's not like he has to guard Embiid every night.

I don't know what OSU's scholarship situation is but they may not be able to take 2 bigs. Or Reid may not want to go to a program with the best player in the country that will be used in somewhat similar ways as him. I was just pointing out that this could be a game of tic-tac-toe where Holmgren could block Reid from OSU.
He’s a 7-1 big man than can dribble. Shoot at a 40 percent clip on the three and is physical enough to beat anyone down low. He’s a game changer and Gonzaga will go undefeated again in regular season.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
He’s a 7-1 big man than can dribble. Shoot at a 40 percent clip on the three and is physical enough to beat anyone down low. He’s a game changer and Gonzaga will go undefeated again in regular season.

Because of the pencil who could only score 13 verses IMG? Good lord.

“Physical enough to beat anybody down low”? Maybe in high school. Most of the 6’’0 guards he’ll play against at the next level outweigh him. He’s a 7 footer with advanced offensive skills. I get it. But he’s a stick figure and 7 footers don’t do well handling the ball on the perimeter-becomes their dribble is too exposed. Defensively he will have to play the 5-amd he will get pushed around. Imagine him trying to lean on a Hunter Dickinson, Kofi Cockburn, Trevion Williams etc. Those guys outweigh him literally by 100 pounds. We’ll see how it all translates soon enough.

Reactions: Gregory25
A big part of the hype is so many scouts have described him as a generational talent and one of the best high school players they’ve ever seen. There must be something there, nearly every 2022 mock draft has him going #1 overall.
You know if he wanted he could go straight to the G league right now, right?

The top HS prospect from last year did it. Next year’s top prospect is almost certainly going to do it as well.

That option is available to this guy. Why isn’t he doing it too?

You know if he wanted he could go straight to the G league right now, right?

The top HS prospect from last year did it. Next year’s top prospect is almost certainly going to do it as well.

That option is available to this guy. Why isn’t he doing it too?

No clue, not sure if any guys projected nearly as high as he is have taken that route. I mean if he has even a decent season and shows any sort of progress at Gonzaga he is likely to be the #1 overall pick in 2022.

No clue, not sure if any guys projected nearly as high as he is have taken that route. I mean if he has even a decent season and shows any sort of progress at Gonzaga he is likely to be the #1 overall pick in 2022.

... if the Browns have the pick.

“Physical enough to beat anybody down low”? Maybe in high school. Most of the 6’’0 guards he’ll play against at the next level outweigh him. He’s a 7 footer with advanced offensive skills. I get it. But he’s a stick figure and 7 footers don’t do well handling the ball on the perimeter-becomes their dribble is too exposed. Defensively he will have to play the 5-amd he will get pushed around. Imagine him trying to lean on a Hunter Dickinson, Kofi Cockburn, Trevion Williams etc. Those guys outweigh him literally by 100 pounds. We’ll see how it all translates soon enough.
I dont get why people are downplaying the #1 overall recruit? He may not be Zion dominant but the kid is obviously going to be one of the best players in college basketball next season

I dont get why people are downplaying the #1 overall recruit? He may not be Zion dominant but the kid is obviously going to be one of the best players in college basketball next season
"obviously going to be one of the best players in college basketball next season"

I don't think that's so obvious. He may be the top, or one of the top NBA prospects by the end of next year, but that’s very different than being one of the best players in college basketball. For example, Steven Adams wasn’t even one of the top players on his own team, but he was a top NBA prospect from Day 1.

I could certainly be proven wrong but I don’t believe this 190 pound beanpole will be physically ready to come into a major program and be “the man”. Again, that weak ass league Zaga plays in will be a lot kinder to him than any of the P5 leagues he was considering,, but he will have to play the big boys out of conference as well.

Reactions: TD_6082
Jalen Geeen last year. Emoni Bates next year.

Bates has been the top HS prospect in the country regardless of class since his freshman year.

The reason Holmgren isn’t going to the G league and making 500k to ready his game for the NBA is he’s not physically ready for it and would get eaten alive.

Last edited:
"obviously going to be one of the best players in college basketball next season"

I don't think that's so obvious. He may be the top, or one of the top NBA prospects by the end of next year, but that’s very different than being one of the best players in college basketball. For example, Steven Adams wasn’t even one of the top players on his own team, but he was a top NBA prospect from Day 1.

I could certainly be proven wrong but I don’t believe this 190 pound beanpole will be physically ready to come into a major program and be “the man”. Again, that weak ass league Zaga plays in will be a lot kinder to him than any of the P5 leagues he was considering,, but he will have to play the big boys out of conference as well.
Adams was maybe the 20th ranked player coming out. Chet is #1. Big difference. He will average 17 and 8.

Man this thread really got ambushed by Chet friggin Holmgren...i keep hoping to see new info on Efton Reid.

Man this thread really got ambushed by Chet friggin Holmgren...i keep hoping to see new info on Efton Reid.

I'm sorry. This is my fault - was just trying to give us some reason for hope. I thought Holmgren might go to OSU and block Reid. That didn't happen. Now Reid is also talking to UNC? It's over.

no good call...i forgot that's how this started. I think you're wrong about UNC...no way Mama Bear has any type of relationship w. Hubert Davis like she does Jeff.

He will look good and the Zags will look good til they face a good team in the tourney and get punked.
Adams was maybe the 20th ranked player coming out. Chet is #1. Big difference. He will average 17 and 8.
By 20 do you mean 5? He was 5th.

Reactions: Parkview57
Holmgren with a 20-17-6-5 stat line against BYU last night. After struggling offensively somewhat earlier in the season he seems to be finding his stride.

Holmgren with a 20-17-6-5 stat line against BYU last night. After struggling offensively somewhat earlier in the season he seems to be finding his stride.
He has really stepped it up. He reminds me of Dirk.

He’s a really good player -
People are weird

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT