ADVERTISEMENT

Man, humor doesn’t exist anymore

Super Bowl ads in the 70s and 80s where funny organically, it wasn't really planned, since then they try to force it and expectations are too high and they're never that great, add in the political correctness you need to follow and it's hard to be too funny.

Who paid for the really PC Jesus ads? Those where interesting,

Actually I thought commercials were less obviously “trying too hard to be funny” last night… there were a few stinkers but it’s ok to just run ads that aren’t trying so hard.

Halftime was actually pretty decent… the roller skates were cool.

Reactions: CJsE
Actually I thought commercials were less obviously “trying too hard to be funny” last night… there were a few stinkers but it’s ok to just run ads that aren’t trying so hard.

I thought that was one of the worst halftime shows in years. Very week catalog of music and really the guest performers were the only thing that made it ok

Different strokes, I guess, but I thought that halftime show was awful and would have rather seen a dog catching a Frisbee or something.

Oh, I have no idea. A quick Google search tells me it's the dude who is the CEO for Hobby Lobby and then some other anonymous donors.
looks like some "He gets us" organization. i'll admit i know very little about them. weird ass commercial, christian guy washing a chick's foot before she goes to have an abortion lol, what the hell am i even watching here..

looks like some "He gets us" organization. i'll admit i know very little about them. weird ass commercial, christian guy washing a chick's foot before she goes to have an abortion lol, what the hell am i even watching here..

I think I recall foot washing being offered a certain times (maybe just one day/year or something) at the church I attended back in the day.

Obviously it was just symbolic, but can you imagine some old lady with hairy, veiny feet and gnarly toenails showing up? If I was the priest, I would be like, "Dude, I'm out. I'm going to work for the post office."

I think I recall foot washing being offered a certain times (maybe just one day/year or something) at the church I attended back in the day.

Obviously it was just symbolic, but can you imagine some old lady with hairy, veiny feet and gnarly toenails showing up? If I was the priest, I would be like, "Dude, I'm out. I'm going to work for the post office."
easter vigil, the night before easter. is like a 3 hour mass, or was back in the day. brutally long.

easter vigil, the night before easter. is like a 3 hour mass, or was back in the day. brutally long.

Man, we used to get in so much trouble at Easter mass. We were usually back in Johnstown at my grandparents' house, so we'd go with my aunt/cousins, etc. Old people would just randomly read their rosaries out loud before mass began, and some of their voices were straight out of this world. We couldn't stop cracking up until we were basically crying (while getting pinched/yelled at/stared down by our moms, haha). And then they'd hand everyone eggs on the way out, and obviously those were getting thrown at each other.

Most of those songs were #1 hits. Usher is one of the most successful R&B performers ever.
I finally heard those songs for the first time! Maybe someday I can hear a Taylor Swift song for the first time.

I finally heard those songs for the first time! Maybe someday I can hear a Taylor Swift song for the first time.
Everybody has their own music preference. To each their own.

My response was directed at the comment that the “catalog was very weak”. Somebody might not like Usher’s music, but when he has nine #1 hits it usually means his music appeals to the masses.

Everybody has their own music preference. To each their own.

My response was directed at the comment that the “catalog was very weak”. Somebody might not like Usher’s music, but when he has nine #1 hits it usually means his music appeals to the masses.
I agree, popularity among the masses was never a criteria that mattered to me. I'm not hating on their music, I just never heard it.

I agree, popularity among the masses was never a criteria that mattered to me. I'm not hating on their music, I just never heard it.

Usher's music isn't my style, but I thought the performance still sucked in spite of that.

Like, I don't listen to Snoop Dogg/Dr. Dre/Eminem, but I could still tell that was a good performance. Conversely, Bruce is my favorite artist by a mile, and I thought his performance was cheesy and the song selection was weak.

I really wish they'd stop trying to fit more into 13 minutes than Riley Reid... I mean, uh, than Joey Chestnut can fit into his mouth on the 4th of July.

0....the number of SB halftime shows I have ever seen...play the championship game like you play all others with normal halftime length....yes, "Get off my Porch"....

Well I thought the fact that Usher had Aaron Spears drumset out there as a tribute to his passing was a pretty decent move and Influenced my viewing.

Spears suddenly passed a few months back way too young. Having his setup out there was a great move

Most of those songs were #1 hits. Usher is one of the most successful R&B performers ever.

Yeah, just looked it up, he is actually 12th in R&B all time, and the #97 highest selling artist of any music, which is completely surprising to me, I didnt recognize any songs until the end. My wife also didnt, and we spent some time in dance clubs in our days and in our mid 40s now... so around his time I think.

Anyways, I thought it sucked as well. I mean, the guy was on far too much coke, he was sweating before the show even started, he was wildly and cringily groping Alicia Keys (who sounded great), the crowd wasnt into it at all. We had like 20 people at our house and when the what 50 some year old guy took his shirt off, all the younger women almost in unison skrieked EEEEEK .... like in a bad way. It was weird. People keep saying the roller skating thing was cool... first if that is what you thought was good, then the performance was mid... second, it was roller skating. That is all that needs said.

Yeah, wasnt a fan, but oh well, I usually dont even watch the halftime show usually. But it was good to see that I wasnt missing out on not listening to Usher before Sunday.

Reactions: Shomeydamonee
Yeah, just looked it up, he is actually 12th in R&B all time, and the #97 highest selling artist of any music, which is completely surprising to me, I didnt recognize any songs until the end. My wife also didnt, and we spent some time in dance clubs in our days and in our mid 40s now... so around his time I think.

Anyways, I thought it sucked as well. I mean, the guy was on far too much coke, he was sweating before the show even started, he was wildly and cringily groping Alicia Keys (who sounded great), the crowd wasnt into it at all. We had like 20 people at our house and when the what 50 some year old guy took his shirt off, all the younger women almost in unison skrieked EEEEEK .... like in a bad way. It was weird. People keep saying the roller skating thing was cool... first if that is what you thought was good, then the performance was mid... second, it was roller skating. That is all that needs said.

Yeah, wasnt a fan, but oh well, I usually dont even watch the halftime show usually. But it was good to see that I wasnt missing out on not listening to Usher before Sunday.
i watched the 2nd half at the local watering hole and man, i got to say it was opposite. mostly a younger crowd, some not so young people like myself and damned if the whole bar wasnt almost as engaged in the halftime show as the game itself.

Of course mostly the women. the guys were getting another beer or taking a piss, which is what guys do at halftime.

lets face it, these superbowl shows are meant to attract a demographic that normally doesnt watch football. the nfl and superbowl already have guys like us hooked, they dont need to spend money to get us to watch, they did that successfully in the early 80s when i was 6 years old.

When I was young, 50 years ago, we got our music from the same sources, the radio, so I think we heard more variety of music just by stumbling into it, today, I think there's more choice, you go to Spotify or something and pick a genre and it's like talk radio, you usually just listen to what you already like and agree with and you can go to the next song if you don't like the first 5 seconds of a song, on the radio you just had to listen to what was playing, and who knows, after a minute you might realize the first 5 seconds where boring but overall this is a great song. .

i watched the 2nd half at the local watering hole and man, i got to say it was opposite. mostly a younger crowd, some not so young people like myself and damned if the whole bar wasnt almost as engaged in the halftime show as the game itself.

Of course mostly the women. the guys were getting another beer or taking a piss, which is what guys do at halftime.

lets face it, these superbowl shows are meant to attract a demographic that normally doesnt watch football. the nfl and superbowl already have guys like us hooked, they dont need to spend money to get us to watch, they did that successfully in the early 80s when i was 6 years old.
I mean, dont get me wrong, my daughter and her friends would also be appalled if Eddie Vedder was on stage taking his shirt off. I just think there arent any teens-20 year old women that would be impressed with Usher taking his shirt off at the superbowl. It was a weird, narcissist moment probably spurred by coke.

I really dont think the halftime show is to attract a different demographic, I think it is just for the women who watch anyways. It used to be for the commercials, but they just release them all on YouTube now, so you dont even have to watch the game.

By the way, the Michael Cera and Christopher Walken ads were both funny, I would say even very funny.

I mean, dont get me wrong, my daughter and her friends would also be appalled if Eddie Vedder was on stage taking his shirt off. I just think there arent any teens-20 year old women that would be impressed with Usher taking his shirt off at the superbowl. It was a weird, narcissist moment probably spurred by coke.

I really dont think the halftime show is to attract a different demographic, I think it is just for the women who watch anyways. It used to be for the commercials, but they just release them all on YouTube now, so you dont even have to watch the game.

By the way, the Michael Cera and Christopher Walken ads were both funny, I would say even very funny.
Well that is what i was referring too, the female, especially the younger female demographic and well maybe very younger guys who arent zombies like us every sunday, who give 7 hours to watch endless football..

so we kind of are saying the same thing, shows meant to attract the non-nfl fans that are already hooked to their product with zero chance of ever quitting watching.

Well that is what i was referring too, the female, especially the younger female demographic and well maybe very younger guys who arent zombies like us every sunday, who give 7 hours to watch endless football..

so we kind of are saying the same thing, shows meant to attract the non-nfl fans that are already hooked to their product with zero chance of ever quitting watching.

I would think some of the girls (I mean teens) that watched absolutely only to see Taylor Swift will occasionally watch in the future. Even my son's gf, who said she never attended or watched any sporting event watched with us cause she is a taylor swift fan, and she literally said in overtime how exciting it is and how she never knew watching football could be fun

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT