ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Carr

poconopanther

Redshirt
Jul 5, 2001
is getting it done with Minnesota. Yesterday against Michigan 21 points, 12 assists , five boards and zero turnovers. Had 27 points earlier against Purdue and on season is averaging 16/points , eight assists and five boards per game. Two more years after this of eligibility as well.

Not an ACC-level player

In seriousness, he appears to be significantly better than Xavier Johnson.

I am happy as heck Stallings is gone but it makes me wonder how this starting lineup would have done this year

Carr
Stewart
SF needed
Golden (who is starting for a FF caliber team)
Brown

Last edited:
Not an ACC-level player

I am happy as heck Stallings is gone but it makes me wonder how this starting lineup would have done this year

Carr
Stewart
SF needed
Brown
About the same as now.

Reactions: jctrack
Not an ACC-level player

Carr
Stewart
SF needed
Brown
With Stallings on the bench. 2-18

Reactions: jpklein
Not that it matters, but what were the circumstances surrounding Carr's leaving? I can't remember. Maybe I tried to black out everything from those dark days of Pitt BB. Thanks in advance.

Not that it matters, but what were the circumstances surrounding Carr's leaving? I can't remember. Maybe I tried to black out everything from those dark days of Pitt BB. Thanks in advance.

I don't believe it was really reported. Seemed like just a "coach left, I'm gone" situation. I remember he and Stewart were practicing with Capel while taking visits. Disappointing they didn't click with Capel but had they stayed, we may not have gotten Johnson and McGowens.

Yeah from a guard perspective I think we traded up with Carr/Stewart to X/McGowens/Toney. Not sure we get any of them if either or both of them stay.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
is getting it done with Minnesota. Yesterday against Michigan 21 points, 12 assists , five boards and zero turnovers. Had 27 points earlier against Purdue and on season is averaging 16/points , eight assists and five boards per game. Two more years after this of eligibility as well.

Of all of the players on Sleepy's last team here, Carr would likely be the one guy who could have helped the most right now.

BUT HE DIDNT WANT TO BE HERE AFTER KS LEFT! End of story.

My guess is that they just wanted a fresh start after all the losing. Capel was probably fairly neutral toward keeping them because he knew he could get guards with at least similar, if not better, talent. And let's face it, McGowens is significantly better than Stewart and XJ and Carr are probably a push. I don't think our record would have been better over the last two years if we kept Carr and Stewart but didn't get XJ and McGowens.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
He’s a good player, no question about that. Would absolutely love to still have him but he alone was not worth keeping Stallings around.

Stallings was a great coach!!

Not an ACC-level player

Carr
Stewart
SF needed
Brown

You should have stopped after the first sentence.

If anyone is still wishes to debate whether Carr would have made this team better, the debate is over. Carr is the better PG by far. End of discussion.

Also, the more I see Golden the more I am disappointed Capel wasn't able to reel him in. A big recruiting loss.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
Didn't one of the assistant coaches poison the well when dopey Stallings got sh#t canned. I remember reading that he encouraged players to bail. Nice. I wonder how /what he is doing these days.

We all can agree that every Pitt fan would take the combo of Capel/Johnson over Stallings/Carr right now, but that said, Marcus Carr is becoming one of the best all-around PGs in college basketball. He is scoring 15 ppg and is going to average more than 5 rebounds and 7 assists per game this year. I've watched Minnesota quite a bit this year and the eye test is impressive with Carr as well. He plays very under control most of the time and gets his points without looking to be a primary option every possession.

Carr is shooting 37% from field, 31% from 3, and averages 3.1 tos a game. However, he is averaging 15.9. I watched him vs. Purdue and he cost them that game with 7 tos, many of them in crunch time.

Reactions: rrig5
Carr is light years better than Johnson, this season anyway. He had a massive FR to SO improvement. Johnson had a better FR year than Carr but he got worse this year.

No he's not. He's shooting 37% from the field and 31% from 3. You would be crucifying him if he were still here and playing so inefficiently. You'd be frantically searching through box scores to find the guard version of Micah Till who had a good game against us and whining that we should have recruited them.

Marcus Carr always had the makings of a quality combo guard and he's taken a step forward now that he's 3 years removed from high school, but pretending he's light years beyond Johnson is an incredibly myopic take.

Carr is a good player, possibly better than XJ at this point in their careers. Long term, Pitt is better off with Capel as the coach - even if that means not having Carr. These takes aren't mutually exclusive.

Carr is a good player, possibly better than XJ at this point in their careers. Long term, Pitt is better off with Capel as the coach - even if that means not having Carr. These takes aren't mutually exclusive.

Of course Pitt is better off by having Capel. But Carr is one of the best PG's in America right now. I said he could be an all-league player one day during his FR year and everyone thought that was ridiculous

Reactions: jctrack
Of course Pitt is better off by having Capel. But Carr is one of the best PG's in America right now. I said he could be an all-league player one day during his FR year and everyone thought that was ridiculous

Great prediction. Still doesn't explain the number of Carr posts we have on this board. It's not like Capel ran him off - Carr made the choice to leave. Good luck to him, but I could care less what he does from here on out unless Pitt plays them.

Great prediction. Still doesn't explain the number of Carr posts we have on this board. It's not like Capel ran him off - Carr made the choice to leave. Good luck to him, but I could care less what he does from here on out unless Pitt plays them.

Exactly. I said the same the last time he came up. If Capel had run him people could have had at it all they wanted. Carr decided to go elsewhere - which happens all the time with new coaches. This stupid stuff won’t end here though.

Is it fair to say Stallings did an average job of recruiting, but a terrible job of coaching and developing his players while at Pitt?

Is it fair to say Stallings did an average job of recruiting, but a terrible job of coaching and developing his players while at Pitt?
Well...we have Brown & George as his legacies. As for development, no way to know.

Reactions: rrig5
Said at the time Carr and Stewart were guys you most definitely would want to keep on. Carr is actually somewhat similar to X, not as good of an athlete a bit smaller, but a bit more natural. Similar games.

Stewart would have helped as a third guard who could hit the three.

Stallings was always a bit over rated as a "coach" and was burn out when Pitt got him. His offense was not all that better, basically was a shoot the three ball type of deal, with more set plays. Defense was god awful, and the normative system was not as good.

I don't believe it was really reported. Seemed like just a "coach left, I'm gone" situation. I remember he and Stewart were practicing with Capel while taking visits. Disappointing they didn't click with Capel but had they stayed, we may not have gotten Johnson and McGowens.
I think both had really completely made up their minds to go before Capel was even hired.

How much development is it fair to expect over the span of 5 months?

It's fair to say the Stallings hire was never accepted at Pitt, and it was a waste of 2 years.

How much development is it fair to expect over the span of 5 months?

It's fair to say the Stallings hire was never accepted at Pitt, and it was a waste of 2 years.
It’s fair to say that he was never accepted but it was his performance that did him in.

It’s fair to say that he was never accepted but it was his performance that did him in.

He was basically overhauling the entire roster, Cam bails & Luther gets injured. Very little he could do. If Pitt lost Trey & X for the season & Pitt lost out, should they make a change?

He was basically overhauling the entire roster, Cam bails & Luther gets injured. Very little he could do. If Pitt lost Trey & X for the season & Pitt lost out, should they make a change?

If, God forbid, Pitt lost Trey or X and lost out, Capel would still get those players back plus they'd have the difference makers of the 2019 and 2020 classes. There's plenty about Capel that's worth keeping. Stallings was doomed because he took a huge class, half of which lacked the potential to even play reserve minutes in the ACC.

His 8 man recruiting class:

4 non-P5 players (Peace, Samson, Parker, and Malik)
1 borderline starter (TB)
1 pretty good reserve-type player (JWF)
1 good player (Carr)
1 ???? (Shamiel)

Plus, as up and down as it's been at times (I'm still encouraged), Pitt has mostly been in every game under Capel. Stallings lost to Navy and Montana, plus 30 point losses to Penn State, Miami, Duke, UVA, Clemson (!!!!!), and Louisville, a 40 point loss to UNC, and a 50 point loss to Louisville.

We were literally unwatchable under Stallings. It was a horror show without any promise of better days.

If, God forbid, Pitt lost Trey or X and lost out, Capel would still get those players back plus they'd have the difference makers of the 2019 and 2020 classes. There's plenty about Capel that's worth keeping. Stallings was doomed because he took a huge class, half of which lacked the potential to even play reserve minutes in the ACC.

1 good player (Carr)
1 ???? (Shamiel)

Plus, as up and down as it's been at times (I'm still encouraged), Pitt has mostly been in every game under Capel. Stallings lost to Navy and Montana, plus 30 point losses to Penn State, Miami, Duke, UVA, Clemson (!!!!!), and Louisville, a 40 point loss to UNC, and a 50 point loss to Louisville.

We were literally unwatchable under Stallings. It was a horror show without any promise of better days.

Exactly. Plus he used a WHOLE BUNCH of Pitt's allowable number of OV's to accumulate that group, leaving Jeff Capel strapped for OV's to try to put his first class here together.

HCJC was left with not only an inferior and undermanned roster talent-wise, but also with severely limited OV's left to try to recover and re-build the Panthers A real double-whammy. Again, a TREMENDOUS job by ADHL in being able to convince Jeff Capel to take on the job.

I find that surprising, I would think the lack of acceptance had more to do with it, most noticeably demonstrated by the lack of people in seats and impossible to ignore hatred. He wasn’t here long enough for the performance to be a predominant factor.

Carr isn't one of the best point guards in America, that's outrageous hyperbole even by your standards. 8 of his 12 assists against Michigan were feeding Minnesota's beast of a center. Give X someone like Daniel Oturu and then we'll see who the better point guard is.

He won’t even be an all-conference player in the Big 10 with the great guard play of Michigan, MSU, Maryland, OSU, Illinois, etc.

1 good player (Carr)
1 ???? (Shamiel)

You can recruit guy just to fill out a roster with bodies and shake it up after the season.

Regardless, neither Stallings or Capel are what Pitt needs to get back to prominence imo. We'll see. Capel should get 2 more years regardless.

If he read the message boards a lot of posters really turned negative on him as the season progressed . He’s really a combo guard who was forced to be a pg at Pitt , a pg that had a very poor roster to play with .
If you remember the players all seemed to like KS and everyone of them entered the transfer portal , I think as much as the fans hated KS the players liked him . To this day I’ve never heard any of his former Pitt players say anything negative about the man .
I thought Carr was the best guard Pitt had recruited in yrs .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT