ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Carr

I find that surprising, I would think the lack of acceptance had more to do with it, most noticeably demonstrated by the lack of people in seats and impossible to ignore hatred. He wasn’t here long enough for the performance to be a predominant factor.

You don't think that winning four conference games with a team that should have at least been a contender for an NCAA tournament bid followed by a team that won zero conference games had anything at all to do with the lack of people in the seats? Seriously?

He was a mediocre coach on the best day of his life, and that day has long since passed. Performance had everything to do with how people felt about him, both expected and actual performance.

Reactions: levance2
Yeah agreed. If you go 0-19 these days, you're going to see transfers. That's one of several reasons Stallings had to go. It was a free fall.

That's not exactly what I'm saying however. From what I understand, Carr and Stewart (and the whole 0-19 team for that matter) was oddly connected to Stallings. From the minute Stallings was fired, Carr and Stewart pretty much decided they would go. It likely didn't matter all that much who they hired -- those guys were displeased with Pitt.

The way someone explained it to me was … when things are really, really bad, you become very attached to those you go through the situation with. That team also didn't feel like anyone supported them. Not the Pitt administration, not the fans, etc. The only people who the players felt supported them was the coaching staff, and it created real loyalty among the team.

Carr isn't one of the best point guards in America, that's outrageous hyperbole even by your standards. 8 of his 12 assists against Michigan were feeding Minnesota's beast of a center. Give X someone like Daniel Oturu and then we'll see who the better point guard is.

2 years later Carr's 2pt% is down. His 3pt% is down. His FT% is down. His TO are the same.

Only in the trolling mind of SMF does that look like the next NBA superstar.

That's not exactly what I'm saying however. From what I understand, Carr and Stewart (and the whole 0-19 team for that matter) was oddly connected to Stallings. From the minute Stallings was fired, Carr and Stewart pretty much decided they would go. It likely didn't matter all that much who they hired -- those guys were displeased with Pitt.

The way someone explained it to me was … when things are really, really bad, you become very attached to those you go through the situation with. That team also didn't feel like anyone supported them. Not the Pitt administration, not the fans, etc. The only people who the players felt supported them was the coaching staff, and it created real loyalty among the team.

That makes sense. I thought I heard Carr was looking to leave earlier but my source was twice removed as is.

2 years later Carr's 2pt% is down. His 3pt% is down. His FT% is down. His TO are the same.

Sounds like one of the next guards in the country to me!!!

Excuse me. SMF is a basketball genus.

Not an ACC-level player

In seriousness, he appears to be significantly better than Xavier Johnson.

I am happy as heck Stallings is gone but it makes me wonder how this starting lineup would have done this year

Carr
Stewart
SF needed
Golden (who is starting for a FF caliber team)
Brown
You really need to stop smoking.
If it was the other way around you would say X is better..
For a Pitt fan you sure don't like Pitt.

So
What are you measuring ?
Carr 3.1 turnover per game
Johnson 3.9

across the board Johnson is a better shooter

One idiotic argument after another.

Shooting % is rather down the list when assessing point guards. Carr has a much better assist to turnover ratio and rebounds. He distributes the ball, looks for the assist and clearly makes his team better. I can't make the same claim for X. The shooting %'s are marginal when you consider SOS, Carr has played against much better competition.
I am loathe to cherry pick games but just consider the last one each played. One guy played spectacularly in an upset win and the other guy got benched for the second time this year. It's OK to admit Carr is better and is not in any way an attempt to bash X.

Carr’s not bad. Little bit of a volume scorer, but gets his teammates involved as well. Seems like a tough kid in the games I’ve seen, and is undoubtedly the leader of that team.

He’s not as good as SMF thinks, but also isn’t another Josh Newkirk who went to Indiana and was essentially the same guy he was at Pitt except for increased playing time.

Carr’s not bad. Little bit of a volume scorer, but gets his teammates involved as well. Seems like a tough kid in the games I’ve seen, and is undoubtedly the leader of that team.

He’s not as good as SMF thinks, but also isn’t another Josh Newkirk who went to Indiana and was essentially the same guy he was at Pitt except for increased playing time.
We have a bingo!

Reactions: jctrack
Oh God we're talking about him again let him go please he's out of here move on people Please

I never thought Newkirk was very good. He did some nice stuff on good IU teams and people posted on here how good he was. I didn't think so. I didn't think Carr was great as a FR here. He would have been a 12 MPG guy on a good team but I saw something in him and said he had all-league potential and I was right.

We all can agree that every Pitt fan would take the combo of Capel/Johnson over Stallings/Carr right now, but that said, Marcus Carr is becoming one of the best all-around PGs in college basketball. He is scoring 15 ppg and is going to average more than 5 rebounds and 7 assists per game this year. I've watched Minnesota quite a bit this year and the eye test is impressive with Carr as well. He plays very under control most of the time and gets his points without looking to be a primary option every possession.
HE HAS GOOD PLAYERS TO PASS TO!!!!!!

Reactions: jctrack
One idiotic argument after another.

Shooting % is rather down the list when assessing point guards. Carr has a much better assist to turnover ratio and rebounds. He distributes the ball, looks for the assist and clearly makes his team better. I can't make the same claim for X. The shooting %'s are marginal when you consider SOS, Carr has played against much better competition.
I am loathe to cherry pick games but just consider the last one each played. One guy played spectacularly in an upset win and the other guy got benched for the second time this year. It's OK to admit Carr is better and is not in any way an attempt to bash X.
Loathe away

Carr looks really good against the pedophiles tonight. He is playing at an all-big 10 level right now. He does have much more talent to work with, especially the big man Oturru on the inside. Those of you who think he didn't improve since he left are way off base. Not certain of his stats, but something like 24 pts and 8 assists.

Carr looks really good against the pedophiles tonight. He is playing at an all-big 10 level right now. He does have much more talent to work with, especially the big man Oturru on the inside. Those of you who think he didn't improve since he left are way off base. Not certain of his stats, but something like 24 pts and 8 assists.

Carr is really really good. 27 and 9 with a minute left. He has a year on Xavier Johnson so its not a fair comparison but Carr is WAY better at this point. Its not even close. Right now, I'd say Carr is the most likely "Panther" to make the NBA. It would be strange if 4 of 5 NBA former Pitt players played 4.25 seasons at Pitt combined (Adams, Cam, Birch, Carr potentially).

Bad loss by PSU. They are 2-4. Need to get to 9-11 to get in.

Carr was great again tonight as the Gophers won at Ohio St. Was listening to the OSU radio feed and their announcers were saying whatever you do don’t let that guy beat you, and then he did.

He’s having a really nice year, I thought he’d fit in well there but didn’t expect him to be this good.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Carr was great again tonight as the Gophers won at Ohio St. Was listening to the OSU radio feed and their announcers were saying whatever you do don’t let that guy beat you, and then he did.

He’s having a really nice year, I thought he’d fit in well there but didn’t expect him to be this good.

OSU is 2-6. I am so rooting for them to go 7-13 to see if they get in. At 8-12, they are a lock.

OSU is 2-6. I am so rooting for them to go 7-13 to see if they get in. At 8-12, they are a lock.

Im on record here as saying Michigan was going to struggle so much down the stretch that they would have to depend on their preseason tournament success to get in. Neither them or Ohio St look like tournament teams right now.

Im on record here as saying Michigan was going to struggle so much down the stretch that they would have to depend on their preseason tournament success to get in. Neither them or Ohio St look like tournament teams right now.

They probably need to go 8-12 to get in.

It seems some have accidentally forgotten to mention Carr's game against Rutgers, since some on here are keeping track of his All American season: 8 points on 2-8 shooting (that's 25%), 4 rebounds, 5 assists and another loss.

It seems some have accidentally forgotten to mention Carr's game against Rutgers, since some on here are keeping track of his All American season: 8 points on 2-8 shooting (that's 25%), 4 rebounds, 5 assists and another loss.
Sure, but if you watched the last 2 minutes of that game last night, he was on a whole different level than anyone else on that court. His game-winning 3 was preceded by a sweet cross over that basically left the defender’s jock on the ground. His skill level has skyrocketed since he left Pitt. I do watch Minny quite a bit because of Carr. I root for him as a former Panther.

Sure, but if you watched the last 2 minutes of that game last night, he was on a whole different level than anyone else on that court. His game-winning 3 was preceded by a sweet cross over that basically left the defender’s jock on the ground. His skill level has skyrocketed since he left Pitt. I do watch Minny quite a bit because of Carr. I root for him as a former Panther.

Carr reminds me of another guy I was right about and everyone on the board was wrong about. DeAndre Kane

Carr has improved because he has a coach. At Pitt, he had no coach.

But seriously, who cares? He now plays in some league that's irrelevant to us now. So he's irrelevant. Just ignore him and move on. We have our own team to watch. What is this fascination with the B1G or with Carr? It's kind of weird.

Reactions: PittInMissouri

But seriously, who cares? He now plays in some league that's irrelevant to us now. So he's irrelevant. Just ignore him and move on. We have our own team to watch. What is this fascination with the B1G or with Carr? It's kind of weird.
Why is it weird? Many of us watch a ton of basketball along with following Pitt closely. I tend to watch a lot of Big Ten basketball anyway thanks to the fact that Big Ten games are more prevalent on TV than any other conference (thanks to their deals with Fox, ESPN and CBS). Carr is a fun player to watch, though I still will take Johnson every day of the week for a myriad of reasons.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther

I wonder if Carr will grad transfer to a blue blood like Kentucky, Kansas, etc after next season. He has All-America potential. To be fair, I didn't think he'd be THIS good. I said potential all-league, not potentia All-American

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT