ADVERTISEMENT

Marist vs Fairfield is second most important game tonight

Pitt666

Scholarship
Feb 19, 2024
Fairfield is sitting at 161 in NET while Mizz is at 159. We need Fairfield to lose, otherwise, Mizz likely drops to 160 and Q4.

Fairfield is sitting at 161 in NET while Mizz is at 159. We need Fairfield to lose, otherwise, Mizz likely drops to 160 and Q4.
While I sincerely do appreciate this nugget of information (thanks), all this post actually does is highlight how silly these quadrants are in selecting teams for the NCAA Tournament.

While I sincerely do appreciate this nugget of information (thanks), all this post actually does is highlight how silly these quadrants are in selecting teams for the NCAA Tournament.

You said it, DT! Totally agree. I'm sick of hearing about Q whatever. Just play the game and look at records, especially in the later part of the seasons, and home and away records.

These quadrants are moronic. For decades it was good enough to have basketball people watch basketball games, see who is winning and playing well and pick the field. Like everything else in the world, it has been convoluted and messed up with minutiae and meaningless numbers. The fact that anyone on a committee would pay attention to that result shows how insane this is. If Pitt wouldn't get in based on the result of a Marist-Fairfield game gotta say who even cares at that point?

For decades it was good enough to have basketball people watch basketball games, see who is winning and playing well and pick the field. Like everything else in the world, it has been convoluted and messed up with minutiae and meaningless numbers. The fact that anyone on a committee would pay attention to that result shows how insane this is.

The NCAA started using the RPI in 1981.

For the record, 160 is not Q4, it's Q3. Q3 is 76 to 160. So technically Missouri would have to drop two spots, not one.

Sure. But it's also the reason that the team sheets list the numbers and the results together, so it's easy to see if a game was close to a line or not.
That's fair. Let's assume committee members are looking much more closely than fans like us who look at snapshots.

That's fair. Let's assume committee members are looking much more closely than fans like us who look at snapshots.

Well what they have to look at (mainly, I suppose they can look at whatever they want) is the team sheets and the information on them. And they do have a lot of information on them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT