ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Dantonio end of game follies

BFo8

Head Coach
Apr 2, 2013
For those that didn’t see it Michigan St worked their way into position for a tying FG late in the game but managed to screw it up.

They had no timeouts, but plenty of time to spike the ball and set up for the FG or run another play if they chose. Instead they rushed the FG unit onto the field and in the ensuing chaos had 12 men on the field. The kid made the kick originally, but of course shanked it after the penalty.

I’m going to say Dantonio gets a pass with his lengthy track record of success, but it really was poorly managed on his part.

Reactions: Saboteur
I saw it and I’m still shaking my head. Given how rushed and disorganized it was the kid did a great job making the first one. The second one however....

For those that didn’t see it Michigan St worked their way into position for a tying FG late in the game but managed to screw it up.

They had no timeouts, but plenty of time to spike the ball and set up for the FG or run another play if they chose. Instead they rushed the FG unit onto the field and in the ensuing chaos had 12 men on the field. The kid made the kick originally, but of course shanked it after the penalty.

I’m going to say Dantonio gets a pass with his lengthy track record of success, but it really was poorly managed on his part.
Maybe coaches at Michigan State drink too much Flint water and it causes a particular kind of brain damage that make one incapable of simple math and clock management.

I just happened to come across the end of that game on Sirius on the way home from nitterville. Picked it up with two or three minutes left and ASU driving for what turned out to be the winning touchdown with around 50 seconds left. Then MSU just blew straight down the field. It was the ASU feed I was listening to, and they all thought that kicking the field goal with 11 seconds left was the correct call. And maybe it is, I can see an argument for that one, but you have to make that decision immediately. You can't wait. They barely got the kick off before the play clock ran out. And the mad scramble to get the field goal team on late almost certainly contributed to the too many men on the field.

By the way, it was interesting that the refs on the field originally were going to call the penalty, and then for some reason picked up the flag and decided that they didn't have 12 men on the field. I guess they are bad at counting. They had to get the replay official to review the play to get the call correct.

It really looked odd watching it live. 99% of the time the team just spikes the ball and then attempts the kick. Didn’t hear the post game press conference, but I have no clue what he could possibly say about the decision to rush the FG team on the field. Just a total brain freeze.

Staying in the state of Michigan, did anyone watch the Michigan/Army game last week?

Staying in the state of Michigan, did anyone watch the Michigan/Army game last week?

I did, have mentioned this before but the service academies are usually a great play as a big dog, and a bad play as a big favorite.

Reactions: TD_6082
Coaching screw ups part 2

In the Florida Kentucky game, Ky down 22-21 with under 2 minutes

Kentucky has the ball on the 25 and is moving effectively on the ground. About a 42 yarder to win it. And 2 TO left

Stoops runs the play clock ( and game clock down) . Now its 3rs and about 4. They run the clock further. They miss a 40 yard FG.

By running the offense, instead of standing there, waiting until
01 on the play clock, they cost themselves at least one running play and maybe 2, to move the ball as close as possible for the game winner.

The miss , was ever so slightly right. Had they been 2-3 yards closer it likely goes in

Reactions: bubba31
I saw a guy who inexplicably decided to kick a 19 yard field goal while trailing 17-10 with 5 minutes left. It was such a baffling decision that no one paid much mind to the fact that the kicker missed it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT