ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland has to opt

Have an acquaintance that bet me $500 against my $50 after they were 2-0 that Maryland would become bowl eligible, I will formally clinch after today.

He is another one of the few that actually thought hiring Locksley was a home run and that they would compete for Big 10 titles in a few years. Hard to believe people actually thought this.

Locksley failed immensely as a head coach at New Mexico so I'm not sure what they were thinking.

They were counting on him recruiting as many good players as possible to make up for his lack of coaching ability. Then, if it falls apart, at least they would have good players to hire another coach in a few years.

I think it was a stupid move to hire him, though.

He is clueless! Oh well, Maryland will give him one more, then he will be at Albany or somewhere like that

Give him a couple of years before we write him off. I did think they would be more competitive after the first two but they really tanked

Give him a couple of years before we write him off. I did think they would be more competitive after the first two but they really tanked

Are you familiar with his New Mexico career? 2-26 record, sexual harassment charge that he bought his way out of, verbal abuse of a student reporter at a bar, and punching and choking an assistant. He was literally a one man crime wave in Albuquerque.

His career at Maryland is already showing the same pattern on the field, where they aren’t even competitive at this point. The cupboard this guy inherited was far from bare.

To top it off 2 of their highest rated recruits decommitted this past week. Their program is in danger of imploding if they don’t cut ties with this guy soon.

I’d love to get that receiver, Jeshean Jones, to transfer to Pitt and get immediate eligibility.

Pitt went hard after him and he had a solid freshman season but is out this year with an injury. With that place a shitstorm he should claim the strength coach called him a name and be granted immediate eligibility.

Are you familiar with his New Mexico career? 2-26 record, sexual harassment charge that he bought his way out of, verbal abuse of a student reporter at a bar, and punching and choking an assistant. He was literally a one man crime wave in Albuquerque.

His career at Maryland is already showing the same pattern on the field, where they aren’t even competitive at this point. The cupboard this guy inherited was far from bare.

To top it off 2 of their highest rated recruits decommitted this past week. Their program is in danger of imploding if they don’t cut ties with this guy soon.
Did they use the same search service as Barnes did for the Stallings hire?

Incredible how there are people making decisions at universities that are so poor that those humans make the Pitt administration circa 1982-96 look like smart people.

Maryland and Arkansas come to mind.
Don't forget Rutgers. OSU plays THEM next week.

Reactions: Saboteur
Locksley was so dumb he hired Scottie Montgomery as his OC. He ran ECU into the ground for 3 years. But thank god he saved us from paying him a bunch of money. Thank god for Mike Houston at ECU who has us trending up. Lost 2 close ones to Cincy and SMU in back to back weeks. Maryland will be bad for years.

I was very surprised they hired him. I wrote it off as "I'm probably mixing him up with someone else" when I thought it couldn't be the New Mexico guy who had that disastrous run. I remember seeing an ESPN interview of him back in those days and I was thinking "how in the world is this guy still coaching."

Reactions: BFo8
OSU certainly loves it. Nothing like rolling up 73 to pad your playoff resume.
Anyone catch the onsides kick that OSU had in the game. Kickem when they are down!

The sooner MD dumps Locksley the better off they will be. The biggest thing he was supposed to bring to the table was recruiting. He isn’t even doing that well.

OSU certainly loves it. Nothing like rolling up 73 to pad your playoff resume.
Anyone catch the onsides kick that OSU had in the game. Kickem when they are down!
Why not? Score was 14-0 at the time. I'd love to have a go for the jugular mindset. Seems to me PN was taken to task for a field goal attempt. When your foe is on the ropes, go in for the kill.

lol wonder how Dino Tomlin is making out there.

Reactions: pittdan77
They should have hired Canada, who as the temporary HC did a good job running the team after and during the debacle. Md will never give up football with Under Armor around. Most fans do want to be back in the ACC.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I really thought the B10 money and the fertile recruiting ground of the DMV would elevate both these programs to top 20 status. Not only did they not elevate, both programs appear to be worse because of the move. I know it will not happen but it would be nice if both programs moved to the ACC along with WVU. The travel time is excellent for a road game

I really thought the B10 money and the fertile recruiting ground of the DMV would elevate both these programs to top 20 status. Not only did they not elevate, both programs appear to be worse because of the move. I know it will not happen but it would be nice if both programs moved to the ACC along with WVU. The travel time is excellent for a road game

B10 probably likes having a few built in jobbers in the conference for OSU & Michigan. No one ever gives a conference slack for having several 2-10 teams like that, but if you have multiple 7-5 teams forget it you're considered a sub par conference.

Reactions: chirurgo
“If Maryland can hire the right coach and keep the local high school players home, they will be really good”

“If Maryland can hire the right coach and keep the local high school players home, they will be really good”

Maryland was really good for a few years under Friedgen. He won the ACC one year.

Reactions: DiehardPanther

Sounds like another team we know , but with 4 hires in a much less time span

Look at the rivals 250 list for 2019 and 2020. Mid-atlantic high school football isn't that good anymore, unless you extend the definition further south into Virginia (outside of the Terrapin's new conference). The few remaining highly ranked players out of PA and MD every few years get scooped up by PSU and OSU anyway. Im not sold on the underarmor money meaning much unless they can recruit nationally, which they can't.

Rivals 250 for 2019 by state:
California - 35
Texas - 32
Florida - 31
Georgia - 27
... (many other states go here. For example, North Carolina - 9)
Virginia - 6
New Jersey - 5
Maryland - 3 (4 if you include DC)
Pennsylvania - 2 (0 in Western PA)
New York - 1
Various New England states - generally 0.

It's just harder part of the country to win in than Pitt, Maryland, or Rutgers fans want to admit. Thankfully we're doing A LOT better than those other teams. Narduzzi is smart going south, though it'd be nice if we could land the rare top local recruits over PSU/OSU/ND. It's clearly tough though.

And in 2020, Pennsylvania has only 3 of the top 250, again zero in WPIAL.

Hey now, they were ranked this year!

And quickly got exposed thereafter. Since that "ranking", their only victory has been against Rutgers. The losses have been blowouts with the exception of Temple. (They got dominated in that game also, but they were kept in the game only by the worst special teams execution I've ever seen from Temple, and given Temple's history, that's saying something.)

Reactions: str61166
Look at the rivals 250 list for 2019 and 2020. Mid-atlantic high school football isn't that good anymore, unless you extend the definition further south into Virginia (outside of the Terrapin's new conference). The few remaining highly ranked players out of PA and MD every few years get scooped up by PSU and OSU anyway. Im not sold on the underarmor money meaning much unless they can recruit nationally, which they can't.

I've coached in both states, and the concentration of elite talent is enormous. The DMV is one of the highest concentrations of talent in the country. PA has very good football but there is a reason guys with dmv ties get jobs.

I've coached in both states, and the concentration of elite talent is enormous. The DMV is one of the highest concentrations of talent in the country. PA has very good football but there is a reason guys with dmv ties get jobs.
You also said Mike Locksley was a good hire for UMD.

Maybe so. But, I can defend the recruiting angle with actual #'s.

Question for you - why did Saban hire locksley? 2ND question, why did he later have him run the offense?
I got some numbers for you.
6-38 - That is Locksley’s record as a HC.

Why did Lou Holtz hire Fazio? Why did USC hire Hackett? Some guys simply aren’t head coach material.

On another note - Jadeveon Clowney turned out to be a very good NFL player. It is okay to admit you are wrong.

Fair. Still very skeptical of the Maryland 40 year theory of "get a good recruiter and keep your best players at home and you'll win." Maybe you'll win some games but Ohio State for example recruits nationally and from even more fertile ground like Florida in addition to the top 5-6 players in their own still fairly strong state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT