ADVERTISEMENT

Mason Rudolph haters..

Zeldas Open Roof

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2018
And this board is filled with them. Now what’s your excuse?

Just curious how you play this one. Are we still bring in 2019? Just trying to figure out how we move the goal posts after the latest outing where he threw for 275

I’ll hang up and listen.

Reactions: boseman7
If we can somehow get in playoffs, you all realize it’s Rudolph or bust.

I just hope you all know this

I guess we should keep going with the hot hand.

Kenny will win the job back next year? Can he?

As they used to say ..Cricketts....
I have come to the conclusion most people on here have no clue of what they are talking about.

Like the ones who cautioned against crowning Jake Browning, Josh Dobbs, and countless other bums who have won a few football games?

Taking a victory lap on Mason Rudolph right now is hardly the intellectual take.

Dude played well..the funny thing is the supporting cast played well around him for a second game. Hats off to Mason Rudolph but he is kind of the beneficiary of the dam breaking before he jumped on the ship. So many things worked out in his favor..Pickens getting called out for effort, O Line getting blasted for awful play against Colts and Pats. If you want to tell me he is the only difference in this team the last couple of weeks I'll gladly listen, but we all know the entire team looked way better these last 2 weeks especially the O Line. But you go ahead and take your victory lap like you are Nostradamus or something 🤣. Rudolf has a strong arm, improved his pocket presence a ton, but also.....come on. He has not been asked to drop back 40 times, he has basically taken like 1 hit....Life has been pretty easy on ole Mason.....and he deserves it after the crap he has been put through by this franchise.

Only circling those who talked about the great Seattle defense and how the Steelers (with rudodolph) would be throttled by them, no sure if this includes you or not.
I’ll be man enough to admit that I thought the Seattle defense would present a bigger challenge. I was wrong. Mason had a solid game for sure. I was especially impressed with the 40 some handoffs that went for over 200 yards. Point is it all starts up front. Rudy has had the benefit of a dominant run game and really good protection. To his credit he’s taken advantage of that. Looks like he’s going to have another break next week as the Ravens likely will be resting many of their starters

Wonder how many sniffing Rudy’s jock now were trashing him last year

Rudolph has played pretty well so far and they absolutely should be riding the hot hand, but it's almost as if everyone has forgotten that career backup Josh Dobbs was the talk of the NFL after week four of the season, which included them getting a big upset over Dallas, and by four weeks later they were so happy with him that they traded him to Minnesota.

And then in Minnesota he got thrust into starting and for the first three games there he played pretty well. And then he followed that up with a four interception game, followed by a 10-23 for 63 yards game in which they scored three points, and he got benched.

Absolutely ride the (relatively) hot hand, but if you guys expect that all the sudden this is the new normal for Mason Rudolph you are almost certainly going to end up disappointed.

Rudolph has a good connection with Pickens, but he's also played against two defenses that aren't very good. I think KP wins both games, too. There is no doubt that Trubiski stinks, however.

Reactions: pittmaninwv
I think the players around him have picked up their play more than earlier in the year which helps the offense overall. Rudy has also looked confident and has made good decisions with his play. He played well today on the road against a team that needed to win.

Tomlin is solidly in Picketts' corner and now has to figure does he do the obvious and give Rudy the start against the Ravens and see how he performs even if KP is healthy enough to play. Tomlin has always preached that starters don't lose their positions due to injury. However I think he has to feel like Rudy has earned another start.

I do wonder though that with Rudolph being with the Steelers for as long as he has and their ability to evaluate him, is his performance these last two weeks just a product of the offense playing better around him or because of him.

Reactions: mike 301
Rudolph has played pretty well so far and they absolutely should be riding the hot hand, but it's almost as if everyone has forgotten that career backup Josh Dobbs was the talk of the NFL after week four of the season, which included them getting a big upset over Dallas, and by four weeks later they were so happy with him that they traded him to Minnesota.

And then in Minnesota he got thrust into starting and for the first three games there he played pretty well. And then he followed that up with a four interception game, followed by a 10-23 for 63 yards game in which they scored three points, and he got benched.

Absolutely ride the (relatively) hot hand, but if you guys expect that all the sudden this is the new normal for Mason Rudolph you are almost certainly going to end up disappointed.
Honestly, bad games for Mason aren’t much different than what you get from Pickett in a weekly basis. You’ll get between 10 and 17 points. He’ll throw 1 pick, but also get at least 1 TD and probably have over 200 yards passing. Maybe you miss out on the clutch late-game drive in a close game, that’s about it.

I was at the game when Mason tore the Pitt defense apart, throwing to his receiver Washington[former Steeler].
I always wondered what happen to that Oklahoma State Mason.
It didn't help that Ben was so insecure and never took him under his wing, even though Ben talked about how Tomzak helped him when he was a rookie.
I am a big Kenny fan, had an opportunity to chat with him at Posvar hall on his way to class a few times, but Mason hasn't been treated fairly by the coaches.

And this board is filled with them. Now what’s your excuse?

Just curious how you play this one. Are we still bring in 2019? Just trying to figure out how we move the goal posts after the latest outing where he threw for 275

I’ll hang up and listen.
All I will say is fans are not the ones who buried him in a cornfield. Mike Tomlin did.

I did not have a high opinion of him, but a big part of that was my assumption since they went to great lengths to keep him from being their qb that they believed he was pretty bad.

It’s the best quarterback play we’ve had since Big Ben retired, so they need to keep riding the hot hand.

Also, something that should be mentioned but is hard to quantify: apparently, DK said on a podcast last week that several offensive linemen told him off-the-record that “Mason is their guy” and that Tomlin would’ve lost the locker room had Kenny been named the the starter for yesterday’s game.

Is Rudolph taking advantage of a good situation around him with the run game/offensive line play, or is the rest of the offense creating a good situation based on how they respond to Rudolph? Again, no way of really knowing, but some food for thought nonetheless.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
It didn't help that Ben was so insecure and never took him under his wing, even though Ben talked about how Tomzak helped him when he was a rookie.
Would you help someone take your job?

Montana wasn't doing it with Young, neither was Marino with Mitchell. Favre didn't do it with Rogers. Rogers didn't do it with Love. I'm not sure Brady was coveting Jimmy G either. All these guys when asked why they didn't embrace the backup, they all said the same thing - why should I? Maybe some guys do but it seems many do not.

Would you help someone take your job?

Montana wasn't doing it with Young, neither was Marino with Mitchell. Favre didn't do it with Rogers. Rogers didn't do it with Love. I'm not sure Brady was coveting Jimmy G either. All these guys when asked why they didn't embrace the backup, they all said the same thing - why should I? Maybe some guys do but it seems many do not.
All the guys you mentioned ( including Ben ) are HOF QBs. If they felt threatened by a young guy coming in to take their job so helping them was a threat to that says more about their arrogance and lack of being a good teammate.

He’s done this before, then hits a wall. Maybe he won’t this time. Will be interesting next game when they have tougher time running.

Reactions: pittmaninwv
Ok Einstein

Okay, then go lead the Mason Rudolph bandwagon. If a dude with that level of arm strength and mobility is what you want to hitch your wagon to, so be it.

Just like Kordell Stewart was better than Neal but then, magically, Kent Graham and probably even Tee Martin were better than Kordell . Just like Tommy Guns was the man. Just like we were should have given Landry Jones a shot because I think he could have been better than a struggling Ben. Just like Charlie Batch could have started for many other teams and we were lucky enough to be graced with his backup presence. Just like Brian St. Pierre was dropping dimes in the preseason and would probably be the man if we had only let him.

How many times do things like this need to happen before people realize that sometimes a backup comes in and succeeds... and then, 49 times out of 50, he falls back down to Earth and shows you why he was a backup? Was Duck Hodges not good enough of an example? Was Mason Rudolph himself not good enough of an example? The quarterbacks around the league who looked good and then looked quite the opposite of good this season... not good enough?

Woo hoo, Mason! He shredded that vaunted Bengals defense and then handed off like Johnny Unitas all day. Where is my red nose? Ruuuuuuuudolph!

Anyone who says moves the goal posts is a female. JMO
After every game, every fan has to rank the QBs. I can't stand reading message boards let alone listen to sports radio anymore. Everyone is correct and knew it all along.

One more thing. You can ask Mason what time it is and he will start thanking God first, and then ramble on for 3 minutes then tell you. Glory be to Mason. He is the next coming of Ben. Lets all anoint him.

I am glad Mason won the last two games.

Glad Kenny has brought the team back to win many games.

Wish we never ever signed Mitch.

If Kenny loses his job he probably only has himself to blame for his tentativeness.

One more thing. You can ask Mason what time it is and he will start thanking God first, and then ramble on for 3 minutes then tell you. Glory be to Mason. He is the next coming of Ben. Lets all anoint him.
Here is some hate. Why the personal attack.? Show me the quote where MR says "I am the next franchise qb if I just get the chance."
It is a "What have you done for me lately" league, always has been, Rudolph has supplied a spark with a strong arm and decent accuracy, enough to get the ball to their top receiver down the field and score the last two weeks. Show me the stats that say otherwise the past two weeks. He is the best they have right now, your hate seems to blind you from that fact.

First off, I am not a hater. Second I am a Pickett guy and third, I was/am/will be a trubisky hater. Now on to my point.

I am glad for Mason. First off I am a Steeler fan and am happy for the wins and his performance. As good as it looks for Mason, I think the opposite is true for the coaching staff. They shoved that XFL caliber quarterback down our throats until they were left now choice but to start Rudolph. I have said it the last 2 years, this team needs a legit NFL OC. Now if this is the offense they insist on using moving forward, then coach catch phrase will probably stay the course with Faulkner/Sullivan.

If changes are made (which need to be) and a legit OC is brought in then I want to see how Kenny picks up a new system.

That being said to all the Kenny haters, he will compete for the job next year, the Steelers will not give up on him.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Here is some hate. Why the personal attack.? Show me the quote where MR says "I am the next franchise qb if I just get the chance."
It is a "What have you done for me lately" league, always has been, Rudolph has supplied a spark with a strong arm and decent accuracy, enough to get the ball to their top receiver down the field and score the last two weeks. Show me the stats that say otherwise the past two weeks. He is the best they have right now, your hate seems to blind you from that fact.
Hate ? Lol
I'm happy for the guy .
I just think he is sentimental and its funny.
He is a renewed QB. You can see it, I can see it.
But every fan wants to say yep. He is the best , should have played him all year.
I bet you would have started Mason game 1 too. We need more people like you.

We need more people like you
Agreed! Let the athletes compete for their positions and those who perform, get them on the field. This brings out the competitor in everyone. With franchise qb's few and far between allowing a QB to mature should be the rule not the exception, seems the league has forgotten that. If you can't see that Rudolph has played the best back to back games by a steeler's qb in a long time, you are just not knowledgeable. Why should draft order matter? It did not it work with Devin Bush for example. Why is the QB position any different?

Last edited:
Reactions: Schaef60
Dude played well..the funny thing is the supporting cast played well around him for a second game. Hats off to Mason Rudolph but he is kind of the beneficiary of the dam breaking before he jumped on the ship. So many things worked out in his favor..Pickens getting called out for effort, O Line getting blasted for awful play against Colts and Pats. If you want to tell me he is the only difference in this team the last couple of weeks I'll gladly listen, but we all know the entire team looked way better these last 2 weeks especially the O Line. But you go ahead and take your victory lap like you are Nostradamus or something 🤣. Rudolf has a strong arm, improved his pocket presence a ton, but also.....come on. He has not been asked to drop back 40 times, he has basically taken like 1 hit....Life has been pretty easy on ole Mason.....and he deserves it after the crap he has been put through by this franchise.
Agreed. It is not as cut and dried as the poster wants it to be. The offensive line played its best game in ages yesterday. They ran the ball with power which also helps the defense. The receivers didn't whine and mope. This is a better team than it was five weeks ago. There is no doubt about that. Mason played very well, and I am glad. There is a ton of work left to do and the Canada firing was the first of many steps.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
It's just 2 data points. Yes, he looks like the best QB we have right now. He has to prove that with more than 2 data points. But even if the Stillers beat Baltimore with their skeleton lineup, we'll get beat in the first round of the playoffs. Who cares? Same old Stillers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT