ADVERTISEMENT

McGowens

Guarantee you if Toney stays Jeffress (if he signs with Pitt) will not start over him next year.

Toney is a grown man, our best defender and Jeffress who seems to have lots of potential is still thin and not ready to player over Toney. Toney may not have put up big scoring numbers but he does the little things and is our best 2 way player.

I kinda think we get 1 of Toney or Jeffress. Neither is going to want to come off the bench

He's a 3 through and through. Too small for 4, not skilled enough in dribbling for a 2.

Artis wasn't skilled enough as a 2 let alone a 1 as a sophomore. Toney has the ability to take minutes at the 2 - assuming we see continued development that should be next year. His 35% from 3 after his poor start is good enough for a 2nd 2.

Artis wasn't skilled enough as a 2 let alone a 1 as a sophomore. Toney has the ability to take minutes at the 2 - assuming we see continued development that should be next year. His 35% from 3 after his poor start is good enough for a 2nd 2.
That's kind of where I'm going with it. Toney reminds me of the kind of longer, 6'5"ish, strong, tough as nails non-ball-handler guys on the perimeter that Florida State seems to come at you in waves with.

Right? Posts like that drive me nuts. If a coworker punched you after a meeting chances are you'd probably look for another job. But nah! We hold student athletes to some absurd standard that we don't hold ourselves (or the coaches).
Cute tough guy. Teach him the only thing that matters is that he gets paid.

I don't think so because he could've came with Justin it was package deal but he thought he needed a prep yr but when St. John's new coach came to him he took it and said he wanted to be a hometown hero and help keep other guys home like Hayes here in football.
Is there any chance Champagnie’s brother transfers to Pitt?

If they both leave, and particularly if Toney leaves, one has to question Capel and the way he's running his program. As I've said before, he's not wowing anyone with Xs and Os and in-game coaching , so if he can't build his personnel group and retain starting players that he personally recruited, that's not encouraging.

Capel has only been here for two years, give him at least two more. Transfers work both ways, so I fully expect him to bring in someone of similar talent level if a few of the kids leave. It’s not like McGowens and/or Toney are game-breaking or unique talents either. Sometimes you can’t tell how personalities are going to mesh before everyone gets on campus together — and when your program is losing, that amplifies the issues. They already are keeping X, which is a huge win IMO. So let’s not be so harsh on Capel after year two.

SMF I thought the same thing but when I listen to WJ interview it sounds as if he wouldn't automatically need to start the first year because he's getting a early start but you never know sometimes when you start practicing and if you think you're clearly better then the guy in front of you, you definitely want to play and start
I kinda think we get 1 of Toney or Jeffress. Neither is going to want to come off the bench

Capel has only been here for two years, give him at least two more. Transfers work both ways, so I fully expect him to bring in someone of similar talent level if a few of the kids leave. It’s not like McGowens and/or Toney are game-breaking or unique talents either. Sometimes you can’t tell how personalities are going to mesh before everyone gets on campus together — and when your program is losing, that amplifies the issues. They already are keeping X, which is a huge win IMO. So let’s not be so harsh on Capel after year two.

Even more so the fact they neither has transferred yet, indicates they may still be talking to their families and the coaching staff. Sometimes once you get away from a situation a bit and let emotions cool. People realize they need to work things out and the devil you know is better than the devil you don't and things get worked out.

Cute tough guy. Teach him the only thing that matters is that he gets paid.

These are college kids who need to look out for themselves and the circumstances that will best prepare them for their careers. The coaches certainly don't care about them and will recruit over them in a heartbeat. They don't owe any innate loyalty to their universities. It's not being a tough guy to say your "suck it up" shaming is outdated and wrong.

These are college kids who need to look out for themselves and the circumstances that will best prepare them for their careers. The coaches certainly don't care about them and will recruit over them in a heartbeat. They don't owe any innate loyalty to their universities. It's not being a tough guy to say your "suck it up" shaming is outdated and wrong.

Agree. Coaches will leave for a better job in a second and forget about all the promises they made to kids when they recruited them. Therefore you can’t blame a kid doing what they feel is best for them.

Thanks for making my point.

You’re just too sentimental. Pitt and HCJC aren’t the armpit you seem to think they are.

You’re just too sentimental. Pitt and HCJC aren’t the armpit you seem to think they are.

Not saying anything about Pitt or HCJC specifically, just drawing on my observation of coach/player behavior. Players gotta lock out for themselves. No one else will.

Toney returning is more important than Trey or Murphy or Femi. Let’s be honest. He’s a first round pick type of player after 4 years.

I think he showed flashes this year of potentially being a future pro. First round territory would take a few steps forward.

Wooooaaaah! I want Toney to come back as well, but tap the brakes.
What’s fun is that we’ll get to see if I’m right or wrong. And, unlike some, I’ll be happy to admit the latter. It’s happened before.

side note - i loved Carr and Stewart. I think Stewart will be a serious contributor to a good program the next two years.

lol, last statement i'll let go, cant argue with that and it did make me laugh reading it.

again, 3 of those 4 qualifies as a mass exodus and he put this out there a month ago. but yeah, he gets credit but annoying if he's whistling past the graveyard..

im hoping toney stays. i like mcgowans too but this sounds like a done deal. one thing i think of is we went 0 - February with these guys, is it really bad if we turn this roster over a bit? These guys weren't exactly getting better as the season wore on, the opposite if you ask me..

I believe this is the thread people are recalling.
https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/we-are-headed-for-another-rebuild.166277/

In typical SMF fashion, he says we're headed for a rebuild, then hedges 1 out of 4 all the way to all 4 leaving.

In fairness, I didn't think any of the top 4 would leave. Let's see what happens.

I believe this is the thread people are recalling.
https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/we-are-headed-for-another-rebuild.166277/

In typical SMF fashion, he says we're headed for a rebuild, then hedges 1 out of 4 all the way to all 4 leaving.

In fairness, I didn't think any of the top 4 would leave. Let's see what happens.
5a90e13baae60553008b4580

Guarantee you if Toney stays Jeffress (if he signs with Pitt) will not start over him next year.

Toney is a grown man, our best defender and Jeffress who seems to have lots of potential is still thin and not ready to player over Toney. Toney may not have put up big scoring numbers but he does the little things and is our best 2 way player.
There’d be plenty of minutes for any good player no matter who the designated starters are.

Right? Posts like that drive me nuts. If a coworker punched you after a meeting chances are you'd probably look for another job. But nah! We hold student athletes to some absurd standard that we don't hold ourselves (or the coaches).
Not to mention conflating some quaint notion of “honor” with a guy who plays 40 minutes a game staying where he is, and “dishonor” with guys who may be having a bad experience deciding to leave.

Reactions: Ski11585
Toney returning is more important than Trey or Murphy or Femi. Let’s be honest. He’s a first round pick type of player after 4 years.
Let’s actually be honest: he’s nowhere close to looking like a future NBA player, let alone first round draft pick.

Can’t we just stick with the premise that he’s a solid young player who’s getting better?

Not to mention conflating some quaint notion of “honor” with a guy who plays 40 minutes a game staying where he is, and “dishonor” with guys who may be having a bad experience deciding to leave.
Maybe you guys can have them write down their feelings on paper and then give them a great big hug.

Seems like the one doing the conflating here is you. There were no lies or broken promises to these two. That’s other schools you’re talking about and certainly not germane in this instance. These guys were given the keys to a major program in the ACC and could still have them to “build their brand” which seems to be what you’re so concerned about in this exploitation you seem to think goes on. Time for them to put their big boy pants on and nut-up.

Seems like the one doing the conflating here is you. There were no lies or broken promises to these two. That’s other schools you’re talking about and certainly not germane in this instance. These guys were given the keys to a major program in the ACC and could still have them to “build their brand” which seems to be what you’re so concerned about in this exploitation you seem to think goes on. Time for them to put their big boy pants on and nut-up.

So you never in your life stopped doing something that you weren’t enjoying? Never left a job you didn’t like?

Im calling BS.

False equivalence my man if you know what that means. A job and a team have some shared characteristics, but that doesn’t mean they are equal. They are significantly different. That’s why many times the business world looks to the sports world to learn workplace leadership and team skills involved.

Everyone expects some level of career progression to take place in the business world, so people do change jobs, so it is expected. Teammates don’t expect other teammates to just get up and quit because of a little adversity. Just the opposite. They expect their teammates to be people they can trust and be reliable so that they can rely on them to be there and to build and to not quit. You’re trying to justify two guys leaving because they got their feelings hurt.

Reactions: BigZeke
Everyone expects some level of career progression to take place in the business world, so people do change jobs, so it is expected. Teammates don’t expect other teammates to just get up and quit because of a little adversity. Just the opposite. They expect their teammates to be people they can trust and be reliable so that they can rely on them to be there and to build and to not quit. You’re trying to justify two guys leaving because they got their feelings hurt.

I think a player punching a teammate after a win is a little more than hurt feelings. If you want to point the finger, point it at the coach for not keeping order in the locker room.

I think a player punching a teammate after a win is a little more than hurt feelings. If you want to point the finger, point it at the coach for not keeping order in the locker room.

I do hate how everyone blames the coach for everything these kids do as if they are all knowing and ever present in their lives. The NCAA places restrictions on how much time the coaches can be around the players.

Do you blame the manager at work when two employees get into it?

Sometimes people don't get along and no one can do anything about it and who knows what finally sets them off.

That makes sense. Agree, Toney should have been jacked up against the wall by Capel and ripped a new asshole and X and Trey should know Capel has their back. But you don’t shutdown over something like that, you make it through the craziness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT