ADVERTISEMENT

Meleek Thomas

to win a state title, stay at home with mom in NH. And he has another year to go to one of those schools, although he doesn’t need it now.

Leaving home next year for a bball factory makes no sense at this point. It also doesn't make a lot sense for him to play HS basketball next year for free when he could make $1 million in college and get to the NBA 1 year earlier. Vader says he will be the same age as a HS senior as Bub is as a college FR. Capel has to be selling him on the reclass.

BTW, Brandin Cummings's is extremely underrated. I think his ceiling is NBA. I think he makes it there eventually. I think he's the best combo guard to come out of the WPIAL in decades.

BTW, Brandin Cummings's is extremely underrated. I think his ceiling is NBA. I think he makes it there eventually. I think he's the best combo guard to come out of the WPIAL in decades.
Not sure about cummings and the nba. Simply, he is currently too short. The days of the 6-6’2 guards are going away. Best case for him is probably 2nd round pick. Nowadays everyone is looking for players like bub to run the point. The last couple years their have been some great 6-6’2 guards who fell simply because of their heights

Not sure about cummings and the nba. Simply, he is currently too short. The days of the 6-6’2 guards are going away. Best case for him is probably 2nd round pick. Nowadays everyone is looking for players like bub to run the point. The last couple years their have been some great 6-6’2 guards who fell simply because of their heights

Maybe. But I think he can be an All-ACC player. Maybe like those Miami guards who are elite college guards but never make the NBA. Let me put it this way, I cant say I am a recruiting guru but I cant believe there are more than a handful of combo guards better than him in that class. I think he's going to be big time.

Leaving home next year for a bball factory makes no sense at this point. It also doesn't make a lot sense for him to play HS basketball next year for free when he could make $1 million in college and get to the NBA 1 year earlier. Vader says he will be the same age as a HS senior as Bub is as a college FR. Capel has to be selling him on the reclass.

Yeah, um no. Cummings will not play in the NBA. He would have to turn into strictly a PG

Morgantown is awesome for a college kid
I don't know what idiot Pitt fans don't get about this. You are talking about 20 year old young guys, in a town with 10's of thousands 20 year old girls and a town where 20 year old young guys (athletes) are gods. I don't think they care if there isn't a Michelin star restaurant there.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Following up on this, this is the top 10 biggest NIL deals in all of college in any sport men or women. Take note of the lack of men's college basketball players on this list.

NCAA athletes with the biggest endorsement deals​

NameUniversitySportAmount
Bronny JamesUSC TrojansBasketball$6.1 million
Shedeur SandersColorado BuffaloesFootball$4.5 million
Livvy DunneLSU TigersGymnastics$3.3 million
Arch ManningTexas LonghornsFootball$2.8 million
Caleb WilliamsUSC TrojansFootball$2.8 million
Travis HunterColorado BuffaloesFootball$2.2 million
Angel ReeseLSU TigersBasketball$1.7 million
Spencer RattlerSouth Carolina GamecocksFootball$1.5 million
Bo NixOregon DucksFootball$1.5 million
Jayden DanielsLSU TigersFootball$1.5 million

I don't believe anyone is going to pay Meleek Thomas over $1 million in college basketball and if by small chance they do, its barely going to be over $1 million. In fact, after doing some research on this, the 5 biggest NIL deals in all of college basketball right now men or women are

Bronny James
Angel Reese
Hansel Emmanuel 1.2 million - 1 Arm basketball player
Flau-Jae Johnson 1.1 million
Jared Mccain- 1 million

That is ALL of college basketball. So in short, of the top 5 in all of college basketball, 2 are women that won a national title and 1 player has 1 arm.

Cooper Flagg, who is head and shoulders the number 1 recruit in high school basketball regardless of class, has an online NIL evaluation of 950K per on ON3. I would be willing to bet he easily cleared $1 million in NIL, but I am heavily skeptical he got up to $1.5 million.

Bballinsider is overrating his forecasts on NIL deals.
Only Livvy Dunne actually earns her NIL with all her commercials

Why would they step 1 foot off campus? Man you guys never partied at WVU during your college days? That town is a helluva time for a college kid.

Why would a 22 year old care what the atmosphere is like off campus if it’s not at a bar or house party?

Correct. So if you’re getting 200k along with a free apartment and car why would you care if the WV is a poor state? You’re 21-23 years old, not 30 and looking for a job. This is all so weird.
It’s really no different than any other strip of bars .
That’s weird
Lemme guess you’re from Washington or Waynesburg ?

Caleb Williams has legit national deals

But to answer your general question yea those two have what it takes to earn a legit nil deal (winning the heisman and/or being really hot while also being good at leveraging social media to garner attention)

But to answer your general question yea those two have what it takes to earn a legit nil deal (winning the heisman and/or being really hot while also being good at leveraging social media to garner attention)
True - Caleb Williams as well
Good call

Not sure I count Caleb Williams. The Heisman winner is always going to do the Nissan Heisman House and Dr. Pepper commercials. Big * there. Very little legit NIL money being earned. You dont even see these guys being marketed locally.

Not sure I count Caleb Williams. The Heisman winner is always going to do the Nissan Heisman House and Dr. Pepper commercials. Big * there. Very little legit NIL money being earned. You dont even see these guys being marketed locally.

Why was he always going to do the Dr. Pepper commercials? Was he also always going to do the Wendy's commercials? Was he also always going to be a spokesman for Beats by Dre? Or Postmates?

Most college freshman I’ve ever met weren’t old enough to go to bars !

Being an extremely tall young black man in a college town you just can’t blend into the crowd when your underage .

Let’s see going drinking beer with your buddies or hanging out with hot babes ……really tough decision !

Even PSU has a lot of hot coeds ….

Meleek will have a fine time no matter where he goes to school .

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Why was he always going to do the Dr. Pepper commercials? Was he also always going to do the Wendy's commercials? Was he also always going to be a spokesman for Beats by Dre? Or Postmates?

Dr. Pepper and Nissan are long-running college football ad campaigns so they were always going to have a college player when NIL passes. He does commercials for Wendy's, Beats, and Postmates? I've never seen them.

How am I wrong ?
I’ve been to Morgantown probably 6 times in college due to meetings.

It’s simply not special .
Unless you’re just a fanboy
You said I was from Waynesburg, the only part of your inane runnings on I responded to. Morgantown is fun. Knoxville is fun. Chapel Hill is fun. College towns are fun. So can be big cities. Some kids wants to go to college towns where they’re the biggest game in town.

Not sure how we got onto Morgantown other than me naming how much they are giving pay for play. But no college kid cares about the economics of the town they go to. Being in WV doesn’t turn kids off.

How bout a long flight for every road game?
Who cares? They’re on private jets going to private airports. They’re not going thru security. They’re treated like kings. Do you think a kid cares about a plane ride when they’ve played all across the country since they were 14?!

Pitt will soon be playing at SMU, Stanford, Cal. How is that different?

Who cares? They’re on private jets going to private airports. They’re not going thru security. They’re treated like kings. Do you think a kid cares about a plane ride when they’ve played all across the country since they were 14?!

Pitt will soon be playing at SMU, Stanford, Cal. How is that different?

Its a lot different because Pitt will fly to San Francisco once every 2 years.

Depending on how they do the schedules, WVU could have 4 hour flights to Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and West Texas along with changing timezones and elevations
Man I bet a college kid would hate to travel that much. I know I also hated traveling when I was young. Who wants to go to all those different places? They should go to the MAC instead and do 4 hour bus rides

I like Meleek, but I have concerns that we are overestimating him a bit at this point. He has a higher ceiling than Brandin Cummings, but there’s a chance Brandin has a higher floor in the long run. Meleek struggled in Peach Jam without Elliot Cadeau as his running mate in July. Shooting splits of (33%, 14%, 66%) in 5 games. Hasn’t particularly set the world on fire to start his junior season when he is playing against good competition (got outplayed by Taounde Yessoufou and the Guillroy kid from Moon outplayed him as well). His main issue is shot selection (Cummings to an extent too, but he is more consistent at making them).

He does really bring it defensively though, and is ultra competitive. Is he a 1 and done lottery pick? At his best, and if everything plays out in his favor, then possibly, but he could just as easily have a Malik Newman-type Career because he maybe isnt efficient enough to be a high volume shooter/scorer in the NBA. Cummings is a safer bet as a consistent college scorer, and I think will score a lot of points in his career. For him to be an NBA guy though, he will have to learn and commit to being more of a lead guard over time because he doesn’t have NBA measurables to be a 2-guard and needs to vastly improve his ability to facilitate.

I like Meleek, but I have concerns that we are overestimating him a bit at this point. He has a higher ceiling than Brandin Cummings, but there’s a chance Brandin has a higher floor in the long run. Meleek struggled in Peach Jam without Elliot Cadeau as his running mate in July. Shooting splits of (33%, 14%, 66%) in 5 games. Hasn’t particularly set the world on fire to start his junior season when he is playing against good competition (got outplayed by Taounde Yessoufou and the Guillroy kid from Moon outplayed him as well). His main issue is shot selection (Cummings to an extent too, but he is more consistent at making them).

He does really bring it defensively though, and is ultra competitive. Is he a 1 and done lottery pick? At his best, and if everything plays out in his favor, then possibly, but he could just as easily have a Malik Newman-type Career because he maybe isnt efficient enough to be a high volume shooter/scorer in the NBA. Cummings is a safer bet as a consistent college scorer, and I think will score a lot of points in his career. For him to be an NBA guy though, he will have to learn and commit to being more of a lead guard over time because he doesn’t have NBA measurables to be a 2-guard and needs to vastly improve his ability to facilitate.

Well, Meleek, as a true freshman isnt going to be that much better of a college basketball player than your top mid-major transfers. So the sky isnt falling if we don't get him because true freshman cant really dominate anymore. But you cant get outbid. If he wants to take less money to play at UK, fine.

You said I was from Waynesburg, the only part of your inane runnings on I responded to. Morgantown is fun. Knoxville is fun. Chapel Hill is fun. College towns are fun. So can be big cities. Some kids wants to go to college towns where they’re the biggest game in town.

Not sure how we got onto Morgantown other than me naming how much they are giving pay for play. But no college kid cares about the economics of the town they go to. Being in WV doesn’t turn kids off.
I asked if you were from Washington or Waynesburg because of how hard you were jocking Morgantown as some kinda really fun town .
It’s not
Frankly , neither is chapel hill - and I lived there for 14 years .

Its pretty - has some great restaurants (which college kids aren’t going to )
But outside of Halloween - Franklin st isn’t a party.

He does commercials for Wendy's, Beats, and Postmates? I've never seen them.

Tell everyone you didn't actually watch much college football this year on television without actually saying that you didn't watch much college football on television this season.

Although I guess the other possibility is that you have no idea who Caleb Williams is or what he looks like, so you just assume that guy in those Wendy's commercials is just some random actor.

Reactions: Ski11585
Tell everyone you didn't actually watch much college football this year on television without actually saying that you didn't watch much college football on television this season.

Although I guess the other possibility is that you have no idea who Caleb Williams is or what he looks like, so you just assume that guy in those Wendy's commercials is just some random actor.

I dont watch much live TV. Most everything is DVR'd. But still I have seen the Nissan and Dr. Pepper commercials but not Wendy's and the others.

I dont watch much live TV. Most everything is DVR'd. But still I have seen the Nissan and Dr. Pepper commercials but not Wendy's and the others.

The Wendy's commercial poked some fun at Matt Leinart, as the Wendy's worker didn't know who he was. I think Caleb was wearing his USC jersey in that ad

How is Caitlin Clark not on that list of top NIL earners? I guess it all comes down to the state she lives in and how much leverage she wanted to create with her own university, but other than Caleb Williams and Livvy Dunne, I can’t think of a more popular and marketable college athlete right now.

How is Caitlin Clark not on that list of top NIL earners? I guess it all comes down to the state she lives in and how much leverage she wanted to create with her own university, but other than Caleb Williams and Livvy Dunne, I can’t think of a more popular and marketable college athlete right now.

Its a terrible methodology. It uses the number of social media influencers they have to estimate what they are worth in REAL NIL deals to companies. Caitlin Clark is sort of average looking and she doesnt post half naked videos of herself like Livvy Dunne so she isnt going to have the social media presence that others do. That said, her value to advertisers comes by HER GAME. She may be one of the best women's players ever and the big brands like Nike want to lock her up now. She may not be very marketable right now as a college athlete but if she is as good a pro as is projected, she could go down as like the best known female player ever and players like that are definitely worth big bucks to companies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT