ADVERTISEMENT

Miami, Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech

Macchiato

Freshman
Oct 15, 2017
These are the three schools we have to contend this year to win our conference championship. We have The Yellow Jackets at home Sept 15th, The Hokies at Home Nov 10th with our last game of the year in Miami on Nov 24th. I know everybody is focused on our “toughest in the nation” non-conference schedule but we actually have a nice set up on our ACC schedule to make a run at the Coastal Champs

I expect VT to start to climb back to late 90's early 2000's prominence. A big buzz around the 757 is that Fuentes is rebuilding that pipeline they once thrived off off. If you get the best out of the 757, you can contend for a NC.

Do other fan bases prop up ga tech as some sort of powerhouse as much as we do? Nowhere else in this country is ga tech as dominant as they are on the pantherlair.

Last edited:
Didn't UNC have a historic rash of injuries last year? They have been recruiting top 25 year in and year out. They have a good coach. I would expect a bounce back year from them. And even if they don't, do you expect us to win in Chapel Hill?

Reactions: daminals76
Didn't UNC have a historic rash of injuries last year? They have been recruiting top 25 year in and year out. They have a good coach. I would expect a bounce back year from them. And even if they don't, do you expect us to win in Chapel Hill?
they will bounce back, hoping they don't turn into a top 15-20 program though. Im cool with Miami being top 10 program, va tech being top 15 program but I don't want a 3rd team in coastal being a perennial power unless it's us..

Reactions: SempleFest06
I expect VT to start to climb back to late 90's early 2000's prominence. A big buzz around the 757 is that Fuentes is rebuilding that pipeline they once thrived off off. If you get the best out of the 757, you can contend for a NC.

That might be the buzz but it really isn't true. Last year OSU and PSU got the top 4 recruits in VA (2 each, VT got #5) and the year before that VT got 1 of the top 6. The past 2 years they were only able to get 4 of the 17 4stars in the state of VA.

Reactions: Celtsfan
That might be the buzz but it really isn't true. Last year OSU and PSU got the top 4 recruits in VA (2 each, VT got #5) and the year before that VT got 1 of the top 6. The past 2 years they were only able to get 4 of the 17 4stars in the state of VA.

Fuente has been at VT for 1.5 years.

I can tell you this, I talk to college coaches all the time and they all are saying VT is starting to gain major lost territory in the 757.

Reactions: paulbl99
He has been there 2.5 years. He was named head coach in November of 2015. I'm glad you talk to college coaches, I am just telling you the reality. Last year, coming off an ACC championship appearance, he didn't get the top recruits in VA. They had the 24th ranked class last year per composite, I don't expect them to significantly improve that moving forward, maybe sneak inside the top 20. In 2019 4 of the top 5 prospects are already strong leans to OSU, Clemson, and PSU.

Reactions: Celtsfan
These are the three schools we have to contend this year to win our conference championship. We have The Yellow Jackets at home Sept 15th, The Hokies at Home Nov 10th with our last game of the year in Miami on Nov 24th. I know everybody is focused on our “toughest in the nation” non-conference schedule but we actually have a nice set up on our ACC schedule to make a run at the Coastal Champs

Yeah, really can't talk about much else until they get there (Coastal).
NC,Duke, GT have done it so.. But I used to Uconn,Cincy won BE too.

I just like we have Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech at home. Both are very good teams next year. It makes a nice end of year match up in Miami. I will definitely travel for that game

I just like we have Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech at home. Both are very good teams next year. It makes a nice end of year match up in Miami. I will definitely travel for that game

Like you mentioned, we are set up really nicely to win the Coastal next season. Very favorable schedule. Our tough OOC schedule should have us very prepared as well. With all the talent we have returning next season, could it be the year all the balls bounce our way?

the 757 area has 0 top 250 players in '18. LOL, yeah, the hokies can dominate that area and win a NC.

Actually, the 757 has multiple players in the Top 250. One of which is ranked the 20th best player in the country.

More to the point, you looked at one year. In 2017, the 757 had 6+ players ranked in the Top 250. If you start landing the majority of these players, you are in great shape.

Last edited:
Reactions: steelcurtain55.
You must be really young.
I am sure we beat them 6 or 7 years ago, I just cant remember when. I do remember them beating us at night when we had horrid pink script helmets on, I remember them converting 19 4th and longs to beat us, they beat us last year, they beat us at three rivers, at least once, maybe another time in late 70's.

Im sure we have beaten them before but I sure as hell don't remember when.

I am sure we beat them 6 or 7 years ago, I just cant remember when. I do remember them beating us at night when we had horrid pink script helmets on, I remember them converting 19 4th and longs to beat us, they beat us last year, they beat us at three rivers, at least once, maybe another time in late 70's.

Im sure we have beaten them before but I sure as hell don't remember when.
Wanny beat them in a bowl game in 2009, Marino also beat them at 3RS in the season opener in 1982, and we also beat them in 1978. UNC has won 9 of 12 and 5 in a row, but all 5 have been excruciating defeats.

Reactions: Swervin27
If I was in top 20 next year, I would cringe seeing PITT on my schedule. We have speed. There will be big apologies to Watson next year from many on this board. I think the coastal comes down to the Miami game

It's a good area, but it's not top 5 or top 10 in the nation.

I was at Old Dominion's satellite camps last year and having talked with Jim Harbaugh's and James Franklin's staff, they would wholeheartedly disagree with you. Larry Johnson echoed those same sentiments a few weeks ago at Dematha.

You can name drop all you want, it won't change reality. What do you expect people at an ODU camp would say?

There are probably 5 areas in Florida alone that are better. Several in Georgia, New Orleans, another 5 in TX, multiple in the LA area. I haven't even touched the rest of the country.

You can name drop all you want, it won't change reality. What do you expect people at an ODU camp would say?

There are probably 5 areas in Florida alone that are better. Several in Georgia, New Orleans, another 5 in TX, multiple in the LA area. I haven't even touched the rest of the country.

I just go by the evidence.... Larry Johnson wasn't in Norfolk when he said the same thing.

Proof is in the pudding. You only set up satellite camps in areas where the per capita % is unusually high for talent.

No, because fedora owns Narduzzi

Do other fan bases prop up ga tech as some sort of powerhouse as much as we do? Nowhere else in this country is ga tech as dominant as they are on the pantherlair.
Probably because we have seen Paul Johnson teams gouge us on the ground so often.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT