ADVERTISEMENT

Miller time!

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Things are working out perfectly for Pitt. Sean Miller will probably be fired this week and if there is no evidence that he knew what Book was doing (and there never is), he can sit out the next 2 seasons to "rehabilitate" himself then take over a Pitt program absolutely deaperate to win games and sell tickets. Assuming Miller is not charged with a crime, Pitt absolutely has to hire this guy. If the next few yeara go as bad as we think, we wont be in a position not to.

Things are working out perfectly for Pitt. Sean Miller will probably be fired this week and if there is no evidence that he knew what Book was doing (and there never is), he can sit out the next 2 seasons to "rehabilitate" himself then take over a Pitt program absolutely deaperate to win games and sell tickets. Assuming Miller is not charged with a crime, Pitt absolutely has to hire this guy. If the next few yeara go as bad as we think, we wont be in a position not to.
What took so long was going to post this for you

I would be very surprised if Miller was fired.
Really?
Not sure I agree.

Just got on this story so could be behind but if The Feds got the goods on his assistant then you can bet he's getting nailed on something....

Can Miller throw his hands up in the air and say "I'm Shocked"

I'm thinking he's on thin ice

Last edited:
Reactions: gary2
Arizona won't fire him until the situation is untenable because they're preseason number 1. They'll hold on until the last possible minute and keep trying to pin it all on Richardson going rogue.

Maybe, but if he is fired, Pitt has to do everything he can to bring him home. They can use the whole "prodigal son" angle....and probably get him dirt cheap because he'd be damaged goods.

If Miller knew it is going to likely come out. This is a federal investigation not the NCAA. I suspect lots of these assistants are going to be offered less time to talk and people love to talk. I hope this does a lot to clean up college basketball.

Also Pitt looks even dumber for firing a good clean coach (although I do wonder about Khem Birch). A lot of the better recruiting ACC coaches might not be here and Jamie's ethics might have been a plus.

H2P

If Miller knew it is going to likely come out. This is a federal investigation not the NCAA. I suspect lots of these assistants are going to be offered less time to talk and people love to talk. I hope this does a lot to clean up college basketball.

This is pretty much how I understand these federal charges to work is that there is a range based on cooperation. And that range is substantial, it's the difference between 6 years and 60 years. At least that's what I've been told, anyway.

Reactions: cabe23
As I posted in the other thread this is all going to come down to whether Book keeps quiet/takes the fall. If he flips/does a deal no way Milller comes out of this clean. And it’s not like ratting on drug dealers/mafia. Gonna be much easier to flip on a coach.

Really?
Not sure I agree.

Just got on this story so could be behind but if The Feds got the goods on his assistant and you can bet he getting nailed on something....

Can Miller throw his hands up in the air and say "I'm Shocked"

I'm thinking he's on thin ice

Agree completely. I don't know Book but speaking generally, these are assistant basketball coaches not hardened criminals. If they are offered the opportunity of no jail time if they flip on their HC's, they will be singing like Sinatra.

Reactions: paulbl99
As I posted in the other thread this is all going to come down to whether Book keeps quiet/takes the fall. If he flips/does a deal no way Milller comes out of this clean. And it’s not like ratting on drug dealers/mafia. Gonna be much easier to flip on a coach.

Exactly my thoughts - beat me to it by a few seconds.

There was some comment that I saw that said the bag men deal with assts because the HCs all make too much money to be so cavalier about it. That's not to say a douche like Pitino wasn't aware of impropriety, but I am willing to bet most HCs do put up a Chinese wall and tell assts to shut up for plausible deniability.

The only counterpoint to that is that these shoe company entanglements are too far-reaching and an obvious aspect of the CBB game today, so no decent HC can claim ignorance that kids are being persuaded due to branding. When Pitt switched to Nike almost 10 years ago, we had numerous conversations on here about how that would open us up to better kids. It's gross.

Would it be possible for you to take charge of the New On Campus Stadium posts, keep them up to date etc., in addition to the PITT is hiring Sean Miller posts? Thanks!

There was some comment that I saw that said the bag men deal with assts because the HCs all make too much money to be so cavalier about it. That's not to say a douche like Pitino wasn't aware of impropriety, but I am willing to bet most HCs do put up a Chinese wall and tell assts to shut up for plausible deniability.

The only counterpoint to that is that these shoe company entanglements are too far-reaching and an obvious aspect of the CBB game today, so no decent HC can claim ignorance that kids are being persuaded due to branding. When Pitt switched to Nike almost 10 years ago, we had numerous conversations on here about how that would open us up to better kids. It's gross.

This is exactly how it works!
Alum and others in various industries banking, car dealerships, etc work in a network far removed from the U, the head coach/staff, to entice wanted recruits to the U.
Cash only fund raisers ( like the Nitter Thon) are great ways to generate the much needed untraceable cash (fuel) , which is laundered through the banking system, and used by the network to attract recruits.
All of this is done under the cover of "darkness" keeping an arms length from the U sports programs so the coaches can say You're Kidding Me They Were Doing What I Had No Idea!

I've been working on a book for years entitled The Cash Economy of Small Towns which goes into how massive amounts of untracable cash are raised from Firehouse multi week Carnivals, Firehouse cash only social clubs, Town Fairs, Town Raffle ticket drawings, social clubs operating on a cash only basis, social clubs with illegal gambling machines, etc. and used /misued for all kinds of purposes!You'd be surprised where some of that cash goes???

Its taking time, it'll be good when I finish it, and its a
parallel and linked to the U sports issue!

Remember untraceable Cash is King!

Last edited:

Exactly. That is how Pitino dodged the worst of the hooker party charges. He flat out said that his former assistant was the only one that knew the truth and should come clean.

The big difference between Pitino's situation and Miller's is that this is strike one - albeit a big Federal one - for Miller. Louisville had to evaluate their response in context of past affairs, the resultant cover up and extortion, hooker parties, the past stuff at UK, and who knows what else that was kept in house. Arizona can accept a mea culpa from Sean and move on with plausible deniability.

Speaking about families:

One has to wonder if Richard Pitino, Archie Miller and Kevin Willard have anything lurking in their closets.
Pitt might have its pick of dozens of coaches in the ensuing weeks....word is the Feds are on a rampage throughout CBB

Of course that means the ones who avoid time.

Eventually they are all going to be fired no school president wants to be associated with the FBI looking around. None of them will be rehired the stench is to strong and Jurich was the only AD who hired scum and he's fired. You bring a really good point I wonder if Rick Jr and Kevin Willard are having a sleepiness nights. This is going to get worse every school and don't be surprised if we see some sudden surprise retirements.

Exactly. That is how Pitino dodged the worst of the hooker party charges. He flat out said that his former assistant was the only one that knew the truth and should come clean.

The big difference between Pitino's situation and Miller's is that this is strike one - albeit a big Federal one - for Miller. Louisville had to evaluate their response in context of past affairs, the resultant cover up and extortion, hooker parties, the past stuff at UK, and who knows what else that was kept in house. Arizona can accept a mea culpa from Sean and move on with plausible deniability.

Well no, it's not about PR. The question is whether these assistant coaches actually have material evidence to flip on their HCs. If I were a HC at a top-10 school and knew bad shit was going on, especially this stuff which is apparently criminal, I would want to put as many layers of protection in place as possible.

If Pitino says, "Do what you want, but I want absolutely nothing to do with it, and if I ever hear about it, I will be forced to take action against you," then perhaps he's negligent but I don't know what kind of case you could actually mount against him. If the crime is funneling $100K from Adidas, and Pitino literally knew nothing about it, what crime has he committed? RICO?

he won't be fired if he was in no way involved. If he gets fired he will be toxic and you would have to be a loon to want him.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Ben Howland is extremely fortunate he wasn't still at UCLA while this operation was going on.

No thanks.

Well no, it's not about PR. The question is whether these assistant coaches actually have material evidence to flip on their HCs. If I were a HC at a top-10 school and knew bad shit was going on, especially this stuff which is apparently criminal, I would want to put as many layers of protection in place as possible.

If Pitino says, "Do what you want, but I want absolutely nothing to do with it, and if I ever hear about it, I will be forced to take action against you," then perhaps he's negligent but I don't know what kind of case you could actually mount against him. If the crime is funneling $100K from Adidas, and Pitino literally knew nothing about it, what crime has he committed? RICO?

Obviously there has to be some material evidence if any HC is actually charged. If that is the case then it is a different story. But I'm sure they do keep the stuff at arms length by letting the assistants arrange it, so that might not be forthcoming. In UL's case, even if Pitino "knew nothing" they might have been tired of this stuff on the back of the sanctions that came from the hooker scandal that he also "knew nothing" about. Even if he can't be charged, that is a lot going on in the shadows of a program where he is supposed to be in charge.

Also Pitt looks even dumber for firing a good clean coach (although I do wonder about Khem Birch). A lot of the better recruiting ACC coaches might not be here and Jamie's ethics might have been a plus.

H2P

Pitt never fired Dixon.

Pitino's problem is that after Hookergate, he was expected to keep an eagle eye on his program. Even if he was unaware, he's going to get killed for not being aware. Miller has no track record of this, so if they can't tie it directly to him, he's safe. If he's involved, he'll get show cause on top of any legal problems, so no school will be able to hire him.

This is exactly how it works!
Alum and others in various industries banking, car dealerships, etc work in a network far removed from the U, the head coach/staff, to entice wanted recruits to the U.
Cash only fund raisers ( like the Nitter Thon) are great ways to generate the much needed untraceable cash (fuel) , which is laundered through the banking system, and used by the network to attract recruits.
All of this is done under the cover of "darkness" keeping an arms length from the U sports programs so the coaches can say You're Kidding Me They Were Doing What I Had No Idea!

I've been working on a book for years entitled The Cash Economy of Small Towns which goes into how massive amounts of untracable cash are raised from Firehouse multi week Carnivals, Firehouse cash only social clubs, Town Fairs, Town Raffle ticket drawings, social clubs operating on a cash only basis, social clubs with illegal gambling machines, etc. and used /misued for all kinds of purposes!You'd be surprised where some of that cash goes???

Its taking time, it'll be good when I finish it, and its a
parallel and linked to the U sports issue!

Remember untraceable Cash is King!
Sounds interesting. I'd sure like to read about it.

Pitt might have its pick of dozens of coaches in the ensuing weeks....word is the Feds are on a rampage throughout CBB

Of course that means the ones who avoid time.

Apparently they raided some Nike ECYBL office today. Not exactly sure what that means though.

Sounds interesting. I'd sure like to read about it.
It will be available in manuscript after January when Mrs Buffett and her best friend who is a Novelist and her partner who his Mrs Buffett's best friends agent and lawyer review it. We alway told her dont marry your agent but she did?
After that someone needs to pick it up or I need to pay a publisher to pick it up. Thats how stuff works in that industry!
Think about the small town economy and how cash makes it go but also creats a ton of corruption!

H2P
Pitt didn't fire the bum. He took another job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT