ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Games....

I watched a few games like that, watched the Pens lose at 3AM, bad enough staying up for that at all, but if your team loses, it really sucks.

So you want playoff overtimes to end sooner, but on the other hand you want regular season games to be played like the playoffs, where games can go on for hours.

🤪
I want playoffs to have THE SAME OT format as regular season. NFL can go to college OT and eliminate ties forever. NHL should do 3on3 for 5:00 then Shoot Out if needed.

And yet you totally agreed with someone who argued for the opposite.

Reading comprehension, not a strong suit.
NO, YOUR reading comprehension is messed up! He said "Do the same in the regular season as the playoffs." Which means, do the same for BOTH, which means for NHL 3on3 and shoot out. Or play until someone scores. My preference the regular season way. Just do it the same for both, if you want regular season games going until 3am fine.

Baseball Reference’s overall yearly stats are interesting to look at when discussing what’s “wrong” with the game.

Since the 1960 World Series is being discussed, we can compare 2019’s numbers (the last full regular season) to 1960. In today’s game, there are slightly more runs per game and .02 less hits per game. 1960 also had slightly more walks per game. Since “old school” baseball had more hits and walks, you would think today’s game would be faster since there’s less action on the bases. Additionally, the big one that stands out to me is that there are, on average, 3+ more strikeouts per game now than there was then. All the stats indicate that games should be much faster today.

That leads me to think that the root problem for the slower games is the “in between” action: time between pitches, batters, new pitchers, innings, etc. That’s why I would prefer reforms such as pitch counts before shift bans or other measures.

Also, another thought: @recruitsreadtheseboards we’ve talked about this before, but playing devil’s advocate to your OP: it seems like you’re asking for two different things. IMO, banning the shift, which would certainly increase the offensive production, would also lead to more men on base, thus longer innings. To me, “more offense” and “shorter games” are mutually exclusive and would net different results.

Just my opinion. Would like to hear what others think about this.
Again, the 1960 World Series game 7, 10-9 contest, last game of the season took 2 hours and 36 minutes. This game, was to determine the World Series. So every pitch and at bat would be scrutinized. The Giants and Phillies played a game last night, 2-0. Time? 3 Hours and 10 minutes. For a relatively inconsequential April game involving 2 runs. That's a problem. You would think a 10-9 game would take much longer than a 2-0 game, but it took a half hour less.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Baseball Reference’s overall yearly stats are interesting to look at when discussing what’s “wrong” with the game.

Since the 1960 World Series is being discussed, we can compare 2019’s numbers (the last full regular season) to 1960. In today’s game, there are slightly more runs per game and .02 less hits per game. 1960 also had slightly more walks per game. Since “old school” baseball had more hits and walks, you would think today’s game would be faster since there’s less action on the bases. Additionally, the big one that stands out to me is that there are, on average, 3+ more strikeouts per game now than there was then. All the stats indicate that games should be much faster today.

That leads me to think that the root problem for the slower games is the “in between” action: time between pitches, batters, new pitchers, innings, etc. That’s why I would prefer reforms such as pitch counts before shift bans or other measures.

Also, another thought: @recruitsreadtheseboards we’ve talked about this before, but playing devil’s advocate to your OP: it seems like you’re asking for two different things. IMO, banning the shift, which would certainly increase the offensive production, would also lead to more men on base, thus longer innings. To me, “more offense” and “shorter games” are mutually exclusive and would net different results.

Just my opinion. Would like to hear what others think about this.

What’s the difference in pitch counts? Total pitches thrown?

I personally like seeing the ball in play. Too much emphasis on the HR and strike out anymore.

What’s the difference in pitch counts? Total pitches thrown?

I personally like seeing the ball in play. Too much emphasis on the HR and strike out anymore.

Not a totally great analogy, but it is to the point that a HR and Strikeout are jumping the shark. What used to excite as a real crowd pleaser, is just old hat now. The rare time I watch baseball now, I get more excited seeing a baserunner get brought in from 1st base without a HR.

Not a totally great analogy, but it is to the point that a HR and Strikeout are jumping the shark. What used to excite as a real crowd pleaser, is just old hat now. The rare time I watch baseball now, I get more excited seeing a baserunner get brought in from 1st base without a HR.
What used to be fun was the base stealers, like you had Omar Moreno at first base, taking the big lead, then the pitcher trying to hold him close, then he runs eventually, out or safe. Now analytics tells us base stealing is too high risk, low reward, so not much of that anymore either I don't think?

Reactions: Mikefln
What used to be fun was the base stealers, like you had Omar Moreno at first base, taking the big lead, then the pitcher trying to hold him close, then he runs eventually, out or safe. Now analytics tells us base stealing is too high risk, low reward, so not much of that anymore either I don't think?

Base stealing was certainly one of the more fun aspects of watching a baseball game, like you said no matter if they were safe or out. There is soooo damn many aspects of baseball that used to be fundamentals that are truly lost art now. Base stealing, Hit and run, bunting. Hell I am not close to being a HS baseball player, but if they shifted on me where 70% of the players were on 1 side of the base, you better believe it that I would try to bunt it opposite direction.

Reactions: Pitt79
NO, YOUR reading comprehension is messed up! He said "Do the same in the regular season as the playoffs." Which means, do the same for BOTH, which means for NHL 3on3 and shoot out. Or play until someone scores. My preference the regular season way. Just do it the same for both, if you want regular season games going until 3am fine.

He didn't say "do the same thing in the playoffs that they do in the regular season", he said "do the same thing in the regular season that they do in the playoffs".

The fact that you don't understand that those are two different statements that mean two completely different things shows that your reading comprehension level isn't very high.

Or, well, it could mean something else, but I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

It's the same thing, do the same in both. The regular season game format should be the standard in the playoffs. NFL should go to college OT so there are never ties. WHO CARES if it's "real football"?

It's the same thing, do the same in both. The regular season game format should be the standard in the playoffs. NFL should go to college OT so there are never ties. WHO CARES if it's "real football"?
I didn't know ties were a problem in the NFL? There have been 9 ties since the current OT rules were implemented in 2011. So that is less than 1 a year.

I didn't know ties were a problem in the NFL? There have been 9 ties since the current OT rules were implemented in 2011. So that is less than 1 a year.
They aren't, but why have them, if you can use a FUN, ENTERTAINING option like College OT instead. It is JUST ENTERTAINMENT after all, who cares if it's "real football"?

Hey recruits, this afternoon's Pirate game completed in 2 hours 16 minutes.

Of course since it was the first game of a double header it was only a seven inning pseudo-game.

Hey recruits, this afternoon's Pirate game completed in 2 hours 16 minutes.

Of course since it was the first game of a double header it was only a seven inning pseudo-game.
Jesus.....I thought it went fast. I saw it was 3-2 in the 6th and then it was just a bit later when my phone beeped with the final score and I thought it was odd how quick it finished. I forgot they go 7 innings on the DH.

Turns out sharing the opinion is only appreciated by likewise conservative folks
Telling Ted Nugent to shut up and strum was not appreciated by the crowd of COVID ted

1st conservatives still make up a lot of people.
2nd people on both sides are starting to feel this way simply because sports are suppose to be a distraction.
3rd AND MOST IMPORTANTLY the games have changed and not as enjoyable as they used to be. Can't tell you how many diehard fans of yesteryear are watching it less and less every year. There have been numerous post stating that on this board over the years from countless posters. Hell this thread has tons of that type of talk in it.

1st conservatives still make up a lot of people.
2nd people on both sides are starting to feel this way simply because sports are suppose to be a distraction.
3rd AND MOST IMPORTANTLY the games have changed and not as enjoyable as they used to be. Can't tell you how many diehard fans of yesteryear are watching it less and less every year. There have been numerous post stating that on this board over the years from countless posters. Hell this thread has tons of that type of talk in it.
What’s primarily changed
Better entertainment options in your home with high quality TVs
Shut up and strum

What’s primarily changed
Shut up and strum
The games changed. This whole thread is about baseball and how it changed for the worst. It is all strike outs and HRs. There is only so much a person wants to see. Baseball fans want to see the ball be put into play.

Football fans are sick of replay, pass interference on almost every dropped pass. The constant celebrations after basic plays, not big plays but simple routine plays.

NBA I don't watch or talk about it with anyone, but I hear about lack of defense when I am with others and they are discussing it.

Why has no one mentioned this as the solution - 7 inning games!
Because baseball has to be nine innings. Two things I would eliminate if I was king: the three point line in basketball and the fourth inning in baseball. That would make baseball an eight inning game. Baby steps.

What’s primarily changed
Shut up and strum
Still the point is true. Sports is supposed to be entertainment and a distraction. I think it is pretty fair to say people on both sides of the aisle prefer to leave activism outside of the stadium. I am sorry, only small slivers of the population are flaming progressives and MAGA insurrectionists. The rest, just kind of want to live our lives.

The games changed. This whole thread is about baseball and how it changed for the worst. It is all strike outs and HRs. There is only so much a person wants to see. Baseball fans want to see the ball be put into play.

Football fans are sick of replay, pass interference on almost every dropped pass. The constant celebrations after basic plays, not big plays but simple routine plays.

NBA I don't watch or talk about it with anyone, but I hear about lack of defense when I am with others and they are discussing it.
Totally agree with replay in football specifically. It was implemented to overturn obvious egregious mistakes because the technology exists. It is now a tool, realizing almost any play is a 50/50 that some replay could reveal something to overturn it. Not what it was intended to do. And these catch rules, I think most of us are good if a guy makes a spectacular catch and the ball may have moved an inch or 2 as he went to the ground. So what. Did he drop it or catch it? Easy. In baseball, did the tag beat the runner? Yes or No? Not well the runner beat it, but in the act of the slide his pinky left the base for a millisecond so technically he's out. NO! That's not what replay is for. Same in hockey, was the player's skate on or off of the ice at the blue line....NO....offsides meant the guy had clearcut advantage because he was in the zone before the puck (the NHL actually admitted this rule was stupid and went back to it).......

Replay is meant to correct obvious mistakes, not parse pixels to find potential issues.

Reactions: Mikefln
Still the point is true. Sports is supposed to be entertainment and a distraction. I think it is pretty fair to say people on both sides of the aisle prefer to leave activism outside of the stadium. I am sorry, only small slivers of the population are flaming progressives and MAGA insurrectionists. The rest, just kind of want to live our lives.
As I noted it’s selective
I haven’t seen many conservatives lamenting the politics of military flyovers and national anthem performances the past few decades
Only when the activism misaligned with their preference did it become an issue

I get some of the right wing snowflakes look for outrage -
So a simple taking a respectful knee is distressing
Likewise a warmup T-shirt that has the audacity to suggest black lives matters totally ruins the entertainment for those same sensitive soles

there is no both sides here to this issue
The hyper nationalism of sports was ignored by the left

I haven’t seen many conservatives lamenting the politics of military flyovers and national anthem performances the past few decades

Likewise a warmup T-shirt that has the audacity to suggest black lives matters totally ruins the entertainment for those same sensitive soles

I have been very outspoken by those, and even those "reunions" between military fathers and kids, and the flyovers and even the anthem. Of course, I am also my own person and not beholden to any dogma like, well, you.

Totally agree with replay in football specifically. It was implemented to overturn obvious egregious mistakes because the technology exists. It is now a tool, realizing almost any play is a 50/50 that some replay could reveal something to overturn it. Not what it was intended to do. And these catch rules, I think most of us are good if a guy makes a spectacular catch and the ball may have moved an inch or 2 as he went to the ground. So what. Did he drop it or catch it? Easy. In baseball, did the tag beat the runner? Yes or No? Not well the runner beat it, but in the act of the slide his pinky left the base for a millisecond so technically he's out. NO! That's not what replay is for. Same in hockey, was the player's skate on or off of the ice at the blue line....NO....offsides meant the guy had clearcut advantage because he was in the zone before the puck (the NHL actually admitted this rule was stupid and went back to it).......

Replay is meant to correct obvious mistakes, not parse pixels to find potential issues.
And those announcers promote it almost every play... "Oh my! We may have to take another look at that? Did that ball move a half centimeter when he hit the ground?"

While the National Anthem has nothing to do with sports other than tradition, are you claiming the national anthem is partisan? If so, that is a weird take.

I have been very outspoken by those, and even those "reunions" between military fathers and kids, and the flyovers and even the anthem. Of course, I am also my own person and not beholden to any dogma like, well, you.
Flyovers are really cool. Probably wasteful spending, but really cool.

While the National Anthem has nothing to do with sports other than tradition, are you claiming the national anthem is partisan? If so, that is a weird take.
It seems to be, if one side is for something, the other side is immediately against. So it makes it partisan in there minds. Which is just a weird take.

Flyovers are really cool. Probably wasteful spending, but really cool.
They're definitely cool......but definitely a waste of money and to be honest, I get a bit uncomfortable on the Soviet "May Day" or North Korean displays of military might at a sporting event. To Souf's point, if you want to keep politics and issues out of sports, well that should apply to those type of activities also. Unless, you know right after 9/11 it was understandable.

Hell no, those games are just stupid, I set a limit of watching ONE OT, then going to bed, it's BS watching like 2.5 full hockey games, with all the players exhausted, hate that nonsense, do 5 minutes 3 on 3, then shootout if needed, move on.
You have a lot of passion about this.

Growing up baseball was #1 for me. I couldn't get enough of it. Watched every game I could in a 12-channel universe, collected cards, combed through box scores in the newspaper and generally worshipped the game. Now, I avoid baseball games and content at all costs. I would say it's likely that, as a 40-year old, I will go the rest of my life and not watch or attend another MLB game. Everything about the game, its owners and MLB as an organization is such a shell of what it used to be. Meanwhile, I love the NFL, college football and the NHL just as much now (if not more) as I did as a child.
I still love the game, but outside of the Pirates, I struggle to watch. And I only watch the Pirates out of habit. But I still love the game. I'm enjoying the conference networks and ESPN+ coverage of college baseball. The opportunity to watch guys like Kumar Rocker pitch on a regular basis is great. I also enjoy high school baseball, but likely because my sons play. And I prefer to go to the Akron minor league games vs Indians games.

I don't know what to do to "fix" the game, but I'm opposed to shrinking the strike zone or moving the mound back. A pitch timer and not allowing the batter to step out of the box would be good I think. I can't stand watching batters step out and unvelcro and then revelcro their batting gloves. I haven't worn batting gloves for 35+ years, but I don't remember them being so high maintenance. And that is creeping into the high school game now. Kids see the MLBers do it so they emulate them. Also, these batters go to the plate in armor basically. Then it take them a minute to take everything off when they walk or get a hit. I'm starting to see that in the high school game as well. Some kids are going up there with the shin/foot guard, elbow guard, and the Jeff Bagwell hand pad.

MLB, NBA, and soon the NFL will be unwatchable. #Stick to sports
Politics have always been part of sports.
Stupid Jackie Robinson causing distractions. Jesse Owens was a distraction too!

Politics have always been part of sports.

Stupid Jackie Robinson causing distractions. Jesse Owens was a distraction too!
But they are relevant Ski, to the sport, right? That's fine. They had accomplishments in their sports and are celebrated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT