ADVERTISEMENT

MLB

They have gone back and forth 5 times now and it will take another 2-3 counters to get a deal done. But who cares about a 60 game schedule or whatever they come up with. The sad thing is of all the major sports baseball is the one that should care most about fans since they are losing popularity with each passing year. They could have hammered out an agreement 3 weeks ago.

a baseball game shouldn't be longer than 2:15. it could be watchable under those circumstances. otherwise, don't care.

a baseball game shouldn't be longer than 2:15. it could be watchable under those circumstances. otherwise, don't care.

The one thing that baseball has over every major sport is the atmosphere of a summer day or night at the park. Especially at PNC. If fans can’t attend what is the point?

The one thing that baseball has over every major sport is the atmosphere of a summer day or night at the park. Especially at PNC. If fans can’t attend what is the point?
That's a good point.
I hope the season gets cancelled , making it more likely they lose more fans and MLB comes to the conclusion that major changes both economically and competitively need to happen to bring the fans back.
Football and Hockey will get more attention as well.
3 months and couting without sports now, this is getting old.

The ship has sailed, right now, the last thing people want to hear is the crying of the professional BB players about how few millions they will make as well as how the wealthy owners will lose money.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
They have gone back and forth 5 times now and it will take another 2-3 counters to get a deal done. But who cares about a 60 game schedule or whatever they come up with. The sad thing is of all the major sports baseball is the one that should care most about fans since they are losing popularity with each passing year. They could have hammered out an agreement 3 weeks ago.
These jerks better start to realize that having a season, any kind of season, is crucial to the future of this League. Having no season this year combined with certain labor strife next year could be very bad for both sides.

Billionaires vs. Millionaires. Entitled spoiled brats both.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they have a deal a while back and then the owners wanted to change it?

Nope. The Pirates are gonna suck this year (although right now I assume if there is no 2020 season they would keep the draft order the same, and I think there is a chance for them to do even worse this year).

A bunch of greedy millionaires vs billionaires going at it when many people are out of jobs that put food on the table. There is no guarentee they resume next year either.

Does anyone really care if they don’t have a season?
iu

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they have a deal a while back and then the owners wanted to change it?
They agreed to a shortened season with prorated salaries. The owners now say that was if fans were permitted. Now they want to pay the prorated salary plus further cuts. The players aren't buying. They are also arguing over length of season. At first the owners said 82. The players countered with 112 [which is ridiculous]. So the owners said 50 and now they are talking 72. They need to settle on a number of games played and agree to prorated salaries and get to playing.

They agreed to a shortened season with prorated salaries. The owners now say that was if fans were permitted. Now they want to pay the prorated salary plus further cuts. The players aren't buying. They are also arguing over length of season. At first the owners said 82. The players countered with 112 [which is ridiculous]. So the owners said 50 and now they are talking 72. They need to settle on a number of games played and agree to prorated salaries and get to playing.

Given the player's union history, I'm not surprised they are fighting back with some force.

I don't get the unions stance on no salary cap as it favors the mega stars where a cap forces teams to have to have many good but not necessarily mega stars so the salary for the no mega stars is less. They all vote and there are many more non mega stars than mega stars.

Given the player's union history, I'm not surprised they are fighting back with some force.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I don't get the unions stance on no salary cap as it favors the mega stars where a cap forces teams to have to have many good but not necessarily mega stars so the salary for the no mega stars is less. They all vote and there are many more non mega stars than mega stars.
I think that’s the strategy the owners were using when the submitted their initial proposal, similar to what the NFL owners did in 2011.

The majority of the cuts were coming from the top 100 or so contracts, while a lot of guys would pretty much get their guaranteed contract. They were banking on the majority voting for the deal instead of siding with their mega contract union members.

Did I read where the players are balking at 75% of their salaries for a season that was cut by 50%?

That's not going to win them many friends, or fans.

Players don't like salary caps because salary caps depress salaries for players. It really isn't any more complicated than that.

Although I guess it should be said that in general, players do not hold high salaries against the guys who make them. Because they want to make them too. There is no player in baseball who thinks that Mike Trout makes too much money. And I mean literally, none of them. Which is why the owners trying to pit the low salary guys versus the high salary guys was a stupid idea right from the get go.

Reactions: Ski11585
Did I read where the players are balking at 75% of their salaries for a season that was cut by 50%?

That's not going to win them many friends, or fans.

You may have read something like that, but you misunderstood it.

The players position is that if they play 50% of the season they should get 50% of their salaries. The owners latest proposal was that they would play 76 games and get paid 75% of 76 games salary. In other words, they would play 76 games and essentially get paid for 57 of them. And that would only be if there was no disruption to the playoffs. If the playoffs were disrupted then the players would have played 76 games and would essentially get paid for 38 of them.

You may have read something like that, but you misunderstood it.

The players position is that if they play 50% of the season they should get 50% of their salaries. The owners latest proposal was that they would play 76 games and get paid 75% of 76 games salary. In other words, they would play 76 games and essentially get paid for 57 of them. And that would only be if there was no disruption to the playoffs. If the playoffs were disrupted then the players would have played 76 games and would essentially get paid for 38 of them.

Well that’s just dumb.

they should be paid whatever % of the season they play with an equal % of the salary.

Relief pitching is out of hand even with the new rules. Each pitch is 9th inning of the World Series drama. Relievers are making too much money and it shows with the deliberate style on the mound.

Reactions: pitt90seven
I actually workout at the same place as 2 major leaguers and 3 minor leaguers players.The two major players don't know what's going on in negotiations.Their agents try to keep them informed and up to date.One of them isn't to excited about playing at this point but he's made way more money than the one that wants to play.They did say they could opt out of playing in 2020 and it will still count toward their retirement years but they won't get paid.The minor leaguers aren't getting plaid and two have been released.
By the way the old Pizzaboy can still hold his own with these guys in the batting cage!

They did say they could opt out of playing in 2020 and it will still count toward their retirement years but they won't get paid.

Obviously this could change before they come to an actual agreement, but what the latest player's offer was that if someone had a medical condition that the virus could exacerbate that they could decline to play but would still get paid their full salary (whatever they end up agreeing on) and they would get a full year of service time even though they did not play. Other players would be allowed to opt out, but if they did they would not get paid and would not accrue a year of service time.

Neither player has a medical condition that would allow them to get paid their salary if they didn't play.They said they could opt out because they feared the virus for themselves or their family.I though they said no pay in this scenario but it went toward their retirement time.I'll see them Friday and ask.They did say this stuff changes with each proposal.

Growing up, baseball was #1 for me by a mile. Now, I haven’t watched a pitch of an MLB game (World Series included) in about 8 years. It’s been a long, sad tumble for baseball and I could care less if it comes back at any level.

Also, I was at a local park watching a youth team practice. Kids spend 95% of the practice standing in one place. It never occurred to me as a kid, but now it’s obvious that baseball doesn’t even offer kids any opportunity to exercise compared to basically every other sport.

Reactions: Saboteur
I amhoping they don't play this year and don't return until there is a cap and a floor. The cap makes for a competitive league and a reasonable floor will force out a jackass like Nutsack as an owner. When he has to pony up a reasonable 110-125 million in salary every year, he will finally sell the Pirates. The current setup is so broken, I don't care if they ever come back. Their avarice is astounding on both sides. Other leagues have figured out how to make a good and competitive product. MLB can cease to exist tomorrow and I would be happy.

I amhoping they don't play this year and don't return until there is a cap and a floor. The cap makes for a competitive league and a reasonable floor will force out a jackass like Nutsack as an owner. When he has to pony up a reasonable 110-125 million in salary every year, he will finally sell the Pirates. The current setup is so broken, I don't care if they ever come back. Their avarice is astounding on both sides. Other leagues have figured out how to make a good and competitive product. MLB can cease to exist tomorrow and I would be happy.
Would you be clamoring for a salary cap if we had an owner like Cuban and a winning team?

Personally, I do. I’m a Pirates fan for better or worse and I’m holding out hope there’s a season.
I'm glad to see some still enjoy baseball. I'm hoping someday that the Pirates will have an owner that places a competitive team on the field. One can only hope. When the Pirates were doing really well in the 70's and early 90's it was alot of fun for the city of Pittsburgh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT