ADVERTISEMENT

Most Overrated vacation place you visited.

Best part of Florida is the "forgotten coast" on the gulf. East of Panama City to where the beaches end before the coast bends southward (around Alligator Point). Lots of great, quiet beaches and seafood. My favorite is St. George's Island with trips into Apalachicola.

We were at St. George's Island last week. I think I prefer the Seacrest/Rosemary Beach area since the beaches are a bit wider and have fewer shells but overall the Forgotten Coast is great.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
This may be a stretch considering the other posts but Paris. Spent a couple weeks there when my dad was a guest professor at one of the universities in the 90's. The entire place smelled of dog crap and the people were mostly jerks and I think French food is one of the most overrated things on earth.

Then again, I don't speak French and supposedly that makes a difference. There are lots of folks that would love the place and it wasn't all bad but it just didn't work for me personally.

Ironically, one of my favorite things about Paris was their Pizza Huts! They had a side of cheesy French garlic bread that was insanely good. Even the locals went nuts for it.

Maybe my expectations were too high but I thought the women were a HUGE disappointment. Hairy legs, armpits and BO just aren't my bag.

Man, I am surprised by this. I was in Paris at the height of anti-Americanism right before we invaded Iraq and thought both the city and the people were great. I visited a convent for a religious program - went to a Catholic high school - and the nuns there found out it was my 18th birthday so they very quickly baked a cake and sang happy birthday to me in French.

The architecture and museums were top notch. I wasn't even into art back then but obviously the Louvree and Orsay are fantastic. And as a future officer I was also very moved by Les Invalides.

Not wild about French food but I'm sure there are other things you can get if you're bored with it.

I loved Paris. I spoke enough French for them to see I cared. They were very nice to me. Had a great time. Would go back in a heartbeat.
Everyone in Paris speaks English - you just need to make a good faith effort
In more rural places- they speak plenty of other languages just not English

Man, I am surprised by this. I was in Paris at the height of anti-Americanism right before we invaded Iraq and thought both the city and the people were great. I visited a convent for a religious program - went to a Catholic high school - and the nuns there found out it was my 18th birthday so they very quickly baked a cake and sang happy birthday to me in French.

The architecture and museums were top notch. I wasn't even into art back then but obviously the Louvree and Orsay are fantastic. And as a future officer I was also very moved by Les Invalides.

Not wild about French food but I'm sure there are other things you can get if you're bored with it.
I have to assume he was joking around based on raving about Pizza Hut.
Because even here it’s trash pizza

Atl
Without a doubt, Atlantis. Way overpriced and half the resort was shut down. Partially because of COVID but also for maintenance. Also not a fan of Riviera de mayo (sp?).
Atlantis would be on my short list for this subject. As would Orlando and everything in it-Disney, Universal etc.

That's the key. I've been to Germany (Hamburg and Frankfurt), Italy (Milan and Rome), and France (Paris). I couldn't learn each language but I learned enough words to not appear American-arrogant - words for thank-you, please, etc. The word for bathroom was very important.
I’ve found that be the case when I’ve been in Europe as well. A little bit of effort is all they need to see.

Reactions: NCPitt and Dan1911
Hype and Detroit is an oxymoron tbh.
Yeah I raised an eyebrow at this. The topic was “overrated vacation destinations”. I would assume it would have to be “rated” as a vacation destination before it could be overrated.

I have to assume he was joking around based on raving about Pizza Hut.
Because even here it’s trash pizza
i have this desire, craving to go to an old fashioned PIzza hut, sit down and order a pan baked supreme. i remember those being insanely good back in the day but i'll admit, that was late 80s and i would have been 12-13 and not yet an expert on fine dining..

Im talking pizza hut restaurant though, seating, crushed ice in red plastic cup, ms pac man in lobby type of pizza hut.. I feel like im building this up though for a let down if i ever do this. but i love pizza man, you really have to muck up a pizza for me not to like it..

Everyone in Paris speaks English - you just need to make a good faith effort
In more rural places- they speak plenty of other languages just not English
That's pretty much the same in Montreal, if you make even a really bad attempt at French and they realize you're an American they're cool as hell and will speak in English.

Drove 5 hrs from PHX to Crand Canyon and I felt like Clark Griswold...we took a photo at the rim and then left. It was a long drive to get a glimpse and photo of a big hole in the ground.
Funny you say that. We did the same thing. Kids were real young. Those 2 foot fences around the look out areas scared the shit out of us parents. We were afraid we'd lose the kids in the big hole. Didn't even take photos we were so terrified of losing our kids. Beautiful sight though.

Reactions: BurghGuy68
That's pretty much the same in Montreal, if you make even a really bad attempt at French and they realize you're an American they're cool as hell and will speak in English.
why? other than being like Henri who tried to steal Woddy's girlfriend and keep up that arrogant persona, why be a prick about it?

but I'm sure there are other things you can get if you're bored with it.

You know, I’ve heard that too….

images

As someone whose employment took them to remote areas, I recommend getting away from the well worn path when traveling. Like, going to Myrtle is fine but take a trip down to Georgetown. Watched them unload a shrimp boat into the back of a restaurant and went in and got a table. Best shrimp I've ever eaten. Arcadia is cool but the best parts of Main are easily a couple hours from Bar Harbor. I can say the same for most areas. Depending on what you enjoy, don't go to the places everyone else does. Pick the smaller place that's close enough to do the day trip to the tourist area but far enough that you can relax. Better food, better accommodations, and you save a ton of money for the same experience.

For those who hate Vegas: I agree. Vegas is great because we don't gamble and party. It eats up people with bad habits. The outdoor scene here is great, but tourists mostly don't know. Hiking, climbing, skiing, petroglyphs, pictographs, hot springs, desert riding, etc. It is or was the suicide capital of the country. Not a place for people with monkeys on their backs.

i went to bermuda in high school. It was ridiculous (a good ridiculous). Stayed at an insane Marriott (Castle Harbor). Of course i was in high school with the folks paying the bills so lord knows what the hotel rates were for that place..

Cant tell you how cool bermuda was. Me and my older bro would jump on scooters, take the scuba gear and just drive out to any beach and go snorkel out without a care in the world. Crystal clear water, not crowded at all if you stay away from the port areas (hamilton mainly).

this was back in the early 90s though so no idea how or if it's changed much..

As someone whose employment took them to remote areas, I recommend getting away from the well worn path when traveling. Like, going to Myrtle is fine but take a trip down to Georgetown. Watched them unload a shrimp boat into the back of a restaurant and went in and got a table. Best shrimp I've ever eaten. Arcadia is cool but the best parts of Main are easily a couple hours from Bar Harbor. I can say the same for most areas. Depending on what you enjoy, don't go to the places everyone else does. Pick the smaller place that's close enough to do the day trip to the tourist area but far enough that you can relax. Better food, better accommodations, and you save a ton of money for the same experience.
Lot of truth to this. Venice Italy and Ireland were two strong examples for me. Get off the beaten path a bit and it’s a completely different experience.

You're on vacation, what's the problem?
yeah man, that's how i am. im on vacation and im having a good time. Ocean City MD, va beach, myrtle, stone harbor, count me as having a smile on my face. if the boardwalk is too cheesy for you (which it is) then go to the beach with the kids, crack a beer and F'in relax.. its vacation.

i have this desire, craving to go to an old fashioned PIzza hut, sit down and order a pan baked supreme. i remember those being insanely good back in the day but i'll admit, that was late 80s and i would have been 12-13 and not yet an expert on fine dining..

Im talking pizza hut restaurant though, seating, crushed ice in red plastic cup, ms pac man in lobby type of pizza hut.. I feel like im building this up though for a let down if i ever do this. but i love pizza man, you really have to muck up a pizza for me not to like it..
That was before Pizza Hut decided to follow the lead of Little Caesars and Dominos and make pizza's with the cheapest ingredients possible.

Lot of truth to this. Venice Italy and Ireland were two strong examples for me. Get off the beaten path a bit and it’s a completely different experience.
Europe is a bit tougher when you leave the cities because you are much more likely to run into non-English speakers but you can get by and the majority of people you encounter are very friendly and accommodating. I only suggest that you understand as much of the customs as possible before venturing out that way and don't be afraid to ask. I've always found that identifying myself as unfamiliar and looking for help with things as a great way to break down barriers and be open minded about their questions.

agree, I loved Paris. Food was better than Rome, which I thought made the effort to screw the tourists (there was an article awhile ago about Roman restaurants and tourists in the NY times). And as you said there are plenty of other options if French isn't your thing. In fact, you'd probably find more local french people eating at the neighborhood Moroccan joint ordering cous cous than you would at the bistro.

People were very friendly, only encountered one surly person and that was at a bank where I was having trouble with my ATM card. The bank teller obviously didn't want to bothered helping a tourist who spoke very bad french; luckily a local behind me was able to help me out.

Reactions: lilspainishflea

You are right. When I was in high school, Pizza Hut was the bomb. Of course there were still really good neighborhood joints, but "the Hut" was a nice night out for dates and buddies after little league games.

Disneyworld. But I will qualify to say that is in the heat of summer. We went once in early March probably 15 years ago and it was great. Low crowds, temps in the low 80's, low humidity.

Although I don't think there is an off peak with Disney anymore.
IMO, in order to enjoy Disney, you need to have a ton of $, go between October 1 and Feb 28 - but NOT Thanksgiving or Christmas, stay on property and have a well defined plan. Do that and it is a great vacation. Otherwise, it really kind of sucks.

IMO, in order to enjoy Disney, you need to have a ton of $, go between October 1 and Feb 28 - but NOT Thanksgiving or Christmas, stay on property and have a well defined plan. Do that and it is a great vacation. Otherwise, it really kind of sucks.

It is always entertaining in Epcot to have a beer and sit on a bench watching parents meltdown with kids in tow. Arguments seem to break out between mom and dad at Epcot more than any other park

It is always entertaining in Epcot to have a beer and sit on a bench watching parents meltdown with kids in tow. Arguments seem to break out between mom and dad at Epcot more than any other park
Epcot isn't very young kid friendly, although they've been working on changing that. Used to be that Nemo and the aquarium were the only attraction for young kids, unless you count the Donald Duck boat in the Mexico pyramid. Everything else was centered around drinking and shopping. Not things young children enjoy.

why? other than being like Henri who tried to steal Woddy's girlfriend and keep up that arrogant persona, why be a prick about it?
Because you’re in their country ?
How much effort do you make to help someone who can’t speak English ?
Bet not much

a little self effacing humor goes along way
“Mon francais est tres mauvais, parlez-vous anglais?

Drove 5 hrs from PHX to Crand Canyon and I felt like Clark Griswold...we took a photo at the rim and then left. It was a long drive to get a glimpse and photo of a big hole in the ground.

The Grand Canyon is way overrated. I guess it's all about personal taste, though. If someone likes to drive out into the middle of nowhere and see a huge hole in the ground with a bunch of rocks, then go for it. But I saw it once, yawned, looked it at for a few minutes and wondered what the big fuss was about. Never again.

Reactions: BurghGuy68
agree, I loved Paris. Food was better than Rome, which I thought made the effort to screw the tourists (there was an article awhile ago about Roman restaurants and tourists in the NY times). And as you said there are plenty of other options if French isn't your thing. In fact, you'd probably find more local french people eating at the neighborhood Moroccan joint ordering cous cous than you would at the bistro.

People were very friendly, only encountered one surly person and that was at a bank where I was having trouble with my ATM card. The bank teller obviously didn't want to bothered helping a tourist who spoke very bad french; luckily a local behind me was able to help me out.
The food in Paris that I found myself eating more than others was from small bakeries. I stopped for breakfast every day at a pastry shop just outside the hotel. Many other meals were quick bread-based foods. I’m not into long French dinners.

Man…I see enough domestic tranquility breakdowns under normal circumstances…no need to feed my brain with any more.

The Grand Canyon is way overrated. I guess it's all about personal taste, though. If someone likes to drive out into the middle of nowhere and see a huge hole in the ground with a bunch of rocks, then go for it. But I saw it once, yawned, looked it at for a few minutes and wondered what the big fuss was about. Never again.
This was literally us after driving 5 hours all stuffed into a minivan lol

Because you’re in their country ?
How much effort do you make to help someone who can’t speak English ?
Bet not much

a little self effacing humor goes along way
“Mon francais est tres mauvais, parlez-vous anglais?
Haha....I don't even need a translator to read your statement. My French is very bad, do you speak English?

My problem with my french...is I can read and understand much better than hearing it.

Reactions: Ski11585
WHen visiting france, you need to break the ice with the locals first and they'll like you more. I suggest a good joke. Here is one,

How do you get a Frenchman out of a bath tub? Throw in a bar of soap. Learn to say it in french and they'll appreciate it even more..

Reactions: FallingRun84
I prefer lesser resorts with less people. I like Vail better than Aspen and I like Powder horn better than either of those. Less of a "scene" and great skiing right off I-70. Locally, Utah ski resorts are all I need. Big Bear in Ca isn't worth the hassle. Tahoe is cool, but a 7-8 hour drive and can be stupid crowded.

I've been to whitefish in the summer. Nice.

Yesterday I was in Moab on the way back home from the summer house. Outside of crowded arches NP, had the roads and trails to ourselves. That's how I like my outdoor activities: uncrowded so we can enjoy the sights and not the people.
Moab is my favorite place but I want to strangle all the entitled aholes who sit for hours under delicate arch and ruin the view

Reactions: Dan1911
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT