ADVERTISEMENT

Most overseeded team in tournament?

Dayton is definitely in the running. Saint Mary’s was overseeded as a five. Kansas had no business as a four and were only seed that high because they’re Kansas.

Never in the history of modern EVERYTHING has a group of very intelligent people gotten so many things wrong with respect to selection and seeding. They should all be made to wear some sort of breast patch on their clothing for the next full year. A patch that says “ I was a tournament committee member and I am an asshole. “

Never in the history of modern EVERYTHING has a group of very intelligent people gotten so many things wrong with respect to selection and seeding. They should all be made to wear some sort of breast patch on their clothing for the next full year. A patch that says “ I was a tournament committee member and I am an asshole. “
Did they get it wrong, or is the criteria simply flawed?

Hard to argue a team in the round of 32 that will lose to a much better seed was overseeded.

I’d say the 6 and 5 seeds that lost are certainly more in question. Take St Mary’s. Grand Canyon wasn’t lucky, they’re better than them. Luckily I’ve watched enough WAC hoops this year to make a pretty penny on that.

Reactions: rockypanther
Has to be Dayton, right? I would have them as a 3 seed in the NIT.
They were probably a little overseeded. I would argue all the mediocre Big Ten, Big 12 and SEC teams were much more overseeded. The Big East and ACC got screwed but the teams that should have been left out were the mediocre teams in the overrated power 5 conference not the mid majors that are in the round of 32.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
Hard to argue a team in the round of 32 that will lose to a much better seed was overseeded.

I’d say the 6 and 5 seeds that lost are certainly more in question. Take St Mary’s. Grand Canyon wasn’t lucky, they’re better than them. Luckily I’ve watched enough WAC hoops this year to make a pretty penny on that.

They got a pretty good draw against a MWC team that probably wasn't very good, either. Them to be in the field is one thing, but a 7 seed?!

They could beat Arizona and I'll still be saying they didn't deserve to be seeded that high.

Wisconsin lost 9 of their last 15 games and got a 5 seed. Imagine a team losing that many games and trying to remain in the top 25 in the national polls in any sport.

And, they got embarrassed by James Madison.

Although the committee loved them because of their big non conference victories of Marquette and Virginia, SMU etc...

Another team that peaked in November when the games are meaningless, completely tanked at the back stretch of the season when games are most important, and lost in the first round in a blowout.

Eh. They also beat an overrated 10 seed to get there. San Diego St, Nothwestern and Utah St are other examples too.

But all of this said, Dayton is still only down 7 to Arizona at the half so…

Wisconsin lost 9 of their last 15 games and got a 5 seed. Imagine a team losing that many games and trying to remain in the top 25 in the national polls in any sport.

Although the committee loved them because of their big non conference victories of Marquette and Virginia, SMU etc...

Another team that peaked in November when the games are meaningless, completely tanked at the back stretch of the season when games are most important, and lost in the first round in a blowout.
Wisconsin and Kansas were both way overseeded based on November results. They both stunk down the stretch. Kansas should have lost to Samford and I'd be surprised if the Zags don't roll them today. The overseeded teams aren't the good teams in mid major leagues the overseeded teams are the garbage in the middle of the power fives who got rewarded for losing close games

Last edited:
Did they get it wrong, or is the criteria simply flawed?
Not sure it’s the criteria that are flawed, or the selective application and use/weighting of the criteria for selecting the at-large teams.

Also, not certain of what the intended mission of the committee is with regard to appropriate, or expected, diversity of the tournament field.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Not sure it’s the criteria that are flawed, or the selective application and use/weighting of the criteria for selecting the at-large teams.

Also, not certain of what the intended mission of the committee is with regard to appropriate, or expected, diversity of the tournament field.
I love the mid majors. My kids played at mid majors, but the mid majors don’t draw ratings and don’t pay the bills. And it’s always been said that the selection criteria was changed to tailor to those schools a bit. Diversity for the sake of diversity doesn’t always achieve what you want to achieve.

It’s a warped and flawed system.

I love the mid majors. My kids played at mid majors, but the mid majors don’t draw ratings and don’t pay the bills. And it’s always been said that the selection criteria was changed to tailor to those schools a bit. Diversity for the sake of diversity doesn’t always achieve what you want to achieve.

It’s a warped and flawed system.
No argument from me. The lack of transparency comes across as disingenuous.

Right there you have identified the problem with treating every game the same. Once you win a few games you very difficult to dislodge from the tournament. By January 90% of the field is locked in.
Also, that system doesn’t take into account that the coaches, players, fans and everyone involved with the sport believe that the conference games are more important than the OOC games. They should be considered more important by the selection committee too.

Wisconsin’s seeding this year was absurd. The biggest screw job regarding pairings was forcing Pitt as the #3 seed to play a road game against Wisky under Dixon.

Reactions: Black Panther
Wisconsin’s seeding this year was absurd. The biggest screw job regarding pairings was forcing Pitt as the #3 seed to play a road game against Wisky under Dixon.

Yes because Wisconsin should have been a 3/4 that season and Pitt a 2. When you eff up the seeds, you screw over multiple teams.

Dayton and FAU. Neither really deserved to be in.

Yea those 2 for sure. I didnt have FAU in and I had Dayton barely in. Was shocked they got a 7. If I told you last year, there was going to be a team who counted on Nate Santos and RMU's Enoch Cheeks to be 2 of their better players, you'd probably think it was RMU or a team of that level. But no, its Dayton. A team who had 0 wins against the field, finished 3rd in the A10, and couldn't even make the A10 semis. Had no business in this tournament

Another absurd pairing. Remember when #1 Tennessee and Candace Parker had to play #8 seed Pitt at the Pete?

Should have been better? First time I watched them play and that was no upset. JMU had better players. I was thinking how did Wisky get that good of a seed.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
You don’t know who Candace Parker is?
She is on the panel for men’s basketball games and they show her bio. She played basketball. I have no interest in watching women’s basketball when I can watch the NBA and College Men’s Basketball.

Wisconsin, not even close in my opinion. Said it before the tourney when projected as a six.

More than a few candidates, but I lean toward Virginia who should have lost in the NIT. I've seen better performances by 16 seeds. I watched that abomination and my eyes still hurt.

Yea but they were only underseed by 1 or 2 seed lines. Maybe should have been a 2 seed in NIT. Dayton was a 7 and should have been First Four or NIT

Yea but they were only underseed by 1 or 2 seed lines. Maybe should have been a 2 seed in NIT. Dayton was a 7 and should have been First Four or NIT
FAU was an 8 and should have been an 11. Garbage team, losing to a pretty bad, and shorthanded NW team

Shouldn’t have even been playing today. Self lied his way into the seed they got

That tells me quite a bit about the lack of due diligence the committee does.😏

Oh, and Hunter Dickinson? Plays defense like an inanimate object.
Dickinson blows. He is super soft just like our centers. He slow as well. He reminds me of an ever so slightly better GDG.

Dickinson blows. He is super soft just like our centers. He slow as well. He reminds me of an ever so slightly better GDG.

He's lazy, you could say he is playing injured because he is, but he is lazy. He loves to jog down the floor and watch his team get repeatedly beat in the transition game. Reminds me of Cockburn a few year back for Illinois. He was gasping for air so bad because of weak stamina Loyola ran them right out of the gym in the transition game.

If you want a huge air craft carrier for a center, that guy better get in shape or you better have an adequate backup that runs the floor and gets back on defense. This is type of stuff that used to drive me crazy with Terrell Brown at Pitt and Champagnie at Pitt. At least in Champs defense, he had a bad leg when he played at Pitt.

If we land for example that mammoth player from Charlotte, we got to get that guy in better shape before the season and get some weight off of him.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT