ADVERTISEMENT

MSU and Dantonio

Great post but I would counter, let's be honest, Pittsburgh compared to East Lansing IS Chicago, LA, NYC, etc.
I would agree with you for sure. I just don't think the quality of the city and lifestyle would keep Narduzzi or any coach in place over more money. First of all, despite the efforts of some to paint him as a Pittsburgher, he isn't one. This is not like Pat Fitzgerald wanting to live and coach in his hometown. Second, Narduzzi lived in East Lansing for 7 years and made almost a million a year as MSU DC. It's not like he doesn't know the area. He lived in a 8000 SF home in a gated community on a private golf club. It wasn't exactly slumming it. MSU is a big college town so there are plenty of people with money there, and most of the trappings that go with that.

This is not to say Pittsburgh and Narduzzi aren't a good demographic fit--I think they are. But if--really, when--MSU comes calling someday with a nice bag of money, I think he'll be very interested. Dantonio has made it an attractive job by building a solid program there.

Reactions: pitt-girl
Great post but I would counter, let's be honest, Pittsburgh compared to East Lansing IS Chicago, LA, NYC, etc.

I would choose Pitt over Michigan St any day. You can win easier in the crappy ACC COASTAL, and build a power house for years to come. MICHIGAN STATE is always going to be an afterthought. My opinion, we have a great school, time to start acting like it!

I reiterate from my previous post. Michigan state would be foolish to hire a defensive minded coach in this day and age of college football. Especially given the fact that their offense is and has always been the problem under Dantonio.

I would choose Pitt over Michigan St any day. You can win easier in the crappy ACC COASTAL, and build a power house for years to come. MICHIGAN STATE is always going to be an afterthought. My opinion, we have a great school, time to start acting like it!

I agree on the division but overall Michigan State is much closer to "power house" than Pitt. Dantonio has has five 11+ win seasons in the last 10 years. One was a 12 win year, one was a 13 win year. Four conference titles. Two cotton bowls, a rose Bowl, a playoff appearance, a final ranking of #3 in the country.

Pitt hasn't been NEAR that level since 1982. Most of us would be happy just to finish in the top 25 or win a camping bowl.

The correlation between football budget and wins is annoyingly strong.

Reactions: CJsE
Thanks for the clarification. Do you know if PITT athletics still needs to be supplemented by the University? Not sure since the huge increases of ACC $$. And hasn't the "budget" for football (and basketball to a lesser degree) also increased dramatically since then? @CrazyPaco has posted extensively about this before.

I ask because if that's still true, even "shifting" these donations is a win for the University. I know a few who have been blessed to donate large(er) amounts to specific sports. I guess we'll never know if someone who helps fund for example an endowed athletic scholarship, takes away from $$ available to pay coaches or better equipment.

But getting back to my original thoughts, I find it pathetic and predictable the excuses PITT fans create to justify their lack of financial support - even the very smallest amounts.

I had a discussion with someone recently about a subject very far removed from sports. They were critiquing the operations of a particular organization. After listening patiently, I told them that everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinions, but if you're not willing to actively participate (in this particular example volunteering), it's hard to take them seriously. Talking (especially COMPLAINING) is oh so easy. Being part of the SOLUTION often requires some sort of sacrifice. Many PITT fans clearly fall into the former.

Pitt's athletic department isn't anywhere near being self sufficient. ACC increases have been offset by increased spending.

Endowing scholarships takes money permanently off the athletic scholarship budget freeing it up for things like salaries. Pitt needs to grow its athletic endowment and it needs donations directly to programs. It just needs giving, period.

Pitt's athletic department isn't anywhere near being self sufficient. ACC increases have been offset by increased spending.

Endowing scholarships takes money permanently off the athletic scholarship budget freeing it up for things like salaries. Pitt needs to grow its athletic endowment and it needs donations directly to programs. It just needs giving, period.

Then they need to put a good product on the field. You are not going to get, at least at Pitt, many to just blindly give. The school has screwed over their fans for 3 decades, who is going to just throw money at bad product over and over again? Honestly

Pitt needs to show something first, build it they will come, this is a business after all, being honest

Thanks for the clarification. Do you know if PITT athletics still needs to be supplemented by the University? Not sure since the huge increases of ACC $$. And hasn't the "budget" for football (and basketball to a lesser degree) also increased dramatically since then? @CrazyPaco has posted extensively about this before.

I ask because if that's still true, even "shifting" these donations is a win for the University. I know a few who have been blessed to donate large(er) amounts to specific sports. I guess we'll never know if someone who helps fund for example an endowed athletic scholarship, takes away from $$ available to pay coaches or better equipment.

But getting back to my original thoughts, I find it pathetic and predictable the excuses PITT fans create to justify their lack of financial support - even the very smallest amounts.

I had a discussion with someone recently about a subject very far removed from sports. They were critiquing the operations of a particular organization. After listening patiently, I told them that everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinions, but if you're not willing to actively participate (in this particular example volunteering), it's hard to take them seriously. Talking (especially COMPLAINING) is oh so easy. Being part of the SOLUTION often requires some sort of sacrifice. Many PITT fans clearly fall into the former.

I am not sure if there is a level of support from the University for athletics now that we are this far along in the ACC.

Just a quick note - the one scenario you mentioned - someone donating to create an endowed fund - would not result in any shifting of budget support the current year (creating a new endowed fund is like one of those unbudgeted projects that only happens if someone donates). In future years, its very possible, actually probable, the amount of support from the University could be reduced by the amount of the draw from the endowed fund

An extra million or more a year is a ton to anyone his age who has a family and wants to accumulate as much wealth as possible before he retires or passes away.

Sure - if one's only goal is to accumulate as much wealth as possible then yes, jumping for an extra million a year is a no brainer.

My point was for someone who has earned as much as Narduzzi has in his career, and for someone who lives a very comfortable but not outlandish lifestyle, an extra million a year would mean little in terms of lifestyle now or in the future. At this point, someone who has earned what Narduzzi has in his career to date and is under contract for still at Pitt, unless they are a financial idiot, will have enough saved to live and enjoy during the rest of his lifetime and leave a big chunk for his kids

But people have different goals and motivations. So it is impossible to make a blanket statement on what someone may or may not do

Then they need to put a good product on the field. You are not going to get, at least at Pitt, many to just blindly give. The school has screwed over their fans for 3 decades, who is going to just throw money at bad product over and over again? Honestly

Pitt needs to show something first, build it they will come, this is a business after all, being honest
Except that when PITT did demonstrate sustained football success, 1975-1985, our donations were still terrible.

PITT fans don't donate. It's a fact. And something I'm sure keeps AD Lyke up at night. Would winning help? Sure - but it's just one cog in the machine.

Winning and stability help this. The donations will come, but it takes time. There are plenty of Pitt alumni willing to donate if there is something worth donating to. I have been donating ever since Panther Club started. Could I give more? Of course. When I see them sustain what appears to be the current momentum, the $$ will go up. I would like to see an AD, head football and basketball coach stay and/or leave a template to build on. AD? Haven’t seen one since I have followed Pitt ADs going back to Oval Jaynes and there wasn’t anyone before him worth learning about. I think Lyke could be the answer. Football? Hasn’t been one of sustained success since Majors to Sherrill and we know that was short-lived. Basketball? We had Howland to Dixon and then nothing until now hopefully. If the current foundation doesn’t get destroyed, there is hope. and the donations will come.

The other factor is the student experience and how that translates into donations when they start their careers. Pitt grads do well. If they remember their experiences positively, they will give back. And the alumni will too when they feel proud of the recognition that winning athletic programs bring to the university and their alumni.

Winning and stability help this. The donations will come, but it takes time. There are plenty of Pitt alumni willing to donate if there is something worth donating to. I have been donating ever since Panther Club started. Could I give more? Of course. When I see them sustain what appears to be the current momentum, the $$ will go up. I would like to see an AD, head football and basketball coach stay and/or leave a template to build on. AD? Haven’t seen one since I have followed Pitt ADs going back to Oval Jaynes and there wasn’t anyone before him worth learning about. I think Lyke could be the answer. Football? Hasn’t been one of sustained success since Majors to Sherrill and we know that was short-lived. Basketball? We had Howland to Dixon and then nothing until now hopefully. If the current foundation doesn’t get destroyed, there is hope. and the donations will come.

The other factor is the student experience and how that translates into donations when they start their careers. Pitt grads do well. If they remember their experiences positively, they will give back. And the alumni will too when they feel proud of the recognition that winning athletic programs bring to the university and their alumni.
THIS!

Well hope springs eternal.

We had one of the nations most stable and successful basketball programs for 12 years and I'm not sure how much that moved the needle for donations. You would also think that the students who attended during that time frame should have been very energized to give back.

Last edited:
Well hope springs eternal.

We had one of the nations most stable and successful baseball programs for 12 years and I'm not sure how much that moved the needle for donations. You would also think that the students who attended during that time frame should have been very energized to give back.

Because it’s baseball. The Athletic Department at any Division 1 program loses money fielding any team except for Men’s basketball and Football. They support the rest of the department financially because of ticket revenue and TV exposure. Not saying it is fair, but it is the reality.

Reactions: SisadaPITT
Because it’s baseball. The Athletic Department at any Division 1 program loses money fielding any team except for Men’s basketball and Football. They support the rest of the department financially because of ticket revenue and TV exposure. Not saying it is fair, but it is the reality.
Sorry - auto correct - I meant BASKETBALL.

They probably did only to see it blow up in their/our faces. I think donations overall are based on pride. If you are proud to be a part of it, you give. The pride factor is growing from the standpoint of academics as the university has grown in stature considerably more than athletics in the last 20 yrs. If athletics can match that growth in stature, the university should do well financially. I think/hope that’s the vision the current administration recognizes.

They probably did only to see it blow up in their/our faces. I think donations overall are based on pride. If you are proud to be a part of it, you give. The pride factor is growing from the standpoint of academics as the university has grown in stature considerably more than athletics in the last 20 yrs. If athletics can match that growth in stature, the university should do well financially. I think/hope that’s the vision the current administration recognizes.

Its not!

Sure - if one's only goal is to accumulate as much wealth as possible then yes, jumping for an extra million a year is a no brainer.

My point was for someone who has earned as much as Narduzzi has in his career, and for someone who lives a very comfortable but not outlandish lifestyle, an extra million a year would mean little in terms of lifestyle now or in the future. At this point, someone who has earned what Narduzzi has in his career to date and is under contract for still at Pitt, unless they are a financial idiot, will have enough saved to live and enjoy during the rest of his lifetime and leave a big chunk for his kids

But people have different goals and motivations. So it is impossible to make a blanket statement on what someone may or may not do
My point was for someone who has earned as much as Narduzzi has in his career, and for someone who lives a very comfortable but not outlandish lifestyle, an extra million a year would mean little in terms of lifestyle now or in the future.

That's a naive statement. If you're making $30 million-plus a year, an extra million might not be a big deal. When you're making $3 million, Uncle Sam and the state takes their pieces, your job security is only as good as your win-loss record, and you have a chance to increase your pay by 33% and get a new guaranteed contract, that's a very big deal to 99% of people. There are very few Pat Fitzgeralds out there.

Just watch what happens if/when MSU comes calling. That won't happen until Dantonio decides to retire, and that won't be this year and probably not next--but it's coming in the not so distant future.

FWIW, as a fan of MSU second only to Pitt, When Dantonio eventually hangs it up I hope MSU looks for someone younger and more offense-minded and forward-thinking than Narduzzi. But no question Dantonio will be pushing for his protege to succeed him.

My point was for someone who has earned as much as Narduzzi has in his career, and for someone who lives a very comfortable but not outlandish lifestyle, an extra million a year would mean little in terms of lifestyle now or in the future.

That's a naive statement. If you're making $30 million-plus a year, an extra million might not be a big deal. When you're making $3 million, Uncle Sam and the state takes their pieces, your job security is only as good as your win-loss record, and you have a chance to increase your pay by 33% and get a new guaranteed contract, that's a very big deal to 99% of people. There are very few Pat Fitzgeralds out there.

Just watch what happens if/when MSU comes calling. That won't happen until Dantonio decides to retire, and that won't be this year and probably not next--but it's coming in the not so distant future.

FWIW, as a fan of MSU second only to Pitt, When Dantonio eventually hangs it up I hope MSU looks for someone younger and more offense-minded and forward-thinking than Narduzzi. But no question Dantonio will be pushing for his protege to succeed him.

You apparently don't know much about finances. For someone who has earned over $20 million in his career - and given his contract and remaining years probably at least $35 million, the difference in lifestyle adding in an extra million a year for say 5 years is negligible to someone who lives a very comfortable but not outlandish lifestyle. As I said, a person in that situation already has a huge next egg to retire on (that has been invested and earning on its own) and leave a big chunk of change to their kids

You apparently don't know much about finances. For someone who has earned over $20 million in his career - and given his contract and remaining years probably at least $35 million, the difference in lifestyle adding in an extra million a year for say 5 years is negligible to someone who lives a very comfortable but not outlandish lifestyle. As I said, a person in that situation already has a huge next egg to retire on (that has been invested and earning on its own) and leave a big chunk of change to their kids
You apparently don’t know much about human nature. If your point is that Narduzzi wouldn’t leave Pitt for a better job that pays 25%-plus more, because he lives some kind of austere lifestyle-an assumption you’re making based on nothing—and he doesn’t “need” the extra money, you’re too clueless to argue with.

The guy was an assistant coach until he was 48 years old. He was making about 400k a year at MSU until 2014 before he got bumped to 900k. He left to be Pitt HC a year later. He started lower than 400k at MSU and earned raises as he went. He got paid considerably less than that 400k while DC at Cinci.

So in sum, you’re just dead ass wrong if you actually believe that an extra million a year wouldn’t turn his head. He is not a Pittsburgh native. He is not a Pitt alum. This job isn’t great. So what is it again that’s going to keep him here if a better program comes at him with a bigger bag of money?

the good news is, based on Narduzzis body of work to date, there’s likely only one program that fits that description that would even take a run at him, and their coach isn’t going anywhere for a while.

Reactions: RingDinger
You apparently don’t know much about human nature. If your point is that Narduzzi wouldn’t leave Pitt for a better job that pays 25%-plus more, because he lives some kind of austere lifestyle-an assumption you’re making based on nothing—and he doesn’t “need” the extra money, you’re too clueless to argue with.

The guy was an assistant coach until he was 48 years old. He was making about 400k a year at MSU until 2014 before he got bumped to 900k. He left to be Pitt HC a year later. He started lower than 400k at MSU and earned raises as he went. He got paid considerably less than that 400k while DC at Cinci.

So in sum, you’re just dead ass wrong if you actually believe that an extra million a year wouldn’t turn his head. He is not a Pittsburgh native. He is not a Pitt alum. This job isn’t great. So what is it again that’s going to keep him here if a better program comes at him with a bigger bag of money?

the good news is, based on Narduzzis body of work to date, there’s likely only one program that fits that description that would even take a run at him, and their coach isn’t going anywhere for a while.

I know a hell of a lot more than you. You lack reading comprehension. Some people will naturally jump at more money. But others will not. There is no blanket answer like you are saying. Not everyone worries about how much money they accumulate.

My point again was about how someone who has accumulated a certain level of wealth already, and live a very comfortable but not outlandish lifestyle, that an extra million a year would mean little in terms of their lifestyle now or in the future. It was not about living an austere lifestyle - just financial facts.

You were the one who said earlier in this thread

"Narduzzi lived in East Lansing for 7 years and made almost a million a year as MSU DC."

Now you changed your tune when your argument fell apart to

"He was making about 400k a year at MSU until 2014 before he got bumped to 900k."

So you can't even keep your facts and story straight.

I never argued anywhere Narduzzi would forgoe extra money to stay at Pitt. I never argued he wouldn't. I was pointing out that not everyone is driven by money and that the dollar amount is irrelevant in the discussion when you have earned as much as he has in his career, Does that mean he would stay for less - no one knows. But you are dead ass wrong saying he would leave for an extra million. You have no idea what he would do. Only he knows that

I know a hell of a lot more than you. You lack reading comprehension. Some people will naturally jump at more money. But others will not. There is no blanket answer like you are saying. Not everyone worries about how much money they accumulate.

My point again was about how someone who has accumulated a certain level of wealth already, and live a very comfortable but not outlandish lifestyle, that an extra million a year would mean little in terms of their lifestyle now or in the future. It was not about living an austere lifestyle - just financial facts.

You were the one who said earlier in this thread

"Narduzzi lived in East Lansing for 7 years and made almost a million a year as MSU DC."

Now you changed your tune when your argument fell apart to

"He was making about 400k a year at MSU until 2014 before he got bumped to 900k."

So you can't even keep your facts and story straight.

I never argued anywhere Narduzzi would forgoe extra money to stay at Pitt. I never argued he wouldn't. I was pointing out that not everyone is driven by money and that the dollar amount is irrelevant in the discussion when you have earned as much as he has in his career, Does that mean he would stay for less - no one knows. But you are dead ass wrong saying he would leave for an extra million. You have no idea what he would do. Only he knows that
the dollar amount is irrelevant in the discussion when you have earned as much as he has in his career,

You make that statement, and I’m the dumbass? You act like a few years of earning 2-3 mill equates to the accumulated wealth of the Sultan of Brunei.

Better job + extra $1 mill/new guaranteed contract = he gone.

It’s real simple. The only questions are will he get that opportunity at some point, and if so, when.

Question back at you: let’s say he’s perfectly content with what he’s making and he doesn’t think an extra million a year over several years would be a big deal. What makes you think he would stay at Pitt if the Michigan State job opened up?

the dollar amount is irrelevant in the discussion when you have earned as much as he has in his career,

You make that statement, and I’m the dumbass? You act like a few years of earning 2-3 mill equates to the accumulated wealth of the Sultan of Brunei.

Better job + extra $1 mill/new guaranteed contract = he gone.

It’s real simple. The only questions are will he get that opportunity at some point, and if so, when.

Question back at you: let’s say he’s perfectly content with what he’s making and he doesn’t think an extra million a year over several years would be a big deal. What makes you think he would stay at Pitt if the Michigan State job opened up?

You are obviously either illiterate or financially incompetent or both

First you ignore and don't even address your own misstatements about how much he earned at MSU.

Second, I never said he accumulated wealth like the Sultan of Brunei.

I will try to spell it out for you S L O W L Y - someone who has accumulated a certain level of wealth already, and live a very comfortable but not outlandish lifestyle, that an extra million a year would mean little in terms of their lifestyle now or in the future.

Narduzzi has been at Pitt 5 years and has 5 more years on his contract. His last reported total compensation on the Pitt 990 was $3.2 million. Let's assume that he earned less in the years before that and will earn more in the years after. So lets just use an average of $3 million a year. Which gets you to $30 million over the 10 years. That doesn't even count what he earned before Pitt. After taxes, that would be around $18 to $20 million

Let's assume he is going wild spending $500,000 a year - that still allows him to bank around $13 or $15 million - which invested conservatively can yield say 5% or another $700,000 a year. He is set for life - and my numbers and assumptions are quite conservative. The extra million a year would not change things other than giving him more dollars to eventually leave to his kids.

Again, not saying he would jump for the extra money or would pass on it - just that for someone at this income level it is not going to make any real financial difference other than putting more dollars away to leave to his kids in the future

As to Pitt vs Michigan State - no idea what he would think. No one does. Including you

Last edited:
Whatever the case may be, let's not be stupid and act like money doesn't matter to these guys. They jump for more of it all the time. They throw their names out there for other coaching positions in an effort to negotiate more money all the time (see: Jamie Dixon) . Schools scrap together funds to give coaches raises and keep them around all the time. Nobody knows what kind of lifestyle any of these guys are living, but money matters. Case closed.

Whatever the case may be, let's not be stupid and act like money doesn't matter to these guys. They jump for more of it all the time. They throw their names out there for other coaching positions in an effort to negotiate more money all the time (see: Jamie Dixon) . Schools scrap together funds to give coaches raises and keep them around all the time. Nobody knows what kind of lifestyle any of these guys are living, but money matters. Case closed.

I think Whipple is the defacto HC

For many it does.
For others it does not as much as you foolishly think otherwise

State tax rate has become an increasing consideration for pro athletes when deciding where to play, I assume it’s a major factor for many coaches as well.

For many it does.
For others it does not as much as you foolishly think otherwise

Is that what I said, or did I say that money matters? Weird that Narduzzi accepted a pay raise when he signed that extension, though. Since it doesn't matter to him, you'd think he would want to set that aside for facility upgrades and assistants.

Is that what I said, or did I say that money matters? Weird that Narduzzi accepted a pay raise when he signed that extension, though. Since it doesn't matter to him, you'd think he would want to set that aside for facility upgrades and assistants.

Do you have a problem comprehending what I wrote. You said for these guys, money matters. My response was:

For many it does.
For others it does not

There is no absolute that it always matters or never does. There is a mix

Do you have a problem comprehending what I wrote. You said for these guys, money matters. My response was:

For many it does.
For others it does not

There is no absolute that it always matters or never does. There is a mix

It matters to EVERYONE and then a chance to win big, those are facts.....

- I don't think any of us know what HCPN would do if offered the Michigan State head coaching position in the next few years.

- Money does matter to a great majority of these coaches and an extra million a year would likely be a significant factor.

- If Narduzzi continues with approximately the same winning % at Pitt in the future that he has had to date, I tend to doubt that he would be the top choice of Michigan State for it's next head coach and if he was and accepted the job at MSU, it wouldn't be a program crashing loss for Pitt under those circumstances ..... I would actually look at it as an opportunity for us.

- If Narduzzi starts winning more and more at Pitt as we all hope and keeps winning the Coastal and playing for ACC Championships, then Pitt is likely to increase his salary and make it harder for him to leave ..... if he leaves under these circumstances, then Pitt will be a pretty desirable location for another good coach to land ..... in any event, I'm not worried about any of this, because whatever happens, Pitt will survive.

- Lastly, as things stand now, Narduzzi's chances of playing for a P5 conference championship are greater at Pitt than at Michigan State.

- I don't think any of us know what HCPN would do if offered the Michigan State head coaching position in the next few years.

- Money does matter to a great majority of these coaches and an extra million a year would likely be a significant factor.

- If Narduzzi continues with approximately the same winning % at Pitt in the future that he has had to date, I tend to doubt that he would be the top choice of Michigan State for it's next head coach and if he was and accepted the job at MSU, it wouldn't be a program crashing loss for Pitt under those circumstances ..... I would actually look at it as an opportunity for us.

- If Narduzzi starts winning more and more at Pitt as we all hope and keeps winning the Coastal and playing for ACC Championships, then Pitt is likely to increase his salary and make it harder for him to leave ..... if he leaves under these circumstances, then Pitt will be a pretty desirable location for another good coach to land ..... in any event, I'm not worried about any of this, because whatever happens, Pitt will survive.

- Lastly, as things stand now, Narduzzi's chances of playing for a P5 conference championship are greater at Pitt than at Michigan State.

great post. Just as good as your hockey posts

I’d simply add that the things that motivate coaches are unique to the individual coach. You see more guys passing on big money opportunities because they realize the support they have great support the school they currently are at and the bar isn’t set unrealistically high. The grass isn’t always greener type of thing

Given how even schools like Pitt are paying more factors such as the relationship and support of the admin, expectations, and commitment to winning are often bigger factors for guys like duzz who is not an elite coach with a huge ego

I also agree that Duzz has the program on a path to being consistently competitive with a special year every 5 year’s or so. Next year looks to be that year That may be the koolaide speaking but I think we are seeing evidence of that this year

Reactions: superstein61a
Except that when PITT did demonstrate sustained football success, 1975-1985, our donations were still terrible.

PITT fans don't donate. It's a fact. And something I'm sure keeps AD Lyke up at night. Would winning help? Sure - but it's just one cog in the machine.

Who would donate with confidence to Pitt after the rotating clusters and poor decisions the admin makes continually. Pitt needs a string of competent leaders for 20 years before thing turn around on the donation front.

Who would donate with confidence to Pitt after the rotating clusters and poor decisions the admin makes continually. Pitt needs a string of competent leaders for 20 years before thing turn around on the donation front.
OK - see ya in 20!!!!

It matters to EVERYONE and then a chance to win big, those are facts.....

Nope it doesn't matter to everyone - no matter how much you try shouting it.

There are people out there who are not driven 100% by money

But again, you are missing the point

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT