ADVERTISEMENT

$MU: HOLY CRAP

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
They dont call it Southern Millionaires University for nothing. If FSU and Clemson stay in the league, they will probably be Top 3 competing with them very very shortly.

As i correctly pointed out in another thread, SMU is the only school added to be truly excited about.

Having lived in Dallas and conducted business in the city (including with many SMU alums) the heavy-hitter SMU alums are the stereotypical JR Ewing-looking, Cadillac-driving, 3-piece suit wearing, oil and big tech rich guys with money to burn. They all love football and want more than anything to be like UT, A&M and TCU. I think they will be a massive player in CFB within 5 years. Top 10. If Baylor and TCU can do it, SMU sure as hell can.

It's Texas and Texas A&M in the Lone Star State.... Everyone else is second fiddle... And they'll see to it, it stays that way....🤠🌵⭐

Maybe. But SMU has sucked since the Death Penalty because they were left out of the B12. If they are in a P4 and have the American version of Saudi oil money, maybe they start winning like the Pony Excess days. Really, all it takes is money.

Their fans are happy and excited. They are finally out of purgatory after idk how many decades. No surprise.
Someone start a thread how SMU will be the next powerhouse to say I told you all.

SMU is pretty small potatoes compared to what they’re up against.

Comes down to money though. If Elon Musk wanted Western Kentucky to win a Natty, they would. SMU doesnt have THAT kind of money but if they are going to spend like a Top 10 program, and I dont know that they can sustain that type of spending, then they will be a Top 10 program.

Comes down to money though. If Elon Musk wanted Western Kentucky to win a Natty, they would. SMU doesnt have THAT kind of money but if they are going to spend like a Top 10 program, and I dont know that they can sustain that type of spending, then they will be a Top 10 program.
They don't have anyone like that or they wouldn't have been stuck in purgatory for forty years.

They don't have anyone like that or they wouldn't have been stuck in purgatory for forty years.

Yea, they dont have Elon Musk but maybe these oil tycoons have enough money to make it happen. I dont know.

2 things on why they sucked for 30 years:

1. Mid-major conference - always going to be difficult to recruit

2. Were these tycoons spending like this in the CUSA and AAC days? My guess is they probably felt it was a lost cause and gave some but not enough.

The other HUGE difference is you can buy players now. You couldn't do that before, legally.

Reactions: 303vND
SMU may not be as big as UT or A&M but one thing for certain and two things for sure...THEY HAVE MONEY!!

And that's all that matters. If they can pay players at a level of Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, etc, then they will have similar results. When you think about it, this new professional college football model came at the perfect time for them. They were at the top of college football paying players in the 80s and got nailed. Now they can do it legally.

Rather than start another SMU thread I thought I would add this to the thread.

50 Yardline upper deck football season tx

SMU - $225 section 224
Pitt - $320 section 520

Hmmm

SMU may not be as big as UT or A&M but one thing for certain and two things for sure...THEY HAVE MONEY!!
They don't have A&M money and they sure don't have UT money. This isn't some vast network of donors that's been held down by rules. It's silly to think rules have held any of the blue bloods back. This is like living in a rural suburb of PGH and a doctor buys the farm down the road and builds a huge house. You and your neighbors think, wow, this guy is rich. But the reality is, he lives there because he couldn't afford to live in the really nice suburb.

Yea, they dont have Elon Musk but maybe these oil tycoons have enough money to make it happen. I dont know.

2 things on why they sucked for 30 years:

1. Mid-major conference - always going to be difficult to recruit

2. Were these tycoons spending like this in the CUSA and AAC days? My guess is they probably felt it was a lost cause and gave some but not enough.

The other HUGE difference is you can buy players now. You couldn't do that before, legally.
Haha. Legally. Like that ever mattered. Why the heck do you think SMU was the school that got pinched and nobody else ever got a sniff?

Haha. Legally. Like that ever mattered. Why the heck do you think SMU was the school that got pinched and nobody else ever got a sniff?

I dont believe the SMU donors tried to buy players to play in CUSA after the Death Penalty if that's what you are suggesting.

They don't have A&M money and they sure don't have UT money. This isn't some vast network of donors that's been held down by rules. It's silly to think rules have held any of the blue bloods back. This is like living in a rural suburb of PGH and a doctor buys the farm down the road and builds a huge house. You and your neighbors think, wow, this guy is rich. But the reality is, he lives there because he couldn't afford to live in the really nice suburb.
Have you ever been to SMU or around their campus? They have enough money!

Have you ever been to SMU or around their campus? They have enough money!

I mean it just takes a couple billionaires, which it seems like they have. It would be nice if they had a bunch of fans donating $500 here, $1000 here like UT and A&M but that isnt as necessary if you have billionaire oil tycoons.

Are you suggesting that massive donors just sat by for all that time and did nothing to elevate the school out of CUSA?

For the most part, yes. Im sure they spent but nothing substantial, knowing it was a lost cause. Also, remember, they couldnt buy players. Im sure there were locker room upgrades and luxury suite upgrades but those don't equal wins. Spending on players equals wins. Now they can directly fund player salaries.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
For the most part, yes. Im sure they spent but nothing substantial, knowing it was a lost cause. Also, remember, they couldnt buy players. Im sure there were locker room upgrades and luxury suite upgrades but those don't equal wins. Spending on players equals wins. Now they can directly fund player salaries.
Why was it a lost cause? Why couldn't they buy players when every other school down south was doing it pretty openly? What part of all of this is so difficult to comprehend? Every school in Texas has a "scandal" revealed right around the time they rise in the polls.

Why was it a lost cause? Why couldn't they buy players when every other school down south was doing it pretty openly? What part of all of this is so difficult to comprehend? Every school in Texas has a "scandal" revealed right around the time they rise in the polls.

Because I dont believe those guys trued to buy any players after the Death Penalty. They got the harshest penalty ever, were relegated to the WAC then CUSA then the AAC so I feel they said eff it, we aren't buying players anymore. You feel they tried and failed to buy players after the Death Penalty. We disagree.

Are you suggesting that massive donors just sat by for all that time and did nothing to elevate the school out of CUSA?
That's exactly what they did - now that they are in a P5, they will invest the money necessary to compete.

Because I dont believe those guys trued to buy any players after the Death Penalty. They got the harshest penalty ever, were relegated to the WAC then CUSA then the AAC so I feel they said eff it, we aren't buying players anymore. You feel they tried and failed to buy players after the Death Penalty. We disagree.
So these ultra rich dudes were scared. Gotcha.

They just waited forty years? Come on.
They were on death row - why spend money when you're not going anywhere. Secondly, by the time they started to turn it around - they understood that they would be under a microscope. They were made a scapegoat and it impacted them...for 40 years!

Edit: To add to that - they raised over a $150MM since the announcement of them going to the ACC - that's all you need to know about their donation patterns and capabilities.

Last edited:
So these ultra rich dudes were scared. Gotcha.

Not scared. More like, what's the point. They got put on the Death Penalty and were in the WAC then CUSA. The second they landed in a Top 10, they would have been investigated again and put on the Death Penalty again. I dont know why its so hard to believe that the tycoons sat out the last 30 years, maybe buying some weightrooms and lockers here and there. But they really couldn't cheat out of the WAC or CUSA. Now they can cheat legally.

Reactions: cashisking884
Rather than start another SMU thread I thought I would add this to the thread.

50 Yardline upper deck football season tx

SMU - $225 section 224
Pitt - $320 section 520

Hmmm

That's not right. Or even close to it. First of all, section 520 at Acrisure isn't at the 50 yard line, it's in the end zone. Secondly, that seat wouldn't cost anywhere close to $320 for one ticket. And thirdly, part of the reason for that is that section 520 is actually a part of the visiting team ticket allotment, so you couldn't even buy that as a season ticket.

If you want a real comparison, my season tickets are at around the 40 yard line in the first row of the upper deck. My tickets cost $260 each, with a required donation of $115 per seat (the first time it had ever been anything other than $100 since the building opened). So total cost of one season ticket, $375.

That seat in section 224 at SMU is, indeed, $225. It also includes a mandatory $225 per seat donation. So total cost of one season ticket, $450.

Or in other words, for those kinds of seats SMU is already charging people 20% more than what Pitt is.

Oh, and another thing. That seat in section 224 at SMU is on the 50 yard line on the visitors side. To sit in the equivalent section on the home side, section 204, would cost you $300 for the ticket and a $450 donation. So a total of $750 for one season ticket.

Or in other words, exactly double what Pitt charges.

Pitt tickets are insanely cheap. There are several reasons for that, but one of them is because Pitt fans, generally speaking, are insanely cheap.

Feels like every time I turn around I hear about someone in athletics connected to SMU. The most recent ones were reading the KC Chief's Hunt Family's daughter going to SMU. The patriarch Lamar was a graduate. Then it was this past weekend watching the US Open and Bryson DeChambeau who is an alum.

I literally have no idea how much money they have vs. UT or T A&M, but apparently SMU have their own heavy hitters.

We should be so lucky.

That's not right. Or even close to it. First of all, section 520 at Acrisure isn't at the 50 yard line, it's in the end zone. Secondly, that seat wouldn't cost anywhere close to $320 for one ticket. And thirdly, part of the reason for that is that section 520 is actually a part of the visiting team ticket allotment, so you couldn't even buy that as a season ticket.

If you want a real comparison, my season tickets are at around the 40 yard line in the first row of the upper deck. My tickets cost $260 each, with a required donation of $115 per seat (the first time it had ever been anything other than $100 since the building opened). So total cost of one season ticket, $375.

That seat in section 224 at SMU is, indeed, $225. It also includes a mandatory $225 per seat donation. So total cost of one season ticket, $450.

Or in other words, for those kinds of seats SMU is already charging people 20% more than what Pitt is.

Sorry 511

Wanted to pick like tx location for comparison of season tx

Feels like every time I turn around I hear about someone in athletics connected to SMU. The most recent ones were reading the KC Chief's Hunt Family's daughter going to SMU. The patriarch Lamar was a graduate. Then it was this past weekend watching the US Open and Bryson DeChambeau who is an alum.

I literally have no idea how much money they have vs. UT or T A&M, but apparently SMU have their own heavy hitters.

We should be so lucky.

George W Bush didnt go to SMU but his Presidential Library is there. I didnt realize that until they joined the ACC. He is obviously somewhat of an SMU fan. During their initial press conference, that JR Ewing guy said he got a congratulatory phone call from W.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT