ADVERTISEMENT

My reaction to the presser

UPitt '89

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
Stallings: Did better than I expected. Handled tough questions and didn't shy away from them.

Media: I was impressed. These are the kinds of questions they should have been asking, especially of Barnes. I didn't think they had it in them. VERY VERY WELL DONE.

Barnes: Pathetic. I can't believe how differently I feel about him than I did 72 hours ago. He was in over his head and seemed like he wanted to be anywhere but there. I didn't think it was possible for an AD to look worse than Smiley at something like this, but he did. He seemed dishonest, uncomfortable, and smug. I think he knows now, if he didn't before, how bad he has looked the past 3 days.

Stallings: Did better than I expected. Handled tough questions and didn't shy away from them.

Media: I was impressed. These are the kinds of questions they should have been asking, especially of Barnes. I didn't think they had it in them. VERY VERY WELL DONE.

Barnes: Pathetic. I can't believe how differently I feel about him than I did 72 hours ago. He was in over his head and seemed like he wanted to be anywhere but there. I didn't think it was possible for an AD to look worse than Smiley at something like this, but he did. He seemed dishonest, uncomfortable, and smug. I think he knows now, if he didn't before, how bad he has looked the past 3 days.

-Agree 100%

-Agree 100%
Barnes did not come off as likeable, but did admit at the beginning that he had heard the criticism and it was his job to be "above the noise". In other words, he hears the criticism of the hire, but doesn't care what people think.

Barnes did not come off as likeable, but did admit at the beginning that he had heard the criticism and it was his job to be "above the noise". In other words, he hears the criticism of the hire, but doesn't care what people think.
Maybe he's in the wrong business if you don't think what fans and boosters think matters to an AD?

A previous AD was universally hated for having a similar approach.

Smug Scott performed badly today.

No real coaches wanted this job. Hmmm. I said earlier and will say it again, he will not be here long. I'm sure his buddy Todd Turner can help him him with his next gig.

Reactions: PittPoker

This is spot on.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Stallings: credible
Media: idiots
Barnes: smug
I agree with this^^^^

I thought the Pittsburgh media was awful today! Barnes deserves all of the harsh criticism not the new coach during his introduction to Pittsburgh. I felt really bad for Stallings and his family. He didn't deserve that at all. The local media here would never attack Mike Tomlin or the Penguins and Pirates head coaches or executives like that. Only Pitt would receive such unprofessional journalistic treatment in this town. Shame on them!

This is spot on.
When you consider the pathetic hatchet job by a number of the media members, any assessment that states 'very very well done' in capital letters regarding said media, then UPitt 89's assessment is far from 'spot on'.

It seems like a good number of our favorite local Pittsburgh media gets are despised because of their agendas. I'd say those agendas came out in full force during the Q&A session.

I wasn't at the presser. Heard it on the radio. What did Barnes do that was smug.
Thanks

Stallings: Did well with his initial comments. Came across reasonably well. Q&A did not go as well. Stallings must have said um about 20 times. Seemed like he was completely unprepared for how tough the media was going to be. Stepped in it at least once when he alluded to being contacted about the job before Jamie was gone. Didn't really handle the Jeter question very well either.

Media: They asked the hard questions that they should have asked. They left a few on the floor like "Given the impact that social media has on fans and recruits, what do you think about the reaction you've seen to yoru hiring?" One little thing that really struck me....every reporter who asked a question did not open with a "Welcome to Pittsburgh". I realize that this is not the girl scouts, but some human courtesy would have been nice.

Barnes: Came across completely defensive. All he needed was a bad plaid sports coat and you would swear the guy was trying to sell you a 1972 AMC Pacer.

All in all, there were some testy moments, but I thought Stallings came across better then I expected given the circumstances.

When it comes to covering Pitt, it's like the local media is in a contest to see who can be Mister Media Tough Guy and ask the toughest question, while in reality they are bunch of nerds with no more insight some of the posters on this message board.

I thought they were pretty unprofessional today, with the exceptions of PZ and Jerry Dipaola.

I didn't think Barnes was terrible, but I'm sure he and Stallings would both like the chance to do-over a few answers, just as most people would in that confrontational situation.

Go Pitt.

When it comes to covering Pitt, it's like the local media is in a contest to see who can be Mister Media Tough Guy and ask the toughest question, while in reality they are bunch of nerds with no more insight some of the posters on this message board.

I thought they were pretty unprofessional today, with the exceptions of PZ and Jerry Dipaola.

I didn't think Barnes was terrible, but I'm sure he and Stallings would both like the chance to do-over a few answers, just as most people would in that confrontational situation.

Go Pitt.

-There wasnt a single question that was out of line. Only the choice of words.

?yeah....I know people are fixated on the "Come Clean" beginning..
but DK asked a legit question about the potential conflict of interest with Turner, and that Narduzzi was a successful hire without using a search firm.

Barnes, muffed by saying he understood there was one. He was wrong, it was Juhl, Cochran, Sanft, and Gallagher...and they did the most credible hire and presser in a long time.

I think Barnes knows the honeymoon is over, and it's a big step up from Utah State to a pro-sports media city like Pittsburgh.

Hopefully, everyone learns and gets better as a result.

Go Pitt.
Wasn't Zeise the one that said to Barnes you hired a guy with a credentials well short of Jamie. Yeah, that was real professional of someone to do, direct a question at one individual that is completely trashing another individual right there in the room. Real professional.

Reactions: NTOP

Go Pitt.
Major, I'm with you.
I thought the press was unprofessional in a couple of ways.

One, they asked accusatory questions of the new coach, who hasn't done anything wrong yet. They may have wanted to express some anger for what Barnes did, but none of it should've been aimed at Stallings.

Two, they shouldn't have had the angry edge to the questions even when addressing Barnes. They're journalists first, and if they're also fans, they should hide that in this setting. Now, I'm not saying that the focus of their questions were off base, just the tone. If you want to address fans point of view and say that fans had an issue with the use of the search firm, and spell that out, fine. But for them to immediately take an accusatory tone, when all they had was a conspiracy theory backed by very little, well that is just wrong. It appears that Barnes called Stallings before engaging with the search firm, so the idea that Turner led Barnes down a path for conspiratory reasons is not likely true. A journalist can ask, and probe deeper with tough questions, but the accusatory tone is just wrong.

I'm not crazy about the hire either, but Barnes isn't a villain in my eyes. And Stallings might actually be successful.

LOL I have to laugh

Barnes is hired......approval is 100%
Barnes rebrands Pitt...approval is 150%
Barnes has a town hall meeting...approval is 200%.....
Barnes hires a basketball coach....let's fire him!

Gotta love Pitt fans and yinzer nation

The problem I had with the media is that they didn't follow up on the most important question. When Stallings was asked about his influences, he mentioned playing and coaching for Keady, then being an assistant under Williams. Then he said he was hired by Joe Smoe (don't remember his name) at Illinois State, then he said he was hired at Vanderbilt, without naming a name. A good journalist would have then asked "and who was that?" and then Barnes may have had to answer some tough questions about the "noise".

?yeah....I know people are fixated on the "Come Clean" beginning..
but DK asked a legit question about the potential conflict of interest with Turner, and that Narduzzi was a successful hire without using a search firm.

Barnes, muffed by saying he understood there was one. He was wrong, it was Juhl, Cochran, Sanft, and Gallagher...and they did the most credible hire and presser in a long time.

I think Barnes knows the honeymoon is over, and it's a big step up from Utah State to a pro-sports media city like Pittsburgh.

Hopefully, everyone learns and gets better as a result.

Talking out of your behind once again.

http://pittnews.com/article/19216/archives/provost-search-committee-narrows-candidate-pool/

A Hat Trick Of Great Comments that were Spot On and captured what everyone saw and heard, Thank You!

I thought Stallings was direct, forthright, and very gracious in answering all questions. Tough, questions and took them all like man, and admitted mistakes, and liked how refer to his son in a quiet way of pride as father. Stallings does seem to be like a No Nonsense Coach that likes to speak his mind and that can hurt one no matter how good one is at coaching, I like it. It is not Stallings fault that Barnes caused problems with the Process.Why it was rushed by Barnes when Stallings would be available in another week or later is still a mystery. Pitt fans would have accepted that kind of wait, we saw it happen, over months under Pederson? Weeks OK, Months Never Again!

Barnes own sideshow of Pep Rallies full of Cheer Leaders and Band Music was Lame as well. It made him look even more stupid once the Press Conference came quick and furious. Barnes talks like a Dumb Jock (Not A Put Down of Jocks Either Just A Description of Barnes Demeanor), and now we may know why he needed a Consultant, Barnes is not smart on his own.

However, Barnes did much damage to himself and his plans for the Pitt Sports Program.

Right now Barnes lost the confidence of fans, student support spirit, and belief in Barnes abilities to be a Good Athletic Director. He is the weak link in the Program now and has no idea the damage he has done to himself.

Some will say we all will have to wait and see how Stallings does, and even if Stallings works out great, but it is the Pitt Athletic Department trying to rebuild itself right now among attendance, contributions and fans.

Stallings will recruit and coach in November but Barnes needs to raise support right now?

I feel the judgment on Barnes will remain negative and many will continue to be doubtfully cautious of him. He is now a bitter disappointment that will take a long time to overcome and change. I can hear the replies right now....you are asking for my money, why?....to give it to Consultants?

We will know soon if this can be turned around. If Stallings brings in some great recruits no one expects, that will help change the image help rub a tad more polish to a better shine on Barnes. But Barnes shoes will never be as clean as they were 1 month ago.

On the other hand, if Stallings flops on recruiting it will just reinforces and reflects on Barnes and Pitt, and hope Chancellor Gallagher will see it and take action like he did against Pederson after 5 months?

Pitt does not need and cannot afford another Pederson full of Consultants that don't know Pitt. Barnes is like a Revlon Salesperson, sell the Program and bring in supporters and contributors or accept you have to be let go and resign.

Clearly, the only thing Barnes demonstrated was his relationship with his Former Employer Consultant Todd Turner was more important than his future relationship with Pitt Alumni, Contributors and Fans! Another "Todd" being a "Toad" is what Pitt does not need, takes the money and runs to another place!

Barnes burned many bridges he was building. Pitt needs many more bridges to build a better Athletic Program and in Pittsburgh not a Consultant in North Carolina, that was fired 4 times as an A.D. himself?

Barnes's Bridges Are Burning Down Today!

Last edited:
I deem social media and blogs as print, too.

Interviews/Press Conferences are their avenue to gather information. How the sausage gets made to GET that information, doesn't matter to me.

Almost all of them do radio in some shape or form, even if its just a guest spot.

Okay. I'm guilty of cluttering up the board now. I just wanted to get a game of Soufy has to have the last word going. You win.

Barnes needs to take some Public Relations correspondence courses.

He knew a sizeable portion of the fanbase was upset with the search and ultimately the hire. He should have been prepared to begin mending the fences.
Instead of being defensive and somewhat arrogant, he should have been sympathetic to those concerned and reached out to them.

"Look, we have to replace a very popular and long tenured basketball HC who was the most successful in Pitt BB history. Whoever follows a guy like that is going to have big shoes to fill. I get that. However, Pitt basketball goes on, and in Coach Stallings, we have an experienced coach who I believe can keep the program at a high level. I know a lot of you are skeptical, or had other ideas on who would succeed Coach Dixon, but I promise you all that Coach Stallings and I will work tirelessly every day to earn your trust and gain your respect and support. Afterall, it is YOUR University and we all want the same things!"

Instead, he drew a line in the sand and what I heard was, Look, I'm smart and I've made a great choice. If you don't agree with my choice, then you're dumb. I know those weren't his exact words, but that's what I heard.

Smiley was crucified for an attitude like that, and rightfully so. This guy is the face of our athletic department. He was brought here to increase donations and upgrade the financial status of the Department. You don't do that by talking down to the very people you're smoozing to voluntarily send in money!

He's the one who set the bar with his statements about anyone worth his salt has a list, and splash hire, this is a highly desirable position, etc. Then he hires a cozy search firm and hires a 55 year old guy who was reportedly on the verge of getting canned.

The only splash here is the kerplunk of this guys credibility going down the clapper!

He knew a sizeable portion of the fanbase was upset with the search and ultimately the hire. He should have been prepared to begin mending the fences.
Instead of being defensive and somewhat arrogant, he should have been sympathetic to those concerned and reached out to them.

"Look, we have to replace a very popular and long tenured basketball HC who was the most successful in Pitt BB history. Whoever follows a guy like that is going to have big shoes to fill. I get that. However, Pitt basketball goes on, and in Coach Stallings, we have an experienced coach who I believe can keep the program at a high level. I know a lot of you are skeptical, or had other ideas on who would succeed Coach Dixon, but I promise you all that Coach Stallings and I will work tirelessly every day to earn your trust and gain your respect and support. Afterall, it is YOUR University and we all want the same things!"

Instead, he drew a line in the sand and what I heard was, Look, I'm smart and I've made a great choice. If you don't agree with my choice, then you're dumb. I know those weren't his exact words, but that's what I heard.

Smiley was crucified for an attitude like that, and rightfully so. This guy is the face of our athletic department. He was brought here to increase donations and upgrade the financial status of the Department. You don't do that by talking down to the very people you're smoozing to voluntarily send in money!

He's the one who set the bar with his statements about anyone worth his salt has a list, and splash hire, this is a highly desirable position, etc. Then he hires a cozy search firm and hires a 55 year old guy who was reportedly on the verge of getting canned.

The only splash here is the kerplunk of this guys credibility going down the clapper!
Well said.

Good points. Tough spot for Barnes - and Stallings.

I wonder if Scott Barnes was influenced by all the pomp at TCU to welcome Jamie D. to town. Perhaps Scott didn't want to appear to be outdone, but didn't take into account the vastly different circumstances.

Would be interesting to know what the longer time employees in the Athletic Department thought about how the press conference should have been handled, especially E.J....

Go Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT