ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on a potential coaching hire

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
(Long read) Hypothetically speaking, because there’s still a lot of football to go and there’s no guarantee we fire Narduzzi even if he goes 2-10 or 3-9.

We need to hire the offensive-minded coach to be our next head coach. Statistically, this is the correct decision.

- In the last 10 years, 63% of the teams in the final BCS/CFP ranking have been led by a offensive-minded coach. Also, 69% of the top ten teams in that span are led by offensive coaches.
- That trend has become clearer in the past five years. 71% and 72% of schools appearing in the top 25 and 10 since 2013 are led by offensive coaches.
- Additionally, albeit a much slighter margin, the majority of G5 schools in the final rankings have been led by offensive minded coaches in the past five years. Why is this relevant? It shows that these coaches are able to have immediate success at a school not traditionally known for it. Since the CFP started, every G5 representative in a NY6 bowl has been led by an offensive coach.

Now, from what I’ve read on here, a lot of us agree with this. Question is, who do you go after? My favorite is Ryan Day. Not only because of the success he had as the interim HC and the fact that he’s a great recruiter, but he closely resembles the career paths of the top three coaches in college football today, Meyer, Swinney and Saban. All were 40 or under 40 when they were hired and all had at least 15 years of prior coaching experience before they took their first HC job. They also had, on average, two years of coordinator experience. That’s interesting because we think of some top-tier assistant candidate as having way more than that. Day is 40 and actually has 5 years of coordinator experience, along with 16 years of coaching experience. He matches that career mold perfectly.

Now, it’s unlikely he comes here since there’s reports that he’s the coach-in-waiting at Ohio State. Who’re some other possible candidates that might fit this description? Tony Elliot is a name I like from Clemson. Currently 39 years and has 4 years of coordinator experience despite only 12 years of prior coaching experience (entered coaching a bit later than most.) He’s also an execellent recruiter, but does not have prior head coaching experience.

What’s also interesting is that both of them coach under the three top coaches mentioned.

One more I like is Neal Brown. He’s 38 years old (actually 35 when he got the Troy job), 11 prior years of coaching experience before his first HC job along with 7 years of coordinator experience. He has a few signature wins (#25 LSU, Nebraska), and came just short in a few others vs P5 opponents. 28-14 record with two conference championships under his (Sun) belt. I think Brown is going to get a P5 job very soon and be very successful. We’d hit a home run if we hire him.

That’s all I have for now. Thoughts on this?

Last edited:
I'd love some sort of NON PRO STYLE OFFENSE, like some sort of up tempo SYSTEM, where you plug in crappy QBs and they toss 40 TD passes and 5000 yards per year then are busts in the NFL because it's the system that makes them, like Mike Leach Texas Tech or Houston. Like spread the field in shotgun all the time, no huddle, up tempo fast. PASS, PASS, PASS. It's college football, that kind of stuff works. And it would be fun to watch. All the kids at the 7on7 tournaments would be more interested in coming to Pitt to have fun tossing the rock around all day.

I'd love some sort of NON PRO STYLE OFFENSE, like some sort of up tempo SYSTEM, where you plug in crappy QBs and they toss 40 TD passes and 5000 yards per year then are busts in the NFL because it's the system that makes them, like Mike Leach Texas Tech or Houston. Like spread the field in shotgun all the time, no huddle, up tempo fast. PASS, PASS, PASS. It's college football, that kind of stuff works. And it would be fun to watch. All the kids at the 7on7 tournaments would be more interested in coming to Pitt to have fun tossing the rock around all day.
Well, I got good news for you. All the coaches I mentioned run an up-tempo spread system, similar to the one you mentioned. In fact, Neal Brown was a coordinator at Texas Tech under Leach.

Also, all of the G5 coaches that were offensive-minded and went to a NY6 bowl in the CFP era ran the spread. Again, you’re able to plug that system in and have immediate success.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
(Long read) Hypothetically speaking, because there’s still a lot of football to go and there’s no guarantee we fire Narduzzi even if he goes 2-10 or 3-9.

We need to hire the offensive-minded coach to be our next head coach. Statistically, this is the correct decision.

- In the last 10 years, 63% of the teams in the final BCS/CFP ranking have been led by a offensive-minded coach. Also, 69% of the top ten teams in that span are led by offensive coaches.
- That trend has become clearer in the past five years. 71% and 72% of schools appearing in the top 25 and 10 since 2013 are led by offensive coaches.
- Additionally, albeit a much slighter margin, the majority of G5 schools in the final rankings have been led by offensive minded coaches in the past five years. Why is this relevant? It shows that these coaches are able to have immediate success at a school not traditionally known for it. Since the CFP started, every G5 representative in a NY6 bowl has been led by an offensive coach.

Now, from what I’ve read on here, a lot of us agree with this. Question is, who do you go after? My favorite is Ryan Day. Not only because of the success he had as the interim HC and the fact that he’s a great recruiter, but he closely resembles the career paths of the top three coaches in college football today, Meyer, Swinney and Saban. All were 40 or under 40 when they were hired and all had at least 15 years of prior coaching experience before they took their first HC job. They also had, on average, two years of coordinator experience. That’s interesting because we think of some top-tier assistant candidate as having way more than that. Day is 40 and actually has 5 years of coordinator experience, along with 16 years of coaching experience. He matches that career mold perfectly.

Now, it’s unlikely he comes here since there’s reports that he’s the coach-in-waiting at Ohio State. Who’re some other possible candidates that might fit this description? Tony Elliot is a name I like from Clemson. Currently 39 years and has 4 years of coordinator experience despite only 12 years of prior coaching experience (entered coaching a bit later than most.) He’s also an execellent recruiter, but does not have prior head coaching experience.

What’s also interesting is that both of them coach under the three top coaches mentioned.

One more I like is Neal Brown. He’s 38 years old (actually 35 when he got the Troy job), 11 prior years of coaching experience before his first HC job along with 7 years of coordinator experience. He has a few signature wins (#25 LSU, Nebraska), and came just short in a few others vs P5 opponents. 28-14 record with two conference championships under his (Sun) belt. I think Brown is going to get a P5 job very soon and be very successful. We’d hit a home run if we hire him.

1. Recruiter
2. Offensive-minded
3. Young

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Well, I got good news for you. All the coaches I mentioned run an up-tempo spread system, similar to the one you mentioned. In fact, Neal Brown was a coordinator at Texas Tech under Leach.

Also, all of the G5 coaches that were offensive-minded and went to a NY6 bowl in the CFP era ran the spread. Again, you’re able to plug that system in and have immediate success.
I’m sure there would be enough alumni up in arms and throwing a fit about Neal brown and screaming how we need a big name. He would be an awesome, awesome hire for pitt though. Not sure how his recruiting would be in the ACC and also at a northeastern school, but everything else about him is very appealing.

Sad we are talking about this after we kinda thought Narduzzi was heading in the right direction. But at the moment, I'm not feeling it, and I hate impotent pass offense, and that's what we're seeing.

So get the periwinkle and banana unis and start tossing the rock around the yard so the kids have FUN.

Reactions: paulbl99
Sad we are talking about this after we kinda thought Narduzzi was heading in the right direction. But at the moment, I'm not feeling it, and I hate impotent pass offense, and that's what we're seeing.

So get the periwinkle and banana unis and start tossing the rock around the yard so the kids have FUN.
You are spot on....
Blow Snowflakes out of the tunnel as team takes the field in their girlie colors.
Dude you put me on the ground laughing.

Its more of a smurf blue. For Pitt's offensive system, I like the saying: "The Smurf and Turf."

Reactions: Pitt79

Didn’t we try that experiment already with Todd Graham??

It would have been more likely to work with an actual quarterback. To his discredit he didn't immediately bring in a juco QB compatible for his system as job one, rather than trust Tino. Make no mistake am I saying anything positive about his MO or personal traits but I would have liked to see that offense with some of his own players. His defense was also definitely better than the trash we've had since.

I confess loving the hire then, looking forward to a modern and unorthodox style of play with a lot of energy. It is truly the only way I see Pitt competing consistently among schools that put more emphasis on football, which is pretty much all of em.

Face it, given our programs priority and resources, we're like a G5 or even lower. Need to be agile and yeah, a fair bit of the weasel. Call him Fraud if you must, but frankly, isn't Pitt at least an equal fraud in what we're trying to pass as P5 football?

Todd Graham was a defensive coach. His OCs did run a spread up-tempo though. It's hard to say whether it would have worked or not. He was only here for one year.

Reactions: H2P-2007
He couldn't recruit at ASU so I doubt he would have recruited well here.

Todd Graham was a defensive coach. His OCs did run a spread up-tempo though. It's hard to say whether it would have worked or not. He was only here for one year.

No, Todd's offense was run oriented. And even if we did, that doesn't preclude trying it again, because a lot of successful teams run that stuff and pile up huge numbers of yards and POINTS.

Besides, we don't know that Todd's system wouldn't have worked if he had stayed around, he was only here one year. He didn't fail, he left for a better opportunity. Face it, only a Yinzer would choose living in Pittsburgh over Arizona.

You are spot on....
Blow Snowflakes out of the tunnel as team takes the field in their girlie colors.
Dude you put me on the ground laughing.
I love girlie colors! Go to the link above, yesterday I ordered the bright yellow Pitt script T Shirt that is 50% off! XXXL. I hate the drab Navy blue gear.

It would have been more likely to work with an actual quarterback. To his discredit he didn't immediately bring in a juco QB compatible for his system as job one, rather than trust Tino. Make no mistake am I saying anything positive about his MO or personal traits but I would have liked to see that offense with some of his own players. His defense was also definitely better than the trash we've had since.

I confess loving the hire then, looking forward to a modern and unorthodox style of play with a lot of energy. It is truly the only way I see Pitt competing consistently among schools that put more emphasis on football, which is pretty much all of em.

Face it, given our programs priority and resources, we're like a G5 or even lower. Need to be agile and yeah, a fair bit of the weasel. Call him Fraud if you must, but frankly, isn't Pitt at least an equal fraud in what we're trying to pass as P5 football?
Exactly, Bama can play pro style, because the whole O line is 5 stars and their backups are too. Lower level pretenders like Pitt need a gimmick to be able to improve and become as good as superior programs like UCF, Boise and Houston.

He couldn't recruit at ASU so I doubt he would have recruited well here.
Maybe true and I don't think he could have been counted on to be a lifer. That may be an understatement.

But the 2 and 3 star guys we have been getting since Wanny, including and after Graham, are more likely week in and out to have success in an unorthodox system that is largely unfamiliar in the north and east.

We've seen how running our "MAC n' a half" guys fare going head to head with regular, more committed programs getting better players. Especially on Defense. Frankly it's sad. It's a good thing we had z Canada in 16 because that was a 0-12 defense.

Good post, but I think the model we need to follow is WVU or Wisconsin. They know they are limited and will never bring in Top 10 recruiting classes. So they establish a stable system and recruit players that can fit this system. Plus they schedule advantageously. Three top ten teams OOC? Who in their right minds does that. We need to give up on the idea that we can recruit talent that can just line up and beat the man opposite them (i.e. Wanny ball). Get these guys who are tweeners that the bigs won't take and let them play (i.e. a 5'9" speedster at WR, guys like Kenny Robinson at CB). Hit the transfer market hard.

Problem is Pittsburgh still seems to have that smash mouth football mentality. Graham tried to bring a system here and it didn't go so well.

obviously someone cares because we brought in 2 assistants from the B10 to be head coaches and they are not known for lighting things up.
That is funny, in that Yinzers claim to not be style over substance, but really they are the most obsessed with style.

Good post, but I think the model we need to follow is WVU or Wisconsin. They know they are limited and will never bring in Top 10 recruiting classes. So they establish a stable system and recruit players that can fit this system. Plus they schedule advantageously. Three top ten teams OOC? Who in their right minds does that. We need to give up on the idea that we can recruit talent that can just line up and beat the man opposite them (i.e. Wanny ball). Get these guys who are tweeners that the bigs won't take and let them play (i.e. a 5'9" speedster at WR, guys like Kenny Robinson at CB). Hit the transfer market hard.

Problem is Pittsburgh still seems to have that smash mouth football mentality. Graham tried to bring a system here and it didn't go so well.
Agreed, though I still think we can improve recruiting. I think if a guy like Neal Brown comes in and you give him time to recruit players tailored to his system, it’d work. I think Todd Graham would’ve had some success if he stayed longer and got his recruits in. Also would’ve helped if he recruited a transfer or JUCO QB to run the offense instead of Tino.

That is funny, in that Yinzers claim to not be style over substance, but really they are the most obsessed with style.
I think we’re a little picky about style re: wanting an offensive spread guy because it fits today’s game and you can have success with it. The spread is a much better fit than the pro style offense in the ACC. We’ve stuck with the pro, run dominant system to little success.

I love girlie colors! Go to the link above, yesterday I ordered the bright yellow Pitt script T Shirt that is 50% off! XXXL. I hate the drab Navy blue gear.
They suit you well...
Bet you look sweet while singing Sweet Caroline.

I’m starting a Red and White throwback color write in campaign....
Those are big boy, good old boy Southern football colors.

In fact that combo has one big throwback advantage over periwinkle....Pitt ACTUALLY WORE them for 2 or 3 years.

They suit you well...
Bet you look sweet while singing Sweet Caroline.

I’m starting a Red and White throwback color write in campaign....
Those are big boy, good old boy Southern football colors.

In fact that combo has one big throwback advantage over periwinkle....Pitt ACTUALLY WORE them for 2 or 3 years.
You probably mow the lawn in a dress shirt and "slacks"! LOL "slacks"!

The spread is a much better fit than the pro style offense in the ACC. We’ve stuck with the pro, run dominant system to little success.

and one thing that doesn't matter to me, is getting guys to the NFL. I'd rather be 10-2 with nobody drafted than 7-5 with 5-6 drafted.

I don't root for them in the pros anyways, unless they join the Steelers.

You probably mow the lawn in a dress shirt and "slacks"! LOL "slacks"!
Nah, Navy and Old Gold tees or sweatshirts .....w old jeans listening to vintage Rock.

Picture you prancing around the yard in periwinkle .....listening to soft rock or Neil Diamond love songs.

Nah, Navy and Old Gold tees or sweatshirts .....w old jeans listening to vintage Rock.

Picture you prancing around the yard in periwinkle .....listening to soft rock or Neil Diamond love songs.
More like HEAVY METAL dude, conservative dressers like you are into the fairy music.

I also like Gangsta Rap that is abusive and full of language or attitudes banned on this message board. And I'm a 59 year old white guy.

Pitt had Paul Chryst for 3 years, pretty good offensive mind, How did that work out?

Nope, sorry. But I did meet Chryst a few times, and he was a heck of a good man. He gets trashed here unjustly.

Nope, sorry. But I did meet Chryst a few times, and he was a heck of a good man. He gets trashed here unjustly.

maybe too harsh I agree, but he deserves no praise for his tenure here. He was the very definition of average. So if you like average, Paul is your guy.

If you placed him at any of the other non "blue bloods", he would produce the same average results. He is in a perfect situation at Wisconsin as a steady system is in place and the Big 10 West is a joke. Plus an easy OOC schedule. When faced against more athletic teams like PSU & OSU, they fold.

also, do "heck of a good men" don't even meet with their team to tell them they are leaving or to say goodbye? At least Graham sent a text which is more than good man Paul.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
You make a valid point. The HC has to want to be here as well. Possible ties to the area through himself, his wife, or friends. Picking a carpetbagger from elsewhere could very well blow up again.

maybe too harsh I agree, but he deserves no praise for his tenure here. He was the very definition of average. So if you like average, Paul is your guy.

If you placed him at any of the other non "blue bloods", he would produce the same average results. He is in a perfect situation at Wisconsin as a steady system is in place and the Big 10 West is a joke. Plus an easy OOC schedule. When faced against more athletic teams like PSU & OSU, they fold.

also, do "heck of a good men" don't even meet with their team to tell them they are leaving or to say goodbye? At least Graham sent a text which is more than good man Paul.

The Big Ten west is not strong, but it's no worse than the ACC Coastal. Pitt would not be favored against anyone in that division right now, except for Nebraska, which is a surprising shit-show at the moment.

The details of Chryst's leaving have never been clear. According to this article, the players he spoke with before he took the job, encouraged him to do so. https://herosports.com/college-football/big-ten-football-coaches-leaving-chryst-ash-fleck-ahah

People will believe what they want to believe. My short interactions with him left me with a very positive impression, however. He is/was a very down to earth, normal guy.

The Big Ten west is not strong, but it's no worse than the ACC Coastal. Pitt would not be favored against anyone in that division right now, except for Nebraska, which is a surprising shit-show at the moment.

The details of Chryst's leaving have never been clear. According to this article, the players he spoke with before he took the job, encouraged him to do so. https://herosports.com/college-football/big-ten-football-coaches-leaving-chryst-ash-fleck-ahah

People will believe what they want to believe. My short interactions with him left me with a very positive impression, however. He is/was a very down to earth, normal guy.

he did not address the team

Assuming she is here longer than Narduzzi, which is probably somewhat likely, Heather is going to have to do a very serious process to find a coach. She may want to focus on someone with head coach experience since it seems like coordinators struggle to learn how to be a head coach for their first few years and then leave anyway. Which may limit us to over the hill coaches going for one last run (which I am actually ok with but most fans would HATE) or a young MAC type (which I am also ok with.)

But I don't have to be that serious about my priorities -- I am a lowly fan -- and I'd like to see an Air Raid coach bring us a 50 passes per game system. Pitt isn't going to compete for national titles, I would be fine being the Texas Tech of the ACC.

Reactions: Pitt79
ADVERTISEMENT