ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on a potential coaching hire

Pitt had Paul Chryst for 3 years, pretty good offensive mind, How did that work out?

I get your point, but he recruited some offensive players that helped Canada put together our historic offensive season -- Boyd, Weah, O'Neill, Officer, Bookser, Ollison, some guy named James Conner. He also did a much better job with Tino than the previous two coaches. I have no clue how Chryst would have done his 4th or 5th year overall, and the problem with hiring with him is his heart was in Wisconsin -- but I bet his teams would have scored a lot of points if he stayed longer based on the personnel and focus on the line.

Reactions: hermdigity
Remember those teams did not have any defensive players mainly he did not recruit any DBs as evident in the Houston bowl game. No pass defense has hurt Pitt ever since.

I'd like to see an Air Raid coach bring us a 50 passes per game system. Pitt isn't going to compete for national titles, I would be fine being the Texas Tech of the ACC.

I'd love that! Even if we went 8-4 every year, with occasionally better, that would be fun! Get rid of the Yinzer Ball pound the rock crap, and spread the field and air it out! You'd probably get better recruits, wear the loud periwinkle and electric banana unis, toss the rock around all day! HAVE FUN! Give the kids the KID STUFF they want.

(Long read) Hypothetically speaking, because there’s still a lot of football to go and there’s no guarantee we fire Narduzzi even if he goes 2-10 or 3-9.

We need to hire the offensive-minded coach to be our next head coach. Statistically, this is the correct decision.

- In the last 10 years, 63% of the teams in the final BCS/CFP ranking have been led by a offensive-minded coach. Also, 69% of the top ten teams in that span are led by offensive coaches.
- That trend has become clearer in the past five years. 71% and 72% of schools appearing in the top 25 and 10 since 2013 are led by offensive coaches.
- Additionally, albeit a much slighter margin, the majority of G5 schools in the final rankings have been led by offensive minded coaches in the past five years. Why is this relevant? It shows that these coaches are able to have immediate success at a school not traditionally known for it. Since the CFP started, every G5 representative in a NY6 bowl has been led by an offensive coach.

Now, from what I’ve read on here, a lot of us agree with this. Question is, who do you go after? My favorite is Ryan Day. Not only because of the success he had as the interim HC and the fact that he’s a great recruiter, but he closely resembles the career paths of the top three coaches in college football today, Meyer, Swinney and Saban. All were 40 or under 40 when they were hired and all had at least 15 years of prior coaching experience before they took their first HC job. They also had, on average, two years of coordinator experience. That’s interesting because we think of some top-tier assistant candidate as having way more than that. Day is 40 and actually has 5 years of coordinator experience, along with 16 years of coaching experience. He matches that career mold perfectly.

Now, it’s unlikely he comes here since there’s reports that he’s the coach-in-waiting at Ohio State. Who’re some other possible candidates that might fit this description? Tony Elliot is a name I like from Clemson. Currently 39 years and has 4 years of coordinator experience despite only 12 years of prior coaching experience (entered coaching a bit later than most.) He’s also an execellent recruiter, but does not have prior head coaching experience.

What’s also interesting is that both of them coach under the three top coaches mentioned.

One more I like is Neal Brown. He’s 38 years old (actually 35 when he got the Troy job), 11 prior years of coaching experience before his first HC job along with 7 years of coordinator experience. He has a few signature wins (#25 LSU, Nebraska), and came just short in a few others vs P5 opponents. 28-14 record with two conference championships under his (Sun) belt. I think Brown is going to get a P5 job very soon and be very successful. We’d hit a home run if we hire him.

That’s all I have for now. Thoughts on this?
I would stay away from any Big 10 coach. That league mostly plays power football.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I'd love that! Even if we went 8-4 every year, with occasionally better, that would be fun! Get rid of the Yinzer Ball pound the rock crap, and spread the field and air it out! You'd probably get better recruits, wear the loud periwinkle and electric banana unis, toss the rock around all day! HAVE FUN! Give the kids the KID STUFF they want.
*Even if* we went 8-4 every year? Heck, sign me up for that. That’s better than half the seasons we have right now! :rolleyes:

I would stay away from any Big 10 coach. That league mostly plays power football.
Agreed. That’s why I’d hire a coach from the ACC or AAC/C-USA/SBC such as Neal Brown. More spread systems and would be a better fit/transition for our conference.

*Even if* we went 8-4 every year? Heck, sign me up for that. That’s better than half the seasons we have right now! :rolleyes:
I figure if we "averaged" that it would be tolerable, if we'd go 5-7 sometimes and 10-2 sometimes it would be great. we are in a massive rut the last decade, where 6-6 is about the average. I personally think some crazy ass, gimmicky, pass, pass, pass, fast, fast, fast offense might be harder to stop because people aren't used to it as much in the P5, outside the B12.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I bet his teams would have scored a lot of points if he stayed longer based on the personnel and focus on the line.

This ^^^

In recent memory, even though it was small sample size with many of our coaches, Pitt always had more promise when we had solid OL/DL play.

Downfall of many of our HCs are the staffs they bring in. As much as we talk about the HCs Pitt has had, Pitt has had some awful coordinators.

If it doesn’t work out for PN, we don’t need a system genius (makes me think of Charlie wise, chip kelly, narduzzi). Everyone says we need a great recruiter, which is false. Pitt is fine vs the acc coastal in recruiting.

Just bring in a coach with great coaching connections and that can manage a game, please.

It makes sense because it seems like everyone likes basketball scores in football games now. Every year more and more rules are put in to place to help the offense while hurting the defense. Its just a new age of football where everyone wants a 52-50 score and hates to see a 7-6 score.

(Long read) Hypothetically speaking, because there’s still a lot of football to go and there’s no guarantee we fire Narduzzi even if he goes 2-10 or 3-9.

We need to hire the offensive-minded coach to be our next head coach. Statistically, this is the correct decision.

- In the last 10 years, 63% of the teams in the final BCS/CFP ranking have been led by a offensive-minded coach. Also, 69% of the top ten teams in that span are led by offensive coaches.
- That trend has become clearer in the past five years. 71% and 72% of schools appearing in the top 25 and 10 since 2013 are led by offensive coaches.
- Additionally, albeit a much slighter margin, the majority of G5 schools in the final rankings have been led by offensive minded coaches in the past five years. Why is this relevant? It shows that these coaches are able to have immediate success at a school not traditionally known for it. Since the CFP started, every G5 representative in a NY6 bowl has been led by an offensive coach.

Now, from what I’ve read on here, a lot of us agree with this. Question is, who do you go after? My favorite is Ryan Day. Not only because of the success he had as the interim HC and the fact that he’s a great recruiter, but he closely resembles the career paths of the top three coaches in college football today, Meyer, Swinney and Saban. All were 40 or under 40 when they were hired and all had at least 15 years of prior coaching experience before they took their first HC job. They also had, on average, two years of coordinator experience. That’s interesting because we think of some top-tier assistant candidate as having way more than that. Day is 40 and actually has 5 years of coordinator experience, along with 16 years of coaching experience. He matches that career mold perfectly.

Now, it’s unlikely he comes here since there’s reports that he’s the coach-in-waiting at Ohio State. Who’re some other possible candidates that might fit this description? Tony Elliot is a name I like from Clemson. Currently 39 years and has 4 years of coordinator experience despite only 12 years of prior coaching experience (entered coaching a bit later than most.) He’s also an execellent recruiter, but does not have prior head coaching experience.

What’s also interesting is that both of them coach under the three top coaches mentioned.

One more I like is Neal Brown. He’s 38 years old (actually 35 when he got the Troy job), 11 prior years of coaching experience before his first HC job along with 7 years of coordinator experience. He has a few signature wins (#25 LSU, Nebraska), and came just short in a few others vs P5 opponents. 28-14 record with two conference championships under his (Sun) belt. I think Brown is going to get a P5 job very soon and be very successful. We’d hit a home run if we hire him.

It makes sense because it seems like everyone likes basketball scores in football games now. Every year more and more rules are put in to place to help the offense while hurting the defense. Its just a new age of football where everyone wants a 52-50 score and hates to see a 7-6 score.
So go with the flow! Jesus! Is it that hard? If they seem to want rules favoring passing and up tempo BECOME THAT!

RK PLAYER TEAM COMP ATT PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RAT
1 Cole McDonald, QB HAW 122 183 66.7 1759 9.6 80 20 1 10 182.4

Leading passer in the country, 2 star recruit in Hawaii leading the only remaining run and shoot offense in FBS.
And this is their HC- Nick Rolovich, another college QB with inflated numbers because he was a system guy. Picket could probably have numbers like that in a crazy system. When you watch certain other college football, Pitt seems pretty primitive

I figure if we "averaged" that it would be tolerable, if we'd go 5-7 sometimes and 10-2 sometimes it would be great. we are in a massive rut the last decade, where 6-6 is about the average. I personally think some crazy ass, gimmicky, pass, pass, pass, fast, fast, fast offense might be harder to stop because people aren't used to it as much in the P5, outside the B12.
So Mike Leach on sterioids? I like it. Again, I’m thinking that’s Neal Brown. I really like him. Maybe if we recruit a pass-first offense, we can find some guys to stop it on defense along the way!

I think, if you are recruiting QBs and WRs, and they see you on TV airing it out all day, and you show them that they will be catching balls more and blocking less, you will get better skill players. Look at some of these G5 teams with these kinds of offenses, and I watch them and always think, why can't we have athletes that good?

Mark Schmidt

Good post, but I think the model we need to follow is WVU or Wisconsin. They know they are limited and will never bring in Top 10 recruiting classes. So they establish a stable system and recruit players that can fit this system. Plus they schedule advantageously. Three top ten teams OOC? Who in their right minds does that. We need to give up on the idea that we can recruit talent that can just line up and beat the man opposite them (i.e. Wanny ball). Get these guys who are tweeners that the bigs won't take and let them play (i.e. a 5'9" speedster at WR, guys like Kenny Robinson at CB). Hit the transfer market hard.

Problem is Pittsburgh still seems to have that smash mouth football mentality. Graham tried to bring a system here and it didn't go so well.

Really? Like the "smash mouth Steelers"? Or those "rough and tumble Penguins?" People just want to win.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Remember when Pitt fans were worried that it was only a matter of time before he left for MSU

Did I say not to? I'm just pointing out that it is pretty obvious that the game has changed in that way and if that is what the people want, then maybe its time to join the club. Defense these days seems to be an afterthought. The NFL is that way as well.

So go with the flow! Jesus! Is it that hard? If they seem to want rules favoring passing and up tempo BECOME THAT!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT