ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett

I’m not at camp or the southside, but guys like Pomp have said that Dan Moore has been pretty good this summer. So if that’s the case, then it would be very bizarre replacing him with a guy who was a human turnstile in games. Except the human turnstile was a first round pick that they traded up to get.
I trust none of the Pittsburgh media on the Steelers. They are massive homers who push the hype machine

I trust none of the Pittsburgh media on the Steelers. They are massive homers who push the hype machine
That’s a fair point. It’s hard to trust anyone in the media. They all have agendas and most are doing the bidding for their employer or the people they cover. Journalism’s dead.

That plan is already out the window. They cannot wait until the draft to decide what to do with the position unless they finish the season with a top five pick. If that's the case, you'd head into the season with a rookie and probably terrible, low cost backups which is what they've been doing. There is going to be a ton of spin about how injuries at WR and OL made them unlucky this year and Fields is going to get a four year contract with club options at a somewhat affordable price. Kordell Stewart all over again. Maybe Tomlin will even give him a big fat kiss when Fields runs for 200 yards against the Bengals in the last game for winning and preserving the most mediocre streak in NFL history.
I have Kordell vibes with regard to Fields also, and similarly think the Steelers will give him too much opportunity and waste years because of it. Giving a rookie 1st round draft pick plenty of time is one thing. But Fields came to Pittsburgh with some track record. Steelers fans will say "yeah, but it was the Bears". Meanwhile, Trubisky played better in Chicago than he ever played in Pittsburgh and Fields looks like he's regressed under our coaches. Our QBs seem to look better in other uniforms, and I suspect Pickett will eventually get there too after he swallows enough brain bleach to erase what he "learned" with the Steelers.

So start fresh...and embrace what that means (i.e. probably some losing before things turn the corner). Or spend the damn money and get a guy and hope he can get you over the top. Dak Prescott is going to get more than he's worth, but I'd rather pay him $50 mil than play 36 year old Russell Wilson $30+ mil. At least Prescott can still play. I don't know if he could get you past Mahomes, but he'd give you a puncher's chance. I prefer the former option mind you, but either way I think they need to choose a lane.

So start fresh...and embrace what that means (i.e. probably some losing before things turn the corner). Or spend the damn money and get a guy and hope he can get you over the top. Dak Prescott is going to get more than he's worth, but I'd rather pay him $50 mil than play 36 year old Russell Wilson $30+ mil. At least Prescott can still play. I don't know if he could get you past Mahomes, but he'd give you a puncher's chance. I prefer the former option mind you, but either way I think they need to choose a lane.
But here's the thing, a guy like Prescott doesn't do much for you when you don't have any playmakers (okay, maybe one) or an offensive line. There's so much wrong with this offense that a QB isn't just going to fix it.

This is correct .
Then maybe 3-4 really high level ones
Franchise - Mahomes , burrow , and maybe Allen
Really high level - Jackson , Herbert , cousins and maybe Dak

Stroud is a franchise guy .. I go Mahommes, Stroud, Allen

Move Burrow down to high level

This is correct .
I'm not going to look it up, but I think Jalen Hurts has probably already won about the same amount of playoff games as Herbert, Cousins and Dak combined. And Cousins, but not Rodgers? C'mon.

Reactions: 303vND
I'm not going to look it up, but I think Jalen Hurts has probably already won about the same amount of playoff games as Herbert, Cousins and Dak combined. And Cousins, but not Rodgers? C'mon.
Rodgers isn’t elite anymore
Maybe if he lasts over 46 seconds this season
Hurts is that next tier down with folks like Tua , Goff , stafford , etc .

Now that the Philly OL isn’t what it was - maybe Jalen proves it’s him .

Lol. Wilson is hurt again (maybe). They might have to roll with Fields and they could throw Jones in at LT after not putting him there all preseason. Brilliant.

Lol. Wilson is hurt again (maybe). They might have to roll with Fields and they could throw Jones in at LT after not putting him there all preseason. Brilliant.
Do you think this is true or did he just a veteran day off and the Steelers are using the media to play head games with the Falcons?

This is correct .
How many playoff wins do the really high level have? NFL QB play is at 50 year low.

Next time tell them TJ gets double teamed too, and it’s not just the Steelers that Garrett doesn’t show up for. Garrett might have had one sack the whole 2nd half of the season last year. So it’s not just the two game vs Pittsburgh… It’s also the final two months of the season of no production. Unless you count almost getting to the QB, which weirdly has become more important than actually getting to the QB.

The other argument I hear is that Garrett goes up against left tackles who are often left tackles because they are the other teams best lineman, and TJ goes up against right tackles. Well my counter is that Garrett has the benefit of coming in on most QBs blind side which should account for more sacks and certainly more strip sacks. QBs see Watt coming, yet TJ causes more turnovers than Garrett by far.

I’ll take the guy with more sacks, more fumbles caused, and more ints every year than the guy who almost gets to the QB. I’ve never seen a guy (Garrett) get more run for being almost good enough. And he won DPOY in a season that he no showed the entire back half of the season.
But Garrett had as many fumble recoveries as Watt, so you know..he deserved it.
nfl-is-corrupt-watt-robbed-v0-z21t1zhdfhhc1.jpeg

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
This is correct .
Herbert, Dak, and Cousins don’t belong on this list. You ain’t winning sh#t with Dak and Cousins and I’m yet to see anything from Herbert to suggest he’s the guy worthy of all the praise from the media people like Ruiz over at the Ringer who watch a bunch of film and act like that makes them special.

Mahommes. Jackson. Allen. Burrow. The rest all need to prove it, IMO. And it’s all a moot point so long as Mahommes is healthy.

Reactions: 303vND
Herbert, Dak, and Cousins don’t belong on this list. You ain’t winning sh#t with Dak and Cousins and I’m yet to see anything from Herbert to suggest he’s the guy worthy of all the praise from the media people like Ruiz over at the Ringer who watch a bunch of film and act like that makes them special.

Mahommes. Jackson. Allen. Burrow. The rest all need to prove it, IMO. And it’s all a moot point so long as Mahommes is healthy.

I don't know that I consider all four of those guys to be a clear cut above the rest.

Mahomes - tier of his own

Jackson/Allen - high highs, but they also have some low lows and haven't proven it in the postseason

Burrow - eh, assuming he can stay healthy, how would he look throwing to the receiving corps Mahomes just won a Super Bowl with? My guess is not very good.

Jackson is an elite running back playing quarterback. Late night showed once again he’s average at best as a passing qb. He missed a number of easy throws for TDS

Jackson is an elite running back playing quarterback. Late night showed once again he’s average at best as a passing qb. He missed a number of easy throws for TDS
There was a game last night?

Son, I am old unlike you. (LOL, I don't mean that to be condescending). What I am going to say I was a kid in the late 70's and 80's and avidly followed the NFL, much more than I do today. And the amount of teams that had good QB's, if not great QB's, far outweighs today. Which is really interesting.

Most of those QB's came from HS and College offenses that ran "pro style" offenses. Threw 12-20 times a game. There were no QB camps. Individual QB coaches. These guys played 2-3 sports in HS, not just focused on being a robo QB. Many of them in the pros, called their own plays. Hell Marino did in college. Most took the snap under center. 2 WR's, 1 TE. Maybe on 3rd and long a 3rd WR.

Compared with football today. These kids are drilled as a QB since they are 11-12. Attend these camps, 7 on 7's, special instruction. The Manning camp. Play in QB centric offenses. In a gun. 4-5 WR's. Option routes. Complete devotion to their craft for 10 years before they even get to the pros. Many only play one sport in HS to focus on prepping them for college, leave HS early. And never before has the NFL been so QB deficient.

Are we over programming these kids? Are they just so reliant on coaches that when things breakdown, they have no idea what to do?

Of course the sport has changed. 55% completion percentage used to be acceptable. But that's because QB's threw the ball downfield more. Still, you see all these QB's continually drafted in the first rd and continually underperform to the point of being relegated.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Son, I am old unlike you. (LOL, I don't mean that to be condescending). What I am going to say I was a kid in the late 70's and 80's and avidly followed the NFL, much more than I do today. And the amount of teams that had good QB's, if not great QB's, far outweighs today. Which is really interesting.
Honestly, the reason why it might have seemed like there were more good QBs is because nobody was that great. Mahommes is in a class by himself at the moment, just like Brady stood head and shoulders above everyone else for a time.

Someone else is going to have to emerge as a really good QB. Mahommes can't keep winning Super Bowls forever. Another QB is going to get a super bowl ring, and someone will probably win a couple and then you'll say he is elite. I don't think Purdy is that amazing, and I think the talent around him has led to his success thus far in his career (dare I say it, similar to early Roethlisberger) but if he wins a couple super bowls, the perception changes (a la Roethlisberger).

Funnier than the Bee. That’s for sure.
I’m sorry Ski. Whenever I don’t find something funny, I just move on and don’t respond, like yesterday when you replied to me with a meme. I don’t think the board cares whether I find humor with things or not. I keep forgetting that the Bee elicits an emotional response from you, no matter how harmless it is, like the Bee headline above. Thanks for letting me know though. I’ll try to be more sensitive next time for your sake.

Honestly, the reason why it might have seemed like there were more good QBs is because nobody was that great. Mahommes is in a class by himself at the moment, just like Brady stood head and shoulders above everyone else for a time.

Someone else is going to have to emerge as a really good QB. Mahommes can't keep winning Super Bowls forever. Another QB is going to get a super bowl ring, and someone will probably win a couple and then you'll say he is elite. I don't think Purdy is that amazing, and I think the talent around him has led to his success thus far in his career (dare I say it, similar to early Roethlisberger) but if he wins a couple super bowls, the perception changes (a la Roethlisberger).
Don't sleep on Stroud.

Fair enough.
Just my opinion based on their arm talent and athleticism .
Cousins puts up massive stats pretty consistently .

Reactions: Ski11585
Just like I find the use of the word female as a noun funny
Wow. I had no idea that me using “female” in place of “women and girls” for the sake of brevity would be found offensive, disparaging, or inappropriate to the 10 guys reading a Pitt Volleyball thread. But you did and for that I’m very sorry. Maybe I’ll enroll at Pitt and major in gender studies with a minor in English so that I can be a better person.

Pretty certain the calf soreness is the "out" for anything bad that happens. Have no idea how a guy who has done nothing but rest and mostly take light practice reps is having any sort injury issues.
I called this a month ago .
He’s guaranteed a massive payday , regardless.
He’s only hoping for one last gasp at a post season , so he can step in .
He’s not gonna play until then .

rather just go with fields if Russ is 75%, aka, not mobile. i know he isnt a young vick but you still need him to roll out and move a bit, especially with this disaster of an OL. if you dont have that, just go with fields..

Wow. I had no idea that me using “female” in place of “women and girls” for the sake of brevity would be found offensive, disparaging, or inappropriate to the 10 guys reading a Pitt Volleyball thread. But you did and for that I’m very sorry. Maybe I’ll enroll at Pitt and major in gender studies with a minor in English so that I can be a better person.
dudes on here get triggered over the stupidest sh*t, its unreal. 1/2 the time i cant tell if they are kidding or not.

here is some advice for you all. If something offends you, that's your problem. NO ONE ELSE'S. get over it, ignore it or deal with it.

Don't sleep on Stroud.
I am not sleeping on anyone. I view him and Jackson and Burrow and Purdy and Herbert and Lawrence etc. all the same. They are all talented and all good QBs that have some amazing skills and traits. But until one of them gets a couple super bowl rings, or at least one, nobody will consider them an elite QB.

I am not sleeping on anyone. I view him and Jackson and Burrow and Purdy and Herbert and Lawrence etc. all the same. They are all talented and all good QBs that have some amazing skills and traits. But until one of them gets a couple super bowl rings, or at least one, nobody will consider them an elite QB.
Do rate Marino as having been elite?

I don't think Purdy is that amazing, and I think the talent around him has led to his success thus far in his career (dare I say it, similar to early Roethlisberger) but if he wins a couple super bowls, the perception changes (a la Roethlisberger).
It amazes me how many people want to disrespect Ben? I seriously think if he hadn't joined the team they would still be selling "One for the Thumb" t shirts at the Steelers Store, not that he did it alone, but his contributions where integral to winning championships, and we can all see the depressing level this team's offense has sunk to without him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT