ADVERTISEMENT

Myth of better OL recruiting, why Pitt won

Penn state will certainly be favored next year. They are home, and we will no longer have most our Oline, Conner or Peterman. But you are correct, our defense will be much better next year. Also, we will still have the horses in the backfield
Do you expect some of Pitt's underclassmen on the OL to opt to enter the draft? Pitt will return 4 of their top 6 OL. Johnson will be tough replace though. But, lots of experience returning next season.

Peterman's a huge loss due to his experience but he's a serviceable QB. Nothing elite. And, Conner, yeah, he'll be tough. But, I mean, barring transfers, Ollison returns as a RS JR, Hall as a JR, Moss as either a RS FR or SO, Ibrahim as a RS SR and Sibley's coming in next season too. I think Pitt's fine there. Kind of like Wisconsin when they'd lose an upperclassmen RB... The plug in the next guy and let the remaining stable support him.

Do you expect some of Pitt's underclassmen on the OL to opt to enter the draft? Pitt will return 4 of their top 6 OL. Johnson will be tough replace though. But, lots of experience returning next season.

Peterman's a huge loss due to his experience but he's a serviceable QB. Nothing elite. And, Conner, yeah, he'll be tough. But, I mean, barring transfers, Ollison returns as a RS JR, Hall as a JR, Moss as either a RS FR or SO, Ibrahim as a RS SR and Sibley's coming in next season too. I think Pitt's fine there. Kind of like Wisconsin when they'd lose an upperclassmen RB... The plug in the next guy and let the remaining stable support him.

OK, I agree. I was talking Biz and Johnson, who are 2 guys that will be in the NFL next year. Definitely our 'go to' guys this year. We have Pilato, Paulino, Morgan, Brandon Ford, and Mike Grimm... who may not play again?

One of them could become a Biz or DJ, but they arent of the same pedigree to do so... thats all I meant.

I think our offense this year is one dimensional, and there is not a reason to think it can get better strictly on the guys we know we have coming back is what I mean.

Wait... You don't think the WR corps will improve as underclassmen like Henderson, Matthews, Tipton, Lopes, Flowers, Ffrench mature over the next season? I totally understand not have as much faith in upperclassmen like Weah and Challingsworth to take big step forward. Not to mention, underclassmen OL like O'Neil, Bookser should to continue to improve while upperclassmen OL like Officer and Jones should remain steady. And, I don't know, I really, really like the RB stable next season too. One could argue the strength of the OL will simply shift from the left side to the right side next season.

Again, next season reminds me of the Wisconsin teams that didn't have to put a ton of pressure on new starting QB given the talent on the OL, a deep, talented stable of RB and an athletic set of WR that would support the new guy until he figured things out.

I know they'll have to replace the smarts of Caprara and Galambos, the talent of Price and the experience of Jarrett and Soto. But, hell, Wirginis should step right in at MLB. Hendriz will back on the DE. Blair and Folston a year older. Edwards still around. Camp, Watts and Wheeler a year older a DT. And, man, that corps DB with Whitehead, Maddox, Hamlin, Coleman, Garner, Miller, etc. has A LOT of talent.

Wait... You don't think the WR corps will improve as underclassmen like Henderson, Matthews, Tipton, Lopes, Flowers, Ffrench mature over the next season? I totally understand not have as much faith in upperclassmen like Weah and Challingsworth to take big step forward. Not to mention, underclassmen OL like O'Neil, Bookser should to continue to improve while upperclassmen OL like Officer and Jones should remain steady. And, I don't know, I really, really like the RB stable next season too. One could argue the strength of the OL will simply shift from the left side to the right side next season.

Again, next season reminds me of the Wisconsin teams that didn't have to put a ton of pressure on new starting QB given the talent on the OL, a deep, talented stable of RB and an athletic set of WR that would support the new guy until he figured things out.

I know they'll have to replace the smarts of Caprara and Galambos, the talent of Price and the experience of Jarrett and Soto. But, hell, Wirginis should step right in at MLB. Hendriz will back on the DE. Blair and Folston a year older. Edwards still around. Camp, Watts and Wheeler a year older a DT. And, man, that corps DB with Whitehead, Maddox, Hamlin, Coleman, Garner, Miller, etc. has A LOT of talent.
Well, some of them might step up at WR, but others (Lopes) probably have no business being on scholarship. QB I have no clue and lean to being worried that spot will be weak with a RS FR MacVittie the only potential plus option there.

Defense should be better on the backend. I still would have some big worries at LB and DL depth will be dependent on FR.

Ped st will probably beat us next year. But as long as they have franklin we have a chance.

Sorry great guys don't hire coaches based on what their wives look like. Great guys do not try to cover up a rape a student that he hired to show football players around. And a great guy does not constantly blame other people or other reasons for his own shortcomings

One of them could become a Biz or DJ, but they arent of the same pedigree to do so... thats all I meant.

No idea what that really means unless you're talking stars and those get erased on day #1 of your first college season. From then on, it's coaching, weight room, and hard work. I get that a guy has to have some physical things but OL is more about technique and attitude, given all of the physical things are the same.

He's not my hero. He's also not close to as bad as some people here want to make him out to be either.
He very well may not be, but he consistently conducts himself like an ass. Which is one thing if he backs it up, but so far has yet to remotely do so.
He's an easy target.

I wouldn't call any of that stuff being an ass. Of course he is going to come across that way to competition. Michigan fans probably think Narduzzi is an ass. Thats all subjective. To each his own perception.

IMO, Narduzzi & Franklin are both good for the rivalry.

Last edited:
BTW, we had a discussion with some nitters in the off-season, and they were really excited by how much improved they thought their OL was going to be this year. They were hearing great things about the young guys with all the stars in Spring ball, had a new OL coach, etc.
I cautioned them that listening to positive chatter about practice performance was fool's gold, and young OL men take time to develop, both individually and as a unit. I was dismissed by two nitters, who thought I was just putting down their team as a Pitt guy.
Well, here we are through game 2, and few of those high star underclassman have moved ahead of the veterans, and that OL still looks bad. So, yes, I am saying 'I told you so'. That OL will continue to be the Achilles heel of the PSU offense.

I wouldn't call any of that stuff being an ass. Of course he is going to come across that way to competition. Michigan fans probably think Narduzzi is an ass. Thats all subjective. To each his own perception.

IMO, Narduzzi & Franklin are both good for the rivalry.
Nah, he's an ass.
Don't forget the negative recruiting whining, only for him to be outed as doing it.

Now you're right in that a lot of other coaches are asses too. Meyer and Harbaugh spring to mind. The difference is those two back it up.

Recruiting is the blood of a Program, but the milk to grow those Recruits into Top Players comes from Coaching Minds that turns them into Great Teams!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT