ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi Says No Thanks to Kwantel Raines

And Raines was a freshman. No matter where. Just Narduzzi’s arrogance again.
I am not suggesting that Narduzzi is wrong to pass on Raines (or that he was wrong to pass on Wade). I don't know anything about Raines other than that he was a highly recruited player out of Aliquippa.

Reactions: PittFamily2
Because Petrishen isn't taking up a scholarship. It's that simple.

He will be on scholarship in a few months.

If Wade still wants to come home, then Narduzzi should send that Pitt 18 wheeler to pick him up. He had a good season on a great team.

First of all, there's a very real chance that Raines isn't very good. Was anyone blown away by his high school tape? I certainly was not. Second, why would you want to send a message that you can go and fail somewhere else, but we'll still welcome you back with open arms? Sounds like a good way to get even less top-level WPIAL recruits.

what does Ford have to do with my comment? The example I gave wasn't the 1st time Wade has struggled in coverage. I never said Wade wasn't good.
My point is that a strong tackler at safety is extremely valuable. Sure I want superman who is the complete package and can do it all, but not many of those guys exist.

First of all, there's a very real chance that Raines isn't very good. Was anyone blown away by his high school tape? I certainly was not. Second, why would you want to send a message that you can go and fail somewhere else, but we'll still welcome you back with open arms? Sounds like a good way to get even less top-level WPIAL recruits.
I guess the question is, is he better or potentially better than Jazzee Stocker? Because that was our top depth player at safety the past 2 years--and he struggled out there.

I guess the question is, is he better or potentially better than Jazzee Stocker? Because that was our top depth player at safety the past 2 years--and he struggled out there.

I think we mostly viewed Raines as a linebacker while recruiting him, and we definitely would now--he's added considerable weight.

My point: Even IF you thought Raines could improve your team, you eat the short-term loss in pursuit of the better long-term gains. You can't create a culture where we're merely viewed as Second Chance U for all these local recruits.

Look at all the time we invested recruiting him. Would you propose to a girl, have her say no, watch her marry someone else, and then take her back after she got divorced? It's just not a good image. Not at all.

Again, though... all of this is moot, because I don't think he's very good. Were people demanding that Will Gragg see more playing time and praising him as the savior of our tight end room the past few years? Because he was a 4-star just like Raines. No, they weren't. And that's because he wasn't a local recruit. Fans get absolutely enamored with these local guys.

I cant help but think that bringing in Raines at LB or DB may go against promises made to future recruits.

We have a 4 star LB committed for 2021. Im guessing PN has promised certain recruits at that position. The optics of bringing in a transfer LB would not be good, I think.

I think we mostly viewed Raines as a linebacker while recruiting him, and we definitely would now--he's added considerable weight.

My point: Even IF you thought Raines could improve your team, you eat the short-term loss in pursuit of the better long-term gains. You can't create a culture where we're merely viewed as Second Chance U for all these local recruits.

Look at all the time we invested recruiting him. Would you propose to a girl, have her say no, watch her marry someone else, and then take her back after she got divorced? It's just not a good image. Not at all.

Again, though... all of this is moot, because I don't think he's very good. Were people demanding that Will Gragg see more playing time and praising him as the savior of our tight end room the past few years? Because he was a 4-star just like Raines. No, they weren't. And that's because he wasn't a local recruit. Fans get absolutely enamored with these local guys.
I honestly don't have strong feelings about this either way but what makes you say he's not very good? He just came off his RS freshman year and the DC who recruited him to WVU is gone and has changed the scheme. he was at least getting on the field as a RS freshman. Gragg was a grad transfer who hadn't done anything at Arkansas in the 3 years he was there before Pitt. Apples and oranges.

I honestly don't have strong feelings about this either way but what makes you say he's not very good? He just came off his RS freshman year and the DC who recruited him to WVU is gone and has changed the scheme. he was at least getting on the field as a RS freshman. Gragg was a grad transfer who hadn't done anything at Arkansas in the 3 years he was there before Pitt. Apples and oranges.

Both of their starting safeties, and I think even a third safety, transferred before the season began. I'm not putting a ton of stock into being able to get on the field under those circumstances. I didn't mean to sound so definitive that he isn't any good... you're right; maybe he will be. But I just never loved what I saw from him, and he's probably not in great standing down there if he's leaving.

Another unbelievably stupid move by Narduzzi. What an arrogant, egocentric piece of crap.

Hamlin is gone, Dane Jackson is gone, Ford is exploring leaving, and Coleman is transferring.

There is zero reason to not take a flyer on Raines, but he can’t get out of the way of his own ego.

Unless we are getting players from somewhere else? or flipping the kid from FSU...Brandon Hill is going to play soon too...highly rated and came in making plays at camp.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Raines wouldn’t play safety for us, so try comparing him to our OLB. Raines also does not want to play OLB.

Given he passed on wade as well, I have to think that is the reason. With the amount of DB’s that may be going away next year I would have taken him and wade. Even if Raines was willing to move to LB I would have taken a flyer there.

Raines you can explain at least a bit...you can’t explain wade.
He couldn't play this coming season anyway. Maybe they think they have better guys coming in

Wade really had a good season at psu which to me was a surprise.
We ask a lot from the safeties in this defense... I don't think this is the right scheme for a player like Wade.

Reactions: cpc247
Another unbelievably stupid move by Narduzzi. What an arrogant, egocentric piece of crap.

Hamlin is gone, Dane Jackson is gone, Ford is exploring leaving, and Coleman is transferring.

There is zero reason to not take a flyer on Raines, but he can’t get out of the way of his own ego.

The reason is a wasted scholly. 1 yr for a dude who has 10 career tackles? If he wasnt from Quip or WPIAL.. NO ONE WOULD FEEL THIS WAY

Good thing you didn’t watch the whole game. Would have been worse if he wouldn’t have forced three fumbles

Pitt fan: “Is Kwantel any good?”
WVU fan: “He’s ok.
Kwantel: “Guess who got reinstated?! Well, not officially. You nervous? Yeah, me too. Ahhhh, we’ll figure it out. I’ll see you in there.”

Reactions: H2P-2007 and JD1976
omg, can't this board ever let him go......the great one isn't even in the top 20 of rushing this year. I know, injuries., but you can't make the club from the tub.
I said he was Rashard Medenhall with more hype, but I was surprised with his pass blocking and pass catching consistently....he still is the FIRST PSU guy in decades to be a potential pro bowl back while Pitt consistently churns them out....

Barkley is awesome...what a generational talent. No way in hell the Giants have those 2 wins without him!
If he's not hurt early on their 500. Lol. I actually had him has a mid first rounder but PSU always gets hype behind their guys while Pitt guys get overlooked ( see Aaron Donald)

Reactions: PittPanthers90
If he's not hurt early on their 500. Lol. I actually had him has a mid first rounder but PSU always gets hype behind their guys while Pitt guys get overlooked ( see Aaron Donald)

He was healthy last year...they won 5 games all year.

The Giants were very foolish to take a RB that high.

AD doesn't get overlooked... he just won back to back DPOY awards.

Reactions: pittdan77
He was healthy last year...they won 5 games all year.

The Giants were very foolish to take a RB that high.

Yep. I'm a big fan of Barkley but that was the wrong pick. The Giants were doing 2 different things at the same time: win now (drafting Barkley) and building for the future (trading Odell Beckham). Should have gone all in on one or the other. If you really wanted to build for the future, they should have drafted Chubb or Quentin Nelson, who was probably the best OG prospect since DeCastro. Or trade down for a guy like Fitzpatrick or Derwin James, or Marcus Davenport....or on and on and on.

If you were committed to winning at the time, draft Barkley and don't trade Beckham. Simple as that. Now the Giants have a RB who makes $10m per year and they haven't solved any issues with their line or defense. It was madness.

13th is very high... 13th isnt getting overlooked.
It is when you consider he only got moved up draft boards due to combine performance. If he had the same film at Ohio State or Alabama he'd went top 5. And at the time some scouts thought 13 WAS higher than expected. I on the other hand compared him to Suh when he was at Nebraska and people laughed. Pitt guys are always overlooked. The only one who wasn't was Fitzgerald. Guys like Revis, McCoy, Dion Lewis where all underrated going into the draft.

Yep. I'm a big fan of Barkley but that was the wrong pick. The Giants were doing 2 different things at the same time: win now (drafting Barkley) and building for the future (trading Odell Beckham). Should have gone all in on one or the other. If you really wanted to build for the future, they should have drafted Chubb or Quentin Nelson, who was probably the best OG prospect since DeCastro. Or trade down for a guy like Fitzpatrick or Derwin James, or Marcus Davenport....or on and on and on.

If you were committed to winning at the time, draft Barkley and don't trade Beckham. Simple as that. Now the Giants have a RB who makes $10m per year and they haven't solved any issues with their line or defense. It was madness.
But all those idiot gm's do it. Always picking first or top 5 every year and you always gotta draft a new qb. They never think, " maybe we should build from the football out and only get a qb once we can protect him and have weapons around him. Andy Reid is the ONLY guy in the league who has the same philosophy i have which is get the lineman, and receivers first , then get the qb. Proof? When he drafted McNabb my brother in law said they " needed so many other things not a qb who was a project". But Andy Reid said he felt good about the team and now wanted a qb to run his offense. The bullets mean nothing if you have no gun. Too bad gms are idiots

if petrishen is our starting safety next year, we are in serious trouble. special teams cast off from psu comes in and starts in pitt's secondary? That would be a disgrace to Narduzzi's program, flat out embarrassing..

It's pretty funny now but the same thing was said about kylan johnson before this season.

Sounds like he approached Pitt like Wade did and was also told "thanks but no thanks".
LOL. Still funny how it always comes full circle. Sorry Lamont, not this time! Hamlin and Ford are our safeties, who are both NFL talents, we got them. PSU can have the "5 star". By the way, does he have an INT yet?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT