ADVERTISEMENT

National Collegiate Duals 12/18

wrestlingfan22

Scholarship
Dec 11, 2022
Pitt is in a national tournament with some good teams, their pool contains Little Rock, ISU and Cornell. The other pool contains NC State, UNI, Ohio State and Lock Haven. There are not any cross-pool matchups so we only have those three matches. The schedule should be: 2pm vs ISU, 4pm vs Cornell, 6pm vs Little Rock. Possibility for some huge matches and matchups here, will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Pitt is in a national tournament with some good teams, their pool contains Little Rock, ISU and Cornell. The other pool contains NC State, UNI, Ohio State and Lock Haven. There are not any cross-pool matchups so we only have those three matches. The schedule should be: 2pm vs ISU, 4pm vs Cornell, 6pm vs Little Rock. Possibility for some huge matches and matchups here, will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
Is it on flo? Espn +? Hopefulling espn+ but not holding my breath. H2P

I believe it was created by one of the founders of Flo and it is a platform for content creators to host and manage their content. They got their start by hosting a lot of wrestling content creators and took off in that space when Willie left Flo and started there. The other bigger name over there is Justin Basch, they also bunch of creators who only cover individual states, the NLWC has an active channel, PWC has one but it is not active, Ben Askren was there for a time, and there are a lot of other creators over there.

They host a few live wrestling events per year on the site and you will need a subscription and the collegiate duals will be pay per view meaning more money to watch

I believe it was created by one of the founders of Flo and it is a platform for content creators to host and manage their content. They got their start by hosting a lot of wrestling content creators and took off in that space when Willie left Flo and started there. The other bigger name over there is Justin Basch, they also bunch of creators who only cover individual states, the NLWC has an active channel, PWC has one but it is not active, Ben Askren was there for a time, and there are a lot of other creators over there.

They host a few live wrestling events per year on the site and you will need a subscription and the collegiate duals will be pay per view meaning more money to watch
So Id have to subscribe AND pay extra for the event???

Reactions: _DBHoops
I thought the setup for this event was better last year with 12 teams, more matches to watch, and one cross pool match.
I feel that Pitt has a strange ability to join events in the years its not as good as others. Feel thats happen with Cliff Keen, Southern Scuffle, and Midlands in recent years

Welp, I'm not buying a subscription to watch, so I guess I'll just read about it after it's over. I don't think it's great for the sport to have to pay for subscription channels to watch it. Why can't the Pitt matches(and other ACC teams) be on ACC digital on the espn app?

Welp, I'm not buying a subscription to watch, so I guess I'll just read about it after it's over. I don't think it's great for the sport to have to pay for subscription channels to watch it. Why can't the Pitt matches(and other ACC teams) be on ACC digital on the espn app?
It is an invitational tournament put on by Journeyman Wrestling and not a traditional dual and they get to sell the broadcast rights.

I think Rokfin is worth it personally. I enjoy listening to Willies podcast on Matscouts and Justin Basch. Intermat has been putting out some good articles on there and PA Power wrestling is posting on there quite often.

Im not a fan though of having to pay for a subscription to it, then have to pay extra to watch something on there if that is the case with National Collegiate Duals. Either charge the subscription for it and let us watch these for free, or make the service free and charge us for the events.

PREVIEW:
First off I want to thank everyone for all the positive reactions to the previews. I just started doing them to help generate interest/help people know what to expect coming into our duals.
I will do this preview in chronological order: ISU then Cornell then Little Rock. I am adding Intermat rankings into the preview just to see if I like it better.

IOWA STATE:
125: Camacho vs #22 Terukina
Colton has another ranked matchup to start off NCD. Terukina started the year off well, majoring returning AA Eric Barnett to begin 3-0 to start the year. Since then he is 1-3, losing to Nico Provo, Drake Ayala and Richard Castro-Sandoval. The loss the RCS is what gives me the most hope for Camacho as that is someone in the same tier of unranked limbo. Based on Camacho's positive momentum I am going to count this as a toss up even though it would be an upset based on the rankings. Toss Up.

133: #23 Santaniello vs #8 Frost
Frost is a redshirt freshman who just keeps winning. He is 8-1 so far with his only loss coming in the CKLV Finals to Kai Orine. His best wins are Teske, Tyler Knox and Julian Farber. He seems to have made a huge jump since last year and is the favorite in my opinion. Vin has a shot but I would expect Frost to have him scouted and stay out of the underhook. ISU Favored.

141: #15 Matthews vs #14 Echemendia
Echemendia is an interesting case as a primarily freestyle guy who is really benefitting from the 3 point takedown. His best win of the season came at CKLV when he majored Cornella from Cornell (will get to him later). His other notable results are a 9-6 loss to Lachlan McNeil where he was able to score from neutral on the returning AA and a 4-1 SV loss to Real Woods where he almost took out the number 1 guy in the country as time expired. Matthews will need to dominate in top bottom and keep it in his advantage on his feet but he can absolutely pull this one out. Toss Up.

149:#19 Solomon vs #7 Swiderski
This is one of the matches I look forward to the most, Swiderski loves to get after it on his feet and I believe this will be a very entertaining matchup. His two losses on the year have come to #3 Parco and #4 D'Emilio. He lost 13-10 to D'Emilio (who Solomon just lost to 12-11). His best wins on the season are Iowa's Voinivich and Stanford's Abas. He was rd12 at 141 during last year NCAAs. Finn will need to show the neutral game he had in the first half of the D'Emilio match to pull this one off. ISU Favored

157: NR Keslar vs #21 Cody Chittum
Chittum is 4-3 this year but don't let that fool you, his losses have all come to top 8 guys in the country. He does not have any super notable wins but has a very high pedigree as a recruit and 2/3 losses have been by a razor thin margain. Keslar will need to wrestle his best and keep it lower scoring to pull this one off. ISU favored

First half Recap: 0 Pitt favored, 3 ISU favored 2 Toss ups. This is similar to the tOSU first half. where we will need to do well in toss ups or pull off upsets to have a chance. Luckily we just saw how achievable that is for us.

165: #8 Heller vs #4 Carr
David Carr needs no introduction but I will give him one, National Champ and 3rd place at 157, National Finalist at 165 last year. Went 2-1 vs KOT last year. He however is coming off a CKLV where he lost to Cornell's Julian Ramirez (more about him later) in the semis. He has already has big wins this season over Hamiti, Amine and Caliendo. Last year he beat Heller 7-3 in the dual. Heller will need to wrestle his absolute best to pull this one off. ISU favored.

174: #17 Augustine vs #22 Gaitan
Last year in the dual Luca won 6-4, I expect this year to be another close match. Gaitan is 6-4 this year, all his wins coming over unranked guys and all his losses coming to ranked guys. He is kind of a wild card and has high scoring matches sometimes so I am interested to see how they really match up this time. Toss up.

184:#14 Heller vs #5 Feldkamp
They met at last years Clarion Open where Feldkamp won by fall. Feldkamp is 5-2 so far this year. He made the CKLV finals after an impressive run. He TF'ed Navy's Key (who Heller got stuck by in the dual). Feldkamp's only real blemish this season is losing to Gabe Arnold (bumping up to 184) in the CyHawk dual. In that match Feldkamp had his offense completely shut down, I doubt Reece will be able to wrestle in a similar style but it is interesting to see that it has happened. I expect this match to contain multiple feet to back sequences, hopefully our guy is the one who can come off on top in the big ones. ISU favored.

197: #17 Stout vs NR Broderson
Broderson is 4-3 on the year with all his losses coming to ranked opponents. He was ISU's postseason starter at 174 last year so Mac will have the size advantage. They have no common opponents, but I would expect a victory for the good guys, Pitt favored.

285: #10 Pitzer vs #3 Bastida
Bastida is in his first year at heavyweight (up from 197) and he looks like an absolute revelation. He is 9-0 and just won CKLV, beating 3 ranked guys. He TF'ed Griess from Navy (who beat Dayton), MD'ed Feldman from OSU and beat 2x AA Davinson from Michigan in the finals. Pitzer will maybe be able to keep up with his speed and ability from neutral but likely he will really need to wrestle great in top/bottom to pull it off. ISU Favored

2nd Half: 1 Pitt favored, 3 ISU favored, 1 Toss up

Overall: 1 Pitt favored, 6 ISU favored, 3 Toss Ups. This is a meet where we will need an upset or two to win the dual. It is possible in my opinion as I think 133, 149 and HWT especially are matches where we can pull it off. However, this would require another performance like tOSU where we dictate the tempo throughout the match. Another great measuring stick for Pitt as individuals and a Dual team.

Last edited:
I feel that Pitt has a strange ability to join events in the years its not as good as others. Feel thats happen with Cliff Keen, Southern Scuffle, and Midlands in recent years
Scuffle has always been one of my favotites. Allow back ups so you get to see up and comers.

CORNELL:
125: NR Camacho vs #5 Ungar
Ungar is coming off a CKLV where he took 2nd place after beating 2 former AA. Camacho did win their last matchup (2021) but it would be surprising if that were to happen once again. Ungar looks like a genuine AA candidate this season. Cornell favored.

133: #23 Vinny vs #3 Vito
Vito is expected to make his return to competition this weekend at NCD, the reigning NCAA and World champ he suffered a shocking loss at the beginning of the year and hasn't wrestled since. If he wrestles I would expect him to win in dominate fashion. He is obviously not unbeatable, but in the past year I feel as if he has only looked mortal a handful of times. At CKLV backup Ethan Quersehi went and was 1-2, if he goes instead of Vito then Vin is the favorite. However I expect the champ to go. Cornell favored.

141: #15 Mathews vs #16 Cornella
If everything goes to plan the 14th,15th and 16th ranked guys at 141 will have a little round robin this Saturday. Cornella is a very good wrestler who has had a strange start to the season. He placed 8th at CKLV but in all 3 of his losses he got majored or teched. The tech came against Jesse Mendez (who Cole just beat). However in the past he has wrestled very close matches against these top level guys so that tournament could have just been an aberration. I have this one like the Echemendia match, too close to call. Toss Up

149: #19 Solomon vs #33 Saunders
Cornell has 2 main options at 149. Ethan Fernandez was the guy at CKLV but MFF out of his last match and has a loss to Saunders from earlier in the year. Saunders is the one ranked by Intermat so I am going to assume he gets the nod. He is 7-1 this year with all his wins coming in opens. Either way Solomon should pull out the W in this one. Pitt favored.

157:NR Keslar vs #15 Shapiro
Shapiro came into the season incredibly hyped and looked the part in a MD dismantling of Bryce Andonian at CKLV, he then proceded to lose his next two matches (to very solid ranked guys). He also did not look 100% in his latter matches. I have not heard any injury news so I would expect that we see him, he is an absolute stud and the favorite in my opinion. Keslar can hopefully do his best to keep it close but I am not optimistic. Cornell favored

First Half: Pitt Favored 1, Cornell favored 3, Toss up 1. This is a first half with three matches that could get ugly, so it might go into halftime not looking as close as the dual is overall IMO

165: #8 Heller vs #3 Ramirez
The second incredibly tough matchup for Heller, Ramirez is a 2x Blood Round placer who just knocked off David Carr. He would then lose in the CKLV finals to Olejnik from OKST. These guys are both Vets who have many common opponents over their career but have somehow never hit. Last year at NCAA's both guys beat Alex Facundo and lost to Caleb Fish. Ramirez is the won has proven he can beat former NCAA champs so I am going to give it to him but I want to see how much trouble Heller can give him. Cornell Favored.

174:#17 Luca vs NR Baker
Baker has seemingly won the 174 job for Cornell this season, however he does not have not have any major wins and he lost to the only ranked oppo4-0 nent he faced this year. He is obviously a good wrestler but I hope Luca can cement his place as a borderline top 15 guy in the country with a dominant win. Pitt Favored

184: #14 Heller vs #9 Foca,
This one has me so puzzled. Foca came into the season ranked 2nd at 174 after finishing 3rd last year. He moved up to 184 after Loew suffered a season ending injury and looked good in his first few matches. Then at CKLV he went 1-2, including getting majored by Ayzerov from Columbia (who Heller pinned in 1 minute a month ago at the Clarion Open). That tournament was so out of character it makes me wonder if he was sick or injured or something. However, I have seen nothing of the sort online so I am operating under the assumption there were no other factors. History has this as a large Foca favor, Recency Bias as a large Heller Favor, so I will split down the middle and call it a very intriguing toss up. Toss Up

197: # 17 Stout vs #7 Cardenas
Cardenas is coming of an impressive CKLV where he won all his matches by bonus, including a TF of Big10 Champ Silas Allred and only lost to NCAA finalists Hidlay and Sloan. He placed 8th at NCAA last year. I think he is a bad matchup for Mac, as he obviously can put up points and we saw what happened with Beard. Further he is 4-0 against Luke Stout in his career which I feel can have a mental factor when game planning. Cornell Favored

285: #10 Pitzer vs #19 Fernandes
Fernandes is 9-4 on the year. His best win was over VT's Catla at CKLV, but he did lose to Feldman and McDermott. He is a former blood round finisher and no slouch, however I believe that Dayton will get the job done. Pitt Favored.

2nd Half: 2 Pitt Favored, 2 Cornell Favored, 1 Toss up.

Overall: 3 Pitt favored, 5 Cornell favored, 2 Toss up
This is a dual with not many true toss ups so a Pitt victory will come down to some guys pulling off an upset. This is a dual I am very excited to see, especially because Cornell has so many AA level guys.

Last edited:
PREVIEW:
First off I want to thank everyone for all the positive reactions to the previews. I just started doing them to help generate interest/help people know what to expect coming into our duals.
I will do this preview in chronological order: ISU then Cornell then Little Rock. I am adding Intermat rankings into the preview just to see if I like it better.

IOWA STATE:
125: Camacho vs #22 Terukina
Colton has another ranked matchup to start off NCD. Terukina started the year off well, majoring returning AA Eric Barnett to begin 3-0 to start the year. Since then he is 1-3, losing to Nico Provo, Drake Ayala and Richard Castro-Sandoval. The loss the RCS is what gives me the most hope for Camacho as that is someone in the same tier of unranked limbo. Based on Camacho's positive momentum I am going to count this as a toss up even though it would be an upset based on the rankings. Toss Up.

133: #23 Santaniello vs #8 Frost
Frost is a redshirt freshman who just keeps winning. He is 8-1 so far with his only loss coming in the CKLV Finals to Kai Orine. His best wins are Teske, Tyler Knox and Julian Farber. He seems to have made a huge jump since last year and is the favorite in my opinion. Vin has a shot but I would expect Frost to have him scouted and stay out of the underhook. ISU Favored.

141: #15 Matthews vs #14 Echemendia
Echemendia is an interesting case as a primarily freestyle guy who is really benefitting from the 3 point takedown. His best win of the season came at CKLV when he majored Cornella from Cornell (will get to him later). His other notable results are a 9-6 loss to Lachlan McNeil where he was able to score from neutral on the returning AA and a 4-1 SV loss to Real Woods where he almost took out the number 1 guy in the country as time expired. Matthews will need to dominate in top bottom and keep it in his advantage on his feet but he can absolutely pull this one out. Toss Up.

149:#19 Solomon vs #7 Swiderski
This is one of the matches I look forward to the most, Swiderski loves to get after it on his feet and I believe this will be a very entertaining matchup. His two losses on the year have come to #3 Parco and #4 D'Emilio. He lost 13-10 to D'Emilio (who Solomon just lost to 12-11). His best wins on the season are Iowa's Voinivich and Stanford's Abas. He was rd12 at 141 during last year NCAAs. Finn will need to show the neutral game he had in the first half of the D'Emilio match to pull this one off. ISU Favored

157: NR Keslar vs #21 Cody Chittum
Chittum is 4-3 this year but don't let that fool you, his losses have all come to top 8 guys in the country. He does not have any super notable wins but has a very high pedigree as a recruit and 2/3 losses have been by a razor thin margain. Keslar will need to wrestle his best and keep it lower scoring to pull this one off. ISU favored

First half Recap: 0 Pitt favored, 3 ISU favored 2 Toss ups. This is similar to the tOSU first half. where we will need to do well in toss ups or pull off upsets to have a chance. Luckily we just saw how achievable that is for us.

165: #8 Heller vs #4 Carr
David Carr needs no introduction but I will give him one, National Champ and 3rd place at 157, National Finalist at 165 last year. Went 2-1 vs KOT last year. He however is coming off a CKLV where he lost to Cornell's Julian Ramirez (more about him later) in the semis. He has already has big wins this season over Hamiti, Amine and Caliendo. Last year he beat Heller 7-3 in the dual. Heller will need to wrestle his absolute best to pull this one off. ISU favored.

174: #17 Augustine vs #22 Gaitan
Last year in the dual Luca won 6-4, I expect this year to be another close match. Gaitan is 6-4 this year, all his wins coming over unranked guys and all his losses coming to ranked guys. He is kind of a wild card and has high scoring matches sometimes so I am interested to see how they really match up this time. Toss up.

184:#14 Heller vs #5 Feldkamp
They met at last years Clarion Open where Feldkamp won by fall. Feldkamp is 5-2 so far this year. He made the CKLV finals after an impressive run. He TF'ed Navy's Key (who Heller got stuck by in the dual). Feldkamp's only real blemish this season is losing to Gabe Arnold (bumping up to 184) in the CyHawk dual. In that match Feldkamp had his offense completely shut down, I doubt Reece will be able to wrestle in a similar style but it is interesting to see that it has happened. I expect this match to contain multiple feet to back sequences, hopefully our guy is the one who can come off on top in the big ones. ISU favored.

197: #17 Stout vs NR Broderson
Broderson is 4-3 on the year with all his losses coming to ranked opponents. He was ISU's postseason starter at 174 last year so Mac will have the size advantage. They have no common opponents, but I would expect a victory for the good guys, Pitt favored.

285: #10 Pitzer vs #3 Bastida
Bastida is in his first year at heavyweight (up from 197) and he looks like an absolute revelation. He is 9-0 and just won CKLV, beating 3 ranked guys. He TF'ed Griess from Navy (who beat Dayton), MD'ed Feldman from OSU and beat 2x AA Davinson from Michigan in the finals. Pitzer will maybe be able to keep up with his speed and ability from neutral but likely he will really need to wrestle great in top/bottom to pull it off. ISU Favored

2nd Half: 1 Pitt favored, 3 ISU favored, 1 Toss up

Overall: 1 Pitt favored, 6 ISU favored, 3 Toss Ups. This is a meet where we will need an upset or two to win the dual. It is possible in my opinion as I think 133, 149 and HWT especially are matches where we can pull it off. However, this would require another performance like tOSU where we dictate the tempo throughout the match. Another great measuring stick for Pitt as individuals and a Dual team.
Great job on the analysis. Spot on.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
LITLLE ROCK

125: NR Camacho vs NR Reno
Reno is a Redshirt Junior who started his career at Nebraska. 5-3 so far this season. No super notable results, he is 0-2 against ranked wrestlers. Camacho has looked to be back at his best recently so I will give him the edge. Pitt Favored

133: #23 Vinny vs #21 Bailey
Bailey is a true freshman who is 7-0 so far this year. He is a very highly ranked recruit and has started out well this year. He has 1 win over a currently ranked wrestler and this matchup should be a very interesting clash of styles between 2 studs. Toss up.

141: #15 Matthews vs NR Van Hoenke
Van Hoenke is 4-4 so far this season. Was 9-7 last year, lost by fall in his only ranked match of the year. Matthews is a real favorite in this match and I would hope he is able to put up some points for the first time in awhile.
Pitt Favored
149: #19 Solomon vs NR Dutton
Dutton went in the last 2 duals for Little Rock so I expect him to be the guy. Jake Adams is the other option. Either way I believe Solomon is the favorite. Dutton had a very good redshirt year last season, going 8-2. However, this season he got injured at the first tournament of the year (where he picked up 2 wins) and is 1-1 against non-ranked guys since then. Pitt Favored

157: NR Keslar vs #28 Bianchi
Bianchi is 7-1 so far this year only losing to Mauller from Missouri. He majored AHR (who beat Keslar) last weekend. Keslar can definetly win this one but his record in close matches so far has me doubtful. Little Rock Favored.

First Half: 3 Pitt Favored, 1 Little Rock Favored, 1 Toss Up. I expect us to get off to a real good start in this dual. We are the better team and as long as we don't wrestle sloppy I believe we will start off well.

165: #8 Heller vs NR Bailey
Little Rock has had 3 guys go at 165 this year, Bailey went in the most recent dual and appears to be the best of the three, but they also have Brendon Abdon and Joseph Bianchi. Regardless of who goes Reece is the big favorite and I would expect that he puts up a good amount of points. Pitt Favorite

174: #17 Augustine vs #15 Brennan
Brennan is in his first year at 174 and has started well, he went 13-7 at 165 last season. He is 8-1 so far with his only loss coming to Adam Kemp. Him and Augustine have no common matchups so this will be hard to predict. I hope Luca can continue his momentum of getting the first takedown in every match, and this time hold the lead. Toss Up.

184: #14 Heller vs NR Wills
Wills is another vet who has moved up a weight class this season. Heller is the better wrestler and based on his recent performance vs tOSU I would hope he wins comfortably. Pitt Favored.

197: #17 Stout vs #13 Little
Little is a fellow redshirt freshman who started the year impressively by beating Jaxon Smith (Who beat Stout) and his only loss is to Buchanan. These two are very similar in terms of career results so I will say that this is a match that can go either way. It is a good chance for Stout to continue his momentum from tOSU. Toss Up

285: #10 Pitzer vs #27 Hill
Hill is 6-2 so far this season. He got pinned by Nevills (who Dayton beat) earlier this year. He is a real solid wrestler and no pushover, but I believe that Dayon will be able to handle him. Pitt Favored.

2nd Half: 3 Pitt favored, 0 Little Rock Favored, 2 Toss ups

Overall: 6 Pitt favored, 1 Little Rock Favored, 3 Toss ups
I expect this to be a match Pitt wins comfortably, but if we take them lightly it will not take more than 1 or 2 upsets for this dual to go very wrong. Also there is the factor of it being the third dual meet of the day so it is very possible for guys to sit or have a mental laspe. Expecting a solid win in this one and hopefully we get some upsets vs ISU and Cornell.

Last edited:
Big day tomorrow. I plan to avoid social media in the afternoon and watch the matches after work. I hope Rokfin cooperates.

It would have been nice to see UNI since we see Iowa St in a month. However hard to argue with the schedule Pitt put together this season. If we win one of the matches vs Iowa St or Cornell. Would think we have to be in top 10.

3:00 pm Iowa St
Scoring this one 16-15
key matches 125, 133, 141 and 285

5:00 Cornell
Have this one scored 17-17 coming down to bonus points.
key matches 141, 165 and 184

7:00 Little Rock
Could get some backup action in this one. 33-3
157 could be only loss. However probably drop one more match.

I am listening to match on Iowa State wrestling site. We are not doing well at all. Fin only win so far. Heller losing at 165. Cole got destroyed.

No, so far we are getting our rear ends handed to us. We got to go on a run here or we’re gonna lose very badly.

Hard to follow-up Ohio St. However not bringing the A game today. Cornell could be even worse if they dont turn it around.

Pitzer definitely coming out if dual out of reach?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT