ADVERTISEMENT

Navy Duals

wrestlingfan22

Scholarship
Dec 11, 2022
Any update on who is supposed to wrestle/ how many guys we are bringing. We have 3 duals so an option for rotations there and could also be a chance to use some of the true freshman's free matches

Close win for Luca but that was VMI's best guy. Bonus for everyone else, pins at 125/197/285*. Panthers blank VMI 47-0*

*Posting this before the Pitzer match, hope it doesn't backfire XD

Camacho continues to look like the better wrestler for 95% of every match (and then lose somehow)

Reactions: lucac
Looking lifeless so far, seven periods wrestled and zero takedowns. Navy used two totally different 10-man lineups against VMI and MSU so they are a bit more fresh.

Make that nine periods without a takedown. Cole backpedalled the whole match and tried to win on RT.

Reactions: lucac
Luca toughs it out. Shouldn't have been that close but still a nice win

Well with a lot of first year starters in the lineup I guess this shouldn’t be too unexpected but to have that poor of a performance it is disappointing. Navy is a good team no doubt about that but a little offense and the match is completely flipped around. I will say navy 157 needs to relax. Clearly punched keslar and then ran him into a table I believe purposely. I normally say just let them wrestle but that was a little extreme

Well with a lot of first year starters in the lineup I guess this shouldn’t be too unexpected but to have that poor of a performance it is disappointing. Navy is a good team no doubt about that but a little offense and the match is completely flipped around. I will say navy 157 needs to relax. Clearly punched keslar and then ran him into a table I believe purposely. I normally say just let them wrestle but that was a little extreme
Would the result likely have been different if the event were at home?

Were it a just Navy dual?

Seemed a lot of very close matches.

Missed the dual live but watched it back after. Very lackluster performance overall.
125:Camacho is just an enigma, got sloppy and gave up the takedown that decided the match
133: Vin is starting to get scouted it looks like, most of his points vs Bouzakis and Bassett came on counters and Ferretti just never really attempted a true attack from neutral. the locking hands point was a sloppy mistake considering he ended giving up the reversal anyway. The entire last minute of the match he was chasing a takedown but could never get to the legs.
141: Matthews got outwrestled, he is an amazing scrambler but seems more than content with getting into scrambles that end in stalemates, rather than look for his own points. Also Koderhandt was getting really close the entire 3rd period. I don't exactly know what he did at the end but he absolutely sold the ranch and it looked like Cole was kinda shellshocked by it.
149: Solomon's leg defense is amazing but I wish he wouldn't constantly be needing to use it. His SV performance was very impressive however. He took advantage of a sloppy shot and scored
157: Keslar was also very good at fighting off takedowns, but never looked a threat in regular time. I appreaciate him getting after it in SV and fighting through a chippy match. The closing takedown just looked like he ran out of defensive gas
Overall the first half of our lineup looked like a group of borderline qualifiers/non-placers. It is early and they will have time to improve but ONE singular takedown through Five matches is disappointing and what is even worse is I counted ZERO times that a Pitt wrestler from 125-157 was in on a leg attack. We rely too much on counter wrestling and this is what can result from that.

Last edited:
Second half now:
165: Holden takes the first leg attack of the dual and he scores! His scrambling is what I wish Matthews/Solomon's were. Always thinking about he can score from specific positions rather than just fighting to survive. Even when his opponent got in deep on a shot he defended then instantly got himself into an advantageous position where Evans just held on for a stalemate. He was close to giving up a takedown on a slide-by/shrug but he rolled through it and avoided the TD. His single attack where he throws the far leg in from the whizzer position is very good. Love how he cut his opponent up 7 to work for major, he almost got the takedown as time expired as well. Overall he was the first wrestler to actually initiate real attacks and it paid off with three takedown.
174: Luca shoots and he scores to start the match. His throw-by for the second takedown was beautiful. He worked hard for bonus and ended up giving up the late TD but held on after for the win. Wask is very good as well, he beat Luca last season.
184: Reece and Key both went at it from the beginning, he is always game for a big counter but sometimes he just needs to bail and give up the three. Luckily for him 184 is filled with guys that like to get after it, so there will be times it goes in his favor.
197: Mac looked to be the aggressor and it paid off late in second. Loved the shots he was taking
285: Dayton looked much less outsized than he did last year which is good. He also was the aggressor at times and got in deep on some attacks. His work on top is good. The takedown he gave up looked to be part of the heavyweight growing pains/ fatigue from a long day. I am not too concerned about him but he looked much more like late season Pfitzer than Lehigh/Midlands Pfitzer.
Second half of the lineup was much more lively, we could have won all five of these matches and the dual IMO. That is the one upside of this I suppose, in that a match where our 2 highest ranked wrestlers lost we realistically could have won regardless if a few of the other close matches went our way.

Second half now:
165: Holden takes the first leg attack of the dual and he scores! His scrambling is what I wish Matthews/Solomon's were. Always thinking about he can score from specific positions rather than just fighting to survive. Even when his opponent got in deep on a shot he defended then instantly got himself into an advantageous position where Evans just held on for a stalemate. He was close to giving up a takedown on a slide-by/shrug but he rolled through it and avoided the TD. His single attack where he throws the far leg in from the whizzer position is very good. Love how he cut his opponent up 7 to work for major, he almost got the takedown as time expired as well. Overall he was the first wrestler to actually initiate real attacks and it paid off with three takedown.
174: Luca shoots and he scores to start the match. His throw-by for the second takedown was beautiful. He worked hard for bonus and ended up giving up the late TD but held on after for the win. Wask is very good as well, he beat Luca last season.
184: Reece and Key both went at it from the beginning, he is always game for a big counter but sometimes he just needs to bail and give up the three. Luckily for him 184 is filled with guys that like to get after it, so there will be times it goes in his favor.
197: Mac looked to be the aggressor and it paid off late in second. Loved the shots he was taking
285: Dayton looked much less outsized than he did last year which is good. He also was the aggressor at times and got in deep on some attacks. His work on top is good. The takedown he gave up looked to be part of the heavyweight growing pains/ fatigue from a long day. I am not too concerned about him but he looked much more like late season Pfitzer than Lehigh/Midlands Pfitzer.
Second half of the lineup was much more lively, we could have won all five of these matches and the dual IMO. That is the one upside of this I suppose, in that a match where our 2 highest ranked wrestlers lost we realistically could have won regardless if a few of the other close matches went our way.
Excellent Recap & spot on observations

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT