ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS THREAD

the team does not do a lot of Live in March and I feel like that has been evident in the way they wrestled this postseason

Reactions: persp
Dam I don’t know what to say. 0-8 days in first round and looking bad while doing it. Some changes definitely needed. Completely lost all the momentum from Nino last year.

Reactions: persp
Styles make matchups. Mac has a shot

Yikes.

Doesn't mean Mac can't reach that level one day. Actually think he has a chance. Difference being that Elam was an All-American from Year 1.

Coaches failed Mac letting him go bottom in the 2nd. 5th year Nino deservedly went neutral against Elam at 2022 Nationals but 2nd year Mac is ready for the ride that forced Yonger Bastida to move up to HWT?

Reactions: persp and Chaos
what a garbage performance. unacceptable. they aren't going to replace the HC are they?

Something has to change, that was awful.

It definitely does, but I'm terrified of another Lyke hire.

Her hires:

Samantha Snider, Lance White, Jodi Hermanek - all fired.
Their replacements are 7-11, 8-24, and 8-18, to date, respectively.
Jeff Capel 97-92 (47-67 in ACC competition)
Mike Bell 118-125 (47-76 in ACC competition)
Keith Gavin 58-40 (17-18 in ACC competition, 10-18 against non-Duke ACC competition)
Emily Boissonneault 16-30
Randy Waldrum 62-45 - her sole quality hire

Her reputation is the complete opposite of her results - it's insane.

Last edited:
Yeah, this isn’t a pretty picture is it? If given a top three right now who would consider Pitt as their next coaching stop, who would those be?

You’re not wrong, but in every sport and especially Wrestling is name recognition is huge because individuals wanna know that they have a chance to win it all and be a part of something special and I’m not saying even Gavin is the wrong choice but his staff is, that’s where I’m at. I have a very close friend that is close with the Gill family and the first thing he said was is that NC State was more serious about the Wrestling program than Pitt, so what does that tell you and again I’m not saying one person‘s opinion means much, but it just gives you an overall perspective.

You’re not wrong, but in every sport and especially Wrestling is name recognition is huge because individuals wanna know that they have a chance to win it all and be a part of something special and I’m not saying even Gavin is the wrong choice but his staff is, that’s where I’m at. I have a very close friend that is close with the Gill family and the first thing he said was is that NC State was more serious about the Wrestling program than Pitt, so what does that tell you and again I’m not saying one person‘s opinion means much, but it just gives you an overall perspective.
But this does seem to be a wider perception and therefore a real issue when it comes to convincing higher rated kids why they should wrestle for Gavin and company.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, I'd just ask who is responsible for his staff looking the way it does? That's how I'm looking at it.

It gives me no glee to say that. Each one of those guys, minus Pletcher, were phenomenal for the program. I hate that it's not working, but it isn't. Lyke botched the Santoro homecoming just like she botched 95% of the other hires on her record and here we are.

The most disturbing thing for me, as a season ticket holder, is that all those curbstompings on our home mat in January & February were, theoretically, supposed to prevent today from happening.

Consi Matchups for everyone:

Cole: Kal Miller who is the 31 seed but is also 2-0 against Cole this season

Finn: Corbyn Munson who is the 15 seed but has lost to 2 guys that Finn beat, got beat badly rd 1. If Finn wrestles as good as he did against Parco he wins this.

Holden: He has Stoney Buell who just got tech falled by Peyton Hall. This is a match he 100% should win.

Luca: Benny Baker who he beat in the dual meet. Will be close but if Luca can get offensive he should win.

Reece: 31 Seed Tony Negron who just took the 2 seed into rideouts. Going into the tourney I would favor Heller but who knows.

Mac: Wehmeyer who he beat earlier this season. Should win again in this matchup.

Pitzer: Has Tinker who just lost 11-4 to Taylor. Should win this matchup.

We have a real shot at a 7-0 bounce back round but if the wrestling does not pick up in intensity ASAP the whole team will be back in Oakland tomorrow night

I’ll be all honesty here is I always I’m trying to be careful because I always appreciate the hard work these wrestlers do and the hard work that the Coaching staff does. that is like nothing different than us in the real world, if you do not do your job to the expectation then you don’t have it. Unfortunately you need to reach that expectation, now, if Lyke doesn’t have a high expectation for the program, then we have what we have

I’ll be all honesty here is I always I’m trying to be careful because I always appreciate the hard work these wrestlers do and the hard work that the Coaching staff does. that is like nothing different than us in the real world, if you do not do your job to the expectation then you don’t have it. Unfortunately you need to reach that expectation, now, if Lyke doesn’t have a high expectation for the program, then we have what we have
They need to really be underperforming to make a coaching change. The transfer portal makes it easier for kids to just leave if they aren’t happy about a coaching change. Look how many kids left Oklahoma last year and Edinboro after Flynn left.

Do you know if they were referring to how the school supports them more or are you referring to the coaching staff takes wrestling more seriously ?

I can clarify but I believe it’s the school(I know victory heights is coming) but Pitt administration

pitzer with a pin. From no takedown to 3 pins. A nice way to respond from the team

Pitzer with the fall, let’s hope the guys can come back tomorrow with the same aggression and get another good round

Reactions: Chaos
Well I’d certainly would have been happy if you told me in the morning that all 7 of our guys would make it to the second day. However still stings no one alive left in the championship side of the bracket. Recruits want to see their potential schools in the big lights on Friday and ideally Saturday night. Glad the team rebounded. Like mentioned earlier most of this was due to their seeds. Encouraged a lot by Finn. Pitzer looked more confident. Stinks he has beaten a lot of the guys in the quarters already but he is young and the off season will get him healthy

Pitzer with the fall, let’s hope the guys can come back tomorrow with the same aggression and get another good round

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT