ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament Thread

I honestly rooted for Brooks there. Hidlay is a complete idiot and so are their coaches

Yeah but a PA kid vs a non PA kid who wrestles for PSU was easy enough for me to root for Hidlay.

I will say this, I do love watching Carr greet all of them. I hope he isn't thinking of transferring there. I like him so I would hate to root againg Carr.

Now let's go Nino.

Reactions: pitt90seven
Yeah but a PA kid vs a non PA kid who wrestles for PSU was easy enough for me to root for Hidlay.

I will say this, I do love watching Carr greet all of them. I hope he isn't thinking of transferring there. I like him so I would hate to root againg Carr.

Now let's go Nino.
If his dad wasn't an ISU legend it would be interesting but really they are all friends from all the junior teams

It was less PSU and more RBY and Lee. Such likable wrestlers compared to Fix and Eierman
[/QUOTE]
Are you sick of the nitters winning yet, because I am, lol.

That wasn’t a very well officiated match.
Not remotely. They werent good all night. Those stall calls on RBY were less so stalls that the Ferarri ones.

Im not calling it a conspiracy or anything, but there were a lot of matches in the tournament when it seemed that the refs were deferring to the higher seed. It was peculiar at least

i thought jake was the better wrestler but got out-smarted. (note: i am not wrestling expert). he was much stronger but didn't use it effectively. nino's match was just a goofball match. didn't even seem like a real wrestling match.

Could someone explain the challenge in Jake's match?

the guy dropped down to Jake’s leg. You can only do that for 5 seconds or you get a stall call. I think it was a good Challenge but they didn’t overturn it. It honestly wouldn’t have mattered

End of the day no takedowns in the finals from the Pitt wrestlers were the difference. Could I argue stalling when Jake got double unders and walked him off the mat should have been stalling same with Nino being constantly shoved out when he was on bottom sure I could and maybe different refs would but you won’t win a national title hoping for a stalling. Luckily both of these guys will be back and I have no doubts they will be better. Heck of a tournament we got two AA’s and finished 11th in the nation. Although I had faith this didn’t look possible when we lost to Virginia earlier in the year

Reactions: Chaos and persp
There is certainly a lot to be excited about going into next season. Experience matters, we will be back even stronger next year!

Who said it was going to be easy?

Get better and beat him. Ferrari aint no Spencer Lee

Plus Ferrari says he weighs 220 normally. He is only 19 and he lifts a lot. Not out of the question that he grows out of this class in a year.

i was at clarion and the alumni match brought Wade back and alumni wrestled the current starters pre-season. Wade put an Taped X on the mat and went out and pinned a damn good freshman starter for Clarion right on the X. He was a beast.

Reactions: persp and HOF Coach
Plus Ferrari says he weighs 220 normally. He is only 19 and he lifts a lot. Not out of the question that he grows out of this class in a year.

I could see him going heavyweight after his post match comments. A kid to watch out for at 197 next year will be Braxton Amos from Parkersburg South. He’ll be a frosh at Wisconsin. Both he and Ferrari were the two highest recruits in last years class. He took anOlympic redshirt to try to qualify for Greco I believe. Honestly, I would take Amos over Ferrari.

i was at clarion and the alumni match brought Wade back and alumni wrestled the current starters pre-season. Wade put an Taped X on the mat and went out and pinned a damn good freshman starter for Clarion right on the X. He was a beast.
Really? Wade has to be about 70 years old! The Taped X still lives. Impressive!!

Also, Ferrari probably should have had at least 2 more stall calls on him during his ride. He was clearly pushing Nino out over and over again
Ferrari stalls on top every match. Rarely gets back points since no effort to turn guys(stalling), then he continues to push opponent out of bounds every time he gets close to escaping. That could be called every time they go out.

Ferrari stalls on top every match. Rarely gets back points since no effort to turn guys(stalling), then he continues to push opponent out of bounds every time he gets close to escaping. That could be called every time they go out.

he is good but he’s definitely not good for TV entertainment. The match was terrible. I don’t like letting someone sit on their hands and knees either.

Reactions: persp
Ferrari stalls on top every match. Rarely gets back points since no effort to turn guys(stalling), then he continues to push opponent out of bounds every time he gets close to escaping.
I was screaming at my TV for stalling every time he did it. Nino would get nearly out at the edge the center circle then Ferarri would just push hjm out from there for a restart. Under no circumstances should that NOT be stalling. That could and should be called every time they go out. He made zero attempt to return him to the mat. He also would drop to a leg and drive Nino out that way before the 5 count. If that isnt stalling I dont know what is. Then John Smith's incredulous response to the one stalling he did get makes me absolutely despise that guy. Total legend, but also a whiny jerk man-baby.
he is good but he’s definitely not good for TV entertainment. The match was terrible. I don’t like letting someone sit on their hands and knees either.
Yeah, he is good for an interview but that is it. Every match I watched of his was the same: Get a takedown in period 1 then stall for the rest of the match. It is truly awful.

But, I also believe that Nino needed to be more aggressive in the early moments of the match. From the Norfleet match on, he was very conservative with his shot selection and that does not serve him well. He is at his best when he shoots in volume and puts pressure on the big 197ers to wrestle hard to defend and it gasses them. For all the credit Ferarri gets for his pace, he is often noticably tired in the third period and that is often the case with overly muscular wrestlers. Takes more energy to carry all that bulk. I firmy believe that if Nino came out looking wrestle every match like he does against Aiello, he would be extremely difficult to beat at 197, and that point was largely proved this tourney. But he went conservative. I was worried after the Norfleet match because the difference in his approach this time compared to junior nationals was obvious. He scored 3 takedowns in the first period back in the fall. Norfleet never had a chance. He barely took 3 shots in the quarterfinal match and let Norfleet stay in it. If there is one thing I will give Ferarri credit for, its that he wrestled damn near the same match though the whole tourney, and it served him very well. I hope going forward that Pitt wrestlers do the same going forward. Nerves can and probably did play a part, but Ive learned over my life that it is much more important to attack what it is that you want than play it safe and hope you are where you want to be at the end. I hope that this experience allows these guys to attack that title the next time the have the opportunity

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT