ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament Thread

Never followed wrestling - are there like… top 25 rankings? How does this tournament factor in?
You asked this at a bad time with what just happened to Micky. I’ll answer and let others correct. Yes they have rankings and there’s a variety (like football and basketball) some follow certain ones more than others. Essentially they don’t matter for the tournament other than you know who the dominant teams could be. Single wrestlers get your team cumulative points for what adds to a team total in the tournament here and based on those points your team will get ranked and win the “team title”

Reactions: lucac
Hamiti is much more skilled but obviously nowhere close on strength, and it's a true freshman vs. a sixth-year senior so out of all the really good dudes in the blood round he is prob my favorite matchup for Jake.
Odd delay. Everyone just standing around
Pitt is offer as far as throwing those bricks in I don’t think they’ve won any of them

More dumb shit mess around and found out… Cole didn’t get beat he lost that match and that’s frustrating….

Wentzel took a nap during his bout. Was losing riding time by more than 4 minutes at 1 pt. As good as this morning was for Pitt, tonight has been as bad. So disappointing.

I hope it's not a conscious thing, but it does seem like Pitt wrestles very conservative in big matches. Nino was very conservative in his semi and finals matches last year. Now Matthews in the semis here.

Specifically to Matthews, where are the front headlock attempts? He hasn't looked for them at all but it's one of his best weapons. I just don't understand the strategy

I hope it's not a conscious thing, but it does seem like Pitt wrestles very conservative in big matches. Nino was very conservative in his semi and finals matches last year. Now Matthews in the semis here.

Specifically to Matthews, where are the front headlock attempts? He hasn't looked for them at all but it's one of his best weapons. I just don't understand the strategy
They need a team psychologist like PSU. Maybe it would help to get them to the next level.

I'm speechless. Can only hope next year the national championships run only morning sessions.
Yeah whatever tbeir afternoon routine is isn't working. Or else they need to adjust their S&C program. They all looked dead tonight.

Could have 4 should have 3 better have 2 only end with 1 all American really disappointing tournament. While last year was probably an anomaly there shouldn’t have been this kind of drop off… inexcusable

Reactions: persp
It’s a shame, I’ll never question the effort cause this is as much as a pressure situation as they could face but they just didn’t wrestle good, none of them!! Still love them and am cheering for Matthew’s to get 3rd!! H2P

Reactions: lucac and Chaos
I think Pitt is like 0-6 in blood round matches under Gavin. Not a good look.

Could have 4 should have 3 better have 2 only end with 1 all American really disappointing tournament. While last year was probably an anomaly there shouldn’t have been this kind of drop off… inexcusable
To be fair, the Ivy league schools didn't wrestle last year, but it's still disappointing.

Reactions: PittEngineer12
Really Nino is the only one that wrestled worse than his seed. But the way we lost tonight was rough.

Reactions: Kop816
Cleary just doesn't seem to have the gas tank to go get these close matches at the end. Honestly he wrestled well though two heartbreaking 1 point losses.
He just has very little offense. Almost all his matches are close. He has trouble finishing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT