ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Wrestling Championship

PittEngineer12

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2011
Bracket

So much potential just as a wrestling fan for great matchups.

Wentzel in my opinion has the best path for success for Pitt.

Nino in my opinion got a as Dicky V would say “a raw deal”

Looking forward to this either way!

Reactions: lucac and persp
I actually kind of like Nino's path. He beat Norfleet pretty handily in November at U23's. Having a guy has highly ranked as Aiello does kind of suck but like we saw a week ago he completely owned that match up.

Jake has a good path for sure, O'Toole is a super freshman but he has not been tested all year really so that should be a great match but all matches after the first round or two will be difficult

Micky vs Desanto is a matchup I have been wanting to see. Crazy tough path but if he gets by Desanto he would likely face Fix who he has beaten in the past

Cole will be more than likely fall to #1 seed early on but if there is anyone who can bust up a bracket it is him

Harvey is not going to be favored against Deprez (he has wrestled Nino probably 20x in their careers) so at least he has the book on him.

Overall there is some clear paths, all you can truly ask for this time of year. I am pumped I see AA's in Pitt's future which is something this program desperately needs

I actually kind of like Nino's path. He beat Norfleet pretty handily in November at U23's. Having a guy has highly ranked as Aiello does kind of suck but like we saw a week ago he completely owned that match up.

Jake has a good path for sure, O'Toole is a super freshman but he has not been tested all year really so that should be a great match but all matches after the first round or two will be difficult

Micky vs Desanto is a matchup I have been wanting to see. Crazy tough path but if he gets by Desanto he would likely face Fix who he has beaten in the past

Cole will be more than likely fall to #1 seed early on but if there is anyone who can bust up a bracket it is him

Harvey is not going to be favored against Deprez (he has wrestled Nino probably 20x in their careers) so at least he has the book on him.

Overall there is some clear paths, all you can truly ask for this time of year. I am pumped I see AA's in Pitt's future which is something this program desperately needs
Yeah, I think Pitt will get 3 AAs. Mick has a tough draw with Desanto but the weight class isnt nearly as deep as the last few years so even if he has to wrestle back, he should make it.

Definitely sucks Nino has to face Aiello again but Im not sure Aiello can beat him. Nino's activty left Aiello gassed both times.

Wentzel has a real nice draw to the semis. Robb might be toughest because he wrestles a similar style but I doubt Robb can stand up to Wentzel's strength.

Cole vs Eiermann is REALLY intriguing. I dont think Matthews can beat him straight up, but I dont think its impossible that Cole catch him somewhere. But Eiermann could scrape him too

Glad Harvey got in, but Ill be happy if he does better than 0-2. His draw was never going to be good

Reactions: PittEngineer12
I kinda like Ninos draw a lot he is just a good match up with Aiello and like Ryno pointed out the Norfleet match innthe summer went Ninos way pretty easy.

Mickey we will have to see who he gets in the wrestle backs because I don't see him beating DeSanto but hopefully im wrong.

Jake vs Keegan OToole worries me but otherwise his draw seems pretty good as well.

If I had to guess ill go with two AA's I think Jake and Nino both have a great shot at it. Mickey could AA as well but I won't predict it and Matthews and Harvey I don't think have much of a shot but you never know one of them could get hot who know.

Already off next week so should be a great couple days of wrestling viewing

I kinda like Ninos draw a lot he is just a good match up with Aiello and like Ryno pointed out the Norfleet match innthe summer went Ninos way pretty easy.

Mickey we will have to see who he gets in the wrestle backs because I don't see him beating DeSanto but hopefully im wrong.

Jake vs Keegan OToole worries me but otherwise his draw seems pretty good as well.

If I had to guess ill go with two AA's I think Jake and Nino both have a great shot at it. Mickey could AA as well but I won't predict it and Matthews and Harvey I don't think have much of a shot but you never know one of them could get hot who know.

Already off next week so should be a great couple days of wrestling viewing
If Mick doesnt AA, it will be a massive disappointment. 133 just isnt very strong this year. There isnt anyone seeded below him that i think can beat him. There isnt an RBY down there that could be a problem for him.

Also, anyone else notice our old friend Ryan Sullivan is in the top 20 at 133?

If Mick doesnt AA, it will be a massive disappointment. 133 just isnt very strong this year. There isnt anyone seeded below him that i think can beat him. There isnt an RBY down there that could be a problem for him.

I've heard that Sullivan's year is done.

Micky has a clear path to a QF with DeSanto. If he wins that QF, obv he is AA. If he loses his QF, his blood round match would probably be against Lucas Byrd, Louie Hayes or maybe Boo Dryden or Mosha Schwartz if they pull an upset. All guys who Mick should comfortably beat, although Byrd looked really good taking third at Big 10s. He was really close to taking out DeSanto in the SFs there.

Other draws:

Nino's draw is my favorite. R1 opponent from Stanford has no top 50 wins, NB has beat up on Aiello twice this year, and like folks have said the matchup with Norfleet could favor Nino. If he were to fall to Norfleet, his blood round match would most likely be against former #1 Noah Adams, or Buchanan from Wyoming if Adams is able to finally beat Buchanan.

But we stay away from Warner, Amine, Ferrari, Sloan--this is a great draw. I'm not saying he will be a finalist, but all four matches standing in his way (Stemmet, then probably Aiello, then Norfleet/Bulsak, then probably Schultz) are all winnable. I have Nino falling to Schultz, Ferrari and Amine and placing sixth.

I do not love Jake's draw. O'Toole is probably the biggest wild card in the whole event. No one knows if he's going to win a natty or go 1-2. We will know a LOT more about him after his R2 match with Monday or Amine. I think Monday wins there, which might be advantageous for Jake because KOT would face two polar opposite wrestlers in back-to-back rounds. Also, Jake's possible R2 opponent Peyton Robb is wrestling well. He went 3-2 at Big 10s with a couple upsets. No idea who will come out of the bottom quarter opposite Jake and O'Toole. Could be any of E. Smith, Wittlake, Braunagel or Valencia. They're all pretty even. After R1 nothing is going to be easy for Jake but he's proven he's capable of knocking off anyone in the field.

Cole's path to AA only exists if he beats multiple guys ranked in the 6-15 range. Parker, Demas, Simon, Sherman, Red, Hart--he'd probably have to beat one of those guys to reach the blood round and one more to AA. I'll be pulling for him.

Looking on the bright side for Gregg, Lou DePrez hasn't faced a top 20 opponent in over a year so there's a small chance there. If Gregg shows up with the same form as he did at ACCs, he'll be peaking at the right time. Assuming a first-round loss though, he then pigtail against the 32/33 loser to reach the first round of wrestlebacks. He would then face the 14 from Campbell or the 19 from Illinois, then the 13 or 20 if he won again. I think that's a solid chance to go 2-2, including the pigtail.

Byrd from Illinois looked real good at B10s

Reactions: lucac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT