ADVERTISEMENT

Nearly two weeks later, how do you feel about HC Kevin Stallings?

burnie1105

Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2010
Honestly, I feel kind of foolish about how I initially reacted; though I wasn't completely at a loss with the hire, I didn't like it, and the first two weeks of his tenure have gone about as well as they could have. He kept the recruiting class together, we've yet to hear about any current players leaving (though that could certainly still happen), and he seems to have made some good-to-great hires for his staff. Obviously the jury is still out as to whether or not he is a Final Four caliber coach, but I'm confident he will bring us back to being a Sweet 16 caliber program.

Honestly, I feel kind of foolish about how I initially reacted; though I wasn't completely at a loss with the hire, I didn't like it, and the first two weeks of his tenure have gone about as well as they could have. He kept the recruiting class together, we've yet to hear about any current players leaving (though that could certainly still happen), and he seems to have made some good-to-great hires for his staff. Obviously the jury is still out as to whether or not he is a Final Four caliber coach, but I'm confident he will bring us back to being a Sweet 16 caliber program.
For Barnes and Stallings sake they better be........

I am totally from Missouri on this. Stallings (and Barnes) need to show me--

Back to the NCAAs next season
Back to the NCAAs the following season and at least round of 32
Back to the NCAAs and at least sweet 16 in year #3.

Who was hired this offseason that was better?

Who was worse?

I'm still pretty close to my initial reaction, which was a common one, which was perplexed scorn. I don't see much in his history to make me think he can get Pitt to a consistent Sweet 16 level. If he proves me wrong on this I'll happily admit it.

For Barnes and Stallings sake they better be........

Why? Are you going to beat them up? Is the local Munhall mob going to take them out?

I think, if people could get over the Barnes disappointment, and give Stallings a chance, they will find him much more engaging and personable than mumbles Dixon. Which has to translate to recruiting and getting the message across to players.

Good hire.

I'm always supportive of any new coaches at Pitt - and have had plenty of practice and disappointments in this regard.

I really like some of the things that Coach Stallings has said since he was introduced. I like the way he prioritized, with the players coming first and how he said he knows they will make mistakes (hell, anyone who has played any sport knows that the best of players make mistakes...). But he sounds to me like a guy who recruits would want to play for.

I also like that he's a pretty good talker. Seems much more at ease than Jamie Dixon in interviews. And I like that he hasn't shied away from interviews - both local and national (heard him on "Ferrall On the Bench" the other night...)

--Players seem to like the guy;
--He has a ton of high-level coaching experience;
--Kept the recruits, even with Brandin leaving (fresh players in positions we really need...);
--Made some promising-sounding assistant hires;
--Recognizes that he needs a legit center (rather obvious but we haven't been able to get it done for a while);
--Sincere guy who can laugh at himself;
--Decent interviewee.

I'm hopeful...

Go Pitt.

Reactions: serrahome
Who was hired this offseason that was better?

Who was worse?

Who was hired that was better? Jamie Dixon.

Worse? Maybe Pastner.

Pikiell to Rutgers and Drew to Vanderbilt could easily turn out better as well. Chris Beard possibly too, though everyone is leaving UNLV, but same thing happened at Little Rock and he won a tournament game there.

Guardedly optimistic.

Hopeful he can recruit better than JD. Not sure still what to expect when it comes to our style of play and his x's and o's ability.

Who was hired that was better? Jamie Dixon.

Worse? Maybe Pastner.

Pikiell to Rutgers and Drew to Vanderbilt could easily turn out better as well. Chris Beard possibly too, though everyone is leaving UNLV, but same thing happened at Little Rock and he won a tournament game there.

They could "easily"? I don think so.

I think stallings has a better shot to be better than Dixon as opposed to Pikiell

Reactions: cabe23
They could "easily"? I don think so.

I think stallings has a better shot to be better than Dixon as opposed to Pikiell

Pikiell is a really good coach. He'll get Rutgers to the tournament before Stallings gets Pitt to the Elite 8. Considering where both schools are now, thats about equivalent success.

Drew will get to more than 2 tournaments in next 5 years, which, well I'm sure you know how many Stallings went to the past 5 years.

Pikiell is a really good coach. He'll get Rutgers to the tournament before Stallings gets Pitt to the Elite 8. Considering where both schools are now, thats about equivalent success.

Drew will get to more than 2 tournaments in next 5 years, which, well I'm sure you know how many Stallings went to the past 5 years.

Pikiell is a good coach, hes not a miracle worker, Rutgers is at rock bottom.

We'll see. I'm not going to argue about hypotheticals

With Pitt fans like yourself - who needs enemies?

I like the hire, think we will be a top 20 program most years and some deep runs in march every now and then. Maybe a final 4 as well in a few years

Didn't like it at the time and don't like it now, but have accepted it and hoping for the best.

In actuality I expect Pitt to be very similar to what they've been the last 4-5 years. Neither Dixon or Stallings are top 10-15 coaches, both are probably in the 25-30ish range. Maybe the change of scenery will be best for both of them.

I like the hire, think we will be a top 20 program most years and some deep runs in march every now and then. Maybe a final 4 as well in a few years

Can I ask, what could possibly make you think Kevin Stallings, he of 7 tourneys in 17 years, and only 2 sweet 16s, including only 2 tourneys in past 5 years, and 1 tournament win, will get this program to a Final Four?

Is it they myth that Vanderbilt could only take 30% of kids most schools could take. We all agree that isn't true, right?

Is it getting out of a conference with one great program and getting into one with four or five great programs? It certainly isn't going to be easier in the ACC than it was in the SEC.

I just can't believe anyone would actually believe this guy will lead them to the Final Four.

Didn't like it at the time and don't like it now, but have accepted it and hoping for the best.

In actuality I expect Pitt to be very similar to what they've been the last 4-5 years. Neither Dixon or Stallings are top 10-15 coaches, both are probably in the 25-30ish range. Maybe the change of scenery will be best for both of them.

Well, this should make a lot of people happy, since during the hiring process, more than a few were stating and agreeing that Pitt was a 50-60ish program.

Can I ask, what could possibly make you think Kevin Stallings, he of 7 tourneys in 17 years, and only 2 sweet 16s, including only 2 tourneys in past 5 years, and 1 tournament win, will get this program to a Final Four?

Is it they myth that Vanderbilt could only take 30% of kids most schools could take. We all agree that isn't true, right?

Is it getting out of a conference with one great program and getting into one with four or five great programs? It certainly isn't going to be easier in the ACC than it was in the SEC.

I just can't believe anyone would actually believe this guy will lead them to the Final Four.
And he did all of that with some NBA players/prospects. I am with you as far as being worried, and am not thrilled about the hire. Here's hoping he's not our Jim Christian.

Reactions: Ski11585
It is what it is.

For me, I can bemoan it from day one and be miserable or have an open mind and give him a chance.

As someone else said, based on his VERY well established record you would expect something close to what jd did overall.

Not as good as the first half of his tenure, not as modest as the last half.

After the initial reaction (which again was made worse by how barnes talked about it going into it) I actually get the logic of the hire.

IMO Barnes saw a low risk because of that establised record it is a pretty safe bet he wont let the program sink much lower than where it has been the last half decade or so.

Conversely there is a chance he does better if somehow vandy was holding him back.

-Mike Brey didn't do anything in his first 19 years as a D1 basketball Coach. He made 10 Tournament appearances total and he coaches at Notre Dame. NOTRE DAME, not Vanderbilt. He has now gone to back to back Elite 8's because of recruiting a couple really good players, including guards.

-Suggesting a Coach is going to fail when he was 2 seconds away from an Elite 8 is flat out dumb. Stallings may not be the best hire, or even a good hire, but if he gets 1 Elite Guard that has another gear to take basketball games over, he can make a run. Perhaps Kithcart will be that guard. I also think Pitt is going to be pretty dam good next year.

-Are we talking about the same Pikiell that has Coached in D1 for 12 years and has gone to the NCAA tournament 1 time? The same Rutgers program that hasn't made an NCAA Tournament in the last 26 years. The same Rutgers program that won 7 games total this year, 1 Big Ten game, and is losing 3 of their top 8 scorers? That Rutgers program?

-Stallings was 2 seconds away from making the Elite 8 in 2007. He had the lead with 2 seconds to go in the game. That gives me more reason to believe that Stalling can get to the Elite 8, based off being 2 seconds away, as opposed to what will be a 27 year drought at Rutgers.

-Another braindead post by you.
Sweet 16 and almost elite 8 like 9 years ago?

Still upset with Barnes with the "how" this was done and the apparent lack of interest in this job from the coaching community (I say apparent because I don't really know and Barnes will never say). However, It is not KS's "fault" he was hired so I am hoping for the best and at a minimum won't have to watch the coach scream instructions on every single pass and every single shot on every single play from the middle of the floor. Others around me didn't seem to mind, but I was done with that circus act. Any new pics of Nix from bodybuilding.com?

-Mike Brey didn't do anything in his first 19 years as a D1 basketball Coach. He made 10 Tournament appearances total and he coaches at Notre Dame. NOTRE DAME, not Vanderbilt. He has now gone to back to back Elite 8's because of recruiting a couple really good players, including guards.

-Suggesting a Coach is going to fail when he was 2 seconds away from an Elite 8 is flat out dumb. Stallings may not be the best hire, or even a good hire, but if he gets 1 Elite Guard that has another gear to take basketball games over, he can make a run. Perhaps Kithcart will be that guard. I also think Pitt is going to be pretty dam good next year.
But it's OK to demean a coach that was ONE second away from a F4?? Or 5 seconds away from a very possible F4 shot 2 years later?? Selective history.

-By the way, that Mike Brey team that made the Elite 8? They were 15-17 the prior year, and finished tied for 12th in the ACC. So suggesting Pitt has no chance next year is also flat out dumb, by you or anyone else.
But ND didn't change coaches.

But it's OK to demean a coach that was ONE second away from a F4?? Or 5 seconds away from a very possible F4 shot 2 years later?? Selective history.

-The reality is Jamie Dixon hasn't got the job done since 2009. And the truth is neither has Stallings. But sometimes when you get a change in scenery, good things sometimes happen. Im in the camp, regardless of how loaded the ACC was this year, was that Dixon really underachieved with this years team. I dont blame talent, I blame Dixon.

-I wont fault the team or Dixon for losing to Villanova. Even with what happened with Jermaine Dixon and that costly turnover late in the game, Villanova won the game at the end. They made the plays to beat us.

-Pitt choked against Butler, horribly. We had 4 prime chances to take that game over and win in the final 1 minute, and still lost in regulation. That Butler game and this years Wisconsin game were 2 of the worst coaching jobs Ive watched in a long time, and quite honestly, maybe ever. That Butler loss will never be forgotten. It was some of the worst coaching Ive ever seen.

I think Stallings will do a better job selling the program, not just to recruits but to fans. In fact, Pitt rarely tried to sell the program. I think Stallings will be much more media friendly.

I don't know how this translates on the court. I would like to think that maybe we won't be as good of a team in Nov-Dec and be a better team in March.

-The reality is Jamie Dixon hasn't got the job done since 2009. And the truth is neither has Stallings. But sometimes when you get a change in scenery, good things sometimes happen. Im in the camp, regardless of how loaded the ACC was this year, was that Dixon really underachieved with this years team. I dont blame talent, I blame Dixon.

-I wont fault the team or Dixon for losing to Villanova. Even with what happened with Jermaine Dixon and that costly turnover late in the game, Villanova won the game at the end. They made the plays to beat us.

-Pitt choked against Butler, horribly. We had 4 prime chances to take that game over and win in the final 1 minute, and still lost in regulation. That Butler game and this years Wisconsin game were 2 of the worst coaching jobs Ive watched in a long time, and quite honestly, maybe ever. That Butler loss will never be forgotten. It was some of the worst coaching Ive ever seen.
Still pushing a false narrative. #1 seed in 2011. 24 & 26 wins in 13-14. That's in the best conference.

Still pushing a false narrative. #1 seed in 2011. 24 & 26 wins in 13-14. That's in the best conference.

-That's great and all. But you cant constantly choke under pressure in the NCAA Tournament. Stallings can come in here relaxed to a degree. He doesn't have a 13 year track record of losing to worse teams in the NCAA Tournament with more pressure building year over year.

-There is also one fine difference between Stallings and Dixon. Dixon plays not to lose in the NCAA Tournament, always did. We'll see if Stallings plays to win in the NCAA Tournament, assuming he can get us there regularly. You cant tell me Dixon didn't play not to lose against Wisconsin. Because he most certainly did.

I think Stallings will do a better job selling the program, not just to recruits but to fans. In fact, Pitt rarely tried to sell the program. I think Stallings will be much more media friendly.

I don't know how this translates on the court. I would like to think that maybe we won't be as good of a team in Nov-Dec and be a better team in March.

I get the sense that he will "own" the program a bit like Nards does ...

-That's great and all. But you cant constantly choke under pressure in the NCAA Tournament. Stallings can come in here relaxed to a degree. He doesn't have a 13 year track record of losing to worse teams in the NCAA Tournament with more pressure building year over year.

-There is also one fine difference between Stallings and Dixon. Dixon plays not to lose in the NCAA Tournament, always did. We'll see if Stallings plays to win in the NCAA Tournament, assuming he can get us there regularly. You cant tell me Dixon didn't play not to lose against Wisconsin. Because he most certainly did.

Yes, thankfully we now have a coach with Stallings' impressive tournament history. 5-7 in his career, yes?

Reactions: Chaos and Fredact
Same as I felt that day. Dixon a better coach but his defensive approach scared recruits and limited future upside. Thought we should have done a lot better than Stallings but he is a proven good coach at a tough place to win. I think he'll recruit better but almost anyone would have

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT